Tenure -- Challenge #121 (PG-13)

librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Tenure -- Challenge #121 (PG-13)

Post by librarian_7 »

Disclaimer: the usual. If you recognize it from ML, I don't own it.

Thanks as always are due to my patient and understanding beta, the admirable Lilly.

This is in answer to a question that many have asked...namely, "what was someone thinking?"

Tenure

Hearst College, Los Angeles, May, 1935

Gerald Stochansky fidgeted, tugging nervously at his bow tie and running one hand through his thinning hair. His half glasses slipped down on his nose, as they always did when he was agitated, and he peered over them at the young woman smiling at him, her notebooks perched agressively on her hip, wating for a response to her offer. He’d heard of such things, of course, but…having spent his career at all-mens’ schools, he’d never been confronted with the reality before. At least, not so bluntly. And now that he was, he reflected that he still wasn’t sure letting women into higher education was such a good idea, anyway. He could still remember, in his younger days, the debates over pipes and beer about giving them the vote. He hadn’t been in favor of that, either.

He sighed. He’d promised himself a trip to his favorite restaurant tonight for a pork bun, as a reward for the completion of his latest paper. He felt that was one of the perks of moving to the West Coast. The Chinese food was much better here. Not that he’d ever had a problem with research and publication. That was easy; physics was a precise field, all equations and concepts. No human factor, not like instruction. Teaching wasn’t his strong suit, but without good student evaluations, he’d never get re-appointed, and this time, he wanted something that lasted. He wanted tenure.

And now, here was this bouncy blonde, very collegiate in her thin, tight sweater with the Peter Pan collar peeking out above it, and the slender skirt hugging her hips and thighs, above ankle socks and scuffed saddle shoes. He supposed he was lucky she wasn’t in rolled up dungarees, a fashion he found extremely offensive. Young ladies should be…young ladies. Not what his father would have called brazen hussies.

He’d called her in to discuss her poor performance in his class, but somehow the conversation wasn’t going exactly as he’d planned. All he wanted was for it to be over, so he could escape campus and get to the Empress Pavillion.

“Excuse me, Miss Harper?” he said.

She put down her books and eased around the corner of his desk, suprisingly graceful, considering the general gracelessness of her attire. Her smile was winsome, though. Winsome and utterly attractive. Women never smiled at him like that, and he had no idea what to do about it now.

“You see, Professor Stochansky,” she said, punctuating her phrases with a slow glide of the tip of her pink tongue across her lips, “I’ve had a very busy semester. Not enough nights with my nose in the books, I’m afraid.”

“Yes, so you said, but—”

“If I don’t get an A in physics, the Dean of Faculties is making noises about rustication.” She bit her bottom lip, the edges of her front teeth so very white against the red of her mouth. Professor Stochansky felt the temperate May afternoon had suddenly gotten much warmer. He refrained from pulling at his tie with an effort, and told himself under no circumstances would he even consider removing his jacket. He was quite—firm—on that point. “And I would hate to leave college,” she continued, coming closer. “I do love it here.”

Good heavens, was that a hand resting against his shirtfront?

“Now, then, Miss Harper, that really isn’t—”

Her smile was broader, sunny. He’d never noticed before what perfect white teeth she had. Perhaps a bit sharp, but perfect. “Professor Stochansky—Gerald—please call me Lisa. I think we can be on first names, under the circumstances.” He backed up a little, but she moved closer, following him.

He swallowed hard. His bowtie was too tight. Apparently not for long, though, as that slender hand was tugging at it, untying the neat knot. It looked as though he wasn’t going to get a lot of choice in the matter.

“Miss Harper—”

“Lisa.”

How was it she was able to be even closer. He could feel her breath against the skin of his neck, and her hands holding him were strangely strong.

“This is really not appropriate, Lisa. I have ethics to uphold.” His hips hit the table where he kept all his papers neatly stacked, rocking it slightly. He was running out of room to back up, and she seemed to be incapable of understanding “no.” Perhaps he could acquiesce, and let her do whatever magic she was obviously offering…and still stick to his guns. After all, what could she say?

Now, she seemed to be breathing in his ear, her voice low and intimate, as though she’d read his mind. “I can tell you’re thinking about taking advantage of me, and not giving me the grade. Professor Hennessey, in English, tried that last semester. And you know…he’s gone this term. See, I may not study, but I’m smarter than that.”

Stochansky gulped. “I don’t know what you mean.”

“Oh, I think you do, Gerald.” Her body was pressed against his, and his breath hitched in his chest. “But you see…” and she put her mouth down to his neck, where he could feel the sharpness of her teeth, “what I’m giving you is not what you think. It’s more than a fair trade, though…I get an A, and I get to stay at Hearst, and you get…eternity.”
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Re: Tenure -- Challenge #121 (PG-13)

Post by francis »

Is this THE Lisa from Sonata? Seems like that. Flirty, clothes a bit more revealing than truly necessary, and liking the life at the college. So she was there for so long?
Now what was she thinking? Couldn't she get a grade without turning him? If L.A. is populated by elder academic vampires, it's her fault.
Great explanation. :rolling:
AggieVamp
Rogue vampire

Post by AggieVamp »

oh NO she didn't! I *LIKED* Lisa! But now? EWWW.... :blecch: to turn HIM?
But a good story (as always) :teeth:
Karen
Banner by HotMicks

Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional - and I Opt NOT to Grow Up!
:petcat: :petcat:
eris
Sire

Post by eris »

So was Lisa a cheerleader then, too? :cheer: :snicker:

Gerald S was one of those vamps that you just had to wonder HOW he happened. He seemed like a nice enough guy, but not really vampire material. This is a plausible scenario. (And a much more favorable outcome than her English prof.) :eek2:

Though with the number of times Lisa's been through college, you'd think she could at least pass English on her own.
cassysj
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by cassysj »

Wonderful story but Gerald is not someone I'd want to make immortal under any circumstances no matter what I needed. :no:
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by Lilly »

THIS was a stroke of genius. :notworthy:

How many times have we heard people wonder who would turn a guy like Gerald Stovsky? And, for heaven's sake, why?? You came up with the perfect answer. Stovsky's voice is spot on here: socially awkward, set in his ways, but oddly boyish. The phrasing is perfect, even when he's not speaking...
Good heavens, was that a hand resting against his shirtfront?
I love this. :heart:
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
Avatar from "Matasaburo of the Wind" © 2009 Alex Gross, used with the permission of the artist
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Brilliant to associate those two charaters. It never occurred to me that they ever met but this is entirely plausible.

I liked Lisa in Sonata. She seemed extremely practical and had found an unexpected, nonlethal way to survive as a vampire without doing any serious harm.

Nicely done!

Jenna

:flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers:
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Lucky, this is awesome. I can sooooo see Cheer-Lisa dressed in 30's college attire. She's got the perfect face for it. And poor Gerald, so completely taken by surprise by this, uh... turn of events. :laugh: I've got to say, one might wish that Lisa had been a bit more discriminating in her tastes, but hey--a girl's got to do what a girl's got to do, as she might say. ;)

Thank you for tying up all of these deliciously loose ends into such a perfect bow (-tie). :teeth:
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by Lilly »

allegrita wrote:Thank you for tying up all of these deliciously loose ends into such a perfect bow (-tie). :teeth:
:snicker: Yeah, what she said.
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
Avatar from "Matasaburo of the Wind" © 2009 Alex Gross, used with the permission of the artist
Luxe de Luxe
Sire

Post by Luxe de Luxe »

I kept nodding at the seductress being 'Lisa', thinking yes, of course, it all makes sense. The voice of Stochansky got me in straight away, you make it all look so easy.
Banner by the talented Hot Micks
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

:teeth: Thanks, all. I'd had this idea for awhile, and it finally came together.

I'm figuring Lisa thought that as his sire, she had the poor prof under her thumb.

Lucky
MoonShadow
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by MoonShadow »

:twothumbs:
Had him under her thumb, is one way of putting it. :snicker:

Nice Job!!!
Banner by Lilly

Be bloody, bold, and resolute; laugh to scorn
The power of man, for none of woman born
Shall harm Macbeth.

Macbeth, 4. 1
moonlight_vixen
Courtesan

Post by moonlight_vixen »

This was such a great piece! You definitely have done it again Lucky :notworthy: And I'm with several others here, as I would NOT pick Gerald to give eternity to :noway: Not much vamp comes out of him... :whistle:
Banner And Avatar By Me
______________________________________________________________________________________
Proud Josef Exclusive+
Proud Co-Founder Of Maroon-A-Holics
THINK KOSTAN!
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

I know, he doesn't seem like anyone's idea of a vamp. But evidently SOMEONE turned him. And college student Lisa seemed like as good a sire as any!

Thanks for reading!

Lucky
Moonlighter
Rogue vampire
Location: Found my nice soft place, snuggled up next to Mick in th-this fr-fr-frigid fr-fr-freezer...

Post by Moonlighter »

:rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:
OMG -- Cheerleader Lisa is Gerald Stovsky's sire? Hilarious!! I would have never, ever put those two together, and Lucky you did this effortlessly. So funny! But you have to figure there was something other than good grades making her want to stick around Hearst College.

Nice, Lucky!
Banner courtesy of the wonderfully talented, Moderator Most Awesome, soon-to-be-missed Phoenix!

Return to “Drabbles and Short Pieces”