No Longer Killing Time (G) - Challenge #117

A place for MickLifeCrisis' G to PG-13 stories
MickLifeCrisis
100% Moonlightaholic

No Longer Killing Time (G) - Challenge #117

Post by MickLifeCrisis »

As usual, I don't own Moonlight or any of its characters.
This is for the "Killing Time" Challenge #117. Rated G.

No Longer Killing Time

“Deal me out this hand, fellas, I need something to drink.” Mick got up and headed for the bar where Josef’s bartender had a scotch ready for him. Mick downed it in one gulp and sauntered over to the freshies sitting on the leather sofa, extending his hand to a pretty blonde.

“Marigold,” he nodded as she immediately stood and accompanied him to a secluded corner of Josef’s game room.

Mick returned for a few more hands of poker, but his heart wasn’t in it. He was restless and nothing he did seemed to help. Marigold had slaked his thirst, yet he was still discontented.

“I’m gonna take off now,” he said as he pocketed his winnings.

Mick drove along the Pacific Coast Highway letting his mind meander with the winding road. He had been a vampire for over 30 years now, and he could see nothing in the future for him. He was just existing; killing time to pass the hours as they turned into days, weeks, months, years. It was depressing. There must be something more. How did the old vamps keep going?

He thought of his friend Josef. He made fortunes, lost them, and made them again. Always trying to outsmart his competition. Mick thought it was the challenge that he liked best. However Mick had never failed to notice that Josef kept himself busy and constantly surrounded by others. Mick valued his privacy too much to live like that. He wondered if Josef coped with his eternal existence by never allowing himself the time to think about it.

He thought about his sire, Coraline. She played people like Josef played the stock market. She never cared about the consequences. She never stayed in one place too long before she grew bored. Even with him. Coraline couldn’t even be bothered to see him completely through his fledgling stage before dumping him with Josef. She took off for greener pastures and bigger cities but always came back, wiggling her finger as well as her hips at Mick and he was powerless to stay away. It grated on him how he loved her and hated her at the same time and she knew it. She enjoyed the hold she had over him and his painful expression when she left him again. What a way to go through eternity.

Standing outside in the shadows, he watched the little girl get tucked into bed. He remembered how she had clung to his neck the night before; how she laid her blonde head on his shoulder. How she had trusted him. He remembered the mother’s happiness at seeing her baby girl again; the grateful kiss she bestowed on Mick’s cheek. And he came to a realization.

I don’t have to just drift any more. I’m no longer killing time, because now my life has meaning. She has given me a purpose.

The end.
Last edited by MickLifeCrisis on Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MickLifeCrisis
Many thanks to Twilightdew for my banner and avi.
Moonlighter
Rogue vampire
Location: Found my nice soft place, snuggled up next to Mick in th-this fr-fr-frigid fr-fr-freezer...

Re: No Longer Killing Time (G) - Challenge #117

Post by Moonlighter »

:giggle: Of course it is his Beth that gives Mick purpose. Now he just has to kill time until she grows up! I love that you have found a way to keep Mick occupied and defer the boredom of the life of an immortal vampire. Nice, MLC.
Banner courtesy of the wonderfully talented, Moderator Most Awesome, soon-to-be-missed Phoenix!
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Oh, that's really sweet, MLC! I love this take on the challenge. Mick's finally found something to keep him going. Or shall I say, someone. :rose:
moonlightlover60
Fledgling

Post by moonlightlover60 »

Very nice MLC. Mick now has found a purpose in his life, or his reason to go on living. His Beth. :heart: Although it will be 22 years before he will refer to her as such.
NocturneInCMoll
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by NocturneInCMoll »

Very sweet. I wonder if Beth will ever realize how she saved him... if he ever tells her! :laugh:
Lucy
Ancient

Post by Lucy »

:heart: This......yes, he was killing time.....until the day he admits it to her........
:clapping:
MickLifeCrisis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by MickLifeCrisis »

Thank you all for your nice comments! :flowers:

Little Beth did indeed give meaning and purpose to his life. Little did he know at the time just how important she would become!
MickLifeCrisis
Many thanks to Twilightdew for my banner and avi.
cassysj
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by cassysj »

I love this take on the challenge. Little Beth had a profound effect on Mick's life. Now he has purpose. I can't wait for her to grow up. :cloud9:
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Love this, MickLifeCrisis!

Both Mick and Beth have some growing up to do now--Beth will become a lovely young woman and Mick will become the hero we saw on the show.

Under the circumstances, they are now becoming the others' perfect match!

Thanks

Jenna

:hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

This is sweet, MLC :hearts: Killing time when time is endless for a vamp has to be a drag and Mick yearns for more. He needs purpose, a challenge, and the little blond girl has given him one.
darkstarrising
Love – the universal language, the story of Moonlight
View My Fanfic Index

Thanks to the talented and generous Phoenix for my beautiful banner!
lorig
Fledgling

Post by lorig »

:hankie: That was beautiful MLC. I loved it!
Gorgeous banner by PinkiePie
Tag by Mags and coco
Albra
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by Albra »

Nice :rose:

I like your way of describing how Josef and Coraline cope with boredom of eternity

:rose:
nutmegger911
Cleaner

Post by nutmegger911 »

I like your story. It felt like one of those quiet moments of realization.
NM911
LIVE WIDE
It ain't canon until they've shot it (and aired it) - I said that.
Trust the Muse. - Catmoon
The system isn't broken, it's fixed. - Billo
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

Lovely, MLC (and we found the same theme in this challenge :smooch: ). Mick finally has a purpose, a reason to go on. :hearts: :hearts:

Red

Click here for my story index

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" - Emily Dickinson
Luxe de Luxe
Sire

Post by Luxe de Luxe »

in some ways, I think you've hit on one of the core themes of Moonlight.... the way that Beth gave his life purpose.
Banner by the talented Hot Micks

Return to “MickLifeCrisis' Office”