Appassionata (vignette, Josef/Sarah, PG)

A place for redwinter101's G to PG-13 stories
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Appassionata (vignette, Josef/Sarah, PG)

Post by redwinter101 »

Title: Appassionata
Author: redwinter101
Rating: PG
Disclaimer: I don't own Moonlight or any of its characters
Note: This is dedicated to greenleaf9, partly to make up for making her sob through all 12 chapters of Afterglow and also because the story was her idea. I hope you like it, sweetie. Otherwise, no warnings necessary.

******************************************************************************************************************

--- Appassionata ---

Pausing briefly to stroke the warm, ebony surround, Josef rested his fingers over the keys, eyes closed. Music was one of the things he had banished from his life after Sarah was taken from him. Its power to make him feel, to make him want, to make him remember, was something he could no longer tolerate. But now, faced with infinite possibility, he was ready once more. Summoning memories of a Viennese salon, of a dying man at the birth of a new century, he played the opening motif. Beethoven's image was sharp and clear, his anguished face etched with sorrow as he released the beautiful sounds only his audience could hear. The young vampire had sat, transfixed, transported by the beauty, the passion, the tragedy of the opening movement. That same passion, an intensity he had thought lost to him, was rediscovered through touch and feel, the resonance of foot to pedal and fingers to cool ivory.

For the first time in over a century, Josef had a reason to play and an audience to listen. It was nearly three weeks since Sarah had opened her eyes and gasped his long-unspoken name. So much had happened within the New York home that had been her protection and her prison; so many stories to tell, explanations Josef couldn't give, questions he couldn't answer; but as the music swelled, filling the space, reaching out to her, he knew they had found a way to communicate beyond words.

In their brief time together, Sarah had never known Charles Fitzgerald's talent at the piano. When he had the baby grand brought to the townhouse three days earlier, she was intrigued. Now, as she leant against the smooth curve, she felt the music coursing through her, a spark of expectancy, her candlelit lover bending to his task. Still here, with her, but lost in a timeless flow of emotion. She fancied the first movement symbolic of Charles's life before they met - dramatic, hell for leather, infused with otherwordly passion, a battle between dark forces. She watched his body move into the rhythm, fingers flashing, head bowed, absorbed in a power stronger than his own. He was playing for her, for them and as the intricacy built the man she loved was revealed to her once more. It was a bravura performance, faultless, as she would have expected, a perfectionist's pride not permitting any misstep. Her surprise was at the emotion, at Charles's surrender to a power greater than him.

Josef loved many things, especially those he could own. Women, cars, houses, ambitions, futures. But four hundred years of living had taught him that it was the things outside his control that were the most precious: love, friendship, beauty. As the intensity of the opening movement gave way to the sensual romance of the second, he felt the change in Sarah. He wasn't sure if it was simple enjoyment of the melody, or something more, something deeper. He looked to her; her eyes were closed, her body softened against the forgiving curves of the piano and he could feel her remembering, summoning their year of falling in love. The devotion she had poured out in her diary flowed and for a moment, Josef was Charles again, a young lover admiring his sweetheart, hopeful, full of plans and dreams. She moved closer, drawn by reconnection, her memories of their time together, once shrouded in the fog of years lost, now sharp and bright. Charles's smile, his touch, holding hands, laughing, the joys of being young and in love.

All too brief.

The romance of times past subsided; from the moment he pounded out the opening, mournful chords of the final movement, joy gave way to a dark intensity. Charles's whole demeanour changed; he hunched forward, taut. Sarah stifled a gasp as realisation hit - this was how Josef Kostan had come to being. He was showing her, telling the story of his last half-century, how Charles Fitzgerald had died the day she slipped away from him. She saw his anguish, felt his guilt at what he had done, his grief for lost love. In his revelation she found understanding; Josef Kostan wasn't Charles Fitzgerald by another name. He was different, still familiar, but new. He had tried to tell her in words, to prepare her for the man he had become, but it had taken this precious moment to reveal his truth.

A world of contrasts brought into sharp relief; the great composer brought to despair by silence; the powerful, mysterious vampire made vulnerable by love; and her. She was no longer human but neither was she a vampire. Would they be able to find each other again, to find a new way of loving?

She moved to his side, one arm resting lightly across his shoulders, waiting for him to come back to her. As the final vibrations drifted from the room, Josef raised his eyes to meet hers, searching for her understanding. His need for her to see him as he was now, no longer as the man she had fallen in love with, was heavy and urgent and Sarah sensed the importance of this moment. It was time to start making some decisions about the future, about how she felt and what she desired. Taking his face between her hands, she drew him to her and Josef sank into her soft embrace, wrapping his arms around her waist, holding on, holding tight.

Eventually Sarah pulled away, taking Josef by the hand, leading him across to the window.

"New York was Charles Fitzgerald's city. Josef Kostan lives in LA." She turned, draping her arms around his neck, inviting his caress. "I think it's time we went home, don't you, Josef?" The thrill of his name on her lips, the joy of her in his arms and for the first time, Josef Kostan kissed Sarah Whitley.

She was alive. Now it was time to start living.

Click here for my story index

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" - Emily Dickinson
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Re: Appassionata (vignette, Josef/Sarah, PG)

Post by wpgrace »

Man you can even write Josef and Sarah!

And at a complicated juncture... she's come to, and how do you reconcile Josef with Charles? Beats me, but nothing ever seems to beat you...

How brilliant to have Josef be a pianist and to express himself thru Beethoven, who of course he has actually seen in his own dramatic moment! SO cool! And with no words necessary... or very few... Sarah reads his life in the music and they reach an accord.

And how cool that he sees her as the same, but she MUST learn to see him as NOT the same.

And to end with his name on her lips... perfect.
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)
greenleaf9
Rogue vampire

Post by greenleaf9 »

Red, I love you!! Seriously and totally love you. :hug:

That was beautiful. :melts: Just as I imagined it and even better! :biggrin:

*gl9 is happy dancing through her apartment.* :hyper:
Last edited by greenleaf9 on Fri May 22, 2009 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Banner created by the lovely RedNightBird.

"...The moon's an arrant thief, and her pale fire fire she snatches from the sun..." ~William Shakespeare

Better Safe Than Staked.
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

I weep for Josef's happiness...beautiful realization of a complex and fraught moment.

Thank you, Red.

Lucky
kpyle
Freelance freshie

Post by kpyle »

What an amazing way to write what would truley be a difficult time! There would most definately be big differences in them after all this time passed. Not so much for her, being in a coma and feeling like no time passed, but Joseph has lived almost another whole lifetime! Great job and loved how Sarah came to understand this and accept him for who he is now! Loved It!! :heart:

Kelly
Thank you Pinkie for my Amazing Banner!
jenstc2003
Rogue vampire

Post by jenstc2003 »

Absolutely beautiful Red!!
Jen

Mick's Synful One
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

Grace, thank you, sweetpea. :heart: A little step into the unknown for me - delighted you enjoyed it!

greenleaf9, *heaves sigh of relief* It's always a challenge to write someone else's OTP - but you gave me SUCH a lovely prompt, it was a joy. Am I forgiven?

Lucky, another sigh of relief. Thanks so much. :hearts:

Kelly, Jen, thank you both. :rose:

Red

greenleaf9
Rogue vampire

Post by greenleaf9 »

redwinter101 wrote:
greenleaf9, *heaves sigh of relief* It's always a challenge to write someone else's OTP - but you gave me SUCH a lovely prompt, it was a joy. Am I forgiven?
wait...if I say you're not forgiven...does that mean you'll write me another one? :giggle:

This more than earns my forgiveness for Afterglow, (which is also an amazing story! :thud: ) I really can't thank you enough for writing me this! It is just one of the nicest, sweetest things a fellow fan has ever done for me. :rose:

Thank You!!!! :heart:

Also...exposing my ignorance here, but what does OTP stand for? :dunce:

"...The moon's an arrant thief, and her pale fire fire she snatches from the sun..." ~William Shakespeare

Better Safe Than Staked.
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

You are most welcome.

OTP stands for One True Pairing, i.e. Josef and Sarah are the couple you believe in/care about most/see a future for etc.

Red :heart:

greenleaf9
Rogue vampire

Post by greenleaf9 »

redwinter101 wrote:You are most welcome.

OTP stands for One True Pairing, i.e. Josef and Sarah are the couple you believe in/care about most/see a future for etc.

Red :heart:

Yup...Josef/Sarah is definitely my OTP, then. :melts: I will be re-reading this many, many times. :cloud9:

Better Safe Than Staked.
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

Red,

This is simply stunning!
In his revelation she found understanding; Josef Kostan wasn't Charles Fitzgerald by another name. He was different, still familiar, but new. He had tried to tell her in words, to prepare her for the man he had become, but it had taken this precious moment to reveal his truth.
Through music, a painful truth is revealed, and while Sarah loved Charles Fitzgerald, she accepts the fact that he is gone.
She moved to his side, one arm resting lightly across his shoulders, waiting for him to come back to her.
Yet it is Josef that she is waiting for now.

sigh...a romance for the ages :hearts:
darkstarrising
Love – the universal language, the story of Moonlight
View My Fanfic Index

Thanks to the talented and generous Phoenix for my beautiful banner!
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

redwinter101 wrote: Lucky, another sigh of relief. Thanks so much. :hearts:

Red
I guess I don't have an OTP (unless it's Josef and *coughcough* Freshie Lucky...) but for what it's worth, your Josef is so well-realized and right. Josef has such expressive hands, it's no stretch to imagine him as a musician.

Lucky
mitzie
Courtesan

Post by mitzie »

Beautifully realized, Red, such an important and intense moment for Josef!!!! :hankie: That last line was perfection!!!! :happysigh: Hell, this entire story was perfection!!!! :yahoo: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :groupwave: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :woohoo: :yahoo: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :thud: :thud: :thud: :thud: :notworthy: :worship: :hearts: :rose:

mitzie
RangerCM
Rogue vampire

Post by RangerCM »

This was so beautifully written! What a perfect piece to choose too. I just listened to this yesterday as I was finishing up reading The Vampire Armand, since this Sonata figures to prominently throughout that story.
banner by Cprav
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

This is lovely. You know I'm a sucker for stories that incorporate music, and Beethoven's tragic greatness has always appealed to me. What better way for Josef to communicate all those things he couldn't say to Sarah? And, as usual, you picked the perfect name.

But you know, Red, this opens up a million questions for me--the first being, what were the circumstances of Sarah's awakening?!

Return to “redwinter101's Office”