Dangerous Trails - Chapter 9 (PG-13)

francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Dangerous Trails - Chapter 9 (PG-13)

Post by francis »

Disclaimer: See chapter 1.

Chapter 9
Mamo smiled and moved aside so that Steve could enter their circle. It was such an inviting gesture without being obvious that Steve involuntarily took a step forward to be a part of the conversation.

Mamo said: “Steve, I’m a friend of a friend of Mick, and decided to help them out. They need a place to stay when Beth is discharged and the hotel would be way too expensive. They are gonna stay with me until Beth is fully healed.”

Beth and Mick secretly exchanged a glance that was both surprised and relieved. Mamo was taking charge of the whole affair and they would be safe within his premises.

Steve looked down at the fingerprint kit in his hands with a confused frown. “I’m here to take Mr. Jenkins’ prints. He’s a suspect in a case.”

Mamo nodded. “He told me. But do you really think this is necessary? Why don’t we all sit down and have a talk?”
He grabbed one of the uncomfortable plastic chairs and took a seat. Everyone followed up until they made quite the cozy sight around Beth’s bed. Steve was on one side, Mick on the other, and Mamo at her feet. Beth noticed that while Steve was distracted Mamo talked to Mick quickly in sub-tones.

Mamo started the conversation again. “What I got from your story is that the helicopter crashed after the pilot was dead and now Mick is suspected to have caused it. Mick told you that they were on a honeymoon tour, but you don’t believe that due to the circumstances. Well, you are right. There’s more behind this. I convinced Mick to tell you the truth.”

Steve raised his eyebrows and looked at Mick. He gestured to get on with it.

Mick explained. “We are no tourists here. We are in a witness protection program because I worked as a P.I. and I helped convict a crime boss in L.A. His gang was after me and Beth. We were convinced that we would be safe here, especially since we would soon travel further to Australia under yet another name.”

Steve interrupted. “Why didn’t you tell me the truth?”

Mick shrugged. “They told us not to tell our real names. One of the threats came from someone inside LAPD, so I didn’t really trust you. I admit that the cover story wasn’t great, but I was preoccupied with worry about Beth.”

“Then who killed the pilot and why?”

Mick continued the story. “We were kidnapped after dinner by the couple and the pilot. They brought us into a warehouse for the night, then took us to the helicopter. I think they wanted to fly us to some place where they could wait until they could smuggle us back to L.A. or until someone from the crime gang could act out their revenge on us.”

Beth continued: “On the way north Mick managed to free himself from his bonds. He surprised the kidnappers, knocked out the woman and then the pilot. The copilot struggled with him and the helicopter lurched despite Mick trying to hold it steady. That’s why we crashed.”

Mick added. “I didn’t mean to kill the pilot but I was desperate and in a hurry. I didn’t realize that I broke his neck until you told me he was dead before the crash.”

Steve thought about that for a while. “The way you tell it it would probably count as self-defense, but I need to verify your statement. Can you give me anything on the kidnappers, names, places, what they talked about? Do you have proof that they were with the gang?”

“I don’t have proof except that they talked among themselves and the name of the crime boss fell. Luciano Marelli. They didn’t talk to us at all, not even to tell us where we were going.”

Mamo squeezed Mick’s shoulder. “I’m sure things will work themselves out now that the truth is out. Steve is a great detective now that he knows in which direction to look.”

Steve stood up. “I’ll go through the files of the Marelli gang, ask LAPD for help. You must be in the Witness Protection Files but I won’t be able to access them. Can you give me your real name?”

Mick hesitated. “Mick St. John.”

Steve nodded. “Thanks. Do you think the gang is still after you?”

Mick and Beth looked at each other. “We think so. That’s why we are grateful that Mamo will take us in. We don’t feel safe in the hotel anymore.”

Mamo took Beth’s hand. “I’ll ask a nephew to clear out your room and bring the luggage to my house. You probably shouldn’t use the name Jenkins from now on.”

“So it’s on to Johnston. I didn’t like the name anyway.” Mick smiled.

xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Lucy
Ancient

Re: Dangerous Trails - Chapter 9 (PG-13)

Post by Lucy »

ooohhhhhhhhhhhhhh.............so glad the intel is being planted to back all this up.

Wonder what Danno is going to say about Steve and Mick's similar appearance?

For sure Danno is going to rub the fact that Mick has an absolutely banging looking wife...he's sure to rub that into Steve.... :snicker:

I've been salivating waiting for more.....glad your muse flew in for the event. :cheering:
r1015bill
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by r1015bill »

I'm a little nervous that Mick said his real last name. :confused2:
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Francis

Fabulous chapter!!!

Mano is good, you have to give him that. He seems to instinctively know how much of the truth to blend in with distraction.

I'm also glad that Steve seems willing to work with them.

Thank you!

Jenna

:hearts: :flowers: :hearts: :flowers:
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Man, that impossible-for-humans-to-hear vampire talking sure comes in handy sometimes... :teeth: Mick and Mamo created a good cover story, and the documents are being planted, so Steve should be able to verify everything. :thumbs: I'm very glad that Mick and Beth will be staying with Mamo, too. Steve sounds a little bit overwhelmed by everything that just happened, but once he checks with LAPD, hopefully he won't push too much more.

I'm looking forward to the next chapter! :hyper:
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by francis »

Thank you, Lucy. Danny already commented on the similarity. I think you should write a missing scene about Danny rubbing it in to Steve. There will be more, but not enough Danny probably.

r1015bill, the less lies the better. Steve now will find out that Mick really is a P.I. who worked on that case, and will probably be at ease. There wasn’t time to plant a whole other identity with the paperwork required.

jen, thank you! Mamo has a lot of experience and he is a calming influence for Steve. Steve trusts him. I hope this won’t change when you see what happens in the next chapters.

allegrita, yes, Mamo did some Mick-whispering there. That’s why Beth didn’t have much to say. I’m sorry that I couldn’t give her a better part here, but she’s confined to the bed and not privvy to what Mamo and Mick cooked up in private.
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

What I like about Beth is that she's very observant, and knows (well, usually...) when to shut up and let the vamps do their vamp thing. Plus, she's had a while to learn more about vampire secrets since we last saw her on the show! She's probably a lot more sure of herself these days. Well, when she's not dying. :laugh:
BlueEyedMonster
Fledgling

Post by BlueEyedMonster »

Enjoying this tale of in intrigue very much. Love when stories play like an episode in my head and this one dose that perfectly.
Marigold
Courtesan

Post by Marigold »

I'm sure glad that Mamo is there to help Mick and Beth sort things out. :phew:

Thank you, Francis! :flowers: I'm looking forward to the next chapter! :hearts:
Fantastic banner by Kath40! Thank you!
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

GAH! My comment disappeared!!

It's great that Mamo is Josef's connection in the islands...he knows Steve well enough to know he has to be careful. Steve's no fool, but the vampire community will provide just enough information to validate Mick's story....or will it?

Still, I wonder what Super Seal or Danno would do if they learned of the existence of vampires....

Loved the image of Beth in her hospital bed with Mick sitting on one side of her and Steve on the other. I'm really enjoying this story, francis :hug:
darkstarrising
Love – the universal language, the story of Moonlight
View My Fanfic Index

Thanks to the talented and generous Phoenix for my beautiful banner!
MoonlitRose
Fledgling

Post by MoonlitRose »

Mamo is one smooth customer, that's for sure! Good thing he's going to be taking in Mick and Beth, at least for awhile! :laugh:

But will Steve the SuperSeal, continue to "buy it"? :chin:

:thumbs:
-MoonlitRose
To view additional Graphic Art by MoonlitRose.

Return to “Dangerous Trails”