At What Cost? (PG-13)

A place for Nutmegger911's G to PG-13 stories
nutmegger911
Cleaner

At What Cost? (PG-13)

Post by nutmegger911 »

At What Cost?
By: Nutmegger911

A/N: This is dedicated to Gomes. And to WB who was left standing there to pick up the pieces. The characters could be anyone, but I wrote it as ML fanfic.

At What Cost?
By Nutmegger911

Mick peered over the top of the sports section enjoying the view. Across from him on the couch Beth lay on her belly propped up on her elbows and sipping coffee as she worked the Sunday crossword. Her bare legs stretching out behind her, kicked lazily, and her heels occasionally just grazed her bottom, which was barely covered by one of his shirts. “What a great way to spend the long weekend,” he thought as the television droned on in the background.

The announcer came on distracting Beth from her puzzle. “This weekend Americans will fire up the barbeques and knock back a few cold ones to celebrate the beginning of summer. But should we be celebrating? Here with a few words on the subject is Ted Arianna.”

Beth shifted position, lounging on her side to watch her former Buzzwire colleague’s piece.

“Thanks, Dan. Happy Memorial Day. It’s such an odd phrase. Why are we happy for such a somber occasion? Who could possibly be happy that diplomacy has failed so often resulting in war? And who would be happy to die that way, under such horrible circumstances? No one, I say, and that is why we should eliminate the Memorial Day holiday.”

“We’ve all heard it," the reporter continued, "the bravado of young men saying ‘I’d be happy to lay my life down for my country’.” The image of a flag fluttering in the background was replaced with scenes of wartime carnage. “I can assure you, not one of them has seen combat. No, it’s just ignorant arrogance those boys show; a misguided concept of honor. There is no honor in throwing yourself upon the ever growing heap of bodies that politicians use to keep score.”

Mick aimed the remote turned off the television and stalked toward the balcony.

Beth caught up with him and in a soothing voice said, “It’s just an op-ed, Mick. He’s just trying to get these kids to think, that’s all.”

Mick stopped in his tracks and turned toward Beth.

“You think we wanted to go to war?” His look was incredulous. “You think we didn't think about it? It’s not like that. None of us went to war hoping to die, Beth. But we knew the risks. We knew that many wouldn’t come back and we prayed we would be spared – personally, from death, and as a country, in spirit.”

Long fingers combed through his hair, then dropped, slapping against his thigh; with a sigh, he continued. “We didn’t want to go to war, but we couldn’t sit there and do nothing and allow evil to prevail. So what if at the age of seventeen, or twenty, we weren’t articulate about that point.” Mick’s eyes narrowed, his face darkened, and for once Beth knew to stay quiet.

“We weren’t ‘happy to die’ for our country. In fact, it was just the opposite. We wanted to live – in freedom. We wanted our families to live in freedom. We staked our lives on it. We wagered one horrible death against the ten thousand daily deaths of oppression.”

“Many of us died. For them, the battle is over... The rest of us?" Mick’s fist clenched in front of his chest. "For us it will never end. We are charged with remaining ever vigilant to protect all that those men sacrificed themselves for. The least we could do is think about that – to remember them, once in a while.”

Beth’s eyes softened. “I’m sorry, Mick.” She pulled Mick’s stiff frame into her arms and held him, willing his tension to abate. After what seemed an eternity he enveloped her in his arms, somewhat less tense, but still agitated. They held each other for many moments before Beth’s whisper finally broke the silence. “Thank you.”
NM911
LIVE WIDE
It ain't canon until they've shot it (and aired it) - I said that.
Trust the Muse. - Catmoon
The system isn't broken, it's fixed. - Billo
PNWgal
Moonlightaholic Mod

Re: At What Cost (PG-13)

Post by PNWgal »

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Last year, during Seattle's Seafair, a handful of people protested as a Navy ship docked at the piers. I wonder if those people realized the irony of protesting something that gave them the freedom and the right to protest.

Bravo, NM. This was wonderful and thought-provoking...and oh-so spot on.

Banner by the talented GuardianAngel

"It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." - George Eliot

"The dogs may bark, but the caravan passes on." - old Arab proverb

"Do the best you can do. Love many. Trust few." - Jack Ingram
maggatha3
Ancient

Re: At What Cost? (PG-13)

Post by maggatha3 »

nutmegger911 wrote: We are charged with remaining ever vigilant to protect all that those men sacrificed themselves for. The least we could do is think about that – to remember them, once in a while.”
:thud:

I would quote it all...but this is a phrase I will keep in my heart. And , allow me please to use this short story while teaching my students , in our -Greek- Memorial Day in a few months.
-It never ends well...
-Never?
Gorgeous avatar by our talented Lilly .
Banner by the amazing friend Hot Micks!!! .
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Nutmegger

This is wonderful.

You did a fabulous job of giving voice to the frustration on both sides. The side that is against the horror and brutality of war at all costs, and the side that, knowing the cost and hoping and praying that they won't be the ones to pay it, fight for the country and way of life they love.

Brava, just brava!

Jenna

:hearts: :flowers: :hearts: :flowers:
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix
nutmegger911
Cleaner

Re: At What Cost (PG-13)

Post by nutmegger911 »

PNWgal wrote::clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Last year, during Seattle's Seafair, a handful of people protested as a Navy ship docked at the piers. I wonder if those people realized the irony of protesting something that gave them the freedom and the right to protest.

Bravo, NM. This was wonderful and thought-provoking...and oh-so spot on.
Thank you so much, PGal. I'm so glad it hit the mark. People often take for granted our hard won freedoms. We owe a huge debt to those who safeguard them.
NM911
LIVE WIDE
nutmegger911
Cleaner

Post by nutmegger911 »

maggatha3 wrote:
nutmegger911 wrote: We are charged with remaining ever vigilant to protect all that those men sacrificed themselves for. The least we could do is think about that – to remember them, once in a while.”
:thud:

I would quote it all...but this is a phrase I will keep in my heart. And , allow me please to use this short story while teaching my students , in our -Greek- Memorial Day in a few months.
Oh, Maggatha! :rose: I am truly honored by your request. Thank you. And by all means, you are welcome to use it if you think it will help...
NM911
LIVE WIDE
nutmegger911
Cleaner

Post by nutmegger911 »

jen wrote:Nutmegger

This is wonderful.

You did a fabulous job of giving voice to the frustration on both sides. The side that is against the horror and brutality of war at all costs, and the side that, knowing the cost and hoping and praying that they won't be the ones to pay it, fight for the country and way of life they love.

Brava, just brava!

Jenna

:hearts: :flowers: :hearts: :flowers:
Thank you Jenna. :flowers:
I'm so glad it felt even handed.
NM911
LIVE WIDE
MickLifeCrisis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by MickLifeCrisis »

Excellent! Thank you so much for posting this. :hug:
MickLifeCrisis
Many thanks to Twilightdew for my banner and avi.
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Thank you for a story that made me think a lot, NM.
Marigold
Courtesan

Post by Marigold »

This is such an emotional, thought-provoking piece. Well done, NM! :rose: :notworthy:
Fantastic banner by Kath40! Thank you!
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by francis »

Thank you, NM. I'll be ever grateful that the US involved themselves into the European War and helped us get rid of the dictatorship we were suffering from. Even when my grandfathers were on the other side, they suffered in POW camps and all, but in the end it was worth it for freedom and democracy.
nutmegger911
Cleaner

Post by nutmegger911 »

MLC - I'm so glad you liked it.

Alle and Marigold - Thank you so much! That is such a high compliment. Thank you again. :rose:

Oh, Francis, :hug:
NM911
LIVE WIDE
Lucy
Ancient

Post by Lucy »

Thank you, that's the way I would figure Mick would feel.

Beautifully said.
nutmegger911
Cleaner

Post by nutmegger911 »

Thank you, Lucy. It just seemed so 'Mick' to me, too.
NM911
LIVE WIDE
BlueEyedMonster
Fledgling

Post by BlueEyedMonster »

Beautifully done and so very true to character. Long before Coraline war had changed Mick St. John from a carefree boy to a battle worn man. You captured that spirit so well Thank you.

Return to “nutmegger911's Office”