A Daughter of This House (Challenge #136) -- PG-13

A place for Librarian_7's G to PG-13 stories
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Re: A Daughter of This House (Challenge #136) -- PG-13

Post by librarian_7 »

Marigold wrote:Hey... Are you a vampire?
Now, you wouldn't expect me to admit to something like that on the Web, would you?

Mysteriously,

Lucky
Luxe de Luxe
Sire

Post by Luxe de Luxe »

Another major piece of work from you, Lucky. Such an incredibly, historically detailed piece. There were words in there I'd never heard of before! In a way this reminded me a little of Point of Origin (Lilly's piece for those who might not know it) in that it was a very vivid and well realised backstory of one of our lead characters. Without harping or hammering us with it, you show us the very difficult beginning that Coraline had... in fact, this story suggests that the entire of Coraline's significant life events consisted of difficult beginnings... her wrong-side-of-the-blanket human origins, the 'initiation' task she had to complete before earning acceptance into her vampire family, the 'honeymoon' she's expecting with Mick but never gets. Poor Coraline. Your version of her story fits entirely with my take on it -- she's been damaged, abused by her menfolk and dragged herself up by willpower alone.

This part I liked particularly... (tried to quote it from your story but couldn't get back into it as I was writing) -- it was the bit about her sire/father tossing the ring up and down in his hand. I swear to God, I could see that scene so clearly in my mind's eye that my eyes were going up and down as if following the ring's trajectory as I was reading.

The other thing I liked was that Coraline gave Mick the ring as a sign of blood lineage to keep him safe. I've always believed that Coraline loved Mick deeply and this just confirmed that for me.
Banner by the talented Hot Micks
choccyterri
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by choccyterri »

:hug: Lucky, I had begun reading this and then knew that it deserved more time than I could give it. And so returned to it when I could give it every bit of attention I wanted to... Lovely, it's just a beautiful piece of writing. The intricacy of Coraline's story is just stunning, and so VERY believable. Like others I was transported. Smelled the dampness of the air, the repulsion at the hand of her supposed saviour, and the sweetness of the victory of her acknowledgement. It's a wonderful description of how Mick received his ring, babes. Thank you so much for sharing it with us. :heart: :rose:

“It is not death that a man should fear, but he should fear never beginning to live.”
― Marcus Aurelius.
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

You know, it is comments like these, that inspire me to write. Thank you so much for taking the time to read, to understand, and to comment so beautifully!

This is what makes writing fic such an addictive pleasure. Truly.

Lucky
LadyAilith
Fledgling

Post by LadyAilith »

librarian_7 wrote:You know, it is comments like these, that inspire me to write. Thank you so much for taking the time to read, to understand, and to comment so beautifully!

This is what makes writing fic such an addictive pleasure. Truly.

Lucky
Thank you for crafting such wonderful stories for us to savor. Your skills are deeply appreciated! :heart:
LadyAilith :rose:
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Absolutely wonderful historical fic!!!!

I truly feel for Coraline here (and I'm not necessarily a Cora fan). She is trying to survive in a world that isn't at all kind or accomodating to women, even vampire women. Still, she resolves to prove herself and only asks for a chance, then proves herself capable of the same bloodshed and betrayal as her brothers. Not a totally laudable accomplishment, but it secured her survival and her place among them. All things considered, Coraline is a product of the times she came from, much as Mick is.

I regret the deaths of the priests--the young one who, from what we saw, was genuinely trying to help her, and the old one as his death forever erased his chance to become a better man, and live up to his place in the church.

Your descriptions here are lush. vivid and entirely plausible. Fabulous job!

Thank you!

Jenna

:hearts: :flowers: :hearts: :flowers:
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix
Lucy
Ancient

Post by Lucy »

Having this ring, the story just means more and more.... of course she proved herself. I had no doubt she would!
:yahoo:
cassysj
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by cassysj »

Such a vivid story.
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

Thanks, cassy! This is one I'm proud of.

Return to “Librarian_7's Office”