Passing the Event Horizon - Challenge #135 PG

A place for jen's G to PG-13 stories
Marigold
Courtesan

Re: Passing the Event Horizon - Challenge #135 PG

Post by Marigold »

Very well done, Jen! :rose:

I really like how you addressed the fact that turnings are different depending on the circumstances. We saw the difference between when Coraline turned Mick, and when Josef re-turned him. When Mick was re-turned, he trusted Josef with his life, and indirectly, with Beth's. The result: a very intimate experience. I'm so glad that Beth has chosen this path, and I hope that it all goes well for her! :fingerscrossed:

The concept of "Vampire Terms" makes a lot of sense to me, as well. Our human languages are just that - human. Vampires have different experiences and thus need additional words, such as "freshie," "Cleaner," "passing the event horizon," etc.

Thank you! :hearts:
Fantastic banner by Kath40! Thank you!
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Marigold

Thanks so much! This is an untapped field (well, as far as I know it is untapped). There are a few little fables that exist in our group consciousness that, in this context, could have originated there and been adapted for humans. There is that old feble about a scorpion wanting to cross a lake, but he couldn't swim so he asked another animal (either a frog or a turtle) to carry him across if he promised not to sting him. The deal is struck, the scorpion climbs aboard the others back and for half of the journey, all goes well. Then, the scorpion suddenly stings the other animal and as it dies it says to the scorpion, 'Why did you do that? You will die, too!' and the scorpion, distraught, says, 'I know! I couldn't help it! It's just my nature...' Sounds very 'vampire,' doesn't it.

Thanks for reading and reviewing!

:hearts: :flowers: :hearts: :flowers:
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix
SharonC
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by SharonC »

Fantastic conversation between Josef and Beth, Jen. Love the idea of Josef having a niggle at Twilight while he tries to keep Beth in the mode of moving forward with Mick.
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

SharonC

Thanks!

I remember reading somewhere a fic that intimated that Josef was somehow behind the cancellation of Moonlight, because it was just too much information out there and I totally loved that idea (was just about the only thing that made sense, to tell the truth).

Jenna

Moonlighter
Rogue vampire
Location: Found my nice soft place, snuggled up next to Mick in th-this fr-fr-frigid fr-fr-freezer...

Post by Moonlighter »

Nice angle, Jen. I guess vamps do have to mark the passing of time in some way, otherwise it just all begins to blend in together.

I have to tell you that once I read the title of your story and started reading, the song Beyond the Blue Horizon kept running a loop in my head. Thanks.
:eyeroll: :snicker:
Banner courtesy of the wonderfully talented, Moderator Most Awesome, soon-to-be-missed Phoenix!
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Moonlighter

Passing the Event Horizon is an astronomical term that relates to black holes or massive stars that at the end of their 'life cycle' collapse in on themselves with gravity so intense it literally alters the fabric of space itself. Any matter that is misfortunate enough to get close to a black hole is torn apart by the gravitational forces and consumed. Even light itself can't escape! When matter 'passes the event horizon,' it has reached a point of no return, when it can no longer escape. Someone looking at matter falling into a black home would see it suspended on the edge, when it fact it had already passed it. What I was trying to do was draw an analogy of a vampire's life journey being similar to matter falling into a black hole and the human life and personality would eventually be changed and consumed by their vampiric nature...but then, for Mick there is Beth.

All of that is probably telling you waaay more than you wanted to know. Sorry.

Thanks for reading and leaving a comment!

Jenna

Moonlighter
Rogue vampire
Location: Found my nice soft place, snuggled up next to Mick in th-this fr-fr-frigid fr-fr-freezer...

Post by Moonlighter »

LOL, Jenna! I actually remember hearing the term in an astronomy class I took in college, but I'm sure I did not remember the detail of the explanation you provided, so thanks! I'm still humming the song, though....
Banner courtesy of the wonderfully talented, Moderator Most Awesome, soon-to-be-missed Phoenix!
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Moonlighter :wave:

Totally agree! :snicker:

Music absolutely sticks with us lots better than what we learned in those classes. It also reaches us at a deeper level.

Jenna

cassysj
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by cassysj »

It makes perfect sense a century is when your old life would be dead to you. It's interesting Josef's description about it being erotic. I imagine he is speaking from personal experience on the receiving end since Sarah certainly couldn't tell him what it felt like.
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Cassysj

I remember Josef once commenting that he had sired plenty of vamps in his day...I think that was in What Lies Behind. If the prospective Turnee is aware of what is happening it stands to reason that the act of being Turned would be a reflection of the complete trust they have in their sire, as well as a bit of the bliss often exhibited by the freshies in a mere feeding. When it is between two individuals who are in love...

Thanks for reading and reviewing!

Jenna

cassysj
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by cassysj »

I imagine there would have been so many conversations Josef would have had to have with Beth since....Mick wouldn't
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Makes sense.

Beth's smart and Mick is no longer the only vampire she knows. She already knew Guillermo in the morgue--she just didn't know about the fangs. If Mick won't talk, she'll find out from the others.

Thanks for reading!

Jenna

jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Exactly!

Beth would find out elsewhere!

Thanks!