Resolution (PG) Challenge 134 - 1/1/12

A place for Nutmegger911's G to PG-13 stories
nutmegger911
Cleaner

Resolution (PG) Challenge 134 - 1/1/12

Post by nutmegger911 »

Resolution
By Nutmegger911

Author’s Note: This came to me this morning. Hey, punctuality was not on my resolution list. It comes from an old tradition, probably designed to bring resolution. Standard disclaimers apply.

Resolution
By Nutmegger911

Tired eyes startled back to life. “So, you’re here to kill me.”

“No.”

“Then what?”

“I’m asking your forgiveness.”

A glowering stare was his only reply.

“I never meant to take her from you. It wasn’t supposed to be like this. If I could change only one thing in my life, it would be this. I wish I’d never met her. It would be so much better than…. Than… this.”

“Then why?”

“I loved her. I still do. She wanted to live forever and, God help me, I couldn’t say no. But it went so wrong.”

“You killed my daughter.”

edited out misplaced quotation marks
Last edited by nutmegger911 on Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NM911
LIVE WIDE
It ain't canon until they've shot it (and aired it) - I said that.
Trust the Muse. - Catmoon
The system isn't broken, it's fixed. - Billo
cassysj
100% Moonlightaholic

Re: Resolution (PG) Challenge 134 - 1/1/12

Post by cassysj »

Wow! I do think Sarah is about the only thing Josef would want to change.
Lucy
Ancient

Post by Lucy »

I've got a feeling that Pops isn't the forgiving kind.....
WOW, great answer to the challenge! :clapping:
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Isn't it cool the way a drabble can distill a huge amount into such a small space? I'm not sure I agree that Josef could wish he'd never met her... but I do believe he wishes he'd resisted her pleas. As for Whitley, I definitely think he would always come back to those 4 words: "You killed my daughter." Forgiveness isn't in his nature.
nutmegger911
Cleaner

Post by nutmegger911 »

Thanks, ladies for reading and commenting.
allegrita wrote:Isn't it cool the way a drabble can distill a huge amount into such a small space? I'm not sure I agree that Josef could wish he'd never met her... but I do believe he wishes he'd resisted her pleas. As for Whitley, I definitely think he would always come back to those 4 words: "You killed my daughter." Forgiveness isn't in his nature.
I don't think Josef really wishes he never met Sarah, but he was reaching out to Mr. Whitley. In my mind Josef is baring his heart as much as he can to Mr. Whitey without upsetting him further. Given his experience, Mr. Whitley considers vampires to be monsters, so Josef can't share that he wanted the turning to be successful. As you mentioned, for Mr. Whitley it all comes down to those last four words.

I do believe the outcome is the one thing Josef would change if he could. Though I'm still not sure whether it be through a successful turn, or giving Sarah up allowing her to live a full human life.
NM911
LIVE WIDE
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by francis »

Josef asking for forgiveness is something I could never see, but this works. He would do it for Sarah and for his own peace of mind. And of course Whitley wouldn't accept it, but maybe Josef needed to do this for himself.
nutmegger911
Cleaner

Post by nutmegger911 »

francis wrote:Josef asking for forgiveness is something I could never see, but this works. He would do it for Sarah and for his own peace of mind. And of course Whitley wouldn't accept it, but maybe Josef needed to do this for himself.
In my mind, though he's asking it of Mr. Whitley, Josef really needs to forgive himself. He knows Whitley won't forgive him, and on some level, he takes his pennance in asking forgiveness when he knows it isn't coming. Of course, that's just the way I saw it. Thanks for reading. :hug:
NM911
LIVE WIDE
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

This particular resolution didn't resolve anything...except maybe that Josef acknowledged that what John Whitley suspected truly occurred--just not in the way the old man thought it did.

In a sense, it sums up the entire sad occurrence. It started out with hope, love and a lot of joyful plans only to end in broken dreams and a lot of regrets (for someone who claims that he doesn't do regrets). If only Sarah would wake up and take her place at his side.

If only...

Thank you!

Jenna

:hearts: :flowers: :hearts: :flowers:
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix
nutmegger911
Cleaner

Post by nutmegger911 »

jen wrote:This particular resolution didn't resolve anything...except maybe that Josef acknowledged that what John Whitley suspected truly occurred--just not in the way the old man thought it did.

In a sense, it sums up the entire sad occurrence. It started out with hope, love and a lot of joyful plans only to end in broken dreams and a lot of regrets (for someone who claims that he doesn't do regrets). If only Sarah would wake up and take her place at his side.

If only...

Thank you!

Jenna

:hearts: :flowers: :hearts: :flowers:
I don't think it was supposed to actually resolve the situation. After all, unless and until Sarah wakes up, how could it be resolved? In my mind, Josef wanted to let Mr. Whitley know that his daughter's fate was not a murder, but a tragedy - an act of love gone terribly wrong - and to give him the satisfaction of knowing that Josef was suffering for it. Also, I don't think he expected forgiveness from Mr. Whitley because he hadn't been able to forgive himself. Thank you so much for your thoughtful comments. :hearts:
NM911
LIVE WIDE

Return to “nutmegger911's Office”