Changes Ch. 12 and 13. Rated PG-13.

A place for halfcent's G to PG-13 stories
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Re: Changes Ch. 1. Rated PG-13.

Post by francis »

Great storyline! I think you're really good at conveying the emotion of them both. I totally cringed and laughed and was worried about Mick's antics at the meeting. This was dangerous, but also hilarious.
Please post more. :heart:
halfcent
Kostan Industries intern

Post by halfcent »

Thank you, francis:D Since it was my first fic, It was a learning process, and I am very glad that I was able to convey the emotions I wanted involved in it, and between the characters.
halfcent
Kostan Industries intern

Post by halfcent »

Chapter Ten

Beth

"So how'd it go? Did you find the girl?" I asked Mick as I settled on the couch next to him.

He'd been out of town for a couple days on a job, and he'd just called me to let me know he was back. I'd headed straight over, a little surprised at my eagerness to see him. But I'd been out of town myself for a day or two before he'd had to leave, so we hadn't seen each other since that stressful night of our argument, though we had talked on the phone a couple times.

"Yeah," he sighed as he scooched over to give me more room as I settled next to him. "I found her. She was with her boyfriend, like I'd thought, and she was being used as his punching bag, just like I'd been afraid of. But he didn't take her by force, so there wasn't much I could do. She was there willingly. She wanted to be with him, even the way he was treating her."

I just shook my head. I could never tolerate letting someone treat me like that. "I just don't understand women like that. Why put up with it?"

"She's more girl than woman. Barely nineteen. Looks a lot younger. Not that you could tell under the bruising on her face."

"Did you let her father know what was going on?"

"Yeah. He beat me there. I informed him before I left of what I suspected and that I thought I knew where she was. He called me a little while before I even got into the city, asking me to meet him at a local fast food place."

"He really cares about her," I said softly. I don't really remember my own father, and that was a relationship I regret missing out on.

"Yeah, he does. I sure hope he can help her, because she had nothing to say to me. I gave the little creep she was with a warning about how to treat a lady, but I don't think he has the sense to listen."

"Well," I said, wanting to change the subject to something more pleasant, "at least you
know how to treat a lady." I settled against him comfortably, perilously close to snuggling.

He let his arm fall from the back of the couch to around me and held me close. He was sitting in the corner of the sofa and I was sitting next to him, but half sideways so that I was leaned back against his side and chest. I love sitting like this with him. It always makes me feel safe, the comfortable feeling of Mick at my back and his arm around me. Unfortunately, besides a kiss or two, this is about as intimate as we've ever gotten.

And just like all good things must be, our us time was interrupted. There was a knock on the door, and even as I hoped that Mick would ignore it, he was squirming out from under me.

"I'd better open it," he explained apologetically. "It's Josef, and if I don't open it, he'll just let himself in."

I sighed in irritation. Josef. Big deal. That guy was way to cocky if you ask me. Vampire or not.

"Hey, Josef," Mick said as he opened the door.

Mick was smiling, seemingly pleased to see the other vampire. I couldn't help being a little miffed that Mick didn't seem to have a problem at the two of us having been interrupted. Not that I had thought anything was going to happen, but we haven't had much of a chance lately to just relax and spend time together. Mick seems to always have a reason to run off, usually to see Josef.

But on the upside, my curiosity about what had been going on with Mick is still full force, despite my promise to him. And now here's Josef. Just the chance I've been waiting for to observe them together.

That's me, the Jane Goodall* of vampires.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mick

As usual, Josef's timing left something to be desired, but other than that, Mick was glad to see him. And he'd actually been expecting him. Mick had known Josef would know he was back in town. He'd been surprised exactly how big Josef's presence was in his mind. He hadn't realized how strong it was until it was barely there, until he'd had to go out of town.

The further away Mick got, the dimmer his awareness of the older vampire had become. The link was still there, barely humming, but the awareness of him being nearby diminished the further away from him Mick got. And surprisingly, he'd missed it.

It had felt like a void that had penetrated Mick's mind, and he'd felt another emotion that was still hard to explain, but the best description he could come up with was 'homesick', only much more severe. In fact, he'd almost turned back around, but decided that if this is what it was going to be like every time they had any great distance between them, then he'd better get used to it now.

But he'd been glad to get back, and the closer he got the stronger Josef's aura in his mind got, and he'd known the very moment that Josef had felt his return. And now, here he was, just a few hours later, at Mick's door.

"Hey, Josef," Mick said, smiling, genuinely glad to see him.

"Mick," Josef greeted in his usual abrupt way, walking through the doorway. He noticed Beth's presence and leaned around Mick to see her on the couch behind him, the looked back at Mick. "I was expecting you to come to me as soon as you got back." The silent 'like we'd agreed' was present in his tone.

"I just got back, Josef," Mick explained. Josef raised an eyebrow and Mick hastily amended his last statement lest Josef think he was trying to excuse himself with an untruth. "A couple hours ago. I just got back a couple hours ago."

"You've been gone over forty-eight hours. How you holding up?"

Mick glanced over at Beth, curious as to what she might be thinking about what she was hearing, then back at Josef. "I'm okay, for now, Josef. I was going to head over in a couple of hours."

"You're starting to get a little edgy. I can feel it."

"It's not too bad right now. Really. I'll be over soon."

Josef paused a second, and Mick thought he would insist, or at least decide to stay there for awhile, but then he reluctantly agreed, acknowledging Mick's hints that he'd like some time alone with Beth. Mick smile his thanks at him, knowing that Josef continually worried that Mick would fall back into his old habit of stalling or putting off the time he needed with Josef to calm the fledgling separation anxiety. Or begin fighting it again.

"But not too late, Mick, and bring a change of clothes so you can stay the night and tomorrow," Josef named his stipulation, almost daring Mick to protest.

"Okay," Mick promised, knowing better than to push Josef's good graces.

"I'll see you later then. Enjoy," he added with a smirk, and he wiggled his eyebrows up and down suggestively.

"Josef!" Mick hissed as they moved toward the door. Mick quickly glanced over to make sure Beth hadn't noticed.

Josef just laughed at his friend's indignant protest. "Have a good evening, Miss Turner," Josef called to Beth suavely, then gave Mick another sly smirk as he left.

Mick shook his head at the other vampire's antics as he returned to the couch. "Sorry about that," he apologized to Beth as he reclaimed his seat.

"That's okay," she said, but she sounded irritated. "Josef's bad timing isn't your fault."

Mick settled back against the couch and put his arm around her as before. He tried to reclaim the position they'd been in before the interruption, but instead of leaning back against him as she had before, Beth turned to face him on the couch, folding one leg up on the cushions Indian-style but keeping the other foot on the floor.

"So, what was that all about?" she asked.

"What? Josef? He was just...welcoming me back. He hasn't seen me in a couple days."

"Yeah, but....he seemed upset that you didn't come see him first thing. Isn't that a little weird? He was never like that before, was he? I mean, not that I ever noticed."

"He was just checking up on me. He does that sometimes. He worries."

"Hmmm," she hummed doubtfully.

"What?"

"Nothing, just....I don't know. You guys seem different, is all. Especially you, and especially when Josef's around. And what's up with him wanting you to stay over at his place for the night?"

"Nothing. Just....vampire stuff," he hedged truthfully. He knew she hated that phrase, but it was the best way to explain away things she had no need to know.

She glared at him, but he did his best to ignore it. "Really, Beth, it's all okay. And you promised you'd give up trying to get stuff out of me. Remember?"

She crossed her arms in a huff and leaned back against the couch. "Fine," she said shortly.

"Beth? Let's not fight," he asked softly and leaned forward and kissed her temple. "Okay?" he reached up and ran a knuckle across her cheek tenderly.

Success! A little smile worked itself loose and she looked up at him and sighed. "Okay. I'm sorry. I did promise. Now, where were we?"

Mick smiled down at her, but he couldn't help but wonder how much longer he could keep her out of that part of his life.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was two days later that the dreams started. Two in particular that kept recurring.

In the first dream, it started off with him doing something completely ordinary. Taking a walk, driving, out with Beth, hanging out with Josef. Just the normal everyday type stuff he did every night. But there always came a point when he suddenly knew he was being watched. That heavy feeling of someone's eyes on him. But no matter how hard he searches he can never discover the watcher.

And the feeling just grew stronger and stronger as the nightmare progressed, and he'd peer into shadows and hidden corners and before long the alarm turns into a terror that he cannot control. And suddenly, instead of searching, he's fleeing. Running for his life, for more than his life, an unseen pursuer behind, knowing that if the thing he was so terrified of were to catch up to him, there would be more than death. The horrors visited upon him would make him wish for death.

At first, that was always where the nightmare ended, with Mick jolting awake in terror, shaking from fear.

But after the first week, the nightmare changed a little, just the end. He began to see whom he thought to be the terrifying watcher. No matter where he was in the dream when it began, he always ended up in his own home, in his freezer. In the dream, he would awake with the knowledge that some terrible force was nearby.

He would open the freezer and climb out. He would cautiously creep from the bedroom and out onto the stairs, down the stairs, and into the living room. He would instinctively turn toward the balcony, shaking with fear but unable to do anything else. The world beyond the glass doors would be dark, regardless of whatever time of day it was supposed to be. He would move toward the glass, silently begging himself to stop but unable to, until he came to within a few feet of his own reflection. Then he would stop and wait.

And instantly, against the darkness, a form would appear immediately on the other side of the glass, a face, barely an arm's length away from Mick. Perfectly superimposed on the other side of Mick's own reflection, so that he was seeing it through his own face, was the countenance of the powerful Malcolm, his inner cruelty no longer concealed but turning his appearance monstrous. And there was a sickly green glow to the eyes, evidence of everything evil in a soul.

And that was the point at which Mick would awake with a cry. It would always take several minutes to calm himself, but the memory of the dream would follow him all night and turn into dread as the night turned into dawn, at the knowledge that he couldn't put sleep off too long.

But the worst part, the most disturbing aspect of the nightmare that followed him all through his waking hours, was the fact that he could never quite remember who's eyes were actually,emitting the evil green hue. It always seemed, after he awoke, that the terrifying visage had come from his own reflection rather than Malcolm's countenance behind it.

But as terrifying as that nightmare was, it was the second he began to have that disturbed him the most.

In that dream, he couldn't find Josef. He would search everywhere he knew, feeling a crippling sense of loss, calling his name, searching, searching everywhere. And finally, every time, he would find himself in the middle of a deep woods, and there would Josef be. But it seemed to be a different Josef than his, with an expression of cruelty on his face stronger than any he had ever worn in life.

Mick's dream-self would approach, relieved to have found him, only to be stopped by Josef's raised hand.

"I couldn't find you, Josef," he would explain every time.

And Josef's reply was always the same as well. "Because I didn't want you to. I'm cutting you loose, Mick."

"What do you mean?"

"You're free. I don't want you anymore."

"Can you do that?" was asked with unbearable fear.

"Apparently so," was answered with a cruel twist of Josef's lips.

"But I need you, Josef."

"That's your problem, isn't it?"

"That's not only what I mean. I need you. I don't think I could bear eternity without you."

"Well I don't need you, Mick. I was pushed into this, remember? I didn't pick you." Josef turned to leave.

"No! Josef, please don't leave me!"

Josef turned back, crueler than ever. He tskd.

"You're so needy. You're completely different than me, Mick. I have standards, you know. Whatever gave you the idea you could ever meet them? I want the perfect childe, and that's certainly not you. You can barely manage to be a decent vampire. I have an image to protect, you know."

"I can change, Josef." Mick's dream-self would plead.

Josef shook his head and sighed in mock regret. "Not possible. And to think I thought I was proud of you. You're such a disappointment, Mick."

"I can do better. I promise. I can be what you want."

Josef would just shake his head. "You could never be what I want." He turned to go.

As always, Mick's dream image intercepted Josef's retreat. He dropped to his knees in supplication. "Please, Josef. You're my best friend. My father, my brother. My Sire. Give me another chance. I can be good, I can be whatever you want. Please don't leave me." He was sobbing his pleas now.

Josef just looked down at his kneeling form derisively. He would lean close to Mick's face and speak softly and slowly, but with hate. "I don't want you anymore, Mick."

Then he would straighten up. He would lift one expensively-shod foot and place it against Mick's chest, giving him a hard shove with his foot, knocking Mick into the dirt and leaves before turning and walking away. His image would fade away after a few steps.

It happened exactly the same every time, and whenever Mick woke from this dream he was seized with a crippling fear that was so totally different from the terror of his other chronic nightmare, but in many ways more powerful. It was an exaggerated version of his real-life inner fears, and he couldn't help but be terrified that it might be a portent of things to come.

Between the two chronically recurring nightmares, Mick began to fear the pull of sleep. He began to seek Josef out almost constantly for the craved feeling of security that he so needed and was always found with the older vampire, but always refusing to tell him what had Mick so insecure.

Even during his waking hours, both nightmares- and what they might mean- consumed his thoughts, and the waning of night with it's first light of dawn began to breed a feeling of dread in Mick at the knowledge that soon he would have to give into the need for sleep.
halfcent
Kostan Industries intern

Re: Changes Ch. 10 and 11 posted. Rated PG-13.

Post by halfcent »

Chapter Eleven

Mick was pulled from what had become daily nightmares. He wasn't sure at first what had awakened him prematurely, but before he opened his eyes he became aware of a thumping immediately above his head. He opened his eyes and had a quick moment of fright at seeing a blurry form through the frost covered lid of his freezer, the nightmare still clearly in his mind.

"Mick!" Josef called impatiently from the other side of the frost. He banged on the glass again. "Rise and shine, buddy."

Mick groaned, then pushed the lid up and peered at Josef in bewilderment.

"Josef? What are you doing here? What time is it?" He thought maybe he'd overslept.

He'd planned on heading to Josef's as soon as he'd awakened, as had become his custom since those terrible nightmares began almost two weeks ago, but if he'd overslept maybe Josef had become worried and come to check on him. The older vampire's mother-henning sometimes went over the top lately, in Mick's biased opinion.

As Mick sat up, he glanced at the clock. The hour it displayed was a little earlier than he'd planned on awakening. He'd gotten into the habit of succumbing to sleep as late in the day as he could manage to put off the nightmares as long as possible, and as a result he'd been sleeping a little later that he used to. Normally he'd have complained, but he was actually grateful to have been pulled from his nightmare.

"Here," Josef tossed Mick his robe, which hit Mick in the face before he could grab it, "get up and get dressed. We're going out."

"I'm not really in the 'going out' kind of mood, Josef. Can't we stay in and play chess or something?"

"No, we're not staying in. You've been staying too cooped up. We're going out."

Mick sighed, knowing when he was beat, and climbed out of the freezer. He donned the robe over his bare body.

"Out where?" he asked curiously, then took a second look when he noticed Josef's attire. "And what are you wearing?" he added in unhidden amusement.

That was the most dressed down Mick had ever seen Josef, and he gawked at the simple blue-jeans and long-sleeved flannel shirt that the other vampire was wearing. And timberland boots! Mick wondered for a moment if he was still asleep.

Maybe my nightmares have taken a turn for the worse, he thought to himself. He couldn't help the small laugh that forced it's way from his mouth. Josef looked like a skinny logger!

"Don't laugh. I brought the same thing for you," Josef held up and shook a shopping bag, presumably containing a similar outfit in Mick's size.

"I thought you said we're going out?" Mick questioned. He couldn't imagine Josef willingly appearing in public in such an outfit, and to be honest, Mick wasn't too keen on that particular style himself.

"We are," Josef answered mysteriously. "Trust me, these clothes will be much more suitable than what either of us usually wear. Get dressed." He tossed the bag to Mick.

Mick caught it and pulled out a flannel shirt just like the one Josef was wearing, only a different color. He held it up for inspection and looked at it doubtfully. Where could they possibly be going that would require such a drastic change in their usual preferred styles of dress?
"Suitable for what?"

"For your next lesson."

Mick groaned and let his head fall forward in dismay. "Not another one, Josef."

"Get used to it. There's gonna be plenty of them."

"But what did I do wrong this time?" Mick asked. He could think of nothing he'd done to warrant another of those.

Josef smiled at Mick's assumption and shook his head. "Nothing, Mick, it's not that kind of lesson. It's just something I think needs a little honing."

Mick remembered his last lessons well.

As soon as he'd returned from San Diego two days after the last vampire gathering, Josef had spent a week immediately following through on his threat to provide lessons on protocol and etiquette when interacting with Elders. Josef had been demanding and strict, harder on Mick than he normally would be while teaching him. He'd been determined that Mick would understand that the lessons were more punishment for his behavior than anything else, knowing Mick already knew most of the etiquette he was teaching but had never bothered to implement it. It had been unpleasant, to say the least, and Mick had gotten the point immediately.

The young vampire had decided then and there that he would do whatever possible to avoid similar consequences in the future.

Mick pulled the accompanying pair of jeans and the shoe boxed boots out of the bag, pulling off the price tags. He had no idea why Josef had brought him jeans. He already had jeans.

"I've already fed but I brought a freshie for you. She's downstairs. You'll need fresh blood to help strengthen your mental abilities tonight," Josef informed him.

Mick sighed. He really, really didn't feel like doing this. To be honest, he never really felt like doing anything these days. The constant nightmares and his limited sleep kept him perpetually tired, and with the new strong sense of insecurity he'd been experiencing, he always felt much safer in a controlled environment.

With Josef of course; that seemed to be his only saving grace. He looked over at the older vampire and with a hint of a plea in his expression and tone asked "Do we really have to do this tonight, Josef? I'm tired. I'd really rather just relax with you at the office while you work or something."

"Suck it up, Mick, and put the face away, it's not gonna work. We're going. I'll wait downstairs while you get dressed, but don't take too long. You still need to feed before we leave and the limo's waiting to take Candy home."

Mick sighed in defeat as Josef left the room and closed the door behind him. Ever since the night Mick had submitted to Josef's dominance, acknowledging him as his sire, Josef had been even more protective, if possible. And he'd often become more commanding as well, in a way that Mick found it hard to fight. They somehow so far had managed to walk that fine line. They'd managed to maintain their easy friendship from 'before' while still maintaining their new relationship, as well, somehow both instinctively knowing how to intertwine the two successfully.

Although Mick had taken to feeding from Josef's freshies on a regular basis, he still held a dislike for it. It wasn't as bad as it used to be, but even though the donors were always willing, there was just something so.... animalistic....about the act.

He still had to fight the feelings of guilt afterwards for his involuntary enjoyment of the feeding itself. But he knew that any childe of Josef's would be expected to feed fresh, and he didn't want his own behavior to make Josef look bad in front of the Community he was responsible for leading.

As soon as Candy had departed, Mick slipped on his new boots, tied them, and stood up.

"So are you going to tell me what we're going to be doing tonight, or are you going to make me wait in suspense?"

Josef smiled slyly and answered, " You, my young friend, are going hunting."

Mick stopped, stunned. Then panic flooded him. "Uh uh, no way. You promised, Josef! You promised you wouldn't try to make me do something like that."

"Calm down, Mick. Not that kind of hunting. I don't even do that anymore, you know that. It's barely this side of legal these days. At least in the U.S."

When Mick just looked at him in bewilderment, Josef chuckled. "C'mon. I'll explain when we get there."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mick stood, mystified as to what they could do out there, but he now understood the need for their sturdier than usual clothing. He'd had a frightening moment of deja vu when Josef had pulled over in the middle of nowhere after an hour's drive and led Mick into the woods, but he'd forcefully pushed the memory of his 'Josef dream' from his mind.

Now they both stood in the dark woods, the trees above obscuring the moon, but their predatory night vision piercing the darkness effortlessly.

He'd tried a couple more times during the drive to cajole Josef into heading back into the city for a quiet night at one of their homes, but Josef had been adamant. Mick had finally given up when he'd detected that the old vampire was becoming impatient with his efforts.

"You still haven't told me why we're here," Mick reminded his friend.

"You need to develop your link with me, and the only way to do that is to practice."

"But the link is strong. I can feel you all the time. I can follow the link to find you when I want to."

"Yes, but that's basic, and it's an unskilled instinct. Could you find me if I'm actually evading you? Could you use the link to successfully evade me If I'm hunting you? By the time I'm finished with you, you'll be able to sense me through the link so clearly it'll seem visible."

Mick looked at Josef warily, again remembering the last lessons Josef had subjected him to. "If I don't do it right, are you gonna yell at me and smack me on the back of the head like last time?" He asked only half joking.

"I told you, it's not that kind of lesson."

Josef tried to hide his amusement and satisfaction. Seemed he'd gotten his point across quite well. He had no doubt Mick would think twice before doing something so dangerous and stupid again, if for no other reason than to avoid Josef's ire and another 'lesson'.

"We'll start out easy at first with something I already know you can do. I'm going to hide somewhere within these woods, and I want you to find me. Each time you do, the next round will get harder. After the first couple of rounds, I'll start actively evading you and hiding from you. You'll have to follow the moving link to find me, while trying to keep up with me. Each time you get close enough to find me in my hiding spot once I stop moving, you'll have several seconds to pinpoint my exact location. If you don't before your time's up, I'll reveal myself. If that happens, you've lost the round."

"What are the stakes for each round I might lose?" Mick asked.

One thing he'd learned from Josef in the past several years- he fully believed that one learned best if there were consequences for failing, whether small or large. More often than not, Josef had instituted that method any time he'd taken on the role of instructor for his younger friend, and Mick had no delusions that he planned on changing any time soon.

Especially now that the lessons were more serious in Josef's mind. No longer simple pastimes that Mick had decided he'd like to learn, but the skills every vampire should know as he matured, and now Josef's job to make sure Mick learned them.

"Not yet determined. I'll let you know later."

Mick frowned, not liking that arrangement. That usually meant Josef already had something in mind that he would unexpectedly spring on Mick later.

"Now, close your eyes, " Josef instructed. When Mick complied, he continued. "Now just to warn you ahead of time so it's not a suprise when you feel it, I'm gonna block my end of the link for a few minutes so you can't feel which way I'm going."

Mick's eyes flew open in a panic, and before he'd even registered that he was moving, he'd crossed the few feet separating the two of them and had a handful of Josef's flannel shirt clutched in a fist, as if he thought Josef would disappear before his very eyes.

"No! Please don't!" That would be way too similar to his nightmare. He didn't think he could handle that right now.

Josef took a step back in surprised irritation at the reaction, Mick still clutching him tightly. "Mick! What's the matter with you?" He pulled his shirt loose from Mick's grip.

Mick took a step back in embarrassment and tried to think of a reason Josef would buy. "Nothing. I just.... I don't like it when I can't feel you there."

"That's a natural reaction, Mick, it's okay. It's usually only the reaction of newborns, though. I thought you didn't have that inclination."

"It's new, I guess," Mick tried to diminish it. "Just please don't block yourself from me right now, okay?" he pleaded unashamedly. "Okay, Josef?"

"If it bothers you that much.... then okay. We'll save that for the more advanced lessons later."

"Thank you."

"Sure," Josef answered Mick's grateful answer with a worried look of his own. He wasn't sure yet what to make of his fledgling's uncharacteristic behavior, but he was going to have to think about this.

"Okay....ready? Close your eyes for a couple minutes." And with that he was gone, using his vampiric speed to try and throw off Mick's sense.

The first couple rounds were easy, as Josef had promised. Mick just had to follow the link to wherever Josef had stopped out in the open and was waiting for him. Mick had done this countless times before without even thinking about it to find him in Josef's large home.

But then Josef made it harder, each round going faster and further, and then hiding himself better and better once he'd stopped.

Several rounds later, the hardest yet, Mick walked slowly, feeling for Josef. He could feel that he was near, Mick knew he had to be almost right on top of his friend, but though he knew he was within a couple yards he just couldn't pinpoint his exact location.

"Time's up," Josef's voice startled him, then Mick was tackled to the ground as Josef dropped from the trees above.

"Aw, man," Mick griped as he sat up and brushed dead leaves from his sleeves. "I didn't even think of looking up."

"Why not?" Josef asked simply, in his 'instructor' voice.

But Mick could think of no good reason. "Uh...well.."

"Because you were relying only on your other senses. That's good in some situations, and we'll be working on that another time. But the objective tonight is to strengthen the link. You followed it to the area you knew me to be in, but then you stopped. Why?"

Mick sighed, knowing the answer to Josef's little quiz. Standing up, he answered, "Because I thought once I got to the area you were hiding in I'd be able to find you by sight or scent. I thought maybe I'd see you or be able to smell exactly where you were."

"Why didn't you sharpen the link to pinpoint my exact spot?"

"Because I don't know how yet. It's hard."

"Exactly. That's why we're here. But you'll never accomplish it if you don't try it. It's like a muscle; it's gets stronger and easier the more you use it, and once you actually get it, it'll get easier the more you do it. But no more trying to take the easy way out. You follow up on the link till you find me, don't just stop when it gets harder."

"Okay," Mick sighed.

"I mean it. I don't want to catch you trying it like that again. It's the lazy way out, and it will do nothing to help develop this skill."

"Yes, Josef," Mick agreed meekly.

That had become his standard phrase whenever he thought Josef was upset with him, or when Josef felt the need to become stern. He figured that, in the interest of his vows to become the childe Josef would want, that was one of the ways he could show his respect. By refraining from arguing or protesting. Most of the time. It wasn't always easy to remember. But the fledgling inside made it easier sometimes by automatically responding to it's sire's displeasure, and sometimes Mick relied on that to combat his usually argumentative nature.

From there it turned into a glorified version of hide and seek and tackle tag. They took turns evading each other and hiding from each other- all for the benefit of Mick's learning- and before long they were racing and dodging through the woods, bellowing out yells and laughter like small children whenever one was found or tackled, sometimes one racing off with the other close behind, dodging trees and jumping fallen logs, and sometimes making the pursuer work for it by making fantastic leaps from tree to tree, high above the ground. Occasionally a tackle would turn into a short wrestling match, in which they would laugh and issue mock threats like young boys.

Childish game it may have seemed, but 'lesson' or not, it was the most fun Mick had had in a very long time, and he reveled in seeing the usually poised Josef letting loose and not having a reason to worry about how he looked to anyone scrutinizing him.

By the time Josef called a halt to the evening so they could get home before the sun rose, Mick was smiling and relaxed, reveling in the fun and the fresh air and the light of the waning moon. He felt almost giddy.

Josef smiled in amusement and pleasure at his childe's wide smile as they reached the parked car on the lonely two-lane highway. "Have fun?"

"The most I've had in a long time," Mick admitted, unable to quell his grin.

"Good," Josef smiled.

It felt good to see Mick so happy. It had been his aim to get him out and let him have some fun along with the learning, but it had worked much better than Josef had expected, and he felt a surge of the now familiar tenderness he often felt toward Mick. He knew vampires felt emotions and feelings differently and much stronger than mortals, but he wondered if this was anything like what mortal fatherhood felt like.

The drive back was silent, Mick giving in to his relaxation and his lack of sleep to doze as Josef drove them back to the city.

As usual, the dreams began- this time the Malcolm one- but he was pulled out of it barely after it had begun. When he opened his eyes from sleep and looked around, Josef's hand still on his shoulder, he saw that the car was stopped and they were no longer moving.

"We home already?" He looked around, realizing they were pulled over on the side of the lonely highway, the car turned off. "Where are we? Did the car die?" His mind was still fuzzy with sleep and the memory of the beginning of the nightmare. He turned to Josef for the answer and saw the other vampire looking at him in concern.

"Josef? What's the matter?"

"Is that why you haven't been sleeping? The nightmares?"

Mick gaped at him. "How... how'd you know about...?"

"It's obvious you haven't been sleeping well, Mick. I was actually going to ask you about it if it got much worse. And as for the nightmares....I can feel them. It took me a few days to figure out what was causing me to feel such strong emotions from you every day, but it made sense once I figured it out."

"Oh. Can you....can you actually see them?" Mick asked, worried. He was afraid of what Josef would make of the 'Josef dream' if he knew about it.

"No. I can't see what's going on in your mind when you're having a nightmare, but I can feel everything you feel. The terror and despair, and sometimes deep grief."

When Mick said nothing, Josef sighed. "Why didn't you come to me about them?"

"Why? There's nothing that can be done, right? It's nothing for you to bother worrying about."

"You're underestimating our bond, Mick. Maybe I couldn't do anything about it, but there's a couple things we can try that might work. And why wouldn't I worry about it?"

"I just....it's no big deal. I can handle it."

Mick actually wanted nothing more than to tell Josef and let him take care of everything, but he was afraid to bother him with something so trivial. He didn't want Josef to think that Mick would come running to him and bother him with every tiny little thing that went wrong.

"It's just bad dreams, Josef."

"Those 'just bad dreams' are affecting you. You don't get enough sleep, you're tired all the time. And anyway, they could possibly be a symptom of something else."

Mick just sighed and turned his head to stare out the passenger side window.

"It might help if you talk about it, Mick."

"I don't want to. I don't even want to think about it."

"Problems don't just go away because you don't feel like dealing with them."

"It's not like there's anything we can do, Josef. Anyway, it's just bad dreams, not some major crisis."

"It feels like more than just bad dreams to me, and I'm getting it second-hand. I know it has to be so much worse for you. I think there's something more to it."

"Can we please just talk about this later? I'm exhausted and anyway, the sun'll be up soon."

Silence for a moment, then, "Turn around and look at me."

Josef's words and tone were mild, but Mick knew an order when he heard it. He lifted his head from the headrest of the seat and swiveled his head back in Josef's direction as 'requested'.

Josef just scrutinized him for a second, then said, "Okay. We'll let this rest for now, we need to get home and you look like you could use some sleep. But we're gonna have to talk about this later, Mick. I feel like it's more than just simple nightmares. It's got me worried."

Mick just sighed and turned his head back to the window. He fought sleep the rest of the drive. He was afraid another nightmare would prompt Josef to continue his prying.

Two evenings later, just as Mick was drying off from his shower and was about to dress for his nightly visit to Josef, he was interrupted by his cell phone. He picked it up, noting that the number the caller ID displayed belonged to his friend.

He pushed the answer button. "Hey, Josef. I was about to head over. What's up?"

"Check your mail," was the only abrupt greeting Mick received back.

"Um...okaay...," Mick answered in confused response, but he was already heading downstairs to do as requested, his towel still around his hips and hair still dripping.

He reached the side table by his front door that he uses for a catch-all and picked up the pile of mail he'd tossed there barely an hour ago. He'd laid it aside earlier, thinking he'd quickly go through it before he left for Josef's, or maybe tomorrow morning before he climbed into his freezer for the day.

"Did you find it?" Josef asked impatiently through the phone held between Mick's ear and shoulder.

"Hold on, hold on. Find what?" Mick muttered as he flipped through the bills and junk mail. Then he stopped, holding one small cream colored envelope in his hand, knowing instantly that was it.

His heart sank as he read the name above the return address. He ripped open the envelope to see a folded piece of rather expensive looking stationary with a short message written in an elegant, flowing script. It looked like the author of the message might have used a calligraphy pen to achieve the Victorian style of print.

"Read it out loud," Josef instructed from the other end of the line, somehow knowing Mick had found what he'd been looking for. "I'm sure it says the same thing as mine, but I want to make sure."

Mick cleared his throat, mostly to give himself time to make sure his voice remained steady, then read, “' To Mr. Michael St. John. You are summoned to make an appearance as a guest of an Elder of the Council. This summons is at the request of the Elder Mr. Malcolm Bershire.' Then it has the night and time to be there. It's in three days! And the location. He's in town, Josef. This is the lounge of that really fancy hotel downtown. That one that caters to all the rich and famous people, like actors and dignitaries."

"Yeah, I know. I've been there a time or two, myself."

"I never have. I tried to get in once to check something out for a case, but I couldn't get past the lobby. I had to get to the roof and find another entrance. I even tried to play it off that I was a possible customer. They didn't even care that I have money, though it's probably less than what they're used to catering to. The minute they found out I was a P.I. I couldn't get past their security, unless I'd have been willing to let things get ugly."

"They're used to protecting the privacy of their clients," Josef explained. "They have a state of the art security system and they only hire the best. The minute they perceive a threat, they're all over it. And they're vamp friendly, as long as the vamp can afford it, just like their human clients. Even against other vampires. That's why I go there sometimes. I'm guaranteed my privacy and security when I need a break from the public eye. And they offer some great side services."

Mick had an idea of what kind of services Josef might be referring to and decided he didn't really want to go there. Besides, he now had other worries on his mind than his sire's unmoral debauchery.

He couldn't completely hide his apprehension when he asked, "What do you think he wants?"

"I don't know, Mick, but I know I don't like it. It might be nothing, but...."

Mick finished Josef's sentence when it trailed off. "....but it might be something."

Mick thought again of his 'Malcolm nightmare' and fear and dread roiled around in the pit of his stomach.

What if the dream was a premonition? What if someone or something was trying to tell him something? Mick's usual after-dream terror hit him full force at the thought that maybe his dream had been no ordinary persistent nightmare, but a harbinger of things to come. It was time to confess to Josef, to clue him in. About the 'Malcolm dream' anyway. Just in case. But Mick decided that at the moment there was no need to mention the 'Josef dream'.

"Josef, listen. There's something I guess I'd better tell you. You remember the nightmares you asked me about? Well, about that....."
halfcent
Kostan Industries intern

Re: Changes Ch. 10 and 11. Rated PG-13.

Post by halfcent »

As was pointed out to me by a very helpful member......I had neglected to change the posting title whenever I posted new chapters here, so rather than begin, at this stage, to post each to it's own thread, I will just change the post title to reflect which chapters have been posted. Hopefully that will make it easier for anyone reading to know that a new chapter has been posted. Thank you again for pointing it out! :flowers:
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

This entire experience must be a nightmare for Mick. He is so strong, and he definitely has his pride.

To be reduced to this highly dependent state must really hurt, and even more so because it is Josef!!!

Glad he is finally going to tell Josef about the dreams in detail.

This Malcolm has me nervous. Could he have planted these suggestions in Mick's mind?
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix
halfcent
Kostan Industries intern

Post by halfcent »

That is why the idea of Mick being dependent again fascinated me, I think. Because he is such his own person and almost a loner in many ways. When I first posted this story on ff.net, I got so many reviews in the next few chapters complaining of Mick being out of character and that I'd lost the essence of how to write him, but that is actually part of the story lol...... it was hard for some readers to either grasp that or accept it, but it worked for what I was trying to do
halfcent
Kostan Industries intern

Post by halfcent »

Chapter Twelve

"I'm not really much of a suit person, Josef."

"I know. That's why I didn't take you with me when I bought it. That would have been more than my patience could endure."

"But I don't like suits. They're really not my style."

"I know. That's why I found one a different cut from mine. I thought you might like this style better."

Mick stared at himself in the full length mirror in his room at Josef's mansion. His new outfit was a dark charcoal gray jacket and slacks, with a vest of the same color covering a very pale blue dress-shirt. True, it was a different cut from Josef's usual business style, though of the same high-end quality, but still...it was a suit. It did feel good, though. The material was soft, almost silky, and the tailoring fit him perfectly. And the color combination looked good with his skin tone and brought out the color of his eyes. But again....it was a suit.

"I still don't see why I couldn't just wear something of my own."

"This is yours."

"You know what I mean. Something I already owned before you decided I needed a makeover."

"It's not a makeover, it's one new outfit, and I don't even have to look in your closet to know you don't have anything suitable."

"What's wrong with my clothes?" Mick asked indignantly.

"Nothings wrong with them. They're just not formal enough for something like this."

"And the shoes?"

"Figured I'd go whole hog. They go just right with the rest of the outfit."

"You're worse than a woman," Mick sighed, then tilted his head at the image he presented in the mirror. "I guess it not so bad," he conceded.

"So glad you approve, " Josef replied sarcastically. "Here. Don't forget this."

Mick groaned as he took the offered strip of silk. "Do I have to wear a tie?"

Josef just gave him a look. "Of course."

"Why?"

"Because this suit would look ridiculous without it," Josef explained patiently. He shook his head at his friend's wardrobe ignorance.

"That's okay," Mick added helpfully. "I don't mind changing. I have plenty of clothes at home."

"Ha ha. You're such a riot. Put it on."

"C'mon, Josef. I hate ties. My mom used to make me wear a tie to church, and I hated them then, too. When I was a kid I used to say that when I was all grown up I'd never wear a tie again."

"Well, when your all grown up you can stop."

"Now who's the riot?"

"You have to wear the tie, Mick. Put it on."

Mick just looked at Josef with the pleading look he'd been trying to perfect, but this time it didn't work. When Josef realized Mick was making no move to do as he'd demanded, he let out a rough sigh of sufferance.

"Oh, for Pete's sake. C'mere," he growled in exasperation at Mick's reluctance.

He grabbed Mick by the shoulders and spun him around from the mirror to face him. He reached across to the younger man and roughly flipped up the collar of the shirt underneath the jacket, making it ready for the tie. Then he snatched the tie from Mick's hand and slid it through the upturned collar. "Hush," he admonished Mick's growls of protest.

"But it's too tight, Josef," Mick griped.

"It is not," Josef countered unsympathetically. Then, "Stop that!" Josef smacked Mick's hands down from where they'd reached up and impeded Josef's efforts at the knot.

"But I feel like I can't breathe," Mick griped again in protest, but certainly not in the panic one would imagine of a truly oxygen-deprived being. He was, however, careful to keep his hands down this time.

"You don't need to," Josef reasoned, astounded at Mick's efforts to avoid a simple piece of clothing.

"I know, but I still can't," Mick retorted half-heartedly and sulking, finally realizing Josef was sticking to his guns.

Josef half-smiled. "Stop pouting." Josef finished adjusting the knotted tie to his satisfaction. He could just imagine the battle Mrs. St. John must have had on her hands every Sunday morning wrangling Mick into a suit and tie.

"I'm not pouting," Mick grumbled.

"And quit whining," Josef added, mostly just to tease him this time.

"I do not whine!" Mick protested vehemently, then seeing the amused smirk of his friend and the twinkle in his eyes, he added, "Much."

"There," Josef said in satisfaction as he stood back to get a better view as he inspected the younger vampire. "Not bad at all," he approved. "Who knows, kid. Maybe you'll decide you like dressing like this."

Mick snorted. "Don't get your hopes up, old man."

"Don't be cheeky," Josef admonished jokingly.

Mick turned serious, giving in to his worry over their upcoming engagement. "What do you think's gonna happen tonight?"

"I don't know, Mick. We'll just have to see."

"But don't you wonder why he wants to see us?"

Josef looked at Mick in concern, noting the fear and uneasiness in his fledgling's tense tone. "Hey," Josef said softly. He reached out and rested a hand on each of Mick's shoulders, squeezing reassuringly. "Calm down. It'll be okay. Just play it cool, and we'll get through the night."

"But what if those dreams mean something?"

"They might not."

"But what if they do?" Mick knew he sounded childish, clinging to Josef's words for reassurance, but he couldn't help it.

"Then we'll just have to wait and see. Don't worry yourself sick over it until you know there's something to worry about. Okay?"

"Easier said than done."

"Just do the best you can."

"If you say so."

"I do. Ready? The limo is waiting, and we don't want to show disrespect by arriving late."

"You always say it's fashionable to arrive to a party late. That a confident person doesn't want to look too eager," Mick said, following Josef down the stairs.

"So you do listen to me on occasion! But it's out of context, Mick. This is not a party, and you don't arrive late when you're summoned by a powerful Elder. Especially a Council Elder. It's in bad taste, and it insinuates disrespect."

Mick nodded his head knowingly as they settled themselves into the comfortable limo seats as the driver shut the door. He'd seen how others in the LA Community promptly answer a summons from Josef, not wishing to risk his anger. Very few people in the Community would do anything that could be construed as disrespect toward the Community Elder. Even Josef's own employees, his house employees as well as his office employees, seemed to feel honored to be handpicked by Josef. And yet, at the same time, very careful to show the proper respect. Josef was known as a generous employer, but not very tolerant. Especially by those of the fanged variety.

"I just hope you're not planning any sudden wardrobe changes," Josef joked, hoping to lessen Mick's tension.

If Mick had been human he'd have blushed at the reminder of his little prank a couple weeks ago.

"No. You definitely don't have to worry about that," he said with feeling at the memory of Josef anger at the time. "On the other hand," he continued in fake thoughtfulness, "I might accidentally lose my tie somewhere. Just by accident, mind you."

Josef wasn't as unconcerned about the summons as he'd been trying to lead Mick to believe. It just didn't sit right with him.

For one thing, there was just something about Malcolm that made him uneasy. Josef could think of several reasons a Council Elder might want to see him. It was not uncommon for a Community Elder to be checked up on, or even invited to a gathering catering only to Community leaders. Sometimes they were called together for their input on a community problem or to be told of new laws. Sometimes for something so mundane as to pass news to each other from Community to Community.

But Josef could think of no good reason for a powerful Council Elder to summon Mick. At Mick's young age, he would escape the notice of most elders unless he were doing something to bring attention to himself. Most older vampires look at those so much younger than themselves as unworthy of their attention. Similar to the way a group of adults would pay no attention to the toddlers around their feet. Until one of them misbehaved.

And because of that very fact, that insinuated that the summons was actually for Mick, and not himself as Josef had first assumed. Josef had most likely been included only as a courtesy owing to the fact that he's Mick's sire, and in regard to Mick's young age.

If Mick had been a couple hundred years old, rather than the scant fifty-five he'd been a vampire, Josef would likely not have been included. Mick considered himself a matured vampire due to the fact that he has not lived under a sire for a long time, but in reality, by their society's eternal standards, he was closer to that of an adolescent. Though not quite an infant, neither was he yet mature.

And just like when the three Elders showed up at the gathering a couple weeks before, Josef did not like the idea of so much interest being shown toward Mick by someone who should have been above noticing a youth. And then of course there was that very freaky dream Mick had told him about. Who knew what that could mean, if anything.

But of course, Josef did not share his concerns with Mick. Maybe he should have. Mick may not be completely matured as a vampire, but he was a grown man. And they'd never made a point of keeping things from each other before; their friendship had always been an equal partnership. As equal as it could be with the differences in their ages and stations. But Mick was already tense and worried, and Josef didn't want to add to it if he could keep from it. In truth, he'd become quite worried about the younger vampire. It seems he'd finally gotten to the bottom of this nightmare and sleeplessness business, but.... there was something more.

The fact that Mick had become very insecure had not escaped Josef's notice. How could it? Mick sought him out every night without fail, seeming content to simply follow Josef around and be near him, regardless of what else was going on. As far as Josef could tell, he didn't even think Mick had spent much time with his little blond that he was so fond of.

Mick had mentioned seeing Beth for an hour or two a couple times a week, but Mick had always been sure to keep those visits short so he could spend most of the night in Josef's presence. And Josef knew for sure that Mick hadn't taken a job since the San Diego one. It's not that he minded having Mick around so much more. He usually enjoyed it, in fact. It was just.... it seemed like a big enough change in his behavior that Josef should be worried about it.

And Mick had become very uncertain, as well. Josef recognized that as a common side effect in new turns in reaction to dominance, but he'd figured, what with their familiarity with each other and all, that Mick would snap out of that phase rather quickly.

From Josef's perspective, it seemed that maybe Mick was uncertain about what Josef expected from him. He'd often wait for permission or approval from Josef before making some decisions. He behaved as if he wasn't entirely sure about whether what he was doing would be accepted or rejected. Josef thought maybe a simple conversation between the two of them might clear up that particular matter.

Then there was Mick's sudden and uncharacteristic compliance. Josef recognized it for what it was and he wondered if he should even bother worrying about it. Mick was obviously trying to change some of the ways he interacted with Josef, trying to be more agreeable. He made a point of being more respectful than he used to be, as well as more obedient. Sometimes.

But he didn't go overboard with that in the general sense- in fact, except during Mick's more insecure moments, much of their former friendship interaction was still present- and Josef thought it might do more damage than good to try changing that particular turn of events. It was expected for a sire to hold some command over his fledglings, and even if neither of them had wanted it that way, their instincts wouldn't allow it to change, would at the very least have made it very hard to fight.

Josef himself had changed slightly in the way he interacted with the other vampire. He'd become more confident in dealing with Mick as his fledgling at times rather that just his younger friend, and he carried that air of expecting to be obeyed and respected as his due. And Mick responded to that in the expected way. And unlike the idiosyncrasies of Mick's other, more worrying behaviors, that particular one didn't carry the flavor of a possible identity crisis.

No. It was the clinging that had Josef the most worried. His mind drifted back to the little incident in the woods three nights ago. Mick had absolutely panicked at the thought that Josef would block his end of the link, even for just a couple of minutes. Mick had tried to play it off, but Josef wasn't easy to fool. And that was far from usual behavior for Mick, and frankly, it kind of gave Josef the creeps. Josef had the benefit of over fifty years of friendship with Mick, and he knew the other vampire well. There was something there. Something that Josef needed to notice, needed to pay attention to.

But first we need to get through tonight, he thought to himself as their limousine pulled up to the front of the elegant hotel.

They were met by a young vampire that had been dispatched to act as their escort. He seemed to be of Asian descent and he introduced himself as Jackson.

"Relax," Josef leaned over and whispered at Mick as they followed their guide. Mick's anxiety was practically rolling off him. Mick just shot a glance at Josef at the directive, staying silent.

They entered one of the hotel's private lounges, the young vampire leading them to a seating area with several plush armchairs and a couple comfortable looking couches. There were five other figures already seated in wait.

Josef was surprised to see other vampires in attendance. He'd been under the impression they would be in attendance with Malcolm alone. Josef was glad to note that Rake was one of the attendees; for some reason that made him feel a little better about the whole mysterious meeting. Unfortunately, Nigel was there as well.

Great. A whole evening listening to his superior attitude and tiring opinions in that nasal, stiff accent. That could make for a very long night. Apparently the extra guests had surprised Mick as well, because he faltered for a moment, then shot a sharp glance at Josef.

At their approach, Malcolm stood from his seat and greeted them.

"Forgive us if we've kept you waiting," Josef said in a mild tone.

"Think nothing of it, you're perfectly on time." Malcolm's voice was smooth, and as cool as his eyes. He spoke with almost no inflection, no emotion. "You've just met my fledgling Jackson. He is in training under me to become a member of the Council some day. Come. I'll introduce you to the other guests." That was the most Josef had ever heard the vampire say.

Of course, they already knew Rake and Nigel. In addition, the met Sylvia and Gerod, both Elders as well, and both over six centuries in age.

"Josef, Mick. It's good to see you again," Rake greeted the two sincerely.

"And you as well," Josef returned formally, but with genuine warmth. There was something about Rake he couldn't help liking.

"I'm honored to make your acquaintance again, Elder," Mick added, the most formal. He knew he'd need to redeem himself in front of those he'd offended before. Josef smiled a little in satisfaction at Mick wisely remembering to follow the precise protocol.

"Well, I see you've followed my advice, Mr. Kostan. An improvement over our last meeting, is it not, Mr. St. John?" Nigel asked. He sneered at Mick condescendingly, his lips curling up in satisfaction at the thought that he'd had a hand in setting this young one right.

Mick clenched his jaw, but he answered only with the proper response rather than what he most likely wanted to say. Josef wondered idly if Mick would have done the same if Josef hadn't been sitting next to him.

After a few more greetings and a moment of small talk, Malcolm finally addressed the very subject that had Josef and Mick so curious.

"I suppose you're wondering why I've summoned you."

"The thought did cross our minds," Mick retorted. He winced a little and shot a quick glance at Josef to make sure he had no objection to Mick speaking out. Josef said nothing, thereby letting Mick know he'd done nothing wrong.

Josef decided he was really going to have to initiate a heart to heart with Mick later. He didn't want Mick to become so uncertain of Josef and their new bond that he was afraid to be himself, but that was certainly the way it looked to be heading.

"We have a proposal for you," Sylvia spoke in a soft voice.

Her appearance was as deceptive as Josef's usually was. She appeared to be a young woman of perhaps nineteen or twenty. She had that girl-next-door appearance about her with wide innocent looking brown eyes and light, curly hair. That cute harmless appearance, and the voice to go with it, hid a very powerful six-hundred and ten year old Elder. Josef noted that she spoke in a more formal manner that he knew to be a commonality of some of the oldest vampires that had limited exposure in the public eye of humanity.

"What kind of proposal?" Josef asked.

Rake and Malcolm glanced at each other in a way that did not settle Josef's nerves in the least. Josef narrowed his eyes in his patented look of suspicion.

Rake was the one who spoke. "We would like Mick to come back to Germany with us."

Josef sat stunned for a moment, unusually speechless, and next to him, Mick stiffened.

"You would come as well, Josef," Gerod quickly added.

Gerod been turned late in life, and his face and gray hair showed more age than the typical vampire, though of course nothing close to his actual near- seven centuries. As with Sylvia- or any vampire, for that matter- his appearance would give no indication to mortals of the true power and strength he possessed. "For Mick's sake, and yours. He is still dependent on you, too dependent for him to go without you."

"Why?" Josef asked simply, recovering his usual decorum. Mick had been about to speak but Josef beat him to it. At Josef's question, Mick cut off his own query and looked at the Elders for their answer.

"That does not matter," Nigel informed them. "Perhaps you should simply take into account those that this proposal is coming from."

Josef glared at Nigel for the inference that they should simply do as the Elders wanted for no other reason than because of who they were.

Apparently, though, Nigel had spoken out of turn judging by the glares he received from the other Elders. Including Jackson, though the young one had not as yet spoken.

Josef wondered if Jackson had remained quiet because he had no say in the meeting due to his position as 'trainee', or if he was just intimidated by a roomful of elder vampires. Josef sensed that he was near Mick's age, making him one of the two youngest in the room. But Jackson's glare at an Elder suggested he wasn't too easily intimidated, and Josef doubted Malcolm was one to tolerate too passive a personality in one of his own fledglings This young vampire seemed to have more depth to him than Josef had first thought.

"We are interested in Mick's circumstances. No other vampire has ever been turned twice. And your input, Josef, would be valuable as well," Sylvia said into the silence in an obvious attempt to smooth over the Nigel-ruffled feathers. Josef got the impression that Nigel's fellow Elder's were accustomed to covering up or fixing his faux pas.

"I understand your interest, but why is there a need for us to leave the country? Surely you can satisfy your curiosity here."

"You are being very obstinate," Nigel accused.

"I am being very logical," Josef countered in a cold voice, then, as a matter of propriety, he added, "Elder." He tried to infuse at least a little respect into the last word, but he knew he'd been unsuccessful when Nigel stiffened in offense and glared an him menacingly. Josef didn't care.

"I'm not going to Germany," Mick informed them firmly.

Nigel simply glanced at Mick, then turned his attention back to Josef. "What is your opinion of our proposal?"

"You heard him."

"The decision rests with you," Malcolm intoned. "You are his sire. Even if he were to resist your decision, he is dependent enough at this stage that he must do as you wish."

"Of course," Nigel added, looking at Mick assessingly, "that would only be necessary if you have not taken my advice on discipline."

Mick straightened in indignation and Nigel looked at him with a dare in his eyes. Josef knew what Nigel was attempting to do and he knew this could turn sour quickly. Just as Mick was gearing up for a protest, Josef reached over and laid a hand lightly on his arm. When Mick glanced at him, Josef shook his head minutely, and thankfully, Mick took the hint. He just sat back tensely and stayed silent. Nigel looked almost disappointed.

"Mick can speak for himself. He knows what he wants, and it's not to go to Germany with you. And I can't say I'm disappointed. I'm comfortable here for now. I have a business and my home, and I'm responsible for leading this Community."

"You well know it is nothing to begin a new life somewhere else, Josef, you've moved on many times in your years," Gerod said reasonably. "And a replacement as Elder of the LA Community would be easily found."

"However," Rake interrupted quickly, shooting Gerod a look, "none of that would be necessary, Josef. It would be for a short while only. Nothing long-term."

Josef looked at them suspiciously. "All this simply for the purpose of discussing our situation? I'm sorry gentlemen- and lady- but I'm not buying it. There's something else going on here. Perhaps we should try a little honesty."

Again, several exchanged meaningful glances between the five Elders. Then Malcolm spoke in his cool voice. "We have reason to believe Mick might be in danger."

Josef stilled, then asked, "What kind of danger?"

"That is not something we can divulge." Nigel. Of course.

"But we feel that the best way to protect him is to take him to... a very safe place we know of," Sylvia explained, and it was obvious she'd quickly stopped herself from naming the specific location.

"And of course, Josef, by extension-"

"- and invitation," Sylvia was quick to add to Gerod's statement.

"Yes," Gerod amended. "And by invitation, you would go as well."

"Let me get this straight," Josef's tone was back to his usual humorous sarcasm. "You want the two of us to leave the country out-numbered by five powerful and influential Elders, allow you to take us somewhere- though we're not allowed to know where, to avoid a mysterious danger that you won't tell us about. Does that about cover it?"

"That about covers it," Rake confirmed. Unlike the other's, he actually seemed amused by Josef's candor.

Josef turned to Mick. In a sarcastic, fake, overly cheerful tone for the Elders' benefit, he asked his friend, "How about it, Mick? What do you think of the generous offer?" Of course, he already knew what the answer would be.

"Hell no," Mick stated firmly and emphatically.

Josef turned back to Malcolm with a sly smirk on his face. "Well, there you have it," he informed the powerful vampire.

"But you must!" Sylvia spoke with what could only be described as desperation tinging her quick words. Josef looked at her sharply.

He wasn't getting the whole story here.

"That decision could very well be a grave mistake, gentlemen," Nigel informed them. Though he was calmer than the female vampire, his tone was tense.

"Why are you so interested in our welfare, anyway?" Mick asked suspiciously. "I can't speak for Josef, but I don't know who any of you people are. Why are you so suddenly determined to help someone you've never met?"

"Would it not suffice if we were to say it was simply because you are one of us?" Rake asked.

"So this perceived danger is from an outside source?" Josef ventured in an effort at more information. "A human, perhaps?"

"I did not say that."

"That's true. You've said nothing. So why should we believe you?"

"Because much is at stake if you do not."

Mick interrupted Josef and Rake's back and forth conversation. "Why do you think you can protect us? And why do you want to?"

"It is just you that need the protection, Mr. St. John," Nigel corrected. "Your sire must come along for your sake. And as for why.... well, Sylvia was truthful when she said that we are a bit interested in your situation, and you would be safer with us. We can't let anything to happen to the one vampire that can satisfy our curiosity, now can we?"

"Of course not," Josef answered dryly at Nigel's condescending answer. "How very selfless of you. However, I think we've chosen to take our chances on our own."

Josef stood up, Mick following his example, and looked at each vampire before finally settling his gaze on Malcolm. "So unless you've decided to take us by force, against our will, then I believe we'll be going, gentlemen. And madam."

Josef stared into Malcolm cold eyes, half expecting him to give the order to prevent them from leaving. Instead, Josef received the tiniest nod of the head from the old vampire- so tiny he half wondered if he'd imagined it. Then, after the barest of moments, when no move had been made to prevent their departure, Josef and Mick turned from the gathered Elders, crossed the lounge, and disappeared from sight through the door.

Crossing that twenty feet of floor with Malcolm at his back was one of the longest walks Josef had ever endured, and he had the humbling urge to tuck tail and run once they hit the hallway of the hotel. Fortunately, he was able to resist the urge and keep his dignity intact.

The two friends stayed silent until they stood in front of the hotel waiting for valet to arrive with their limo.

They'd both felt the instinctive urgency to save conversation until they'd put a little space between themselves and the jilted Elders. They both knew they were no better off out here than they were inside if they were indeed in danger, but they both felt better being out of the hotel, in the open fresh air of the night.

Mick was the first to speak. "That was pretty weird"

"Yeah," was Josef's simple reply.

"What do you make of what they said? I got the feeling we weren't getting the whole truth."

"I agree. There's more to it, I can feel it. Besides the obvious omission of information, of course. I'd like to know more about this possible danger we might have to deal with."

"Not us, Josef. Me. If what they say is true, I'm the one in danger. Maybe you should keep a low profile. No sense in putting yourself in danger with me if it can be helped."

Josef turned to Mick, surprised at the supposition, and just a little angry at Mick's suggestion. "Are you crazy? What's the matter with you? You know that's not gonna happen."

Mick's voice was soft. "I just don't want to pull you down with me, Josef. We don't know what we're dealing with here. I don't want you to be put in danger by association."

"We've been friends for a long time, buddy, I'd think you'd know how this works by now. We're in this together. You'd say the same if our positions were reversed, hell, you have. So you listen to me, Mick St. John. No matter what happens, or what we have to face, we'll do it together, the way we do everything. Got it?"

Mick smiled softly. "Yeah, Josef. Got it."

"Good. Cause that's how we roll."

"Have you been watching M TV again?" Mick asked, snickering at Josef's attempt at the local teen lingo.

Before Josef could reply with one of his usually sarcastic remarks, both vampires simultaneously sensed the nearby presence of another vampire. Together, they quickly spun around to face the possible threat. Sylvia was standing behind them, the door to the hotel lobby behind her still slowly swinging closed from her exit.

"Forgive me if I've startled you."

Josef and Mick were standing deceptively casual, non-threatening but ready to defend themselves if necessary. Their fellow predator recognized the hidden readiness.

"I am here to warn you," she announced urgently.

Mick frowned. "To warn us against our refusing the offer of Germany?"

"No," she clarified. "To warn you to be careful. It's true there is danger for you, Mick St. John. But there are some that fear it comes from within our own ranks."

"Other vampires?" Josef queried. That wouldn't be completely unthinkable. Vampires are as susceptible to hate, anger, jealousy and greed as humans are. It is not unheard of for vampires to garner enemies of their own kind.

"Much closer to home," Sylvia answered. "It is believed that some of the very Elders you spoke to tonight mean you harm."

"But why?" Mick asked. "I've never had personal dealings with any of them until now. I've never done anything to any of them. What reason could any of them have to come after me?"

"Does it matter?" she answered cryptically. "Just know that you should be careful. The most powerful among us is the most dangerous."

"Malcolm." Mick stated the name flatly, and Josef knew his friend was remembering his terrifying dream and the fear it generated. They both ignored their limo pulling up beside them, not willing to be distracted at the moment.

Sylvia raised her head and glanced around warily. "I've said enough. But for your own sake, heed me. I wish you well."

She turned toward the hotel door but stopped suddenly and froze. She stared for a moment, then hastily turned and headed off, apparently choosing not to re-enter the hotel.

Through the glass doors of the hotel, Josef could easily see the reason for Sylvia's sudden change in destination. There in the middle of the lobby, under the bright lights and with other hotel patrons and employees skirting around his still form, Malcolm stared at them.

The powerful elder vampire made no attempt to hide himself or to appear to be doing anything other than what he was doing. Watching. He stared at Mick and Josef, meeting Josef's eyes for a moment. Then Malcolm turned slowly and entered the elevator. Just before the elevator doors closed, he met Josef's eyes once more and let his lips curl up into a little smile.

Josef shuddered as the doors finally slid closed, shutting him off from that cold gaze that had seemed to freeze into him. No wonder the dream had scared Mick so badly. Josef couldn't imagine meeting the menace that emanated from that vampire every day during sleep.

"Want to come to my place?" Josef asked Mick as they turned to enter the limousine. "I don't know about you, but I could use a drink."
halfcent
Kostan Industries intern

Post by halfcent »

Chapter Thirteen

Over the next few days Mick started to..... well, the only way he could describe it is.... seeing things. Not things, really, but....vampires. The Elders to be exact. They never approached him, and it's possible that the few times he'd caught glimpses had been accidental on their part, though he doubted it. Even with his own skills, if he didn't want someone to see him he could usually prevent it, and they were much more powerful and skilled than he was. A predator knows how to become one with the shadows.

At first he'd thought he was imagining it. He'd be out on the street- walking with Beth or driving to Josef's, whatever- and he'd catch a quick glimpse of a familiar figure. He'd take a hasty second look, and the figure would be gone. But he could still feel the eyes on him. Just like in his dream, only this real-life watcher wasn't always Malcolm. When it began to happen too often, with a couple too many views of the mysterious vampires, Mick came to the conclusion that it was really happening and not in his head as he'd first thought- and hoped. Hoped, because he couldn't suppress the feeling that they were not there solely for his well-being. There was something that felt wrong in the way they barely made their presence known, but wouldn't even acknowledge him or allow interaction. A couple times he'd tried to confront Jackson when the watcher was the young one, but Malcolm's fledgling had been trained well, and by the time Mick reached the position in which he'd barely seen the Council trainee watching from he'd already disappeared into the shadows.

They never actually left when Mick spotted them, even the few times he'd tried to initiate interaction. They just...disappeared somewhere. He could always still feel their presence nearby, occasionally even more than one, he just couldn't find them.

He'd wondered if this was their plan B in the protection they'd claimed he needed, but it didn't feel friendly. It felt sinister. It was enough to put him on edge.

Especially when, after four days of this, he came downstairs in early evening after a day of sleep. He looked around his home cautiously, feeling a foreign vampire presence. It was the first time he'd felt any of their presences near his building- at least while he was inside. Like most vampires, Mick had done what he could to make his home intruder-proof, against vampire and human alike. But he knew that it wasn't completely full-proof if the vampire that wanted in was determined enough or powerful enough. His own best friend was proof of that. Mick had yet to figure out how Josef gets in with seemingly no effort.

As he looked around his penthouse, trying to locate the hidden intruder, his mind went instantly back to his 'Malcolm dream'. His fear caused his inner vamp to make itself known, and he was white-eyed and fanged when he turned to face the glass doors leading to his balcony. And there the watcher stood. It startled him no less for the fact that it wasn't Malcolm, but he did feel an undeniable sense of relief under the instant fright.

It was Sylvia. And this time she didn't disappear.

Across town, at the same time Mick's non-beating heart jumped into his throat and he snarled in fright, Josef received a visitor of his own.

"Your security is top-notch, Josef. I'm impressed," the visitor complimented. Josef's head home-security man had just left the room and shut the door after escorting the visitor to Josef's study per his orders.

"Yes, they are. And I must thank you for allowing them to do their jobs rather than making yourself known more surprisingly" Josef acknowledged that the visitor could have easily completed the task of entering Josef's highly guarded home in a more intrusive and less official manner if he'd so chosen.

"You're welcome. It's not my wish to alienate you."

"Then what is your wish? Why are you here?" Josef asked, to the point. He didn't like the idea of bringing this whole matter into his haven, his home.

The visitor smiled at Josef's abrupt question. Good. He wanted to get right down to business. He sobered and looked at Josef steadily before he spoke.

"I am here to warn you."

"Is that so." A statement, not a question.

"It is believed that the betrayer is among the Elders."

"Yes. I know. I've been informed." Josef couldn't help but feel a small thrill of satisfaction at the small look of surprise that crossed the other vampire's face.

"By whom?"

"I think it would be best if I didn't say. I have no intention of getting myself in the middle of your Council politics."

The visitor smile again, this time in approval. He nodded his head twice. "A good policy, and a wise decision."

"Thank you. And thank you for the warning. Will that be all? I mean no disrespect, but I must get to my office soon. I'll be receiving a very important call from a very valuable client."

"That will be all. Just know this.... all is not as it appears and many things are different than what they seem. Trust no one."

"I don't trust easily," Josef informed truthfully. "Of the five Elders I've met recently, I believe you're the only one I might trust. One day I would be honored to count you among my friends." Again, Josef spoke the truth, and he was slightly surprised at his own admission. It wasn't like him to lay his cards on the table so readily. Too much truth, or trust, gave others an advantage over you.

"A foolish choice, Josef Kostan," the Elder spoke insistently. "Trust no one. I'll see myself out. I wish you and your childe well."

And with that mixed warning and blessing, Rake left the room without a backward glance.

Josef couldn't help but wonder if there was another, more un-obvious hint under the Elder's other warning. He knew what it sounded like. He hoped not. He still couldn't help liking Rake. He would hate to have to kill him. Or, more likely in a confrontation between the two, be killed by him.

Mick walked back into his living room with two glasses of O positive for himself and his guest. He handed Sylvia one of the glasses, then took a seat across from her in one of the living room chairs.

"Thank you."

"Welcome," he answered distractedly. "So tell me again- why another warning? You already did that once, if you recall."

"Things will be coming to a head soon."

"What things? No one has told us anything definite."

"I'm afraid that's still not an option.”

"I'm not understanding any of this. How the hell are we supposed to protect ourselves against an unknown threat?" Mick fumed, then remembered who he was talking to. "If you'll excuse my frustration, Elder. None of this makes any sense to me."

"I understand how you must feel. And please, you may call me Sylvia."

Mick nodded, and smiled a little. "Sylvia. Okay. Just don't tell Josef," he tried to joke, but it fell flat.

She looked slightly bemused at his personal inside joke, but she ignored it. "You must be careful," she said instead.

"You said that before," he reminded her.

"And it's still true," she insisted. "But even more so, now."

"Why? What's different now than it was three nights ago?"

"There are some things that have been in waiting that will soon be revealed."

"What things?! This makes no sense."

"It will all make sense in the end."

"Would you please stop talking in riddles and just give me a straight answer?" He tried not to sound desperate, but this was really enough to drive any sane vampire to insanity.

She did not answer, and Mick just sighed, giving up on that particular line of questioning. He was nothing if not adaptable. That's one of the things that made him a good P.I.

"Could you at least tell me why you- and the others- have been following me around?"

Sylvia registered shock for a moment. "I...-" she faltered, then seemed to regain her power of speech. "I was not aware of anyone else keeping an eye on you. It could very well be the traitor. I cannot speak for anyone else, but I just wanted to make sure you were careful. There's something unique about you, Mick St. John. I believe the vampire society would suffer a great loss if something were to happen to you."

Mick sat back, almost in shock. Sylvia's voice had changed for the last two sentences. He recognized that tone that every woman was capable of.

Was she...was she flirting with him?!

He certainly had no wish to offend a woman as powerful as her- every man's worst nightmare- but he felt no attraction toward her. For all her attractive looks, her power was too apparent to his vampire senses. And the feeling he got when he was around her was more akin to the way he'd felt as a child when in the company of his mom's spinster aunt. She was much older, much more powerful, and he couldn't imagine that she saw him as an equal to herself.

Besides. There was Beth. No woman could compare to the way he felt about her.

He decided the best defense right now was to feign ignorance. Instead of acknowledging her flirtatious attempt, he continued on with his line of thought.

"You say you don't want anything to happen to me, but I could protect myself much better if I knew who or what I needed protecting from."

"You could let me protect you, Mick. We don't even have to let the other Elders know, or Josef. I'm very powerful. Not many would dare to cross me. And we don't have to go to Germany. I know of a safe house here in the states. I can't let anything happen to you!"

Mick was surprised at her determined persistence. She sounded desperate, and that just piqued his curiosity.

"Why?" he asked her. "Why would you risk angering the other Elders just to help me?"

She turned her head, staring in thought. She seemed to come to some decision and turned to look at him. When she spoke, her tone was urgent with no hint of the previous coyness.

"I will tell you, but it is a big risk. You must not tell anyone, not even your sire. It could be my life and yours if they find out. I was sent by others of the Council. I was sent by them to protect you from the betrayers. I don't know why, so don't ask. I simply do as I'm assigned. If I fail the cost is great. Aside from losing you which they so obviously do not want, my life would be forfeit as well, as punishment for my failure."

Mick shook his head in bemusement. He couldn't imagine he was that important to anyone. "I don't like the idea of keeping secrets from Josef. We're kind of feeling our way along here with this new stuff between us. Deceit would just make it harder." He did his best to not think about the dream he still kept from Josef.

"You must not tell him," Sylvia insisted. "I wasn't supposed to mention this to you yet, but the Council questions Josef's loyalty." Mick sat back in surprise and a little anger, but Sylvia continued before he could voice his defense. "Not against the Council or the Community, Mick. He is in no danger. They question his loyalty to you."

"That's ridiculous!" Mick denied heatedly. Just the thought of Josef betraying him was impossible. Ridiculous. There was no way! "Josef has been my best friend for a long time, my whole vampire life, and our feelings for each other are stronger than ever since he turned me back. He would never betray me!"

"It is not necessarily that we feel he will betray you. We just worry that he is not as loyal to you as he should be." It was not lost on Mick that the previous 'they' had now become 'we' and he wondered just exactly what her standing in the matter really was.

"Your situation is well known by now, Mick, and it is no secret that he turned you because you asked. You must admit, you and Josef Kostan are polar opposites. Josef is as fierce and brutal as any vampire of his age and standing could be expected to be, and he takes no shame in what he is. But you, Mick... you resist your nature and try to suppress your instincts. You do everything in your power to deny what you are, with no regard as to the futility of it. Be honest with yourself, Mick St. John. Friends you may be, but do you really believe that if it had been Josef's own decision to sire, you would have been his first choice?"

Mick was stunned, shocked into silence. Too many thoughts were whirling around in his head for him to be able to grasp any one to follow through on. Their situation is well known? How? Do they know about the cure? How much should he say, if anything? They seemed to know him well. Have they been watching him longer than he'd known? How do they know of his feelings about being a vampire?

And worst of all, could what she'd said possibly be true? Just because they believed Josef to be unloyal to him didn't mean it was true, and he didn't believe it for a minute. But Sylvia had voiced Mick's own fears about how Josef might feel about having become his sire, and she'd chillingly brought back the feelings that surfaced every time he had the "Josef dream".

Mick stood up abruptly from the couch and took a few steps, stopping with his back to the older vampire. He needed to put distance between her and him, needed the space to recompose himself. He didn't want to show his emotions so clearly to this stranger. She was an unknown quantity and still not to be trusted despite her seeming goodwill in warning him.

He heard Sylvia rise from her chair and felt her approach from behind, but she respected his space by stopping before quite reaching him. When he felt he had himself under better control, he turned to face her, making sure to keep all emotion from his face. When in doubt, remain stoic.

"I know this comes as a shock, Mick," Sylvia said softly when he faced her. "The connection between a fledgling and his sire is the strongest and most heartfelt of any relationship a vampire will ever experience. And sometimes that makes it the most complicated, as well-" Mick thought about Coraline as Sylvia stated this "- and I do not wish to alienate you from your new sire. I just felt it would be fair for you to realize what you're up against. Once this business with the traitor to the Council is taken care of, there has been talk of removing you from Josef's influence. For his good as well as yours.

That is not the usual way things are done, but it is felt among many of the ruling Elders that Josef was pushed into something he would not choose on his own, and that you have been returned to a state that you despised for so long, and at Josef's hands. It is believed that it would be the best for both of you, for only hate and anger can come from such a situation. Perhaps you should prepare yourself by distancing yourself from Josef little by little. It will be hard, but it would help in the end."

Mick was blown over by the ego of these people. Could they do that?

"Listen, lady. I don't know what it is you people have planned, but I'm not going anywhere. My relationship with Josef is no one else's business and has nothing to do with anyone but me and Josef. We'll work out any problems on our own. It's not up to anyone else to decide what's best for me. Who do you people think you are?"

"It's okay, Mick. I fully agree. I just thought you'd fare better with a warning."

"You agree?" Mick asked uncertainly.

"Yes, I do. In fact, I'd like to help you. When it comes to that, you'll need friends. Maybe you'd accept me as your sponsor to state your case- and your objection- to the Council?"

"You'd do that?"

"Yes."

"Why?"

Sylvia sighed, looking away then back. "Because I like you, Mick. It wasn't my intention to tell you all this, it's supposed to be some supreme secret. They want to catch you unaware. But there's something about you. The more I've sat and talked to you, gotten to know you a little better, I just feel that.... well, you deserve to know what might be in store for you later. I wanted to give you a fighting chance to make it turn out the way you'd prefer."

Mick was taken aback by her admission, and he wasn't sure what to say- or what she expected him to say. "Well....thank you for the head's up. If it comes to that, maybe it would be a good idea to have a friend in high places."

She smiled. "You're welcome. But before we have to worry about that, we'd better worry about the traitor and whatever he has planned for you. Just be careful, Mick. Please. That's what I really came here for. Especially now. I had no idea others were watching you, but that worries me. Are you sure you won't consent to being protected in our custody? I'd feel much better if you were in a controlled situation."

Mick smiled back at her. He decided maybe she wasn't so bad, after all. "Thanks, but no. And thank you for the warning. Again."

"You never can be too cautious, Mick St. John, remember that. I'll be seeing you."

Mick nodded once, and watched as she departed the same way she'd arrived- by way of the balcony. He picked up his cell phone and hit speed dial number one. He had a lot to tell Josef.
jen
Cleaner

Re: Changes Ch. 12 and 13. Rated PG-13.

Post by jen »

Fascinating, and I can't believe the nerve of these elders.

They may be history personified, but they are dealing with some people who are less impressed with their personal pedigrees are they apparently are.

Unbelievable!

I don't trust any of them. Sylvia included.

Can't wait for more...
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix

Return to “halfcent's Office”