To Keep from Forgetting (In Between 15 and 16, PG13)

Shadow
Courtesan

Re: To Keep from Forgetting (In Between 15 and 16, PG13)

Post by Shadow »

aolver wrote::rose: :flowers: I'm choked up...after reading this. :hankie: This can't be the end. In Between is one of the best Moonlight fics I have ever read, and believe me I have read a LOT of ML fics. You write so beautifully and understand our Mick so clearly. Don't stop here. After all, what happens after the door closes is in between Sonata and Mick and Beth's future together. There are still a lot of unanswered questions for me, which I know you would answer. Besides, I need to read your take on what happened after the door closed. :happysigh: :happysigh: Thank you... :notworthy:
Alle and Grace had me at least halfway convinced a couple of chapters ago to change my original plans and try to write one more chapter. . .and after all this, it would indeed feel strange to leave Sonata's questions hanging! It is so great to know that you have loved the seriess so much, aolver. :happysigh: That is wonderful to hear. :smooch:
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

This is just amazing, Shadow (no surprise there). I'll be back when I have time for a proper comment - and I want time for a few more re-reads, too!!

In the meantime, I'll just restate the obvious: You. Are. Awesome.

Red

Click here for my story index

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" - Emily Dickinson
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Shadow

This is amazing!

The mood you create with your words, the ambiance of this piece is just stunning. Mick really hurts over the results of the Bioanalysis report that says tells him that Jacob is not is grandson. Adore the depth of his connection with Beth but wish that it could take another direction (to a possible Turning) but that may come once he knows the depth of her committment to him and it seems that he is getting a glimpse of that and is processing it well.

Very glad that he is staying in touch with Jacob and his Robert. That has provided the unexpected gift of the possibility that the DNA test was flawed because the hair sample was from the wig and not from Robert at all.

Ben is a riddle wrapped in an enigma and I look forward to what more will come from this information.

Thank you!

Jenna
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix
Shadow
Courtesan

Post by Shadow »

redwinter101 wrote:This is just amazing, Shadow (no surprise there). I'll be back when I have time for a proper comment - and I want time for a few more re-reads, too!!

In the meantime, I'll just restate the obvious: You. Are. Awesome.

Red
Thanks so much, Red! I will certainly look forward to that :biggrin: and I am so glad that you want to do some re-reading!

(And, whoa, I really love your new banner . . . .) :thud:
Shadow
Courtesan

Post by Shadow »

jen wrote: The mood you create with your words, the ambiance of this piece is just stunning. Mick really hurts over the results of the Bioanalysis report that says tells him that Jacob is not is grandson. Adore the depth of his connection with Beth but wish that it could take another direction (to a possible Turning) but that may come once he knows the depth of her committment to him and it seems that he is getting a glimpse of that and is processing it well.

Very glad that he is staying in touch with Jacob and his Robert. That has provided the unexpected gift of the possibility that the DNA test was flawed because the hair sample was from the wig and not from Robert at all.

Ben is a riddle wrapped in an enigma and I look forward to what more will come from this information.
Thanks so much for your comment, Jen! I found Ben quite fascinating on the show and was disappointed not to ever find out just what was going on with him. I do want to explore that and give a possible answer . . . and also see just what might happen when Mick and Beth's connection gets even closer. Hopefully that will all be coming up. ;)
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

:biggrin:

Squee! Anticipatory squee. :yahoo: :giggle:
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Oh, Shadow. I will have to read this over a few times before I can truly comment, and I just realized that I still owe you a real comment on the previous In Between... :slaphead: but for now I'll just say that you have outdone yourself. :notworthy: And that's saying a LOT. :hug: :hearts: :rose:

I share Grace's joy (and *ahem* I asked you MONTHS ago, you know) :winky: that you are considering writing another chapter... and I absolutely love LadyA's description. It truly would be In Between the past and the future. In Between what we know and what we can only imagine. :cloud9:

Thank you, thank you for writing this truly beautiful series. You take me right back to how I felt in that first rush of joy when Moonlight came into my life. You captured it in these stories. I'm a little heartbroken to think that they're coming to an end... :heart:
Shadow
Courtesan

Post by Shadow »

wpgrace wrote:
Squee! Anticipatory squee. :yahoo: :giggle:
:snicker: And it's not even written yet! How I love such confidence . . .. :snicker:
Shadow
Courtesan

Post by Shadow »

allegrita wrote:Oh, Shadow. I will have to read this over a few times before I can truly comment, and I just realized that I still owe you a real comment on the previous In Between... :slaphead: but for now I'll just say that you have outdone yourself. :notworthy: And that's saying a LOT. :hug: :hearts: :rose:

I share Grace's joy (and *ahem* I asked you MONTHS ago, you know) :winky: that you are considering writing another chapter... and I absolutely love LadyA's description. It truly would be In Between the past and the future. In Between what we know and what we can only imagine. :cloud9:

Thank you, thank you for writing this truly beautiful series. You take me right back to how I felt in that first rush of joy when Moonlight came into my life. You captured it in these stories. I'm a little heartbroken to think that they're coming to an end... :heart:
Oh, thank you Alle, I am so glad you have liked this one! And wow . . . it was a lot of months ago that you asked for a post Sonata chapter, in fact :biggrin: . . .which was such a great request, too, because otherwise I'd probably still be trying to figure out how to foreshadow all the events of Sonata in to this interval. (Which probably can't actually be done!) So if I can figure out the one more chapter, hopefully the ending of this series will be a lot more satisfying.
And oh, how I remember that first rush of joy on discovering Moonlight! I can't tell you how good it is to think that you have found such a feeling in these stories. :rose:
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

It's taken me a long time to come back and comment properly - and it's not for a lack of desire on my part, nor a lack of re-reads as I've read this countless times over the past couple of weeks. It's just that the story is so big. I don't mean in size but in scale and depth of emotion and truth. As the series comes to an end, you're bringing the story strands together so beautifully and the resolutions you are finding are both profound and incredibly moving.

So we pick up where we started off, with Mick driving away from the Fordhams, joyful and desolate as only he can be:
Shadow wrote:But it hurt, it hurt so much, as if Mick had lost his humanity all over again.
Oh, Mick. We saw it. We felt it. We know it. He was SO sure Robert was his son and Jacob his grandson, not just because of circumstance, but because of instinct. I love the way you found to make that possible again because that always felt like the way it should have been.

The scene in the car, with Mick accepting Beth's comfort when he cannot hold out any longer, is beautiful.

In his reminiscence we see the toll of so many losses over so many years:
Shadow wrote:Mick touched the screen, taking Beth’s words into his heart, letting them fill the empty spaces inside him.
Such a beautiful visual, and such a delicate, truthful way of showing how much Beth means to Mick and how he couldn't bear to add her to his list of losses.

The scenes with Jacob, his fear, his grief and Mick's tender care, just crushed me. Seriously. Weeping. We see, so clearly, that Mick is helpless as far as Jacob is concerned - he will watch over him forever, even if he doesn't think he'll ever truly be in his life:
Shadow wrote:He kissed the top of her head. “It’s part of life for me. That’s just the way it is.”

“I don’t want it to be that way,” she whispered, putting her arms around him. He held her close, for a long time. Mourning with her, for times she’d never known, for something he had somehow lost yet again.
:Mickangel: :Mickangel: :Mickangel:

And after all this emotional pain and trial, Mick finds the one person who can genuinely offer him comfort from the point of knowledge and understanding: Esme. I love that she was there just at the moment Mick needed her most.

Everything's connected: Mick, Esme, Tyler, Elaine, past, present and future. No wonder Mick feels his life is ruled by cruel fate.

And just when I think Mick can't possibly take any more, Elaine is in danger. Oh, honey, that whole section had me praying she was going to be okay but I got even more than that. The most beautiful thing of all - after all Mick has lost, all he's suffered and all he's sacrificed - he can finally give voice to the love he has for her, his daughter. Elaine's story has been so integral to this whole series and to see her get to the point of wanting to go on and being able to accept Mick's love and care was amazing:
Shadow wrote:“When does it stop hurting?”

He glanced up at her. “I don’t know,” he admitted. “Maybe never.”

She nodded sadly. “I wish it had been real for you,” she said. “I don’t know why, but I like the idea that you might have had a kid, back when. You ought to be a dad.”

“I am.”
:hankie: :hankie:

And so we come full circle. Mick and Beth at the beach with Jacob. Mick's dream come true. The love that shines through every word, every emotion, Mick reconnecting with life, love, the universe and his place in it. He dares to dream; he dares to hope, he even dares to pick up his guitar again:
Shadow wrote:Because I love her.
:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Red

Shadow
Courtesan

Post by Shadow »

Thanks so much, Red. :hearts: I was hoping it was all starting to connect . . .

I loved the initial image that Jill mentioned when she talked about writing WLB, where the little boy Mick met in the park really was his grandson. It just felt like it ought to be that way. I had the feeling that the last scene ended up the way it did simply so they could avoid this complication in future episodes. But I thought it would have been a really great complication..... :happysigh: so I couldn't resist putting that possibility back in.....

So I'm really, really glad I could get to you with the Mick and Jacob scenes especially. :cloud9:

And how fantastic to see that you've not only re-read this one but have gone back to the beginning to re-read! :cloud9: :cloud9: :cloud9:
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

Hey Shadow! Have you seen Lilly's thread where she interviewed the guy who played Ray? It's still in active topics, his name is Justice... Somebody. He has a bit of scoop for how that ep was supposed to go before the Suits stuck their fingers in it...

You will appreciate What WAS Left Behind... on the cutting room floor. :brow:
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)
Shadow
Courtesan

Post by Shadow »

wpgrace wrote:Hey Shadow! Have you seen Lilly's thread where she interviewed the guy who played Ray? It's still in active topics, his name is Justice... Somebody. He has a bit of scoop for how that ep was supposed to go before the Suits stuck their fingers in it...

You will appreciate What WAS Left Behind... on the cutting room floor. :brow:
Ohhhh.... I just got the chance to go to the thread with that interview. Absolutely heavenly. :cloud9:
*Sigh* don't I just wish one of us could have picked up the trimmings from that floor! I never guessed they'd actually filmed that last missing scene . . .
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

Everything I said in my last comment still stands - and this is just so wonderful to re-read again and again and again.

One other thing I noticed but forgot to mention previously is that I love how you've set Beth off investigating Talbot. She SO would have done that (whether she was going to work for him or not - she'd still want to know who she was dealing with). You've given some intriguing hints about him - and I'm really hoping that the post-Sonata conclusion picks them up and gives us a resolution.

So now this particular re-read is done. I'm sure it won't be long before I go back and do it all over again. :giggle: But until then, I'll just sit contentedly waiting for whatever you bring us next.

:hearts: :rose: :flowers:

Shadow
Courtesan

Post by Shadow »

redwinter101 wrote:So now this particular re-read is done. I'm sure it won't be long before I go back and do it all over again. :giggle: But until then, I'll just sit contentedly waiting for whatever you bring us next.
Sooo great to know about your re-read, Red. That has really helped the next part come along! It is taking quite a while, but it's also going to be a lot longer than I'd imagined. In fact, it looks like there will not be a post-Sonata chapter after all. It's going to have to be more of a post-Sonata series . . . :dizzy:
redwinter101 wrote: I love how you've set Beth off investigating Talbot. She SO would have done that (whether she was going to work for him or not - she'd still want to know who she was dealing with). You've given some intriguing hints about him - and I'm really hoping that the post-Sonata conclusion picks them up and gives us a resolution.
:yes: :yes: :yes:
(No wonder it's growing so long . . . ;) )

Return to “In Between”