Q&A with Trevor Munson

Emerald
Sire

Q&A with Trevor Munson

Post by Emerald »

Please Note: This was an exclusive Q&A that Trevor was kind enough to participate in for the Moonlight VampSisters Messageboard. Please do not copy this Q&A anywhere else without permission. Trevor is aware (I have checked with him a number of times) that the Q&A is being cross posted to other sites, but because it was originally done as an exclusive, out of respect for Trevor, and after discussions with the other VS staff members, I am sharing this with those communities, or sections thereof, that are private, and locked to general passerby (as it were) only. Hence why I am posting this here, as opposed to the section of the board that has been set aside for discussions et al on Trevor, and his work.

The Q&A is divided into sections - Angel of Vengeance (for questions on Trevor's novel), Moonlight, Fan Fiction, & General. And a huge 'Thank You' to Trevor for agreeing to do this for us. :clapping:
_______________________________________________________________________________________
Q&A With Trevor Munson

Trevor Munson Official Site:

http://www.trevormunson.com/

Angel of Vengeance by Trevor Munson Facebook Page:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Angel-of- ... 1892803801

----------------------------------------------------------
Angel of Vengeance
Q: Will Angel of Vengeance be available in Kindle format? Thank you!

Trevor: I don't know for sure about a Kindle version, but I suspect that there will be an e-version of the book at some point...(NB: since this interview was done an e-version & kindle format of Angel of Vengeance has become available)

Q: I loved Angel of Vengeance's '"Mick" & wondered if you & Alex talked about how dark the character was? Also does Joel Silver/Warner Bros. have the movie rights i.e. are they all tied up into "Moonlight"? And have you heard anything more about a movie?

Trevor: It's hard to remember exactly now, but I do believe Alex & I discussed my darker version early on in the process. At one point he asked to read my feature script which was based on the novel & we talked about it & some of the differences. And yes, WB has the rights to 'Moonlight' & they are the ones who will ultimately decided if there is a movie made of it, or a future show or tv movie...I have not heard anything to make me think that something like that is in the works however...

Q: If there was to be a film made of AoV, keeping true to the book, who would be your ideal choice (living or dead) to play Mick Angel?

Trevor: Hmm. Well, I don't have the perfect actor in mind, but I still like the idea of a young Mickey Rourke circa his Angelheart period. I also like maybe a Clive Owen, or Adrien Brody... I would like to see it played by an actor with some real emotional depth & some dark things going on inside...
Moonlight
Q: Since the cancellation of the show & considering how many of us would have LOVED to have seen a second, third, & forth season - have you given consideration to writing a series of Moonlight books that take up where the show left off? Or commissioning an author to do so?

Trevor: Ron & I have talked about the possibility, but we don't have control over the material at this point. A series of novelizations would have to be okay'd by Warner Bros. & they would decide who got to write them...(NB: Trevor has recently received news from his Lawyer that he has the go ahead to write a sequel to Angel of Vengeance, which will more than likely feature some of the Moonlight characters not already included in the original novel)

Q: Why did Coraline choose Beth to kidnap, did she intend to turn her? They have the same extremely rare bloodtype. Could Beth somehow be related to Coraline through a common human relative? Did Coraline know about Beth's rare blood type?

Trevor: We had long talked about something along those lines. That there was a greater reveal to be uncovered as to why Coraline chose Beth. There were several different possibilities discussed, but I'm not sure if any were ever settled on. I suspect, that Coraline being the kind of vamp she is, we would have learned that there was a link between the two down the line...

Q: If Mick could get more of the Cure, would he be able to impregnate Beth?

Trevor: Although I'm not sure what we decided on in the end, my general theory for vampires was going to be that the male was able to reproduce, but the female vampire was barren. Hence Coraline's need to procure a child in Beth... I don't recall if that's what we ended up going with for the show, but yes, if Mick were on 'The Cure' I think he's most definitely be able to reproduce...

Q: Would you have preferred the series to be darker, more like the book? (if the network would have allowed) Or did you view the series as a completely separate entity?

Trevor: I mostly saw them as two separate things. In the beginning I was wanting a darker more gothic world more like that which Ron & I created in the pilot. But I think that the lighter, more fun world we ended up with ultimately worked pretty well for a network series. That said, it would be interesting to know what the HBO version would have looked like...

Q: While I can’t imagine Moonlight without its wonderful cast, all but Alex were not the first actors cast in the roles. What prompted the change in the cast between the original pilot & what turned out to be “No Such Thing As Vampires”? And was the drastic change in the character of Josef because of the casting of Jason Dohring?

Trevor: The casting change came out of the testing. Alex was really the main who had high marks from the audience. As a result, TBTB decided we had something here, but that we needed to make some casting changes. There were a lot more made that any of us expected, however. The other decision that happened about that time was that we decided to make the character of Josef younger (or rather to have him APPEAR younger) to give the feel of the show a younger/hipper feel. Jason was cast as a result during the search for an actor who could appear young, but give the feel of being much older & more seasoned... We were very luck to find him. He was great...

Q: Do you have any favorite memories from Moonlight?

Trevor: My favorite memories of the show were probably creating the pilot with Ron Koslow. We had a great time. The filming of the pilot was a lot of fun too. The cast & crew was great & it was like a big family coming together to make something we loved.

Q: Were you happy with the way Mick Angel was re-written to become Mick St John - a less edgy, maybe more do-gooder vampire, one without a history of drugs & maybe tortured by different demons? I wonder as a writer how you felt about the character re-writes, did you like or dislike Mick St. John? Compared to Mick Angel, St. John was, maybe, a little "white bread?" Or did you find the show, & Mick St. John, incredibly charming, as we fans did, & was it okay because Mick/Beth/Josef/Coraline all turned out to be characters we fans loved so much?

Trevor: Well, actually I was one of the two people who actively had a part in creating Mick St. John. My co-creator, Ron Koslow (Beauty and the Beast) & I basically used my novel as a jumping-off point for the more romantic, elegant series that CBS had in mind for their network. I was okay with that, because I knew that I had my underlying novel to point to for my original vision no matter how we decided to change the material. That said the response & love of the characters we created for the series from the fans, definitely made it all worthwhile. It's an amazing thing for a writer to get to see the impact his characters have on an audience who come to love them as much you do.

Q: Mick says he doesn't eat, but in Dr. Feelgood the newly turned vamp says "Your food has no taste". So do they not eat because it has no taste, or will their bodies reject the food? Perhaps an indelicate but still unanswered question is: Do vamps use the bathroom (other than to bathe)? If the diet is solely blood, is there no waste? And what of wine and liquor, if they can ingest these substances, wouldn't they be processed differently than blood?

Trevor: Good question! The mythology is a little different between the show & the book, but in general in my mind, vampires can ingest food early on, but it gets harder & harder for their bodies to process, until eventually they just reject food. As for liquids, I think that they continue to need to use the bathroom in that capacity, as testified by the fact that Mick had a strange little public bathroom-style urinal in his freezer room.

Q: Any clue as to how the character of Josef would have developed? Were there any ideas developed as to Josef's back story?

Trevor: Thanks for the question. Although Josef makes mention of being chased by a torch-bearing mob in one episode, Ron & I didn't really have a set back-story in mind for him. We tossed a lot of different ideas around, & we did hope to explore and uncover that in long course of the series. In the beginning, we hoped to have more episodes like Sleeping Beauty, in which we explored a character's past & brought some element of that into the present. Unfortunately we didn't get to do that as much as we would have liked. However, I'm certain that if the series had continued we would have addressed that. On another note, I have toyed with the idea of writing some sort of prequel back story for Josef at some point down the line. Although I don't have the rights to necessarily do it, I think I might be able to get around that by virtue of the fact that whoever Josef was in the past, he would have had another name.

Q: Were you surprised at just how popular the character of Josef became?

Trevor: That's interesting. I know that Josef is popular, but I doubt I'm fully aware of just how popular if what you told me is any indication. Josef was an intriguing character to begin with. Obviously, we initially cast an older actor in the role because we wanted him to feel like an archetypal mentor. Later, when the role was recast younger, we were equally enthusiastic about the idea. At the time, although excited about the possibility, our main concern was would it even be possible to find a young actor capable of properly conveying the worldliness & wry wisdom of a being who had lived for 400 plus years. Luckily, we found Jason Dohring, who exceeded all of our expectations & knocked it out of the park. Because Jason was so good & effective, however, I don't find it too surprising that the character struck such a chord with viewers...

Q: Can the Cure ever be made permanent? And Josef seems like he knows a lot more about the Cure, & Lance, than he's letting on, what was the story there?

Trevor: As for the specifics as to the Cure & what Josef knows of it, I don't think anyone really knows. The fun in creating a show is that the writers come up with all kinds of potentially cool, fun, interesting ways to go, & then you sort of make it up as you go along according to the necessities & dictates of the episode at hand. Nothing is set in stone until it is. I'm sure the staff would have had a lot of fun exploring the specifics of the Cure over time, if they'd been able, but I don't think anything was decided for sure at the time of the show's end…

Q: Were there any plans to explain exactly how Coraline (& Josef for that matter) managed to survive a fire that should have killed most Vamps? With the scene of Lance's hand regenerating in episode 12, most fans have assumed the ability to survive a fire is somehow tied in with either the Duvall's particular bloodline, or their use of the mortal cure. Is this the direction you would have headed in, or did you have something different in mind?

Trevor: Personally, I like the mythology that suggests a vampire is able to survive a fire if their ashes aren't scattered. That's probably what we intended in the pilot episode, the bigger issue, for me was how we saw her in the window after she was staked which we had already set up as a rule. This was actually a problem that developed in the shooting which we became aware of too late. As for Josef, Ron & I wrote a short scene revealing that Josef had a secret fire bunker in his office, but ultimately had to cut it, leaving that an open question as a result. As for what the plan was with Lance in ep 12, I really can't speak to that as I wasn't around for the discussion. Not sure what the plan or logic was at that point...

Q: In regards to Sarah, in the last episode a memorial service is held for her, with the assumption that she has passed on. When you wrote Sleeping Beauty, did you have an idea of what the character's ultimate fate would be, & would you have wanted it to be different to what we actually got. Would Sarah have woken up at some point, & if that was to happen, was there any discussions about how it would be achieved (eg Beth's blood, something to do with the Mortal Cure, etc)?

Trevor: Ron & I discussed potentially bringing Sarah back at some point. I think she could have made a really cool addition at least for a period of time. It would have been nice to explore Josef's character a little more deeply through his association to her. We also talked about bringing her back, but potentially having her be 'off' somehow, as a result of her long sleep…

Q: In the Moonlight world, we know a stake won't kill a vampire. What about a broken neck? Will that kill or only temporarily incapacitate a vamp?

Trevor: I think a broken neck would only slow a vampire down temporarily. However, a severed head is another matter.

Q: A lot of fans were disappointed with the fact that there were no extras on Moonlight's DVD release. Do you think there's any chance of us getting something like that at some stage in the future? What about a Blu-ray release as well, what would need to happen in order to make that a possibility?

Trevor: Well they have the footage if they want to use it. There were lots of interviews & behind-the-scenes footage taken throughout. It seems likely that at some point re-releasing the DVD with some of that stuff may begin to seem like a good idea to them. Perhaps writing in & expressing a desire to TPTB for something like that would help create momentum to make it happen.

Q: Everyone has their own ideas of what happened 'after the door closed' (Sonata's final scene), how would you have written that ending - would you have left it ambiguous, like they did, or would you have given the fans a bit more closure. In terms of Mick's character, from your point of view, do you think it's conceivable that he 'sealed the deal' with Beth at that stage.

Trevor: I think they handled it pretty well in that respect. Particularly because no one thought they were actually writing the final episode at that point. Had they known, I think they would have been a better finale to be had, but as a season one closer, that seems pretty good.

Q: I know that vampires are dead & blood & cold staves off decay, & you can tell the age of the vamp by the smell (I'm assuming humans can't smell it) but to what level of decay can they go? Is smell the only indicator of their decay?

Trevor: Yes, that is one thing that many people don't really seem to pick up on. I never intended for the human population to be able to detect the scent of decomposition in vampires. In my mind it was just something they were aware of between themselves, however, perhaps in very late states of decay, as with a character like Brasher (Angel of Vengeance novel), a human might be able to pick up on it.

Q: If you could write an ending for Moonlight, maybe tie up some loose ends, what would be the outcome? Happy endings all round? Or would you leave some ends loose, leaving people to wonder?

Trevor: Personally, I like to keep things a little messy. I would try to tie up the big points, but still maybe leave room for speculation. I like the idea of leaving breathing room for the audience to have their own opinions on things...

Q: With the benefit of hindsight, is there anything you would change about Moonlight?

Trevor: If I had my way, I would keep the show on a track more like Ron & I initially envisioned, where more of the episodes would reveal a piece of one of the characters long backstories, & then bring that into the present like we did with Sleeping Beauty. I like that formula for the show. I love the idea of exploring the long histories of the characters & peeling back the layers of their personalities & lives more & more...

Q: There has been a lot of speculation about it in the community. Where do you personally see Josef as originally hailing from?

Trevor: To be honest, I haven't made that decision. I have some thoughts on it, but haven't really come to any definite conclusions. It would be fun to explore it at some point down the line, however...

Q: What is the skin temperature of the Moonlight vampires? Unlike other vampire lore, which mention the "cold/cool skin," Moonlight vampire skin temperature seems to not be an issue for humans, so I'm wondering--after they emerge from the freezer, maybe take a warm shower, have a glass of blood (which "warms & thrills," as I recall) do they kind of get to close to 98.6F? If they only warm up to room temperature, they'd still feel quite cold to the touch & I don't recall Beth EVER saying--"Mick! Your skin is so cold! What's the matter?" (She'd have made an issue of it, I'm sure.) So the QUESTION: Do they feel human to humans as far as skin temperature? And how do they get there from freezing?

Trevor: It's a good question. In the book of course, Mick's cool texture is commented on by Reesa, but the issue was never really addressed in the show, which would seem to indicate that vamps have a more normal temperature. I don't think it was an intentional decision, however, early-on we decided that although vampires don't need to have heartbeats, or respirate they do so in order to better blend in amongst the humans. So, logistically, perhaps this is just one more example of that...

Q: Who submitted The List & who is on it?

Trevor: I don't know much about the List. The writing for the last 4 eps got done without Ron and I after the strike, so sadly, neither of us were privy to the backstory created for them...

Q: How did the older vamps manage without freezers? - a cold tomb, cave or catacomb is all well & good but they won't reach the temps that freezers can, & vamps in hotter climes would struggle.

Trevor: Yes, I suppose older vampires just had to make do with what was available. Perhaps lack of freezer access caused the aging process worked more quickly on older generations of vamps.
Fan Fiction

Q: With all of the really well written Moonlight FanFic, have you ever had the chance to read any of the many stories?

Trevor: I've only read one or two pieces in the past, & those came highly recommended & were actually very good. As with all those involved in creating shows, reading fanfic can be a little worrisome. The last thing any writer wants is to be accused of having been influenced by something they saw or read elsewhere. For this reason, the general wisdom is to stay away from fanfic, especially while a show is running. In general however, although i don't personally read much of it myself, I'm very supportive of fanfic & anything that gets people writing & creating.

Q: Alex once admitted his own fascination with the ambiguous nature of Vampires, & as I like to say 'Vampires are outside the realms of human constructed notions of sexuality'. What's your take on this aspect of the Vampire, & if it had been possible, would you have considered exploring a past relationship between Mick & Josef?

Trevor: It's an interesting question. In general, I think that being caught up as he is in the sort of hard-boiled, and lets face it- narrow-minded views on sexuality of his era, as conceived, whatever Mick's impulses might be, in his current state of mind it seems unlikely that he would enter into a romantic relationship with another man. Even in the reality of the show, where Mick is more sensitive & in touch with who he is, I think if that were to be a reality, it feels like it would have to come after a longer period of time further down the line, as Mick lives on and sees beyond the mores that were instilled in him as a man of his day, rather than in his past. For me, Mick & Josef's friendship was always one about a brotherly love, trust, loyalty & mutual respect. But I think it's totally cool if people want to explore other dynamics in fanfic. It's all up for grabs in the creative universe.

Q: Do you differentiate between Fan Fiction written for Moonlight & Fan Fiction written for Angel of Vengeance. Are you ok with one, but not the other, or are you happy enough for fans to write Fan Fiction of both?

Trevor: I'm happy to have people write whatever fanfic they want to write. I'm a big believer in the creative process. Personally, I get my kicks creating wholly new characters & worlds, but I think whatever gets someone involved in the process is a good thing. On top of being flattering, it's just nice to see others become interested & involved with characters I have created & love, whether it's Moonlight, or Angel of Vengeance...

Q: At what point did you become aware of the existence of Fan Fiction, was it when the show was still on the air? What about my side of the fence (I'm assuming you knew that such a thing as Slash Fiction existed before you spoke to me), when did you find out about that side of things?

Trevor: I don't think I really knew about fanfic until the strike. I think I may first have heard about it from fans who came out to support us while that was going on. If not, if was sometime soon after that when I began connecting with fans on the internet. As for Slash Fiction, I became aware of that far more recently, but yes I had already gotten the low down on it before you & I discussed it.

Q: If someone came to you for advice on how to write the four main characters (ie Mick, Beth, Josef, Coraline), what advice would you give them?

Trevor: I think the key is giving each a distinct personality & viewpoint. Also using the idea of opposites like points on a compass can be helpful. Generally when people are forced to come together, the greater the differences, the more interesting the interactions...
General

Q: With the amount of vampire fiction that currently exists, it seems every author needs to put his or her own spin on the vampire mythology to make it unique. How easy or difficult did you find it to come up with your own mythology?

Trevor: I found it pretty easy to do in my case. One of the best parts of the process was putting my own stamp on the vampire mythos & just having fun with it. I general, I tried to do two things: Make the rules fall in line with noir storylines, & try to make more logistical sense of the rules that existed. For instance giving vampires a shadow & a reflection, but tweaking what they saw in the mirror.

Q: When you write, do you have a good idea of where the whole story is going & how the characters will develop before you start? Or is it more of an initial flash of inspiration, and seeing where it takes you when you start to write?

Trevor: I do it both ways. When I am hired to write something I usually give them the basic pitch & lay-out & then I develop an entire outline before I start, as per the dictates of a writing contract. However, I prefer to have the burst of inspiration, & maybe an idea of where to start & where to end, & then just let the characters lead the way…

Q: Which do you prefer - writing a book, or writing for television?

Trevor: I like writing both. My goal as a writer is to have as many different avenues & formats to tell stories in as possible. They each have their positives & it keeps things interesting to be able to switch between them...

Q: What do you think of the current resurgence of all things vampire?

Trevor: I love vampires, & it's fun to see vampires coming back so strongly, but it does feel like a lot of people have since jumped on the bandwagon. I've always been very selective with the vampire tales I tend to enjoy. Most I would rather leave than take, & it doesn't seem to me that despite the greater numbers of vampire stories out there, that there seems to be a proportionally greater number of really intriguing, fresh vampires stories to be found.

Q: Do you stay in contact with Alex, Sophia, Jason or any of the other cast members?

Trevor: I talk with Sophia more than any of the others. We talked recently about possibly collaborating on something again down the line. I also exchange emails with Alex periodically, but since he got busy with H50 we haven't really connected. I've also talked with Brian White and David Blue a little...

Q: Excluding Moonlight, and Angel of Vengenace, who is your all time favourite vampire?

Trevor: I don't know if I have an all time favorite vampire. Of course I like Dracula, the daddy of them all. I'm also a big fan of Anne Rice's Louis, as well as Blade, and David in the Lost Boys...

Q: Just for fun: If it was possible, would you like to be a vampire? And if so, who would you like to turn you?

Trevor: It's a tough question. Living forever as an attractive, powerful being would be pretty cool, but the trade off in my mind- the loss of that which makes you human- which I have created for my vampires is a tough thing for me to accept. Ultimately, I think I'd have to say no, but if the right femme fatale caught me at a weak moment, I might choose differently... Or maybe she'd choose for me...

Q: How & when did you first start writing? Did you always want to be a writer?

Trevor: I pretty much knew I wanted to be a writer from a very early age. I loved stories & reading, & I quickly decided I wanted to write my own. The problem early on was that I didn't have the vocabulary or language skills to be able to tell the stories in my head the way I wanted. It was very frustrating & I think that's what made my mind up to learn how to do it & begin practicing at such a young age. I started writing "books" & stories some time during first grade & never stopped...
"Vampires are outside the realms of human constructed notions of sexuality"

I will go down with this ship
And I won't put my hands up and surrender
There will be no white flag above my door
I'm in love and always will be

Queen of the Jock (Josef/Mick) Shippers
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Re: Q&A with Trevor Munson

Post by Lilly »

Em, this is fabulous! :yahoo: Thank you so much for posting it here. :hug:

I have to say, this is one of the best interviews with Trevor that I've seen. :hearts: I have to read it again and then I'm sure I'll have more to add.
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
Avatar from "Matasaburo of the Wind" © 2009 Alex Gross, used with the permission of the artist
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Wow - you made me late to work, I couldn't "put this down"! Thank you so much, Em, for sharing this wonderful interview with us! :hearts: Isn't Trevor a doll???? :hug: :rose:
wondergirl9847
Rogue vampire

Post by wondergirl9847 »

WOAH! A treasure trove of goodness! Fabulous, Emerald! :twothumbs:

A few thoughts:

Adrian Brody...ehhh, not for me. Clive Owen I can totally see as Mick Angel though. :thumbs:

I really hate that Trevor (and Ron) was left out of a lot of the later decisions for the show. You can tell it too. I wish they'd stuck with the noir and character's backstories more. I like Trevor's dark/gothic vision.

Frustrates me to NO end that they have so much ML footage and we got NOTHING on the DVDs. ARG! :witsend: After what we went through, writing to major corporations has ZERO appeal for me. :(

VERY surprised that he stays in touch with Miss Sophia! That's wonderful and I really hope they collaborate in the near future. :biggrin:
*Christy*

fairytoes
Rogue vampire

Post by fairytoes »

What a fantastic interview. :clapping: Thank you so much for sharing Emerald! :flowers:
Wonderful Banner by Redwinter
Gorgeous Avi by Lilly
Thank you!
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

Man, I'd love to have a chance to sit down and talk to Trevor, with a copy of this interview in hand.

Great stuff, Em!

Lucky
Emerald
Sire

Post by Emerald »

You guys are more than welcome, I can't take all the credit for this interview though, our members on the VampSisters Messageboard really put their thinking caps on, and came up with some great questions. :twothumbs:

And yes, Trevor is an absolute doll. :hearts: He is seriously one of the nicest, most genuine people I've had the pleasure of meeting lately. We've actually been chatting a bit over the past several months, and not once has he ever made me feel like I'm just some fan who's bothering him, or that he's reluctantly deigning to speak to. He is so accommodating, and open, and encouraging, he's just a really, really genuinely sweet guy all round. We've had numerous discussions on everything from the history of the Vampire genre, to Jungian ideas of Schizophrenia & Psychosis, to the history of the Moonlight Slash community, and the alternate interpretations there are of Josef & Mick's relationship, to comparing notes on different writing techniques, to conversations on fan fiction and non profit fan organisations such as the Order of Transformative works, and more. He is a really switched on, and intelligent guy. :yes: When I'm a little better than what I have been recently, he's also agreed to do a voice interview via Skype with me for the Alex O'Loughlin Fans for Donate Life, talking about his own experience with his Mother's life being saved through bone marrow donation. I'm really looking forward to it, although I already expect I'm going to be nervous as hell. :laugh:

librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

I've been thinking about some of Trevor's comments, and one particular thing really struck me: his use of the term "elegant" to describe ML. This seems dead on to me. The settings, costumes, and characters were all elegant. So very much so...it really is the perfect adjective.
Emerald
Sire

Post by Emerald »

I'll go back through some of the messages we've exchanged, and post some of the other questions and answers from Trevor as well when I have a bit of time. :)

Return to “Trevor Munson - Moonlight's Creator”