Tethered (Champagne Challenge #129) PG-13

A place for GuardianAngel's G to PG-13 stories
GuardianAngel
Courtesan

Re: Tethered (Champagne Challenge #129) PG-13

Post by GuardianAngel »

r1015bill: Yes, that's how I saw it happening if Josh didn't die. It would have been 'difficult & complicated' X 10.

Lucky! : I'm honored to see you here and appreciate your giving this a read. Let's just say I'm REAL happy they didn't go this route on the show. :)

LadyAilith: Thank you. They would really have no choice but to do the 'right thing'. What kind of person would Beth be if she didn't stick by Josh when he needed her most? How could Mick not respect that? *sigh*

maggatha3: In the show I was sad to see Josh die too. But seeing it from this perspective, yeah, he had to go. LOL. You're welcome. ;)

NightAir: Really! What else COULD they do? I think you're right though, NA, M&B would always be tethered at some level.

Alle: :flowers: I got blubbery while I was writing it. LOL. I agree - Mick would relegate himself to the shadows but he probably wouldn't be able to go very far. Watching over Beth is what he does best. :)

francis: Image Sorry to freak you out. Not a good situation, for sure. They all lose in this scenario. In time I think Josh would realize Beth is only with him out of obligation and her heart was elsewhere and he'd break up with her. Wonder how long that would take.

wpgrace: Ain't it? :mdrama: LOL. Thanks, grace.

fleur: I vote we go hang out in the Hot Shower Thread. It's much better over there. :winky: Hey, if Pgal's version DID happen, mine wouldn't even be a possibility. Thanks, Sweetie.

loveyoumick: You're making perfect sense - this is dramatic tragedy. It has the beauty of sacrifice but still so sad. We want there to be a different ending but realize there isn't one. Another shot? Hmm. Maybe.

jen: Wow, I hand't thought of that, jen. It IS kinda like Lilah and Ray all over again. Except that Beth hasn't had the joy of really being with Mick. :brow: Does that make it easier or harder to you suppose? You're welcome. :flowers:

dsr: Oh yeah, you know he wanted to and she wanted him to. But yeah, only the heartbreaking choice could be made. Glad it never happened this way.

cassysj: Staying with someone for the wrong reason always turns out badly. But really, what else can they do? Thanks.

redwinter: Image You always humble me with your praise. Thank you. This is the way I saw it going down if Josh had lived. I'd have been doing all the crying and hand-wringing for them. LOL That line twisted my gut too, Red.
PNWgal
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by PNWgal »

Shame on me for not commenting on this earlier. :blushing:

One of the great things about working with you is that I get to watch your fic in progress. :hyper2: I knew this one was going to be a heart-breaker from the beginning, and I was sniffling through the pieces I was watching you write.

The whole thing together just made me WEEP. :hankie:

This is EXACTLY how I see this working out if Josh had lived. Beth's guilt would have obligated her to stay even though she wanted to be with Mick, and Mick would never let Beth leave Josh for him.

This is where I started blubbering:
GuardianAngel wrote:He tried to keep his arms down but, although they felt as if they each weighed a ton, they refused to stay at his side. It was Mick’s last chance to touch her, hold her warm body against his and imbibe in all that was Beth. Leadened fingers threaded through her hair and splayed across her back, memorizing how she felt. It would have to last an eternity. Mick’s head fell forward, his nose rested below her ear. Closing his eyes he inhaled and let her essence permeate his body.
There's such finality in that paragraph, Mick taking everything he can in, because he knows it will be the last time he touches her.

Just... :hankie:

Lovely, my friend. All kinds of lovely. :heart:

Banner by the talented GuardianAngel

"It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." - George Eliot

"The dogs may bark, but the caravan passes on." - old Arab proverb

"Do the best you can do. Love many. Trust few." - Jack Ingram
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Darn you, Pgal - now I'm crying again! :hankie: :hankie: :hankie: :hankie: :hankie:
PNWgal
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by PNWgal »

*hands Alle a tissue*

Awwww, babe.... :comfort2:

Banner by the talented GuardianAngel

"It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." - George Eliot

"The dogs may bark, but the caravan passes on." - old Arab proverb

"Do the best you can do. Love many. Trust few." - Jack Ingram
GuardianAngel
Courtesan

Post by GuardianAngel »

PNWgal wrote:Shame on me for not commenting on this earlier. :blushing:

One of the great things about working with you is that I get to watch your fic in progress. :hyper2: I knew this one was going to be a heart-breaker from the beginning, and I was sniffling through the pieces I was watching you write.

The whole thing together just made me WEEP. :hankie:

This is EXACTLY how I see this working out if Josh had lived. Beth's guilt would have obligated her to stay even though she wanted to be with Mick, and Mick would never let Beth leave Josh for him.

This is where I started blubbering:
GuardianAngel wrote:He tried to keep his arms down but, although they felt as if they each weighed a ton, they refused to stay at his side. It was Mick’s last chance to touch her, hold her warm body against his and imbibe in all that was Beth. Leadened fingers threaded through her hair and splayed across her back, memorizing how she felt. It would have to last an eternity. Mick’s head fell forward, his nose rested below her ear. Closing his eyes he inhaled and let her essence permeate his body.
There's such finality in that paragraph, Mick taking everything he can in, because he knows it will be the last time he touches her.

Just... :hankie:

Lovely, my friend. All kinds of lovely. :heart:
Like you need to comment. You gave me plenty as I was writing. That said, Image LOL. You got exactly what I was going for. Of course, Mick would feel that way. He doesn't think he deserves Beth to begin with. He most probably thinks this is what he gets for wishful thinking.

Thanks, Sweets. Even if you did make Alle cry.
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

Sigh. Re-read.

You know, the grim irony here is, whichever scenario occurred, the canon one or this one, Mick worked heroically to save Josh. And for him, it turned out to be a buzzkill.

Here, he succeeds, Beth is grateful, she acknowledges those efforts, and she loves him all the more for it. But Mick loses her, for the near future, at least.

Canonically, he fails. Same effort, but he fails. She refuses to acknowledge those efforts. His heroism wasn't heroic enough. She resents him, blames him, rejects him. Mick loses her for the near future.

Tho that near future was only a week. Failure worked out. :chin:
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)
Lucy
Ancient

Post by Lucy »

That is pure pain personified.....all three are hurting.
Moonlightsonata
Rogue vampire

Post by Moonlightsonata »

Just reading this now. Very good story but so glad it didn't turn out this way. Would have been heartbreaking for all three.
Thank you Coco for the lovely banner.
MickLifeCrisis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by MickLifeCrisis »

I think when this was first posted, I read the beginning and skedaddled out of here so fast...

Now I finally got up the nerve to read it all the way through. *reaches for tissue* :hankie:

What a gut-wrencher. I like the way Lucky said it... three souls in pain. And whatever happens from now on, someone will always feel guilty, and true happiness will elude them. :Mickangel:

*needs more tissues*

It's a beautiful story. Thank you!
MickLifeCrisis
Many thanks to Twilightdew for my banner and avi.
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

She's good at making you love her for torturing you, isn't she? :snicker: Darn you, GA... this one is just sooooooo hard. :hankie: :Mickangel: :bmoon: But you make it so beautifully "them" I can't help but love it.
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Don't you think it will make it both easier and harder.

Easier in that she will not have that memory torturing her, a constant reminder of what she has given up and harder in that she will not have that memory to retreat to, and she will need happy memories to retreat to from the harsh reality she must deal with now.

They can deny their connection as much as they like but it remains.

Mick and Beth may elect to try putting some distance between them--involving either a relocation for Mick or a move for Josh and Beth. Nevertheless, Josh is both a bright and very nice guy. I think he is the type of person who would work toward regaining his profession and I don't expect he will permit Beth to do this to herself...or to him.

Fabulous story!
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix
Luxe de Luxe
Sire

Post by Luxe de Luxe »

wow this is great.... ten tonnes of angst in a thimble sized fic. great stuff, GA. The first few lines fooled me... I didn't expect it to go there but am glad you did. what a premise! josh without a leg to stand on in the love stakes and Beth shackled to him by guilt, Mick all noble and self sacrificing. Argh it hurts so good!
Banner by the talented Hot Micks
GuardianAngel
Courtesan

Post by GuardianAngel »

Sometimes I'm in a very morose mood and think up these sad scenarios. Thank you all for sharing it with me. I'm very happy it didn't actually happen this way - I don't think I could have taken it.
...josh without a leg to stand on in the love stakes
OMG, Luxe, you made me choke. LMAO. Glad it hurt so good.
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

GuardianAngel

This is amazing.

Your nailed the essence of these three people.

Put them in this situation and that is exactly how they would behave. Beth would sacrifice her happiness out of guilt, duty and a bit of love. Mick would, too--after all, he's Mick. Josh is the wildcard here. He very well may come to surprise all of us. He loves Beth, and in the sequel to this that you wrote (in my imagination), he may not play along for very long. He's afraid, and he does need her but he wants what's best for his Beth, too.

Thank you!

Jenna

:hearts: :flowers: :hearts: :flowers:
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Wow.

Just reread this and was struck in the similarity of the situation here to Mick and Lilah's parting.

Once again, Mick gives up the woman he loves and who loves him for the sake of another.

Heartbreaking, and yet so true to who he is.

Thank you!

Jenna

:hearts: :flowers: :hearts: :flowers:

Return to “GuardianAngel's Office”