A Fresh Start for Sarah & Charles 2010 PG Forgiveness Series

cassysj
100% Moonlightaholic

A Fresh Start for Sarah & Charles 2010 PG Forgiveness Series

Post by cassysj »

I realized I haven't done a one-shot in my Charles & Sarah series in over a year. I decided to write a story five years after the death of Sarah's mother Anne.

I do not own any recognizable Moonlight characters no copyright infringement is intended

Sarah Whitley looked in the mirror and sighed. She brushed her hair and sighed again.

“Charles!”

No response from the freezer.

“Charles!!!” Then she remembered he told her last night he was dropping Charles as a first name in favor of Josef.

“Josef!!!!

The freezer opened instantly. “What can I do for you Love?”

“Answer when I call you.”

“Sarah, I’ve let you call me Charles since you woke up in 1960. We’re moving and you have to adapt to my new name.

“Fine, but Josef??? Why the weird spelling?”

“It’s the accurate spelling. Now what did you need at….he glanced at the clock 7:30 in the morning.

I want to change my hair style.”

“Honey, I’ve been many things but hair dresser is not among them.”

“Ch… Josef this is serious. I’ve only trimmed my hair in the last sixty years. I want to go short, but I read this article that hair doesn’t really grow after death that it’s an optical illusion.”

“That is true, for dead “dead” people. For animated corpses our hair grows. It is at a much slower pace so you need to be sure about the length but it will grow back.”

Sarah smiled “I was thinking about a bob, like Mother used to wear.”

Josef rubbed her shoulders. Anne’s death five years ago had sunk Sarah into a deep depression. She didn’t want to move because her mother died here. He had finally convinced that a change of scenery was necessary.

“If that is what you want to do I’m all for it. Just remember you won’t look exactly like Mother because her hair was straight.

“I know. She said softly. “So do you really think I’ll like Boston?”

“Yes. Part of it will remind you of New York, I’ve kept you in the California sun for too long.”

“It will be nice to have seasons again. What about my name?

“You have to change your last name. We already discussed that”

“You made me write Sarah Kostan five hundred times last night. I meant my first name. Why should you get off easy?”

“You’re right. Shall I call you Britney, Paris, Brooklyn, Madison? What kind of modern name would you like?

Sarah hesitated. “Anna.”

“Are you sure?”

“Yes. I don’t want to be Anne, that might be painful for both of us but I want to honor my mother.

“Anna it is, do you have a middle name?”

“Anna Sarah Kostan.”

“Your hand is going to get a workout today. You have to write that and your new birthdate a thousand times.”

Sarah shoved him on the bed. “Why is it double?”

“Because Sarah Kostan is in your head from last night. Your birthdate also has to be natural. What did you pick?

“December 16th

“That’s the day your father’s plane crashed.”

“That’s the day I was reborn”

“Whatever works it’s just….”

“Just what?”

“Between Christmas with the freshies and now my wife’s birthday December is going to be a very expensive month. Riley is going to make a fortune off me.

Sarah laughed. “He’s not Riley Flannagan anymore. He changed his name to Charles….

“Charles Riley. I can still call him Riley if I want”

“You always find a loophole for yourself.” Sarah teased. “Is he leaving LA?”

“Yes, he’s moving to New York with that tart he married.”

“Charles! I mean Josef. Her name is Plum.”

“I know her name. When vampires marry freshies, it upsets the apple cart.”

Sarah raised her eyebrow. “You mean the tangerine cart.”

“My Tangerine is fine, thank you very much. It’s the other fruits and flowers I worry about.”

“I think you should invite Tangie to move to Boston with us.”

Josef was surprised. “A clean break is usually best.”

“Josef, she has a terrible family. Her sister is moving to New York, they’ll be able to visit each other.”

“I’m very fond of Tangie.” Josef said. “But I think we should have all new surroundings.”

“Josef, if it wasn’t for Tangie, I never would have moved forward.”

“I don’t understand.”

“The day Plum got married, I heard her father say terrible things to Tangie. He wouldn’t say a word against Plum because he was scared of her fiancée. He directed all his attention at our little fruit. You can’t imagine the venom that spewed out of his mouth. Her father is a monster.”

Josef chose his words carefully. “That must have brought back a few memories.”

Sarah nodded. “Yes, but the worst thing was her mother was there and she didn’t say anything to stand up for her daughter. My father was ruthless but my mother was always my champion. Tangie walked down the aisle for her sister and no one saw her pain.

Every day I wish my mother was still here, but I had seventy-one glorious years with her. Seeing how badly Tangie is treated made me realize how lucky I was…am. The night you took the girls clubbing I had a long talk with my mother.

Josef looked very concerned.

“I’m not crazy. I went to my suite and told her about the wedding and how much I missed her and then I tried to imagine what she would say back.”

He put his arm around her. “What happened?”

“At first I imagined that she hugged me, and told me she missed me as much as I missed her and that it hurt to be separated but then…..

“What Baby, you can tell me.”

“A bottle of Chanel No 5 fell off the nightstand and spilled all over me. I reeked of it.”

“Anne loved that perfume.” Josef said.

“I know but I can’t stand the smell anymore. I was scrubbing myself raw in the bathtub when I started to think about her again only this time she was yelling at me.”

“For wasting her perfume?” He teased.

She smiled “No, for wasting my life. I remembered what she said the day that she died. No one lives forever and she would see us in heaven. She reminded me that you spent five long years waiting for me to wake up and now I was in a walking coma.”

“Honey, that’s not true. I know it’s been hard for you.”

She put her finger on his lips. “Let me finish. I thought about how Tangie has no one on her side but Plum and us. I will not leave her to those vultures. I want her to move with us, set up a new household.”

“I think she would like that. he said gently.

“Then after a year or so she’s going back to college.”

“Sarah you can’t mother the freshies.”

A wicked grin spread across Sarah’s face. “I told you my name is Anna. I want you to write five hundred times. My wife is Anna Sarah Kostan and she was born December 16th, 1989

Josef laughed. “No, that’s my warning. You didn’t say when the name change went into effect. Now that I know I won’t make the same mistake twice.

Sarah pouted. “Mr. Loophole. Well, Tangie is going to college whether she likes it or not. I know I’m not her mother, but I am her vampire and that give me the right to give her advice, a sympathetic ear and a blistered bottom if she doesn’t listen to me. Her father told her she's too stupid to be anything but dinner. I'm going to show her that she is an intelligent talented young woman. I owe her that much, she showed me what it is to be a survivor.

“I wouldn’t dream of disagreeing with you. You’ll make me write a thousand times. I will not argue with my wife Anna Sarah Kostan”

She kissed him. “No arguing with you is half the fun. We haven’t had a good quarrel in a very long time.”

“I love fighting with you Anna.”

“Me too Josef.
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Re: A Fresh Start for Sarah & Charles 2010 PG Forgiveness Se

Post by francis »

Sarah is good at balancing moving on and remembering fondly. And she really is good for Josef, and for Tangie. I love how they banter and Mr. Loophole... he's just sneaky like that. :snicker:

:hearts:
cassysj
100% Moonlightaholic

Re: A Fresh Start for Sarah & Charles 2010 PG Forgiveness Se

Post by cassysj »

I love playing in this AU. Josef has had four hundred years to find all the loopholes. :snicker:

Return to “Forgiveness”