Camino del Monte Sol ch. 6 (with OBTS) -- PG-13

librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Camino del Monte Sol ch. 6 (with OBTS) -- PG-13

Post by librarian_7 »

Author’s Note: This story is a collaboration between OnceBitTwiceShy and myself for Champagne Challenge #128: Reader/Writer II. OBTS provided the idea of Josef visiting Santa Fe in the 1920’s, and running into…well, you’ll have to read the story. The settings are as accurate as I can make them, having been in Santa Fe myself many times, and also using various resources on the City Different, as they call it, and its inhabitants back in the ‘20s. While I could find no record of a hotel located in Sena Plaza, such a place does exist, and who knows? It could have housed a small hotel at one time. The artists’ colony, and their compound on Camino del Monte Sol, are documented. There will be a thread with a set of pictures and links to places, costumes, cars, posted after most chapters. My thanks to OBTS not only for the idea, but for her encouragement and input as the story progressed. I don’t own Josef, or any of the historical locations and personages mentioned in the story. Any errors or misrepresentations of fact are mine.

Camino del Monte Sol

VI. The Plaza Café

At a quarter after six in the morning, the traffic around the plaza was light, with only a few isolated pedestrians abroad. That would change, shortly, but for now, the cool gray dawn city was quiet.

Inside the Plaza Café on the northwest corner of the square, a few tables held an early breakfast crowd, and one booth in the back was full. Stephen toyed with a cup of coffee while he watched Dorothea, Patrice, and Louise eating huevos rancheros with green chili. Louise, sitting beside him, made faces at the flavor with each bite, and stole his coffee cup for sips from time to time. He didn’t mind; he didn’t drink coffee.

The gallery party had run late, and the after-party at the compound on Camino del Monte Sol had gone until almost sunrise. It was perhaps a little subdued, without Reza’s vivid personality in attendance, but it had gone well enough, Stephen thought. Now, it was time for a little post-party information exchange.

He waited until the girls were well along with their breakfasts, before he pinned down Patrice with his intense brown gaze and asked, “So what did you find out from the gallery crowd, sweetheart?”

Patrice put down her fork. “Not much, really. Of course, almost everyone there last night was a friend of the artists, but I didn’t hear anything against them. They honor their commitments and pay their bills as best they can.”

“As best they can?”

She shrugged, picking up the fork for another bite of her eggs and chili. “Artists. What can I say—they live with gusto, but they don’t necessarily make much money.”

Louise laughed. “They’re not above pinching a stray bottom or so, I can tell you.”

Stephen put an arm around her. “Poor Lou Lou, is that pretty little behind sore?”

She squirmed. “It should be black and blue,” she pouted, snuggling closer to Stephen. “You could kiss it and make it better, you know.”

“You’re incorrigible, Lou Lou,” Stephen chuckled. “And it’s not your turn.”

Dorothea exchanged a glance with Patrice. There were times when Louise’s sex kitten act got a little tedious, but they’d both supposed, as long as Stephen seemed to like it, they could endure. “I found talking to other people last night most instructive, Stephen,” she said.

“How so, Thea?”

“There’s all this art being created in town, and too few venues for it. I think there is room for a private gallery here.”

Patrice nodded. “I heard the same thing. They’re getting more tourists all the time, and more artists. You could make some money on a gallery here, Stephen.”

“I’ll consider it. Of course, I’d have to find the right person to manage it.” He looked thoughtful, and focused on Dorothea. “Anything else you learned last night, doll?”

Dorothea colored delicately, and looked down at her plate, the runny yolk of a fried egg pooling amidst the chili and beans. “I was talking to Mr. Mruk last night about seeing him for some painting lessons.”

“I was under the impression you were talking mostly to Bakos.”

“Oh. Well, yes. Jozef is a fascinating conversationalist.”

Stephen raised an eyebrow. “Indeed. And a quick worker, it seems.” He was distracted by Louise taking the coffee cup from his hand. “Lou Lou, you’re never going to get to sleep.”

She blinked up at him. “I can sleep all day, can’t I?”

“Not today, sweetheart. I have a little surprise for all of you.” Stephen smirked, relishing the attention they all turned toward him.

Dorothea shook her head. “Now what, Stephen?”

“I’ll pick you up at, say, 12:30, and we’re going to Nash’s studio. He’s going to do a portrait of the three of you, and today is the first sitting.”

Three pairs of eyes flashed, and three plates were simultaneously pushed away.

“Stephen,” Patrice groaned, “how can you do this to us?”

“What?” His surprise was unfeigned.

“Taking us to eat something so fattening, and then telling us we’re being painted,” Dorothea explained.

“I don’t think one plate of huevos rancheros will seriously damage your figures, ladies,” he rejoined.

“That’s all well and good,” Louise said, still in the shelter of Stephen’s loose embrace, “but what shall we wear?”

He laughed. “Something easy to take off,” he suggested. “Nash is going to paint you au naturel. Now, finish your breakfasts.”

“Not a chance,” Patrice said, and Stephen frowned at her in mock displeasure.

“At least the orange juice,” he said. “You girls don’t need to diet. It’s not good for your blood.”

Dorothea sighed and leaned her cheek on one hand. “Stephen?”

“Yes?”

“If we pose for Nash—”

“When you pose.”

“Fine. When we pose for Nash, isn’t there a chance he’s going to notice certain…marks? Artists really see things.” Her hand fluttered a little at the scarf she’d put around her neck.

Stephen couldn’t stop his hand from going up to Louise’s throat, causing her eyes to drift closed, either in memory or anticipation. “Not to worry, sweetheart. He’s not going to want to spread tales. Trust me on this.” He gave Louise a gentle, affectionate shake. “Now, let’s get you all home for a nap.”
cassysj
100% Moonlightaholic

Re: Camino del Monte Sol ch. 6 (with OBTS) -- PG-13

Post by cassysj »

librarian_7 wrote:

“If we pose for Nash—”

“When you pose.”

“Fine. When we pose for Nash, isn’t there a chance he’s going to notice certain…marks? Artists really see things.” Her hand fluttered a little at the scarf she’d put around her neck.

Stephen couldn’t stop his hand from going up to Louise’s throat, causing her eyes to drift closed, either in memory or anticipation. “Not to worry, sweetheart. He’s not going to want to spread tales. Trust me on this.” He gave Louise a gentle, affectionate shake. “Now, let’s get you all home for a nap.”

This was my favorite part. There is no doubt that they are going to pose but Thea has a point about the marks.

It is very naughty of him to tell them after breakfast. He knows enough about women to know better. :yes:
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

Josef? Naughty? Oh, surely not...

:rolling:

Lucky
tucutecats
Fledgling

Post by tucutecats »

We all have a love affair with naughty Joseph :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
eris
Sire

Post by eris »

librarian_7 wrote:Josef? Naughty? Oh, surely not...

Lucky
:giggle:
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by francis »

The way they agree so fast to be painted au naturel shows that they fit naughty Josef.
I love the way he told them - after breakfast. He enjoys the way women work differently from men.
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Oh, the poor Graces! All those beans and now they're going to be under the watchful eye of an artist who loves to paint all those interesting curves and bulges. :laugh:

I think Josef likes the fact that he's going to be showing off his ladies, marks and all. What does he have in mind...? :brow: :chin:
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

This is absolutely delicious.

The idea of a gallery in that locale is an inspired idea and sounds like a win/win for all concerned: it would benefit the artists both by giving them an venue to exhibit their work, a means of selling it, and would benefit their reputations, as well and the area would benefit financially and culturally. Not to mention the fact that Stephen might make a pretty penny, too.

Also, Stephen clearly loves awkward or he wouldn't have sprung the portrait sitting after breakfast like that. That was just mean. Those girls provide him with sustenance, information, continuous ego boosting session and what do they get? Told that they will pose nude for a painting after a big breakfast.

Tist, tisk.

So it seems that Stephen/Josef owes the beginnings of the Kostan Industries fortunes to his freshie eyes and ears, good business sense and some artists.

Cool.

Thank you!

Jenna

:hearts: :flowers: :hearts: :flowers:
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix
moonlight_vixen
Courtesan

Post by moonlight_vixen »

librarian_7 wrote:Josef? Naughty? Oh, surely not...

Lucky
Ha! I laughed out loud at this :snicker:

I love it!! I'm sure Josef will enjoy every moment at the studio :winky:
Banner And Avatar By Me
______________________________________________________________________________________
Proud Josef Exclusive+
Proud Co-Founder Of Maroon-A-Holics
THINK KOSTAN!
jenstc2003
Rogue vampire

Post by jenstc2003 »

The nerve of him! Making them break their diets before they have to be modeling in the nude! *Giggles* Poor girls! But I'm sure he'll make it up to them. Lovely chapter, Lucky!
Jen

Mick's Synful One
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

Now I understand why I like Thea so much....she's so practical, seeing a business opportunity for Stephen, yet worried about Nash might say if he sees certain marks. She's more worried about Steven than herself.....and I wonder why Stephen is so confident that Nash won't go telling tales....

I'm anxious to see how Nash handles these three ladies in their first sitting.....he may have signed up for far more than he bargained for.
darkstarrising
Love – the universal language, the story of Moonlight
View My Fanfic Index

Thanks to the talented and generous Phoenix for my beautiful banner!
NightAir
Fledgling

Post by NightAir »

Josef certainly has a knack for choosing multi-talented freshies. They provide him their blood, eyes and ears, advice, ego stroking, comfort,... among other things. :batseyes:
I'd like to know if the portrait of "The Three Graces" is hanging on his wall in present day LA, as well as the one of Reza. :teeth:
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

Well, you know he wants his girls well fed, so they have plenty of good blood for him....he won't have them starving themselves.

And as to where that painting hangs today...I've made some very interesting discoveries, which will be revealed in good time.

I'm growing fond of all the freshies. Even Lou Lou has her charms, you know.

I did want to note that my co-author is going out of town for a bit, so chapters may not be coming quite as fast. Don't give up, though, we've got lots written! And more in process.

Lucky
RangerCM
Rogue vampire

Post by RangerCM »

I'd love to be sitting next to Josef and sipping his coffee :whistle:
banner by Cprav

Return to “Camino del Monte Sol”