Copycat (PG-13) chapter 5

francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Copycat (PG-13) chapter 5

Post by francis »

Here's the next chapter of the Jenna/francis collaboration.

xxxxxxxxxxxx

The streets were still wet from the sudden deluge that drenched the city, washing the dust and smog from the air. There was no more standing water. The faint scent of ozone still hung in the air but around the crime scene, there was no smell at all. From that detail, Beth knew that the industrial deodorizer had been used once again to hide the killer’s identity. Once again she, the officers who found the body and Carl Davis were the only people on the scene. Carl had been called in when it was clear this was another slasher victim.

Beth knelt beside the body of attorney Reginald Leesome. Josh had told her about him when they were still together. He had been the attorney of choice for the highly placed organized crime figures in California but now he was evidence, laying on his side soaked by the rain. Beth noticed that he held one hand clutched against his chest, closed in a fist. She gently pushed him onto his back to get a look at his fist. She opened his hand and saw the final piece of evidence. A fleur de lis pendant on a heavy chain with a broken clasp. She smoothly scouped it up and slipped it into her pocket.

“Hey!” Carl Davis shouted. “Step away from the body, Beth. Don’t change the position it was in. Let the coroner’s office do that.”

“Sorry, I thought he might have had something in his hand,” she said.

“Did he?”

She shook her head, no, waiting for him to call her on the evidence tampering. He didn’t. He hadn’t seen her pocket the necklace.

“Let them find any evidence on the body.”

She got up.

“Carl, I need to go. I will just wait for the report from the autopsy like before. I have a terrible headache and I don’t see anything here to justify staying around.”

“Sure. Sorry I yelled at you, Beth. Feel better, OK?“

She nodded and drove directly to Josef’s office.

xxxxxxxxxxxx

“Beth, what brings you…” Josef’s words died on his lips as he read the anguish rolling off of his visitor in waves, which was in stark contrast to the lack of emotion on her face.

“Out.” he said briefly and two freshies walked out and closed the door.

“I am here about a matter that concerns both of us. Mick may have told you that there is a serial killer in L.A. who has been reducing the population of some of the worst offenders in L.A.. Most were sufficiently high profile to attract the media’s attention. Some had ongoing investigations and some of them have been reported and we have been investigating. The results have turned up some evidence that you need to be made aware of.”

She showed him the evidence, photo by photo and the statements of eyewitnesses that was ruled inadmissible and unreliable. Finally, she held out her hand with the final piece of evidence: the necklace she found less than an hour before, clutched in the hand of the latest victim.

“Have you talked to Mick?” he asked.

She shook her head. “I didn’t want to believe it. Still don’t, but I don‘t see any way around it. That is why I am here.”

“What do you want me to do?”

“I want him to relocate somewhere else under a new name. Preferably out of the country where the police can’t touch him. I have told you about the evidence I altered that pointed toward Mick, but it’s only a matter of time before the police put the pieces together. I am not the only investigator on this.”

Josef picked up his telephone and hit speed dial, never taking his eyes off the woman before him.

“Mick, I need to see you in my office,“ he said. “Yes, now. This is important. You can call her later. Fine. See you shortly.“

Josef got up from behind his desk and walked around to take Beth’s arm and lead her over to the sofa. She sat. He poured some scotch into a crystal glass and handed it to her. She downed it in one swallow. Sitting beside her and taking her hands in his, he spoke with a kindness and gentleness that she had never heard from him. He knew how much coming here had cost her.

“Beth, we’re going to get to the bottom of this, but I have to tell you that this doesn’t sound like Mick.”

Her eyes flared to life. “You think that I want this to be Mick? Are you crazy? I’ve been looking for something, anything that pointed away from him, but I can’t find it. Then, the necklace. I had to come to you. I-if Mick did this, then I don’t really know him at all.” The momentary flare of anger from her passed and she slumped. “Maybe I should have gone to him with thisl” she said softly.

“If he is guilty of these murders, he could kill you, too,” said Josef. “I have to say, Mick does not mind taking down a bad guy here and there. Remember Tejada? He didn’t leave the country. Mick took him out for killing Josh.”

“We never discussed that until yesterday, but I knew. Somehow… I just knew.”

“Beth, listen to me. You came to me and I appreciate that. However things go down tonight, you need to understand that you’re safe. You protected the Community’s secret and we will protect you. I know that you are aware that I have made people disappear from time to time, but you are not in danger here. Do you understand me?”

She looked into his eyes and he read her thoughts there. What happened to her didn’t matter to her at the moment.

“I know this is hard. Keep it together for a little while longer, OK?”

Beth nodded.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

There was a soft knock at the door and Mick walked in.

“So, what’s the emergency?” he asked, then noticed Beth on the sofa. “Beth, are you okay?”

She nodded silently but Mick could tell she was definitely not fine.

“Mick, can you show us your necklace?”

Mick’s hand went to his neck and he frowned when he didn’t find it. “I must have lost it. I still had it yesterday but I don’t remember taking it off when I went to my freezer this morning.”

Beth jumped up. “You were hurt last night, where have you been exactly?”

He winced at her accusatory tone. “Beth, what do you… ? I was at the harbor, observing an attorney who was meeting with a member of H.E.M….”

“Reginald Leesome.” Her voice was cold.

“How did you know? Listen, I had been shot and beaten unconscious. When I came to I was lying next to the body of Reginald Leesome but I didn‘t do it! I heard sirens and ran. Someone is trying to frame me for the murder.”

Josef nodded. “We will need more to go on than that. Tell me more. Who shot you?”

Mick rubbed his neck and took a sideways glance at Beth. “This is not an easy story to tell and it’s rather long. Let’s sit.”

They sat down on the sofa and Mick took an armchair. After a moment to collect himself he started: “The vampire who shot and framed me was Norm – Norman Caruthers. He was a former associate of mine and – something like a fledgling to me.”

Beth looked puzzled. “Norman Caruthers? The guy that works with Guillermo at the morgue from time to time? That Norman Caruthers?”

“That’s him.”

“I didn’t even know he was a vampire, he’s just one of my contacts. Are you saying that you turned him?”
Last edited by francis on Sat May 14, 2011 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kara
Fledgling

Re: Copycat (PG-13) chapter 5

Post by Kara »

Oh sheesh ladies. You left it there? Meanies. :giggle:

Beth did the right thing by going to Josef. Had she gone to Mick first, I don't think he'll be forthcoming with the truth. But OMG. It's the guy at the morgue. Beth's own contact. I'm just surprised & glad he hasn't done anything to Beth.

Good chapter. Thank you. :flowers:
MickLifeCrisis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by MickLifeCrisis »

Is Norm the morgue contact from BC? The one she was going to give an iPhone to?

Excellent scene between Beth and Josef. I could see that perfectly. I especially liked how Josef told her she would be protected, regardless.

I must say I am breathing a bit easier now that Mick is going to come clean and Beth knows the murderer isn't Mick. But I'm still on the edge of my seat waiting for the next chapter!

:thumbs:
MickLifeCrisis
Many thanks to Twilightdew for my banner and avi.
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by francis »

Yes, Norman is Beth's contact from B.C. but she didn't know he was a vampire, too. He probably knew exactly that she pocketed the chip, huh?
Thanks for so going with us on this story :heart:
maggatha3
Ancient

Post by maggatha3 »

I really wished she had gone straight to Mick with that information, but she is probably wiser...Now the three of them will get to the truth somehow. I cannot really tell if we are dealing with one vampire only though..it would be easy for Mick and Josef to find him and get rid of him.
-It never ends well...
-Never?
Gorgeous avatar by our talented Lilly .
Banner by the amazing friend Hot Micks!!! .
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Gah! :gasp: Poor Beth - how awful she must have felt to find that pendant in the dead guy's hand! That's just diabolical.

Hmm... I always disliked Norm on B.C., but I didn't know why... :chin: I'm really looking forward to Mick's story about him!
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

This can't possibly be good....Mick is going to have to tell about something he's obviously not proud or happy about....what's worse is that he knows Beth doubts him now...

If he's lost her trust, how is he ever going to get it back?
darkstarrising
Love – the universal language, the story of Moonlight
View My Fanfic Index

Thanks to the talented and generous Phoenix for my beautiful banner!
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

I confess, I'm still a little annoyed with Beth for thinking Mick could be responsible. She should know better - but, now that Josef's taking matters in hand, it seems like the truth is coming out.

I'm really enjoying this, ladies. :clapping:

Red

Click here for my story index

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" - Emily Dickinson
cassysj
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by cassysj »

Whew! Josef will get a handle on this although I'm with Red, Beth should know better although emotions and logic often don't go hand in hand
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

How true!
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix
nutmegger911
Cleaner

Post by nutmegger911 »

Hmmm, Beth seems to have made up her mind on this. It looks bad for Mick, but it would be nice to hear his side of the story.
francis wrote:Are you saying that you turned him?”
:confused2: Something like a fledgling is not a fledgling. Beth seems to be making a lot of assumptions here.
NM911
LIVE WIDE
It ain't canon until they've shot it (and aired it) - I said that.
Trust the Muse. - Catmoon
The system isn't broken, it's fixed. - Billo
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Between Mick, Beth and Josef this thorny problem will be talked through and hopefully clear up some of the misconceptions!

Thanks, Francis!
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Whew!

Beth is finally getting some answers and a clearer picture of what they are up against is emerging.

And Mick is getting out of the doghouse (a little).

Thank you!

Jenna

:hearts: :flowers: :hearts: :flowers:
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

I like that Beth trusts Josef. (Of course, they do have that massive secret about the paparazzi from Click...) Now that Josef is involved, he won't let the communication breakdown continue. He's going to get the facts if he has to dig them out. (Like Beth did with the silver bullets, eeew. :snicker: ) And I cannot wait to get the backstory about that rotten Norm. :madface:

Return to “Copycat”