Alex's Photo Shoot with Aussie GQ Style Magazine Cover!!!

Fleur de Lisa
100% Moonlightaholic
Location: I wish I may, I wish I might, have the gorgeous man on the right>

Re: Alex's Photo Shoot with Aussie GQ Style Magazine Cover!!

Post by Fleur de Lisa »

I finally had the chance to read the article and I loved it. Alex came off as frustrated,funny, self-deprecating, defensive, thoughtful, sensitive and aware. In summary: he's human.

Whether or not you like the interviewer, he sure got the goods. It was the most comprehensive and in depth Alex article I've read. I gave you a look inside the man. A man who cares deeply, gets pissed off, and doesn't take the Hollywood bs seriously. Again, he's human.

A few things that stood out for me:

The 'c' word....I hate it but I understand that in the Australian vernacular, it is a commonly used profanity. I am not going to judge him at all by him using it. Just bc I don't like it, doesn't mean others can't say it! There's probably words I say that Alex wouldn't like!

I adore the description of him as a 'live wire'. That gives me a little thrill for some reason.

The comment he made about George Clooney? OMG! Has he been listening to us?? That was very telling and made me happy bc that is what we wish for him--a Clooney type of career. Minus guest starring on The Facts of Life.

The 'string of disasters' comment? I took that as just a turn of phrase. Honestly, if you look at it objectively, it was a disaster that ML didn't get renewed. We certainly felt that way. 3 Rivers never getting off the ground, following the ML sadness? Yeah, that wasn't good, either. The only thing I parted ways with was the comment about BUP flopping. I wouldn't have categorized it as that. However, in the interviewer's mind, it was more about Alex toiling and how long it took for him to get the recognition/stardom he deserves. One 'disaster' after another, until he finally got his hit with H5-0. I would have used a less intense word, but again, not judging!

Quote that made my heart melt: "I'm a actually a really loving, attentive person.". Yeah, no surprise there.

There is so much to analyze and discuss in this article. Goes way beyond any 2 paragraph People magazine article!
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Fleur, I'm just gonna steal all your words, and say, "What Fleur said." :hearts:
Fleur de Lisa
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by Fleur de Lisa »

Another thing that I wondered about: it seems that a lot of times the 'hometown' press is much harder on their celebrities than foreign press. Also, I give this interviewer kudos for knowing his stuff about Alex and being able to dig some really provocative answers from him. Then again, Alex has always been really good at giving more than just the standard issue response to an interviewer's question.

In spite of his otherworldly looks, he is in fact a complex, complicated, lovely human.
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

That's so true. Even when he goes from interview to interview (say, when they're doing publicity days for a movie or whatever), he gives thought-out answers, and really puts a bit of himself into it, every time. Every time he's asked that same exact question. Over and over and over and over and over... to the point where he must honestly be considering shooting himself to put himself out of his misery. He gives real answers, even to fake questions. I've always loved him for that. And this time, the questions were deeper and more complicated, so the answers were simply amazing.
Fleur de Lisa
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by Fleur de Lisa »

I love him.
maggatha3
Ancient

Post by maggatha3 »

Thanks, fleur, your perspective eased my feelings. I may have exagerated it a bit here. I do like the interview too, but through your eyes I enjoyed it much more.
:hearts: Fleur..
-It never ends well...
-Never?
Gorgeous avatar by our talented Lilly .
Banner by the amazing friend Hot Micks!!! .
Fleur de Lisa
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by Fleur de Lisa »

maggatha3 wrote:Thanks, fleur, your perspective eased my feelings. I may have exagerated it a bit here. I do like the interview too, but through your eyes I enjoyed it much more.
:hearts: Fleur..

We all have our own perspectives, feelings and opinions and that is what's so cool. I end up seeing things through new eyes when I read other's thoughts, looking at things in a different way.

That's just who we are and what we do here!
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

allegrita wrote:He gives real answers, even to fake questions. I've always loved him for that. And this time, the questions were deeper and more complicated, so the answers were simply amazing.
:giggle: :yes:
So love you, Alle... :hearts:
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)
MoonMad
Fledgling

Post by MoonMad »

Just a few thoughts of my own.

I agree Fleur, that word slips very casually from the mouth for a lot of Aussies, which must astonish some of you. My husband says it with no more heat or nastiness than if he were calling someone a pain in the arse. But of course, not everyone does, and he doesn't use the term in casual conversation either, knowing it offends many people. It's strictly a 'between us blokes' kind of thing so if Alex thought about it at all, then I doubt he thought it would ever make it into the article. And I'm sure he never would have said it to a woman either. Not many magazines would print it, even here in Oz. That whole aside to the interviewer was never meant to be printed, and by including it, they have given us a wonderful little glimpse into Alex's (usually well hidden) insecurity. Like all of you, I think it was an amazing interview, despite the negative things said about his career.

Regarding that; Grace hit the nail on the head I think by remembering that Alex is a virtual unknown here because of his spectacular lack of success since moving away. He was just making his mark in Oyster Farmer and Mary Bryant when he upped stakes and moved to America. TBUP barely got any attention and his TV shows have failed here. There just isn't a nice way to say that, and I see nothing negative in the way the journalist has portrayed the facts as he sees them. It just is what it is. For Alex to have a profile here, he needs a hit on TV, and he simply hasn't had one. As for him mentioning that Alex was a plumber's apprentice while conveniently ignoring his training as an actor, well I think he was just trying to emphasise how far Alex had come. To him, the reason Alex is interesting is because this 'unknown' and unproven Aussie actor had scored the biggest part on American television this season.
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Grace, :smooch:

MoonMad, thank you so much for sharing the Aussie perspective with us. I don't think it's possible for anyone to understand a particular country's perspective without being there, and for more than just a visit. Things like mannerisms and attitudes differ so much from country to country, and you've helped us to understand a little better the thinking behind the interviewer's questions, as well as the way in which things were asked and answered in that article.

As a Moonlightaholic, it seems unimaginable to me that Alex's wouldn't be appreciated in his country, but your post has helped me understand that better. After all, he left Australia when he was just barely beginning to make a name for himself, and most of his US work has made very little impression in his home country. One could wish that people would give more notice to a native son, but hey--there are lots of Aussies in Hollywood, I guess, and many of 'em are much better known than Alex.

So far. :teeth: That's gonna change, I bet. :yes:
aolver
Rogue vampire

Post by aolver »

:2eyes: I don't want to rile anyone's feathers about the article and I do have a different take on it, which I will keep to myself. But I do have a query. All three of Alex's American TV shows, and his movie, have been different...really different types of shows. One genre, one serious medical, and one action ....then the rom-com. The Aussies haven't taken to his shows, even though they ARE all varied. So...what DO Aussies like? What is well received there? I wonder how Alex feels about his works not being loved in his home country. :chin:
Beautiful banner and avatar by Skylar
nutmegger911
Cleaner

Post by nutmegger911 »

Question: How do you break through an alpha-male’s façade?
Answer: Launch a confrontational challenge against something into which he’s put blood, sweat, and tears.

:2cents:
NM911
LIVE WIDE
It ain't canon until they've shot it (and aired it) - I said that.
Trust the Muse. - Catmoon
The system isn't broken, it's fixed. - Billo
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

aolver wrote::2eyes: I don't want to rile anyone's feathers about the article and I do have a different take on it, which I will keep to myself. But I do have a query. All three of Alex's American TV shows, and his movie, have been different...really different types of shows. One genre, one serious medical, and one action ....then the rom-com. The Aussies haven't taken to his shows, even though they ARE all varied. So...what DO Aussies like? What is well received there? I wonder how Alex feels about his works not being loved in his home country. :chin:
:giggle: I know, right? What DOES do well Down Under?
And maybe our beloved Aussies (well not our OWN Aussies, they all love Alex :wave: Hey Girls) just take Alex for granted?
I mean, they seem to have a surplus of handsome (tho not so handsome as Alex) and talented alpha males. That whole something's in the water theory again. :snicker:

But Alex's shows have only done marginally well here, so I don't think it's totally off that they haven't done well in Oz. Maybe with H50 and this magazine shoot, the folks back home will become more invested in him. :fingerscrossed:

And aolver, your opinion of the article is just as valid as any of ours. We're just having a discussion. I don't think anyone's feathers are riled. There's some truth in what everyone has said so far... and whatever shading with which we're each responding to the article, the bottom line for most of us is that we're delighted he got this spread and he looks good and sounds delightful. I'll just betcha you're on board that train as well, whatever else you think of the article. So we've all got something in common, right? :cloud9:
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)
maggatha3
Ancient

Post by maggatha3 »

Is there anyway we could know how many copies that specific issue has sold in total?
-It never ends well...
-Never?
Gorgeous avatar by our talented Lilly .
Banner by the amazing friend Hot Micks!!! .
r1015bill
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by r1015bill »

Whatever the outcome, I do think the interviewer was definitely getting under Alex's skin and that sort of irritates me. That kind of gets at the negativity that Maggatha was mentioning.

The exasperated "Look - how are you going to portray me" comment from Alex (not going to say Alex's word as I despise the word too.) The interviewer saying that Alex was defensive. Clearly something was going on in how they communicated with each other.

And while we view Alex as endearing and charming in whatever he does, I think the interviewer was more specific than he needed to be about exactly what Alex said. I'm not sure what someone who is new to Alex would think about him.

Return to “Pictures of Alex”