A Safe Place - PG-13

A place for PNWgal's G to PG-13 stories
MoonShadow
Logan's WoW nemesis

Re: A Safe Place - PG-13

Post by MoonShadow »

I remember reading this piece and being both impressed and touched. You did such a good job with this one! I am glad that I read it again.
Banner by Lilly

Be bloody, bold, and resolute; laugh to scorn
The power of man, for none of woman born
Shall harm Macbeth.

Macbeth, 4. 1
Luxe de Luxe
Sire

Post by Luxe de Luxe »

Jen, this fic is just so beautiful.... I can remember when I read it elsewhere that I was cross with you because it made me cry. this, for me, really gets to the essence of Mick, the loneliness and the aloneness and the stoicism and resignation with which he has accepted these as part of his life. Up til now. this piece is totally sigh worthy. a real gem. thankyou for writing it.
Banner by the talented Hot Micks
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

I may have to come back and comment several times on this. While I'm not a big fan of drunken revelations, the fact that human Mick was able to get past his angst...and make that pathetic phone call, to get Beth there, was touching. Very human of him, very lovable.

And his realization that without the vampirism, he would not have had Beth in his life--heartbreaking.

Lucky
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

PNW, I remember this wonderful story from long ago. Mick finally lets his vaunted self-control slip, opens himself to memory and grief, and finds the courage to call Beth. And Beth goes to him. I love the parallels between them--they are both miserable but too proud and afraid to be the first to reach out; both assume that the other is angry and would reject any attempt at reconciliation.

I love the things they say to each other silently at the end of the story. Those two always were better at saying the words inside their own heads... but now (after the hangover's done, ouch!) maybe they'll have a chance to say them out loud.

This is a lovely story, and it really expresses the yearning, love and caring that so characterize early Mick and Beth.

(Edited to fix a typo)
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

librarian_7 wrote:I cannot really add anything coherent to the encomiums this piece has already garnered, except to say that every word of praise is deserved, and more.

This brought tears to my eyes, and I could see every fleeting expression on his face.

Lucky

I'd LIKE to see every fleeting expression on his face... I wish they had given us something like THIS in FtP... and given them both THIS opportunity to apologize to one another... and Mick more opportunity to be human with Beth instead of with the politician and the politico's daughter and the illegal immigrant... Cause THIS is drama.
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)
lorig
Fledgling

Post by lorig »

:cheer: I was looking for this the other day, but I couldn't remember the name of it. :quill: It was so well written. :hankie: I cried rereading it. It was so beautiful. Well done.
Gorgeous banner by PinkiePie
Tag by Mags and coco
AggieVamp
Rogue vampire

Post by AggieVamp »

WOW.... :thud: That was wonderful.

Thank you - Karen
Banner by HotMicks

Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional - and I Opt NOT to Grow Up!
:petcat: :petcat:
darlingcat
Courtesan

Post by darlingcat »

What a great story!
I loved human Mick and wish we had more time with him.
I am embarrased to admit it but I had tears in my eyes when I read the way Beth regrets he horrible "How do you go on living?" How she broke his undead heart by that cruel question...
Mick mourning his last human friend, getting drunk, and reaching for Beth! How sweet and vulnerable!
Say that you will write more please! :rose:
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Wonderful story.

Posted on the day i I saw my first episode of Moonlight.

Just lovly!!!

Thanks!!

:flowers:
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix
mitzie
Courtesan

Post by mitzie »

This is on my list of "how the hell did I miss this one??!!" stories. This is so beautifully done, the stark emotion from Mick so anguished it tore through my heart!!!! The ending when Beth stayed with him so beautiful; I wish this story had been in the episode. Wonderful!!!! :hankie: :happysigh: :phew: :cloud9: :biggrin: :yahoo: :yahoo: :hyper2: :hyper2: :hyper2: :hyper2: :woohoo: :yahoo: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :thud: :thud: :thud: :thud: :notworthy: :heart: :flowers:

mitzie :mooncat:
jmc
Rogue vampire

Post by jmc »

I just read this and loved it so much from Mick's mom's wishes for her boy to your description of Mick's reaction to Beth's callous words. I remember hurting so much for Mick when I first saw that. I was always conscious that they were wasting precious time. I loved how you resolved it with Mick's inhibitions being lowered by all that alcohol so he could break through to Beth. And he makes such a sweetly muddled, but not maudlin, drunk.

:reading: Thank you so much for this lovely story.

. . . Love is strong as death . . . - Song of Solomon 8: 6
"fiercely faithful"

My beautiful MickBeth avatar by Twilightdew. My beautiful banner courtesy of the very talented Phoenix.
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

This is so stunningly lovely--on the reread even more lush detail comes thru. I really hope to find a sequel out there.

:hearts: :flowers: :hearts: :flowers: :hearts: :flowers: :hearts: :flowers: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :flowers:
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix
PNWgal
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by PNWgal »

jen and jmc...thank you for bringing this one to the light again. :ghug:

This is one went through a few re-writes and at least three betas before it finally worked enough to post. This is definitely one of my favorites.

Banner by the talented GuardianAngel

"It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." - George Eliot

"The dogs may bark, but the caravan passes on." - old Arab proverb

"Do the best you can do. Love many. Trust few." - Jack Ingram
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by francis »

I just needed to reread this today. When I have a bad day, this builds me up again. So good. So sad. Heartbreakingly wonderful. :hearts:
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

Oh, francis, thank you so much for bumping this up and prompting a re-read.

I've lost count of the number of times I've read this and it never fails to squeeze my poor little heart. So poignant and it never loses its power. A truly great story, PNWgal. :notworthy:

Red

Click here for my story index

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" - Emily Dickinson

Return to “PNWgal's Office”