redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Afterglow, part four (M/B/J, PG-13)

Post by redwinter101 »

Title: Afterglow
Author: redwinter101
Rating: PG-13
Disclaimer: I don't own Moonlight or any of its characters
Note: Just in case you missed my "shameless sentimentality" warning from earlier chapters, you will find that sentiment abounds here. And I make absolutely no apology for it. Because I'm a hopeless romantic.

*************************************************************************************************************

--- Afterglow ---

Previously:

There was no longer any thought in their act; instinct took over and drove them forward, nothing between them, no fear, no pain, only the moment. With a final, long, deep thrust, he came, she came, their cry as one.

Their bodies curled around each other, trembling, subsiding. Breath and sweat and love and the opposite of pain.

He rose, resting on his elbows, tracing the flush that rose on her neck, cupping her cheek.

Still joined, pulsing, she lost her battle for composure as he stroked her gently, uttering his benediction.

"Beth."

The pull of sleep was too strong and she slipped away from him. He held her close, his soft caress easing her across the threshold, waiting, listening for the slowing of her heartbeat, the deepening of her breath, the calming that told him she would be safe for a few hours.

He took a kiss and stole away to do what he needed, separate from her.

He stopped at the door, drawing his hand back, wary of breaking the invisible barrier that held them within that room, safe, separate, alone. He turned to collect a final glimpse before moving on, pulling the door almost-closed behind him. He could carry her constant beat with him.

He padded down to the kitchen, needing to feed, regretting every mouthful erasing her taste.

Through to the office, he cast an uncaring eye over the trappings of normality, work, clients, the everyday. He settled behind the desk, easing himself into the chair, weary bones and sinews protesting.

Josef sat in his own favourite chair, a prime spot to admire his expensive view. But this evening, he had other preoccupations, directing operations, checking everything, issuing orders. He had an army of staff who could have taken on the task of arranging Beth's new life, but this he had to do himself. His 'phone buzzed, announcing Mick's call and he answered with a sigh, wiping his hand from brow to jaw, resetting from fixer to friend.

"Mick."

"Josef."

Silence stretched out between them, an invisible protector, neither having any useful words. Eventually, Josef spoke, faltering, "Mick, I..."

"I know, Josef. I know."

Josef longed to offer comfort, but his easy patter was useless now. So he waited.

"Just tell me, Josef, tell me we're not missing something, some way..." Mick's voice trailed off.

"I could lie to you, Mick. But there's nothing. Not now. Not yet. We will fix this. It's just gonna take some time. I'm sorry. I'm so sorry." It was all he could say. "How's Beth?" He cursed his own stupidity as soon as the words were out. "I'm sorry. That's a really dumb question. I don't know what to say. I just wish...."

"We both wish..."

Mick wanted to be able to talk to Josef, to feel their connection, but the words wouldn't come.

"Everything... Everything's arranged for Beth. I've taken care of it myself."

"I knew I could count on you."

"I hope I've done the right thing, Mick - I haven't set her up with a new identity. She's going to need to be Beth Turner again when this is all over, so she should stay Beth Turner."

Mick smiled. At least Beth wouldn't lose her name.

"You did the right thing. I couldn't have done this... I..."

Josef sat forward, on the edge of his chair, straining to reach out, to find a way to soothe. "I'll collect Beth from your place tomorrow night and take her to the airport, if that's okay? I thought... I thought it might be best that way."

Mick bowed his head, elbows on knees, thinking about tomorrow, thinking about goodbye.

"She's booked on flight..."

"No! Josef, don't tell me. I don't want to know. I can't..."

"Of course. Stupid of me." Josef muttered something unintelligible; an ancient curse, Mick imagined.

"Josef." Mick's voice strained under the weight of his words. "You're going to make sure she's all right, aren't you? Because I won't be able to..."

"You don't have to worry. Not for a second, Mick. Not one hair on her head will be harmed. I give you my word." He could feel Mick's nodded gratitude. "Look, Mick, it isn't much but all of my resources are at your disposal for the next two days. Anything you want to do, anywhere you want to go, anything at all, just name it."

"There is something..." As Mick explained his plans, Josef slumped back, grinning like a fool and wiping bitter tears from his eyes.

"I'll take care of everything, Mick. It'll be, well, it'll be as perfect as it can be."

Mick set her coffee down on the nightstand and eased himself onto the bed. Beth's breathing quickened as sleep released its hold. She stirred, murmuring gently. Mick was transfixed, keeping his eyes on her as he slipped off his jeans and slid in beside her, not touching yet, waiting for her heat to take the edge off his freezer-chill.

"Mmmmm, Mick." She turned to him, sleep-filled eyes fluttering open, catching his breath, their morning routine unchanged. Until he saw the moment she remembered. She turned, frantically, searching for the clock, desperate to calculate the remaining hours.

"Where's the clock gone? What time is it? How long...?" Her voice was muffled as she hung over the edge of the bed, checking. "Where is it, Mick?"

"I've taken away all the clocks, hidden your watch and your 'phone and reset all the timers. It's Saturday," he peered around the tiny gap at the edge of the curtain, "it's morning and that's all we need to know."

"But..."

"But what, Beth? Time won't go any slower just because we keep staring at the clock." He pulled her back to him, coiling his arm around her waist. "I'm not going to destroy the time we have by counting every single second." He drew her closer, pushing her hair out of her eyes, a gentle smile playing on his lips. He kissed her, softly at first, then harder, searching. She responded, the pull of him making her forget, again. They settled, together, facing, stretching out to touch at every point, legs entwined, holding another precious moment.

"So, what do you want to do today? I've got something planned for this evening, but the rest of the day is all yours."

"Don't, Mick." She moved against him, caught between push and pull. "You make it sound like crossing things off a list."

"Would that be so terrible? We have today and tomorrow so let's use them. It's our time and there are some...things I've thought about..." His voice trailed off in a throaty laugh, tickling against her jaw. "Or we could always spend the whole weekend in bed."

She punched him on the shoulder. "I'm serious, Mick. How do we decide when there's so little time? It's not enough. It's.."

"Shhh. It's okay." Soothing strokes contained her struggles. "No matter how long, it would never be enough. So we just do the things we want. It's all we can do."

"But..."

"Please, Beth. Just tell me what you want."

She gripped his face with both hands, now fully awake, eyes shining. "I want it to be yesterday, Mick. I want none of this to be happening. I want to be here, with you, thinking about what we're going to do next week, next month, the rest of our lives together. I want... I want..." Sobs replaced words. All Mick could do was hold her and wait. "And I know that's what you want too, Mick. I'm sorry," she whispered. She took a deep breath of him, composing herself. "You said you had something planned for this evening."

"It's a secret." He kissed her again. "I hope you'll like it."

"Okay, so I get to choose for the rest of the day? And whatever I want, you'll do it?"

"Dangerous. But yes, whatever you want."

Mick watched the thoughts dance across her face, forming into order, her wish list.

"I want to walk on the beach at sunset. I want to hear you laugh. I want to know the answers to the thousand tiny questions that make up the mystery that is Mick St. John. I want to take a razor to that goddamned stubble. I want to tell you my dreams and I want you to tell me yours. I want to walk down the street holding hands with my man. I want to make love with you until the rest of the world disappears and I want to crawl inside you and never leave. How's that for starters?"

"That's my girl."

"Okay, now it's your turn."

"Ah but I'm the mysterious one, remember? I have my secrets and you'll just have to wait until this evening to find out. You can even tickle me to death, again, and I won't concede."

"One more thing I want." Suddenly, the lightness between them disappeared and all was serious once more. "I don't want to spend the next two days pretending everything's fine. Because it isn't. It's far from fine."

"I know. I know. I know." Mick murmured into her shivering skin. "We'll just do the best we can, okay?"

She stroked his jaw. "As long as I get to start with that stubble."

"Deal. You drink your coffee and I'll jump in the shower." He made to get up but she pulled him back, "Wait," dragging him under the covers, drawing them tight, holding him to her, shutting everything else out. "Just... In a minute. Just stay."

Mick stepped out of the shower, shaking his curls like a wet dog, to be confronted by Beth, clad only in a towel that wasn't quite long enough, her foot resting on a chair, straight razor in one hand, bristle brush in the other. Mick gulped, frozen, admiring. He licked his lips, watching her colour rise. A satisfied smile danced around her beautiful mouth and he forgot everything except her.

"Sit." She moved the chair with her foot, stretching her leg out towards him, striking a pose. Mick wrapped a towel around his waist and did precisely as he was told.

She placed the handle of the razor carefully between her teeth while she lathered the soap, gently smoothing it over Mick's jaw. Stepping back to admire her handiwork, she put the soap and brush down in the sink and took the razor in her hand with a flourish. "If you want to back out, the time is now." Mick was too focused on the curve at the top of her thigh to form a response, nodding his encouragement. "Good. Now we wouldn't want to drip soap on you, would we? She whipped off her towel, placed it across his chest and settled herself astride him, razor poised, one eyebrow raised. "Ready?"

"As usual, I am completely at your mercy," his voice earthy, his hands gripping her hips, pressing her to him.

The razor handle was slippery in her damp palm, her tongue poking out in concentration as she made her first stroke along the smooth plane of his cheek. Pleased to have made a successful start, she flexed her hips, feeling his groan, the tremble from beneath her. "Hey, you twitch, you bleed."

"Just as well I'm a fast healer," as he moved against her again.

She was enjoying herself now, the feeling of dominance, her confidence growing as she made quick work of the other cheek, tilting his head back and stroking swiftly down his neck. As she placed the razor carefully under his nose, she moved in, pressing her body against his chest, the moment when Mick's self-control finally deserted him and he lunged forward, a flash of red springing across his lip. Beth gasped, her hand raised to her mouth in a mixture of amusement and horror. "God I'm sorry, Mick."

"I'm not. The rest can wait."

Mick clasped her waist, pulling her in to him, a kiss that left her smeared in pink. A quick swish of the towel before that too found its way to the floor. She moved, raising herself over him, taking him inside her with a sigh, curling her knees around as he held her.

With a fierceness that thrilled her, he whispered, "I love you, Beth Turner."

The sun was just about to fall below the horizon when they arrived at the beach. Mick stepped out of the car, moving round to open Beth's door, his hand extended. "Once again, your wish is my command." His voice was roughened from talking. He had told Beth more about himself in the previous eight hours than in the preceding twenty-four years and it had taken its toll. They moved down to the beach, hand in hand and barefoot, to join the other revellers, all there for their own rituals. They were a part of the crowd but separate, lost in their own fleeting joy, as they ambled down to the water's edge.

Cheers rang out as the afterglow settled gently over the water. Families headed for home, swimmers made for the shore, lovers kissed.

As they headed along the waterline, Beth's grip tightened. "I have a confession." She chewed her lip, knowing what she wanted to say, worried it wouldn't come out right. "When we were here before, when you were..."

"Human. It's okay. You can say it." Mick squeezed her hand.

"When you were human, you seemed so happy, I couldn't help but wonder what it would have been like..." She stopped and turned to grasp both his hands.

"What it would have been like, if...?"

"If I met you now and you were Mick St. John, PI, born in 1970-something, just a regular guy. Not a vampire." She could feel the shutters closing, the protection, the preparation for pain. His eyes sought hers, pleading. "I thought that was what I wanted."

"And now?"

She placed a gentle hand on his shoulder. "It took me a while to realise that guy, my fantasy Mick, would just have been a cute guy with a nice ass." Her smile warmed him in the dusky chill. "I wouldn't have looked twice at him. Well, maybe twice, but no more. Because he's not you. Mick, look at me." She raised his head, bending her knees slightly to be sure to catch his eyes. "I don't love you in spite of the vampire. I don't love you because of the vampire either. I just love you."

She stroked his face in the gathering gloom, brushing away his tears. "Promise me, Mick. You have to promise me that you understand, that you won't doubt. That you'll trust me, trust us. When you get tired, when you're hurt, when you think crazy thoughts about me being better off without you, when you feel like giving up, remember this, remember that I'm nothing without you."

She pulled him into a tight embrace. "You're inside me, under my skin and I'll always be with you - everything else is just geography. Promise me, Mick."

Mick pulled her across the sand, to a semi-secluded spot, down, his hands impatient, bruising, a flash of silver eyes against the rising moon. He pulled at her clothes, desperation finally taking hold, tenderness replaced by need. He couldn't wait to be sure she was ready, desperately seeking purchase in the soft sand as he pushed into her, crying out softly against the quiet roar of the ocean, "I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I promise." She cradled him against her as he came, trembling, holding him safe, holding her vampire.

"I promise, Beth."

She stayed pressed against him all the way home, revelling in the simple feel of his arm around her, the cool breeze, the coast road, the perfect connection they had been seeking and found under the most unlikely circumstances. Arm in arm, her head tucked into his shoulder, they made their way up to the loft, Beth yawning, fighting exhaustion.

"I hope you're not going to quit on me. I've still got plans for the rest of the evening."

"I like the sound of that. How about you make me a coffee while I jump in the shower, wake myself up and wash some of this damn sand out of my hair?"

"I've got a better idea. You go take your shower and meet me on the roof in twenty minutes, okay?" He traced his fingers across her throat, along her shoulder, leaning in for a swift kiss.

"Mmm, my man of mystery swings back into action. But how will I know when my twenty minutes are up, as I no longer have my watch?"

"Nice try. Just give it your best shot.”

She raced up the stairs, took a perfunctory shower, the hot jets reviving her tired body. She pulled a dress, one of Mick's favourites, from the closet and set about trying to make herself look, and feel, presentable. Finally satisfied with the results, she took a final check in the mirror and headed up to the roof, her excitement building. She stepped out to be greeted by Mick, dressed in a fresh, dark shirt and pants, taking her breath, every glimpse like the first. He held out a glass of champagne. "Hey, gorgeous." He kissed her lightly and took her by the arm, guiding her around the corner to reveal his surprise.

The roof was garlanded with fairy lights and a sea of candles flickered in the evening breeze, surrounding a sumptuous spread. Soft blankets, silk cushions, a picnic laid out for her.

"Oh, Mick." Her glowing smile was all he could have wished for. "It's beautiful. How...?

"Josef."

"Of course. It looks wonderful."

"I hope you're hungry because it looks like there's enough food to feed an army."

"Well now that you mention it, I have worked up a bit of an appetite."

They settled themselves, ate, drank, toasted, joked, kissed. It was perfect, just as Mick had hoped.

"Today's been wonderful, Mick." She reached out to caress his cheek with tender strokes.

He turned into her touch, clasping her hand in his. "You were wrong earlier, Beth. About me losing faith in us while... while we're apart. I'm not that man any more and before we have to leave each other, I want you to know that you can trust me, you can count on me not to give up."

"You can count on me too, Mick." They kissed, soft, light.

Mick took a deep breath. "I love you, Beth. I will always love you. And that’s why I want to ask you, will you marry me?" And there he was, down on one knee, clasping her hand in his, holding out a small, velvet-lined box. "Marry me, Beth."

“Oh, Mick.” Her hand shook as she reached out to touch the box. Not a diamond, but two bands of gold. Her carefully set composure started to slip.

"If I can't see you every day, I want you to carry a piece of me around with you, wear this and think of me. Be my wife, Beth."

She peered around him, half expecting to see a minister, ready to perform the ceremony there and then. Mick laughed. “Josef can work fast but not that fast. Besides, we don't need a piece of paper to make it true. Take me, now, here."

She fell to him, crying, laughing, a hiccup of joy as she covered his face with kisses. She drew back, her eyes glowing, almost hiding her fear. "Yes, Mick. Yes, I will marry you. Here. Now. But...there's something you need to promise me first."

"Anything."

"I can't just go, not knowing when it will end, waiting, counting the days, going to work, whatever, wherever that's going to be, trying to pretend that everything's normal. I can't.”

Fear crashed through him. "You have to go. You have to, Beth. I can't protect you here. You..."

"I know, Mick. I mean that I can't just wait, not knowing when it'll be over. So, a year and a day from now, the precise moment, 12:01 April 7th, I'll be at the fountain. I'll wait for you there. You can come with our marriage licence in your hand, ready to make an honest woman of me. Because by then, either this mess will be fixed or it can't be fixed. And if it can't be fixed then we'll face it together, husband and wife. The worst they can do to us isn't as bad as being apart."

"Have you been watching 'An Affair to Remember' again?" He chuckled.

"I mean it, Mick. It's the only way I can get through this. Promise me you'll be there, or don't put that ring on my finger." Her chin rose in fearless challenge.

"I promise. I'll be there, Beth."

They stood, holding hands, drawn to a timeless, simple ritual, the commitment to forever.

"Beth, I will love you, I’ll take care of you and I’ll let you take care of me, because without you I’m nothing. I am yours forever." He slipped the slender band onto her finger, sealing it in place with a kiss.

She looked up to him, hoping the right words would come. "Mick, I love you, now and always. I will try to make you happy and we'll face the future, whatever it holds, together, even when we're apart." He smiled at the feel of the wedding band, familiar, but also a step into the unknown.

“So do I get to kiss the bride now?”

She gave him his answer. "Now, don't you have some threshold to carry me across?"

"But I have one more thing to cross off my list first, Mrs. St. John." Mick stripped, his body glowing in the soft candlelight, and pulled her to him, slipping her dress off her shoulders.

“Can’t people see us?” she whispered, only a little concerned.

“Let them look.”

Click here for my story index

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" - Emily Dickinson
mitzie
Courtesan

Re: Afterglow, part four (M/B/J, PG-13)

Post by mitzie »

This is such a gorgeous chapter! *sigh*

Off to read the next part.

mitzie
coco
Cleaner

Post by coco »

Mmmmm the shaving scene :P Perfect.
"I want to walk on the beach at sunset. I want to hear you laugh. I want to know the answers to the thousand tiny questions that make up the mystery that is Mick St. John. I want to take a razor to that goddamned stubble. I want to tell you my dreams and I want you to tell me yours. I want to walk down the street holding hands with my man. I want to make love with you until the rest of the world disappears and I want to crawl inside you and never leave. How's that for starters?"

"That's my girl."
*sigh*
coco's Fan Vids/coco's Graphic Art
Avi by TugaFanatic & banner by me. Thank you.

"Maybe it was her blood in my veins that let me feel her. The beating of her very living heart. Or maybe, we've always been connected." Mick & Beth - Moonlight

coco's YT channel
coco's Vimeo channel
100% Moonlight Tumblr
:twothumbs:
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

My continued thanks, ladies. I could write little love scenes for these two all day - they are such a beautiful couple and creating little moments of joy for them makes me very happy indeed. We didn't get nearly enough of those in our 16 episodes.

Red

bank1115
Fledgling

Post by bank1115 »

What a heartbreakingly lovely chapter. kays
Beautiful banner by Phoenix
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

I :heart: you, kays...

Red

Luxe de Luxe
Sire

Post by Luxe de Luxe »

.... sob!... this part is definitely a three hanky job... "... everything else is just geography." Loved that line... and the ministerless wedding... just classic weepie material. This was perfect Red.
Banner by the talented Hot Micks
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

Gotcha!!

You see this is what I meant about fluff. Pulling on those heartstrings...

Red

MSJ_sunglasses
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by MSJ_sunglasses »

Oh red, what can I say? I've read the first four parts of this beautiful story and well, to take a lesson from mitzie :sigh: :sigh: :happysigh: :cloud9: :cloud9: :bmoon: :bmoon: :hankie: :hankie: :clapping: :clapping: :heart: :heart: :reading: :reading: :reading: :hankie: :hankie:
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

:giggle: :giggle: :rose: :rose: :heart: :heart: :hearts: :hearts:

Thanks, MSJ_s.

Red

greenleaf9
Rogue vampire

Post by greenleaf9 »

just when I think your writing can't possibly get any better...it just does.

Wow...amazing, heart wrenching, beautiful don't even begin to cover the way I feel about this chapter. Just wow.

My eyes are all red from crying. :hankie:
Banner created by the lovely RedNightBird.

"...The moon's an arrant thief, and her pale fire fire she snatches from the sun..." ~William Shakespeare

Better Safe Than Staked.
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

*offers greenleaf a hankie*

The sob-fest continues...

Red

librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

Consider my heartstrings well and truly pulled. This was so sweet, and so beautiful.

Lucky (I'm a sucker for sentimental.)
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

librarian_7 wrote:(I'm a sucker for sentimental.)
:D

Oh me too!!! I am a hopeless romantic.

Red :heart:

fairytoes
Rogue vampire

Post by fairytoes »

:hankie: :hankie: ..... well, you did warn me..... :hankie: :hankie:
Wonderful Banner by Redwinter
Gorgeous Avi by Lilly