Cold (for Champagne Challenge #124) PG-13

A place for Librarian_7's G to PG-13 stories
jen
Cleaner

Re: Cold (for Champagne Challenge #124) PG-13

Post by jen »

Lucky

Hard to believe it was only three months and eleven days since I read this wonderful piece, but here I am again.

You are the unquestioned queen of freshie fic. In your hands, you have developed that facet of the Moonlight universe and in so doing highlighted both characteristics of human nature and vampire nature as well. I especially love the two paragraphs below as they bring the character of Josef Kostan into remarkably sharp focus:
Most of the time, he was drawn to the mortal flame, fascinated by the constant burning that powered the engine of humanity. He hovered around it, never part of it, but never far away. To the vampire community, he might pretend a grand disinterest in things mortal, but after four centuries, he knew better than to lie to himself. But now, as the torrent of her words flowed over him, Josef thought suddenly of his freezer. This warmth of emotions, of mortal life, was weighing on him, tiresome in all its noise and movement. Ah, to be cold, he thought. Cold was pure and quiet. Cold was a haven of peace.

In his younger days, he’d feared the oblivion that passed for vampire sleep. For a long time he hadn’t been fully convinced, each time he went down into the blackness, that he’d return with the setting of the sun. Now, though, he often welcomed the cessation of thought, desire, and thirst. The moments when he settled himself naked on the hard, frozen surface and pulled the lid closed, shutting out the world, were precious and sweet to him now.
You can make a short piece truly extraordinary.

Thank you.

Jenna

:hearts: :flowers: :hearts: :flowers:
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix
Marigold
Courtesan

Post by Marigold »

librarian_7 wrote:Most of the time, he was drawn to the mortal flame, fascinated by the constant burning that powered the engine of humanity.
Most of the time, sure. And for those other times, such as when dealing with a particularly tiresome, human situation, Josef has the cold to retreat to. I really hope Josef was able to spend some time in his freezer after leaving Diana's apartment.

His actions may have seemed "cold" to Diana, but Josef has experienced this situation time and time again. He knows what to expect, and frankly, he is tired of it. He also knows that it won't be very long before he has to go through this all over again...

Very well done, Lucky! Thank you! :rose:
Fantastic banner by Kath40! Thank you!
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

Ah, thank you, jen, and Marigold. It's lovely to see older pieces pop up...this is a slight one, but I do think it hits some pertinant points about the endless repetition of the vampire life.

Thank you for reading!

Lucky
cassysj
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by cassysj »

This is such a hard story. I feel for Diana but I feel for Josef too. You would have to build up a cold exterior or you could never survive. With Josef being so "young" it makes for a shorter shelf life. We didn't get to see too many "physically" older vamps on Moonlight. It makes me wonder if the younger you are the more likely the turning to take. It would be so much easier if turned in your forties or fifties for relocation if nothing else.

He was honest with her and when time passes I think she'll appreciate it.
MickLifeCrisis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by MickLifeCrisis »

Another great fic I somehow missed. :blushing:

Your insight into Josef always gets me thinking of things I never considered before. Of course Josef, at his age, would be well practiced in the art of letting go. It's almost like Josef is the actor - he has a role to play in every situation and slips in and of them as needed. But at the end of the day, he longs for the oblivion of his freezer, where he doesn't have to think, or feel or "act."

Well done! :thumbs:
MickLifeCrisis
Many thanks to Twilightdew for my banner and avi.

Return to “Librarian_7's Office”