Best Served Cold (Challenge #124) PG13

A place for GuardianAngel's G to PG-13 stories
GuardianAngel
Courtesan

Best Served Cold (Challenge #124) PG13

Post by GuardianAngel »

I'm posting this a little late. Seems to be my life theme lately. :roll:

My thanks to PNWgal who inspires me and keeps me from drowning in the mire. Love you, Babes.

I have a thing with closing circles and tying loose ends. Hope you enjoy.

Best Served Cold

Woken from his sleep but eyes closed, the old man gasped, a round of coughing robbing his breath. He lay back, wheezing. The pounding in his head relented until he could once again hear the murmur of the machine that had become his companion.

There was no other sound, no stirring of air yet an urgent need to open his eyes assaulted him.

In the chair next to his bed sat an impeccably dressed gentleman, legs crossed and hands folded in his lap. He wore a smile, but instead of comforting the wealthy old man, it made his blood run cold. It was the chilling smile of a predator. The frigid stare from milky blue eyes didn’t help, either.

John Whitley reared back, using what pitiable strength he had to pull himself into a sitting position. Once the shock had passed, his fear was succeeded by anger. A shaking, misshapen hand pointed at the visitor. “You’re Charles Fitzgerald. Monster! You should be dead.”

Elegant fingers picked at imaginary lint and flicked over a knee covered in light Italian wool. “No. I’m Josef Kostan now, you need to keep up. And I hate to split hairs, John, but I am dead. I’ve been dead for over 400 years.”

“I know what you are. A corrupter of innocence. A soulless monster.” Watery blue eyes narrowed in hatred and the deeply creased face reddened.

“All true.” The smile widened, baring fangs as the deceptively boyish vampire leaned forward. “But you know, I wondered. What would make a sweet, innocent girl like our Sarah so eager to accept a monster like me?” The auburn head tilted in question, relishing his adversary’s confusion. “Even her own mother was not totally opposed. Why do you think that is? Why do you think your wife never told you about me until it was too late?” The grin was sincere now, responding to the fear dawning in the face across from him.

“I have no idea.”

Josef leaned back, appearing to be settling in for a genial conversation. “No?” He gave his head a quick shake and raised his brows. “My guess, and mind you it’s just a guess,” the fund trader held up a hand as if to ward off any argument, “is that she knew that there were monsters out there worse than vampires.”

Whitley’s face turned a deep red and he sputtered with indignation. “Are you insinuating...”

“I don’t insinuate.”

“It was YOU who killed my daughter. Who stole her from her family...” His voice trailed off at the shaking of the vampire’s head.

“Wrong and wrong.. Your daughter isn’t dead. She isn’t even that far from here.”

“Wha...what do you mean?

“Your daughter wanted to be Turned. Very much.” The vampire’s head fell back and he let out a long, suffering sigh. “Her only concern was leaving her mother.” He threw the old man a pointed look. “But she wanted to be with me. Forever. And I wanted her...” Josef paused to allow his audience a couple pulls of oxygen from the mask he’d abruptly jerked to his face. “But there was a ….glitch.” A quick swallow.

The pulls of oxygen became harder, gnarled fingers clutched at the bedding.

“She became trapped in between. She didn’t wake up.”

Distressing beeps emitted from the medical apparatus between them. Without his enhanced hearing, Josef would have missed the word ‘dead’ hissed from beneath the breathing mask. He shook his head.

“No. Not dead. Just trapped. She didn’t waken, but neither does she age. She’s been that way for the last 50 years in a house only a few miles away.” Steepling his fingers, Josef bounced them lightly against his lips. “I think I might have finally found a way to waken her.” He shrugged. “Whether she revives vampire or human, you’ve lost her.”

The old man’s head shook, his eyes wide with horror. His monitors were now an orchestra of warning. Fingers grasped at his chest.

Josef straightened himself from the chair and, with undue care, buttoned his suit jacket.

“She’s mine and I protect what’s mine.” He slid by the bed, ignoring the body writhing in agony and hardly paused at the low growl, an old man’s dying wish.

“I hope you burn in hell!”

“I’m betting on it.” Stretching up his chin to adjust his collar and pulling at his cuffs, Josef headed towards the door.

Bleeps and bells morphed into a single flat buzz.

“I’ll see you there.”
Last edited by GuardianAngel on Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Re: Best Served Cold (Challenge #124) PG13

Post by allegrita »

Eeeeee... what a way for Whitley to go! :eek2:
PNWgal
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by PNWgal »

Right back at ya, GA. :smooch:

I really liked this - a fitting end to John Whitley and one that I could completely see happening. Josef's unapologetic and brutally honest about his ultimate end.
GuardianAngel wrote:“My guess, and mind you it’s just a guess,” the stock broker held up a hand as if to ward off any argument, “is that she knew that there were monsters out there worse than vampires.”
Truer words.

:heart:

Banner by the talented GuardianAngel

"It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." - George Eliot

"The dogs may bark, but the caravan passes on." - old Arab proverb

"Do the best you can do. Love many. Trust few." - Jack Ingram
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by francis »

Only Josef could kill a man just by telling him the truth. This was fantastic! Awesome revenge! :notworthy:
MickLifeCrisis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by MickLifeCrisis »

Wow, G*A - very good! :thumbs: I could picture all of Josef's movements exactly as if I were in the room. But this side of Josef kind of gives me the shivers. :chair:

Thanks for posting!
MickLifeCrisis
Many thanks to Twilightdew for my banner and avi.
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

GuardianAngel

This is fabulous!

You have Josef's voice down perfectly. The elegant snark, the unconcerned frankness, as he delivers the words he knows will be so hard for John Whitley to hear without a trace of pity or rancor.

True, John Whitley did not merit any consideration.

How ironic that such a simple truth so thoroughly collapsed his fantasy.

Wonderful...

...but then, your stories always are.

Thank you!

Jenna

:hearts: :flowers: :hearts: :flowers:
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

Let us just say that I never have had, and never will have, any intention to cross Josef in any way, shape, or form. :biggrin:
Fun read.
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Totally agree, Grace!

Well said.

Doesn't crossing Josef pretty much equal insanity or a one way trip to the tarpits?

Definitely not a good idea...

Jenna
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix
cassysj
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by cassysj »

Amazing. My favorite part is when he said "monsters out there worse than vampires." I could definitely see and hear Josef. Well done!
Luxe de Luxe
Sire

Post by Luxe de Luxe »

ooh, fantastic, GA. Gave me creepy goose bumps all over. Love your deep, dark speculation about Whitley, too. There is something underneath the drive to associate with vamps for sure.
Banner by the talented Hot Micks
janicevictoria
Fledgling

Post by janicevictoria »

GA, excellent character study on the both of them; Josef was in fine form as usual! :devil:

Thanks to Pinkiepie for my lovely banner
Moonlighter
Rogue vampire
Location: Found my nice soft place, snuggled up next to Mick in th-this fr-fr-frigid fr-fr-freezer...

Post by Moonlighter »

Whoa! How ironic that Josef telling Whitley the truth about Sarah is what did him in! And you captured Josef's mannerisms and cold conversational tone so well.

Excellent, GA, just excellent!
:hearts:
Banner courtesy of the wonderfully talented, Moderator Most Awesome, soon-to-be-missed Phoenix!
maggatha3
Ancient

Post by maggatha3 »

GuardianAngel wrote: “My guess, and mind you it’s just a guess,” the fund trader held up a hand as if to ward off any argument, “is that she knew that there were monsters out there worse than vampires.”

Great story! Seems that Josef has had practise using that line!! :teeth:

:flowers:
-It never ends well...
-Never?
Gorgeous avatar by our talented Lilly .
Banner by the amazing friend Hot Micks!!! .
Marigold
Courtesan

Post by Marigold »

Nicely done, GA! :rose: Good riddance to Whitley. I am very hopeful that Josef has indeed found a way to wake Sarah. :fingerscrossed:

Thank you! :hearts:
Fantastic banner by Kath40! Thank you!
BlueEyedMonster
Fledgling

Post by BlueEyedMonster »

Perfect in every way :flowers:

Return to “GuardianAngel's Office”