Looking into the New Year with Trevor Munson - a little chat

Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Looking into the New Year with Trevor Munson - a little chat

Post by Lilly »

With 2010 coming to an end and a brand new year right around the corner, I thought it might be fun to touch base with Trevor Munson.

As I was telling him about MLA and describing our little community here, I told him that "we celebrate the past, but look toward the future." As we're now looking forward to 2011, he graciously agreed to answer a few questions for us...

(My questions are in black and his answers are in blue.)

Hey, Trevor, Happy New Year -- and thanks so much for doing this.

This has been a pretty good year for you, with "Angel of Vengeance" finally being published and due out in February, and a new television project in development with Sony... hopefully, it's just the beginning with more good things to follow in 2011.

You've increased your public exposure a bit, with more of a presence on Twitter and Facebook. Has this helped you get the word out about "Angel of Vengeance"? Is there any other sort of social media publicity in the works -- perhaps, for example, advertising with a slick promotional video on YouTube as we're starting to see for some novels?

Yes, I've been trying to get the word out about the novel myself. Still waiting to hear what the publisher is planning in terms of publicity, but thought I'd get a jump on it. The Youtube video is a good idea. I hadn't heard about those. I'll have to do a search and see if I can find any to see what you're talking about.

Is there anything your Moonlight fans can do to help? I mean, besides each buying a dozen copies? ;)

As for what "Moonlight" fans can do (aside from buying twelve copies a piece as you said :)) it would be incredibly helpful if everyone would help spread the word however possible. Retweeting the title of the book to their followers on Twitter, and embedding the Amazon link or the Barnes and Noble link on their Facebook pages will be very helpful in helping to raise awareness. I can also use help by having people get friends and family do the same, as well as go to the Amazon and Barnes and Noble links and click the "like" buttons on those pages. Basically, anything that spreads the word to the uninitiated outside the general "Moonlight" fandom and raise awareness about the book will be a huge help.

Can you tell us where things stand with the new television project? I know you and Scott were tossing some names around -- has anything stuck? Do you have a script done or is that still in the works?

As for the new project, seems like most people like 'insight' best. But we're still tossing ideas around. If nothing else comes along that we like better, and if the studio agrees, we'll probably go with that.

We handed a draft in just before the holidays, and will probably be getting notes on it after the first of the year. At this point those who have read it seem to think it's in pretty good shape, but we'll know more after the big notes call. If the studio agrees, we'll start looking for a network... if they don't, we'll start re-writing like crazy...

I remember you once mentioning that you had a young Mickey Rourke in mind when you were writing about Mick Angel. Did you have any actors in mind as you were developing the main characters of this new show? And if so, does that make it harder in the long run to find the right match? When it goes to pilot, will you have any input in the casting process?

As a writer I rarely write anything for a specific actor. If you do, and write in their particular cadence, then you're hamstrung when you inevitably cannot get them to star in your project. However, I sometimes like to think of a "type" and then write with that in mind. For example, rather than think of George Clooney, I'll imagine Danny Ocean and the character traits that make him so smooth and cool in order to inform my character. It's just something to hold onto while you write that is sometimes helpful. That said, Scott and I didn't really imagine any specific actors or characters for this project. We have a tough, take-charge late twenties woman and a fifteen year-old boy as our leads, so finding the right actors to bring them to life will be very important. However, we have discussed that we like Katie Sackoff from Battlestar Galactica as a template for the female lead.

If we get to make a pilot as executive producer I will be heavily involved in casting, as will Scott, the showrunner, whoever he or she may be, the director, and our producer at Original Content... Once we make some choices, we take them to the studio and if they agree we move on to the network. Pretty much everyone gets to weigh in... Which is why casting can be such a long and difficult process sometimes.

Aside from your writing, do you have any New Year's resolutions? Is there anything new -- maybe something you've never done before, or have always wanted to do -- that you'd like to try this coming year?

As for New Years resolutions- aside from hiking more and eating better, I haven't really made any. I would love to get away and travel to some new countries this year if schedule and finances allow. But at the moment, that doesn't look to be in the cards. If the pilot gets picked up, I'll have the money, but not the time. And if it doesn't, I'll have the time and not the money. Ain't that always the way it goes...?

Sad but true. Thanks a bunch for taking the time to chat -- and Happy New Year! And please keep us posted with any new developments!

Thanks for the questions. Let me know if you have any more. All best in the New Year!
Hugs, Trevor.

As a follow-up, I sent Trevor a couple of links to YouTube book promos and he said he's going to check them out. If anyone has any, please post them and I'll forward them to him.

Also, he is still very much open to suggestions for a show title. If you have any sudden inspirations, feel free to post them here or on his FB page.

(After the holidays are over, I'll be moving this into the writers' forum so that it doesn't get archived.)
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
Avatar from "Matasaburo of the Wind" © 2009 Alex Gross, used with the permission of the artist
SharonC
Logan's WoW nemesis

Re: Looking into the New Year with Trevor Munson - a little

Post by SharonC »

A short but satisfying interview. Thank you Lily and we sure will drop 'Angel Of Vengeance' into conversations right, left and centre. It's going to be a huge hit. I can't wait to get my copy in 2011.

It sounds like Trevor is definitely focused on the coming year and I hope all his plans come off.

Thank you again sweetie
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Lilly, this is Just. Awesome. :yahoo: Thank you so much for getting in touch with Trevor, and sharing your conversation with all of us. And thank you so much to Trevor for his thoughtful and interesting responses. I can't wait to see what happens with his new show, and I've already got a few copies of AoV pre-ordered. I will definitely do the things Trevor asked Moonlight fans to do to spread the word, too. :hearts:
PNWgal
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by PNWgal »

VERY awesome, Lilly! :hug:

I've already got my copy of AoV reserved and can't wait to read the whole thing!

As a lowly fanfic writer who's extremely attached to her OC's, I wonder what it was like for Trevor to hand over Mick Angel and see him transformed into Mick St. John. Was he pleased? Disappointed? Horrified? :ysmile:

Banner by the talented GuardianAngel

"It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." - George Eliot

"The dogs may bark, but the caravan passes on." - old Arab proverb

"Do the best you can do. Love many. Trust few." - Jack Ingram
HotMicks
Ancient

Post by HotMicks »

Oooh, cool. Thanks for reaching out, Lilly! And you just reminded to go add the pre-order back into my shopping cart. I had taken it out a few months ago because ding-dong Amazon was going to hold up on shipping something else I bought until Trevor's book was released! I'm really looking forward to getting "the rest of the story." I read the chapters he had up on myspace, and - while it's certainly not the ML of the TV show - it was really good. Much more Chandler-ish in tone and voice than the show was. Is it February yet? :drums:

ETA: Nice pic, too. Is that for the back cover? Love the hoodie with the suit. Is that business casual, or is he just cold 'cause we're having an unusually cold winter here in CA? :laugh:
~ Hot Mick's Mistress of Chill
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

Thanks, Lilly for the wonderful 'chat' with Trevor. He sounds so down to earth and I hope the new year brings him success both with AoV and a new series.
darkstarrising
Love – the universal language, the story of Moonlight
View My Fanfic Index

Thanks to the talented and generous Phoenix for my beautiful banner!
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by Lilly »

HotMicks, I believe this is the picture they're going with for the back cover, although Trevor said it the publisher may opt for a color version of this one...

I really like pose of the other one, but do I like the effect of the black and white for the book -- I think it fits the tone better.
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
Avatar from "Matasaburo of the Wind" © 2009 Alex Gross, used with the permission of the artist
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

ITA Lilly, his pose in the color photo is more favorable, but the B&W is what most publishers go with
darkstarrising
Love – the universal language, the story of Moonlight
View My Fanfic Index

Thanks to the talented and generous Phoenix for my beautiful banner!
HotMicks
Ancient

Post by HotMicks »

I too vote for the color pose. Much cooler! (but the b/w is nice too!) Maybe a b/w version of the color pic in your first post (rather than a color version of the b/w pic in your last post)?? :chin: :laugh: Now that I've thoroughly confused things... :dizzy:
~ Hot Mick's Mistress of Chill
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by Lilly »

:snicker: I'm not confused -- I completely agree! :twothumbs:
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
moonlight_vixen
Courtesan

Post by moonlight_vixen »

Thanks for posting this Lilly!
Banner And Avatar By Me
______________________________________________________________________________________
Proud Josef Exclusive+
Proud Co-Founder Of Maroon-A-Holics
THINK KOSTAN!
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by Lilly »

Just moving this to the Writers' forum. :thumbs:
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by francis »

Lilly, this is a great interview. Thank you for getting in touch with him and for asking these awesome questions!

Return to “Trevor Munson - Moonlight's Creator”