We Count the Cost (In Between 9 and 10, PG13)

francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Re: We Count the Cost (In Between 9 and 10, PG13)

Post by francis »

I almost missed this because I was on vacation.

It's so wonderful how you fill in the blanks, add new scenes and even a whole backstory about Tyler and Elaine, and get a story that makes sense in every little detail. I never thought Coraline could have planned this, to make Beth into a monster and herself into a victim, but it could be. I never thought Mick could have gone to the party house too, or that Beth got the adress from Josef, but of course she would. I have the suspicion that Tyler's sire was Coraline, too, and that this is why she rescued Mick and dealt with the murderers. And how you manage to write another shower scene that makes me see the one in the show in a new light - wonderful!
And through all of this the relationship of Mick and Beth goes on with more strength and determination, despite all that happened, and leads on to the companionship we see when they deal with Josef's case in the next episode.
I love it.
Shadow
Courtesan

Post by Shadow »

francis wrote:I almost missed this because I was on vacation.

It's so wonderful how you fill in the blanks, add new scenes and even a whole backstory about Tyler and Elaine, and get a story that makes sense in every little detail. I never thought Coraline could have planned this, to make Beth into a monster and herself into a victim, but it could be. I never thought Mick could have gone to the party house too, or that Beth got the adress from Josef, but of course she would. I have the suspicion that Tyler's sire was Coraline, too, and that this is why she rescued Mick and dealt with the murderers. And how you manage to write another shower scene that makes me see the one in the show in a new light - wonderful!
And through all of this the relationship of Mick and Beth goes on with more strength and determination, despite all that happened, and leads on to the companionship we see when they deal with Josef's case in the next episode.
I love it.

Francis, I'm really glad you found this when you got back!

It's fantastic that you're still finding all of it to make sense, the backstory included -- especially in this one. (I think that this story has more outright speculation in it than most of the other In Betweens, as the questions left hanging didn't have very obvious answers.) It's so great that the flashback shower scene could make you see the one in the episode differently, too. And Tyler's sire ... can't say yet, but the topic will probably come up later on .... ;)

Thanks so much for the wonderful comment.
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Rereading this beautiful story... and sighing a little for Mick and Beth, and Elaine, and even Coraline...
Shadow
Courtesan

Post by Shadow »

allegrita wrote:Rereading this beautiful story... and sighing a little for Mick and Beth, and Elaine, and even Coraline...
Thanks Alle, I'm so glad you came back by. :happysigh:
maggatha3
Ancient

Post by maggatha3 »

Ok, here it goes, episode 9 was not one of my favorites, not that I haven't watched it a million times, though. But there was too much frenzy and speed and craziness in everything that happened, the arrogant millionaire, the cheating wife/son couple, Coraline all over Mick during the stake out. And , then that shower scene, oh, my god, so not what I had wanted him to do.

I really liked it though that the In Between was right in that frenzy , too. Lots of thoughts
in Mick's mind, trying to put things in order, memories of his ex and of Tyler, hopes of the cure, it is all in there, yet it is so much more understandable that way. Also, thoughts I had made myself when watching the episodes for the second time. ( Have I told you that the series was aired here one and only time and for 16 days, one after the other at 01:30 every night? I could not really digest it when I first watched it, I was just so captured and infatuated with it...)

It seemed to be so crystal clear to me..She had been stalking him and Beth all the way, Knew he was in love for the first time in decades after her, and just wanted him back. It all seemed to be a well -wooven plan , Coraline knows how to manipulate things, people and mostly Mick. And he is still so crazy when she is around, but I hoped this time , Beth in his life , he would take better care than destroy it all.

The way Coraline walked down the stairs, showing off to Beth.. I would have grabbed the stake myself and finish the job! She knew she had it coming, and waited for it. You know, I really appreciated that you almost included the important parts of ep.9 in this in- between, it was really great to see thinks explain themselves through the lines.. Also, Mick's thoughts of Coraline and Beth were so greatly described here, though you made him seem a bit indifferent of Beth ( she was not hurt as a kid by Cora, because she had no wounds?).

And talk about Elaine's timing. Good girl, straightforward and sharp mind, thank god she opened his eyes, for he was blind and now could see. And she did give her sire two things to move on : Beth's feelings when kidnapped, and also Beth's feelings of love for him now. ( Why was he taken aback, really?) That woman had reasons for pulling up that stake. I really do not know what it would have taken for him to see Beth's point of view in this case, and actually they seemed pretty well together in the next episode trying to find Josef, and it did not seem quite explained in the episode. (She dumped Josh, they left - almost happily- for NY, and he did not seem so eager to get back to the hospital to check on Coraline ). Well, now we know!!

This was actually one of my favourite In betweens so far- you were so into my mind -, but then I may choose my most favourite when all of them are done. :rose:
Don't know how you do it, off for the next episode and anxious for your next I-B
:thud: My Sire

p.s. Your video ''Deceiver'' also worked perfectly along with ep.9 and this InBetween. :thumbs:
-It never ends well...
-Never?
Gorgeous avatar by our talented Lilly .
Banner by the amazing friend Hot Micks!!! .
Shadow
Courtesan

Post by Shadow »

hi Maggatha! Well, I have internet access, sort of . . . standing room only here at the conference "cyber cafe" . . . but it's so nice to be able to check in on MLA and read your great comment!

I didn't know that you had seen Moonlight for the first time as a sixteen day miniseries!! Wow, how different that must have been from watching it the first time from September to May, with an eternally long gap after ep 12 wondering if it would come back at all . . .

Ep. 9 was such an odd one as to the characters and the way Coraline's presence changed them . . . to me it seemed that Beth was not herself all the way through, and the more time Mick spent with Coraline the more he fell under her spell. It was so interesting that you pointed this out . . .
maggatha3 wrote:Mick's thoughts of Coraline and Beth were so greatly described here, though you made him seem a bit indifferent of Beth ( she was not hurt as a kid by Cora, because she had no wounds?).
I found it curious that Mick was so completely unprepared for what Beth did to Coraline, so shocked by it -- it did seem almost as if he didn't realize how bad things had been for her as a child, how much rage she had built up. He seemed so under Coraline's influence at that moment too, excusing the things she'd done as "not that bad." I think he really did know better, but at that moment he wasn't thinking any too clearly, which is why in this story he was so dense at that moment . . . ;)
maggatha3 wrote:And talk about Elaine's timing. Good girl, straightforward and sharp mind, thank god she opened his eyes, for he was blind and now could see.
Ohh, I do like the way you put that -- and it seemed he did have to shake off that blindness somehow in order to get to where he was in ep 10!

Well, must run now . . . thank you for giving me such a great little break in my day!
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

This is such an important part of the story - not because of where it starts and where it ends but because in the journey we see Mick and Beth, separately and together (with a little help from Elaine :cloud9: ) start to make sense of what they feel, what's happened to them and what it means for their future.

I really have run out of superlatives - so I'll just say that I cannot thank you enough for writing this amazing story and sharing it with us. :notworthy: :notworthy:

Red

Click here for my story index

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" - Emily Dickinson
Shadow
Courtesan

Post by Shadow »

:happysigh: Thanks Red . . . and have I mentioned lately how great it is that you've been re-reading the whole thing? :happysigh:
Marigold
Courtesan

Post by Marigold »

This was excellent as always, Shadow! :rose: :notworthy:

Poor Mick! :dizzy: Things were really coming at him from all sides in this chapter.

I loved the flashback. You did a wonderful job of showing how Mick and Coraline continued in their on-again, off-again relationship. For example,
But she followed me because she loved me. She saved my life today.
and
How had he ever stayed away from her for so long? How?
I'm very sad to hear that Tyler was murdered :Mickangel: , but I'm interested in finding out who his sire was. I have a suspicion. :whistle:
There really is a cure. Something that could save me. Maybe something that could save Elaine.
It was so nice that Mick thought not only of himself, but of Elaine. :happysigh: Unfortunately, it won't give her her life back, or bring back Chloe, or save Kevin. :bmoon:

I loved when Elaine told Mick about her conversation with Beth. Elaine really is a voice of reason, and she helped Mick to see what he had been missing. She gave him wonderful advice.
In my eyes, Coraline became the victim, and Beth became the monster. Was that Coraline’s plan? To drive me away from Beth, and back into her arms?
Coraline really is a master manipulator, isn't she?

Mick must have been under the effect of the 'Coraline drug.' He hadn't even considered how greatly Beth had been affected by the kidnapping. Once he realized this (with Elaine's help), he understood where Beth was coming from. Mick knows first-hand just how "crazy" Coraline can make a person.

Thank you, Shadow! I've really been enjoying this series. :hug: :heart:
Fantastic banner by Kath40! Thank you!
Shadow
Courtesan

Post by Shadow »

Hi Marigold! I'm really glad you liked this one - it was one of the most difficult ones to put together.

I'm especially pleased you liked the flashback! I was always disappointed that we never got to see any of those thirty-odd years that Mick and Coraline were on-and-off, to get a real feel for what that was like. The closest the show came was Josef's description of it. So since those years were a huge part of Mick's life, I really wanted to put in something about their relationship during that time. And of course that also let me put in a little more information about Tyler! ;) There will definitely be more coming up later about his sire . . .
Marigold wrote: Coraline really is a master manipulator, isn't she?
Even if Mick's whole theory is wrong, she's still a master manipulator in that she can make him think that! I was pretty fascinated with the effect Coraline had on Mick throughout eps 7 and 9. You could almost see him falling under her spell - whether as Morgan or Coraline, she knew exactly how to influence him.

It's so great too that you liked Elaine's contribution here. It seemed like something like that must have happened between the episodes, because Mick's good sense seemed to be back for the next one.

Thanks so much, Marigold, and it's been so wonderful to get your comments!

Return to “In Between”