A Better Man - PG-13 (Champagne Challenge #116)

A place for PNWgal's G to PG-13 stories
AussieJo
Logan's WoW nemesis

Re: A Better Man - PG-13 (Champagne Challenge #116)

Post by AussieJo »

Yeah, Ok! :smooch: :snicker:
MoonlitRose
Fledgling

Post by MoonlitRose »

Very Josef. Very Mick. :comfort2:

... and, ... Very, very, very good! :twothumbs: :clapping:

Thank You, PNWgal!
-MoonlitRose
To view additional Graphic Art by MoonlitRose.
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Pgal, this is really, really wonderful. I agree that it would have been great to see this onscreen, but the way you've "painted" it in words gives me almost the same thing. Your description of Josef's angry first response is vivid, and I could see Mick's subtle sniff in my mind as he came to realize all the feelings beneath that anger.

Mick's memory of the moment when he realized he could no longer bite freshies works perfectly for me. And I like the fact that it took him a while to figure out how to achieve his goal. He didn't have all the resources at his fingertips right away--he had to work it out, but he did. And when he was ready, he took his courage in his hands and told his mentor/father/friend the hard news.

I agree with DSR--this is in many ways a depiction of a young man's respectful departure from the ways of his father, and of a father's grudging respect and acceptance of his son's right to take a separate path. It's not an easy transition, but it's extremely important. And in this scene, Mick becomes his own man, for the first time. He's got a goal now. He's not going to copy anybody--he's going to make his own way, on his own terms. Never forgetting what he's been given, but not asking for any more handouts, either. I love this scene... it gives me a lump in my throat to think of Mick achieving this level of maturity, through so much pain. And also to think that this is the true beginning of Mick's and Josef's friendship. At last, Mick and Josef can see each other on more equal terms.

What a beautiful, important story! Thank you!
fairytoes
Rogue vampire

Post by fairytoes »

Wow, what a terrific one-shot! I actually could "see" this playing out. Great story PNWgal, thank you. :flowers:
Wonderful Banner by Redwinter
Gorgeous Avi by Lilly
Thank you!
PNWgal
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by PNWgal »

Thanks, MLC - I'm so glad this worked for you! :flowers: I think Josef, not being used to being defied, would have had a definite problem with Mick doing so.

I agree, francis - Mick's life DID take a turn after Beth, but having to tell Josef had to have been nerve-wracking for him. Thank you! :rose:

Grace! :hug: Thank you so much - I completely agree with your post. Josef wouldn't understand, because he's become comfortable in his own skin...perhaps he always was. But...he still loves Mick enough to let him make his own way.
Your title, and even more so his statement about being a better vamp AND a better man, really is an amazing summation of Mick's entire period from the fire to the fountain. He'll start a new phase after the fountain, but you've summed up THIS phase to a T.
This makes me :cloud9: .

Thanks, Albra and crazy fluffy! :rose:

Interesting point, Jo...it never really occurred to me until I started writing that drinking bagged blood exclusively would be a detriment. (and a :giggle: at Grace...)

Thanks, jen - and I agree. :flowers: It's hard to tell a friend something that might be construed as a criticism of them, and even more so for Mick - Josef's given him a foundation and he's walking away from a part of that.

DSR, I LOVE your post! :hug: I love the analogy of a son having to make his own way and breaking away from the father's way of doing things. As hurt and angry as Josef might be, I think there's a pride there that his surrogate fledgling has developed a spine and is willing to stand up to the elder for his convictions. But Josef would never understand Mick's attachment to this tiny human child.

MoonlitRose, I'm glad this rang true for you. Thanks for reading!

Alle, thank you. :hug: I think Mick floundered, even after Josef took him in hand. Coraline's way of being vampire was completely against everything Mick held dear...yet Josef's way REALLY didn't work for him, either. With Coraline, he was a square peg in a round hole. With Josef, the edges were sanded off, but he still didn't really "fit". And I agree with you that the two can finally meet on equal footing, an important step for Mick - and one I think Josef knew would come someday.

Thanks, fairytoes...I'm happy you enjoyed it! :rose:

Banner by the talented GuardianAngel

"It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." - George Eliot

"The dogs may bark, but the caravan passes on." - old Arab proverb

"Do the best you can do. Love many. Trust few." - Jack Ingram
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Wonderful. Just wonderful.

This puts into words very nicely what lay just beneath the surface of Moonlight canon--hinted at but never spelled out.

Thank you for spelling it out so splendidly!
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix

Return to “PNWgal's Office”