Knowledge is power (PG-13) - challenge #116 (part 3 of 3)

redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Knowledge is power (PG-13) - challenge #116 (part 3 of 3)

Post by redwinter101 »

Title: Knowledge is power
Author: redwinter101
Rating: PG-13 (strong language)
Disclaimer: I don't own Moonlight or any of its characters
Note: written for Champagne Challenge #116 - "Between the fire and the fountain". This takes place in 1985, shortly after Coraline's "death" and therefore follows on from Rubicon (but you don't need to have read that story). This is the concluding part - and, as it happens, my 15,000th post on the board.

*************************************************************************************************************

--- Knowledge is power ---

Previously:

"We pass all the cars on to Santos. What he does after, I got no idea."

"What's your cut?"

The kid smiled bitterly, "Survival."

Mick sighed. Fourteen years old and he’d already seen too much, "Where do I find this Santos?"

"Miguel, don’t."

"Shut up, T. I'm taking care of this. Corner of Jones and Farmington. It's a legit workshop at the front, chop shop round back. That's where he usually hangs out. He does business from an office on the lot. That's all I know." His chin rose in defiance.

"You got somewhere you can get patched up?"

"Like you care."

"Don't go back there tonight, okay?

It was the best he could do.

Santos.

Mick knew him by reputation but their paths had never crossed.

Until now.

He'd run this part of town for too many years and it had made him careless and arrogant, sitting in his unshaded, brightly-lit office for all the world to see. It didn't take long for Mick to get the lay of the land. Whatever kind of threat Santos was expecting, he thought two large, human bodyguards would be enough to protect him. Jaw set, jacket pulled tight, Mick crossed the street pondering the magnitude of that mistake.

He swung the door wide and took two paces into the room, interrupting a hand of poker, dealt over a worn, shabby desk, just as Santos reached for the pot.

Trigger fingers twitched.

Santos looked up, scented, waved his cigar at Mick, "I know you?"

"Mick St. John." A flicker of recognition. "You have something that belongs to a friend of mine."

"I doubt that."

Mick stepped close, throwing the pictures of Marsden's car onto the desk. "Four nights ago, corner of Washington and Main."

Santos didn't even glance down. "Like I said, nothing to do with me, Mick." He knew his goons would be no match for Mick if it came down to it, but he showed no trace of concern taking another puff on his cheap cigar. He reached for his winnings letting out an indignant yelp as Mick's fist crashed down on top of his hand, pinning him to the table.

The two bodyguards rose and turned, confident. Mick smiled, a slight shake of his head. "You really should think about the calibre of protection you employ, Santos. Pinky and Perky really aren't up to the job." With a snarl, Pinky forgot the advantage his gun might have given and reached for Mick's throat. His hand didn't even make contact as a chop across his windpipe left him gasping. Perky managed to get a shot off, missed wildly, flailing, as a kick dislodged his kneecap in concert with the heel of Mick's hand smashing the bridge of his already-squat nose.

"Stay down." They didn't need to be told twice. Mick hauled Santos by the collar over the desk and onto the floor, one knee on his chest, hand round his throat. "And it's Mr. St. John." Pulling a picture from the desk he jabbed it in front of Santos. "Four nights ago, Washington and Main, two of your kids jacked this car. Where is it?"

Santos finally looked at the picture and Mick saw a tremor of fear, "Look, we got a fast turnaround here. Four nights ago, you say?" Mick nodded. "Then it's long gone. Could be anywhere from here to the border by now."

Mick wasn't surprised but he knew Santos was still hiding something. "And?"

Hands spread wide, conciliatory, "And what? The car's gone. I had no idea he was one of our own. No harm, no foul, right?"

Mick hauled him to his feet, backing him up against the wall, pressing close, his whisper sufficient to chill a braver man than Santos, "Do I look stupid to you?"

"What?" Santos tried to wriggle free, "No, of course not."

"Then stop jerking me around and tell me where the rest of it is. The stuff you took out of the car before you moved it."

A beat.

His hesitation betrayed him.

The crack of the first finger was drowned out by his cry of pain.

"I know that's gonna heal pretty fast, but I've got time. I can break every single bone and then go back to the beginning and start again if I have to. Now. Where's the rest of it?"

Santos paused, evaluating his paltry options and deciding on compliance, nodding to the one bodyguard still able to stand. He dragged a carton from beneath the desk and kicked it toward Mick.

"Good. Now we're getting somewhere. Sit down." He shoved Santos into the nearest chair. A cursory check, a resigned sigh, a dangerous smile. "The gun?"

"Okay, okay." He pulled the .44 from his belt and tossed it into the carton.

"And where's the briefcase?"

He tried to hide the nervous lick of his lips, "I don't know what you're talking about."

"That's a shame." Mick paced, a half-smile, "I really thought we'd established some… rapport here and then you go and lie to me?" He shook his head, tutting, "I'm hurt." Santos was fast, but Mick was faster, cutting off his break for the door with ease, shoving him against the wall, arm twisted behind his back, hand bent until he heard the sinews strain.

Santos cried out in pain, "Okay, okay! Shit, man, it's just a briefcase."

"Where is it?"

"I don't know, man."

Crack.

Scream.

"That's the wrist. Arm next. Where is it?"

"I'm not shitting you, man, honest. I don't know where it is!"

"It was in the car. You stole the car. You must have it."

"Some guy," he was panting now, sweat pouring, "some guy shows up, offers me 500 bucks for it. 500 bucks, man! We couldn't even open the fucking thing, so I gave it to him. I swear. I swear on my mother's life, that's the truth."

Mick relaxed his grip. "Considering your mother's probably been in the ground for a few decades you should think about swearing on something else. Who was the guy?"

"Just some guy," he shrugged. "I was looking at the money, not his face."

"Vampire?"

Santos nodded, "But I've never seen him before. Some suit. That's all I know, I swear-"

"Yeah, I know. On your mother's life." Mick turned to leave, picking up the carton on his way toward the door. One hand on the door handle, he paused and half-turned, "One more thing. Touch those kids again, I'll be back. Understand?"

Santos nodded.

"You're done here."

The cool, evening air failed to soothe Mick's frustration on the short drive home. No car. No briefcase. No leads. Back to square one. The nagging voice that had been tapping away at his consciousness since Marsden first showed up in his office was becoming a roar. He was missing something, something that didn't quite fit. Marsden's anonymous recommendation. The fact that the perp turned out to be a vamp. The missing briefcase and the suited buyer. There was someone else's hand in all this. Marsden's mysterious client maybe? Mick jabbed at the steering wheel as he tried to force the pieces into some kind of order, but they wouldn't fit.

Maybe he just needed some rest, a little peace and quiet to ponder.

Then again, maybe not. The curves of a scarlet Ferrari gleamed into view as Mick pulled into the parking garage, which meant two things: one, Josef was upstairs helping himself to Mick's stash and two, he had a hand to play.

As expected, Josef had made himself at home, easy in the wing chair as Mick strode past him to the kitchen, "Josef."

"Ah, Mick. Good evening?"

"What do you want?"

Josef's eyebrows rose in mock consternation, "Nice to see the welcome is as warm as ever."

"It's been a long night and I'm not in the mood to play games." Stepping back from the kitchen he glanced through the open door to the office, catching sight of a black, leather briefcase placed on his desk. "I see I'm not the only one who's been busy."

"Recovered stolen property. You seemed like the obvious person to bring it to."

"And how did you know I was looking for a briefcase exactly like that one?"

"What can I say, it's a small world. I took the liberty of calling Mr… Jones, to share the happy news. He should be here," Josef checked his watch with a flourish, "momentarily." Right on cue the elevator pinged. "And I shall take my leave." He rose with a grin.

Hands on hips, Mick planted himself between Josef and the door, "Why the secrecy, Josef? If you wanted me to work this case, why not just tell me?"

"Well I know you have your pride, Mick. I'd hate for you to think it was charity." Mick snorted, his disbelief fuelled by a growing anger. "And when I heard what had happened and it appeared there was a vampire involved, I needed to make sure it was handled discreetly." They both turned at a knock on the door.

"And the briefcase?"

"Your client's waiting."

"He can wait. What's in the briefcase, Josef?"

"Check it for yourself. You'll see no sign that it has been opened. I'm sure Mr. Jones's client's secrets are safe from prying eyes."

"Now why don't I believe you?"

"Because you have an inherently distrustful nature, my friend. You really should do something about that." Josef glided around Mick and made for the door.

"And getting Santos out of the way doesn't benefit you either, I suppose?"

"Fringe benefits, Mick. Fringe benefits."

Gripping the door handle, Mick jabbed his fingers into Josef's chest, "You set this whole thing up, didn't you? Getting me to do your dirty work just to get your hands on whatever is in that briefcase, no matter who got hurt in the process."

"You give me far too much credit, my friend. Besides, consorting with petty criminals? Hardly my style. Now if you'll excuse me I have some research to do. I have a sudden interest in next generation telecommunications."

He brushed Mick aside and swung the door open, passing Marsden, nodding politely, as he sauntered down the corridor.

"I had a strange phone call," Marsden had just the right amount of uncertainty in his voice.

Mick glared at him, stock still. Finally he waved him through to the office, indicating the briefcase on the desk.

"These look like jimmy marks," he said, running a practised hand over the case.

"The genius who stole it didn't have much luck getting it open. You can check the contents here or take it as is. Your choice. The car's gone." Marsden shrugged, eyeing the carton, "But it looks like everything else is here. The gentleman who recommended you did me a big favour. I'm grateful, Mick. Thank you."

"Are you gonna tell me what's in it?"

He grinned, "Truth? I have no idea. Safer that way. The client's some cutting-edge computer genius so it could be his latest invention. Or it could be photographs of his daughter's high school recital."

Mick shook his head, "A modern day Maltese Falcon." He extended his hand, "It's been, interesting, Simon."

"And if I can ever be of service, don't hesitate to call." He turned to leave, strapping the bent but still-serviceable handcuff chain to his wrist.

"Simon. One last thing. Call it a word to the wise."

"Yes?"

"Favours from Josef Kostan always come at a price."

With a warm grin, he turned, "Josef who?" And he was gone.

Alone in the silence Mick poured himself a stiff drink and moved to the window, surveying the starlit city below. He'd done his job, got his client's property back, no-one died and a lowlife vampire was out of business. So why did he take such small satisfaction from his night's work?

He'd thought it was a regular, human case, but, as usual, there was as least one vampire's influence at play. Was this the way things were always going to be, no escape from vampires exploiting children for their own ends? First Coraline, now Santos. And Josef was no innocent either. He'd been happy to use those kids to get what he needed and now Mick was compelled to do something to try to get them back from the brink, away from Santos and his kind.

Because they were different. They were users, abusers, monsters. Not like him.

A wave of memory rippled through him. He could still feel her, high on the thrill right up to the moment he drove the stake through her heart. She haunted his dreams, sleeping and waking, a face amid the flame.

Grabbing his keys, slinging on his coat, he headed out. He knew where he needed to be, the pull stronger than ever. A couple of days and nights felt like an eternity and he needed her now; to see her; to feel her; to remember that there was someone in the world, in his world, who needed him.

As he pulled over across the street from the Turner house, the calm he had sought all night finally descended. There was one thing he could cling to, one certainty in his new world: no matter how long she lived, no matter how far apart they travelled, no matter who else got in his way, Beth was the one person he would always keep safe.

Click here for my story index

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" - Emily Dickinson
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Re: Knowledge is power (PG-13) - challenge #116 (part 3 of 3)

Post by francis »

And we're full circle to brooding stalking Mick again. His cases are just eruptions of violence and strength and quick thinking, then he's back to being the observer of life, not really living himself.
I really like that you don't give us more about the case. The open end leaves me thinking: What did Josef want? Did he make Santos and the kids take the car to get to the briefcase, or was that a fringe benefit he just used to his advantage? And how does Josef manage to make everyone close their lips even to Mick? Such raw power! And Mick knows, but can't do anything. Does he feel used by Josef? Is this putting a strain on the friendship or will Mick just shrug and go on?
And most important: What was in the briefcase? Certified information about the newest technological thing, like the cellphone or Apple computers or something?

Awesome story!!!
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Oooh... poor Mick. :Mickangel: He must feel very much like a pawn right now. And the cool thing about the story is, you haven't told us any more than Mick knows, so we're all kind of up in the air and wondering, what was that all about, anyway? What machinations were going on behind the scenes? And why involve Mick at all? It leaves the reader with a wonderfully prickly, unsatisfied feeling--which is what Mick must be feeling too. Everywhere he turns, no matter how hard he tries to stay in the human world, he runs into vampires. He can't escape 'em. He's haunted by Coraline, manipulated by Josef, tangled in a web of vampire politics that he doesn't understand and doesn't want.

And so he goes to the one place where he can feel that he's got control... watching over the one person who is totally and completely safe now, in the human world--because of him. Except, of course, that she's not. Because it won't be long (in vampire terms) before Beth's human world takes a sharp turn and she ends up walking through a freezing fountain, straight into the world of vampires.
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

francis wrote:And we're full circle to brooding stalking Mick again. His cases are just eruptions of violence and strength and quick thinking, then he's back to being the observer of life, not really living himself.
I really like that you don't give us more about the case. The open end leaves me thinking: What did Josef want? Did he make Santos and the kids take the car to get to the briefcase, or was that a fringe benefit he just used to his advantage? And how does Josef manage to make everyone close their lips even to Mick? Such raw power! And Mick knows, but can't do anything. Does he feel used by Josef? Is this putting a strain on the friendship or will Mick just shrug and go on?
And most important: What was in the briefcase? Certified information about the newest technological thing, like the cellphone or Apple computers or something?

Awesome story!!!
Thanks, francis. Yes, brooding Mick is back. For now. I think he did a LOT of that between the fire and the fountain...

Did Josef get Santos to steal the briefcase first, or did he just capitalise on an opportunity? Whichever you believe, he went to a great deal of trouble to get it. He used Mick and put other people at risk. Although you could look it as a vote of confidence - he knew if he got Mick involved, he'd get what he wanted.

Mick will add it to his list of reasons in spite of which Josef remains his friend.

As for the briefcase contents, your guess is pretty good - that was what I had in mind, anyway.

Red

redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

allegrita wrote:Oooh... poor Mick. :Mickangel: He must feel very much like a pawn right now. And the cool thing about the story is, you haven't told us any more than Mick knows, so we're all kind of up in the air and wondering, what was that all about, anyway? What machinations were going on behind the scenes? And why involve Mick at all? It leaves the reader with a wonderfully prickly, unsatisfied feeling--which is what Mick must be feeling too.
When Josef needs something handled, and wants some deniability, Mick is his first port of call. I think we saw even in 2007 that it still rankled, much as Mick always somehow ended up doing what Josef wanted.
allegrita wrote:Everywhere he turns, no matter how hard he tries to stay in the human world, he runs into vampires. He can't escape 'em. He's haunted by Coraline, manipulated by Josef, tangled in a web of vampire politics that he doesn't understand and doesn't want.

And so he goes to the one place where he can feel that he's got control... watching over the one person who is totally and completely safe now, in the human world--because of him. Except, of course, that she's not. Because it won't be long (in vampire terms) before Beth's human world takes a sharp turn and she ends up walking through a freezing fountain, straight into the world of vampires.
Can you say, inevitable?

Red

GuardianAngel
Courtesan

Post by GuardianAngel »

What a very tangled web you weave.

It figures Josef would be involved. It looks like quite a few people benefited from Santos being eliminated.

I love Mick in this piece. He's coming into his own. Confident. Strong. He enjoyed taking those jerks down. :)

"Some suit." I guess that was a good description of Josef. I'm thinking he wasn't all that well known back then and the contents of that suitcase helped him to become the richest vamp in L.A.
AussieJo
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by AussieJo »

Poor Mick.
He feels manipulated.
Never a nice thing to feel. So he goes back to a role he feels mostly comfortable about - keeping his Beth safe.
Good story Red. :hug:
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

But he kicked ass along the way.... so, not ALL bad. :snicker:

Red

GuardianAngel
Courtesan

Post by GuardianAngel »

Damn, I forgot to say how much I loved the ending. Beth is his constant, the horizon he can focus on to get his bearings when things get choppy. I guess it worked. For 22 years anyway. LOL
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

:hug: :hug: :hug:

Thanks, GA.

Mick's magnetic north. :happysigh: :happysigh:

Red

NocturneInCMoll
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by NocturneInCMoll »

Marvellous, Red. Forgive me for skipping commenting on the previous two parts and jumping right ahead. :biggrin: I don't know what can be said that hasn't already been said. Loved the noir, loved Mick kicking ass (totally the 80s PI Mick we got a glimpse of in Out of the Past) while gently saving those in need, loved Josef scheming to keep Mick busy and further his own ends at the same time, loved his torment over Coraline's death, loved Beth keeping him sane. :clapping:
Luxe de Luxe
Sire

Post by Luxe de Luxe »

Red, I LOVE this Mick. He handles himself such tough guy confidence - it's a real turn on :snicker: Seriously.

This story is packed full of excellent dialogue, really life like, I could 'hear' it being spoken. Josef deserved a bit of smacking around for treating Mick like a patsy.
Banner by the talented Hot Micks
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

Nocturne and Luxe, thank you both SO much. I love Mick at this time and it really was an absolute blast to write a case for him. Rubicon is one of my favourite of my stories so it was also lovely to pick up the timeline from there.

Red

wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

Well, while it's true this story is wonderful without the background of Rubicon, and its predecessor Anniversary, I DO recommend folks who haven't read both go check them out. Cos what just KILLS me (I mean that in a good way :devil: ) about your Mick stories is just how perfectly you capture him, make him living- (or unliving, I guess) and breathing- real for us, just thru your words.

And the amazing thing about this one, for me, is how you've brought him along from those early stories to this one. Here he is, not too long before we ourselves will meet him, and he's taken on a new life, or I should say a new lifestyle, just now. The life, in fact, in which we WILL meet him for the first time.

He is alternately mourning, pining, and feeling relieved of Coraline. He's resigned to being a vamp, but determined to be an oh so human vamp. He's gonna help the humans; he's gonna commit to that whole "do-gooder" thing he talks about later. He's made a rough peace with his brethren, and he has a rep, he's earned their respect. But he kinda keeps his distance too. He loves his BFF and they have a long and storied history together by this time, but it's changing a bit too, and Mick is the one driving that change... no more Red Room adventures for now. Mick doesn't drop out of the playa life from weakness tho... this Mick is all about strength. He's a powerful guy, not like Josef is, who just got a lot more financially powerful with his stolen intel :biggrin: , but powerful physically and mentally. He can do whatever he sets out to, and doesn't care what others think. He's an alpha. And Josef is having to accept that... tho as it turns out, isn't above using it for his own ends either.

But Mick's got a secret weakness, and it seems that not even Josef really gets that--I don't know when Josef will get a clue about that, but at some point in the show he does. At any rate, Beth is both his strength and his weakness. She gives him calm and peace, but that means, all unknowing, she has his life (or undeath) in her little girly fingers. She has power over him that, now that Cora is gone, no one else does. I find that interesting about this piece, and I've never really thought of it like that until I read this. She's replaced Cora in her power to command how he feels about himself. How he sees himself.

I read these chapters all together and loved em all, but I MUST comment about the cleverness of chapter one. Besides setting up your story and nailing our guy, as usual, you also link this story to the show in such perfect ways. His own thoughts about the noir detective shows and how he sees himself a bit like them... thus explaining the V/O's in his head when we meet him and of course totally evoking the sets and the beauty of those eps. :cloud9: Brilliant and perfect... again, I'd never put together that Mick BECAME a PI while those suckers were still popular, but leave it to you to do so. :clapping: Also his Know-Your-Client-101 philosophy, expressed in The Ringer, but here too. Mick is always consistent, isn't he? Also love the "curiouser and curiouser" Alice in Wonderland reference... :twothumbs: Your details, as always rock. And your Mick could walk right off the pages... er, screen... here and take right up where we left him off.

D@mn I wish he would!!!!!!!!
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

wpgrace wrote:Well, while it's true this story is wonderful without the background of Rubicon, and its predecessor Anniversary, I DO recommend folks who haven't read both go check them out. Cos what just KILLS me (I mean that in a good way :devil: ) about your Mick stories is just how perfectly you capture him, make him living- (or unliving, I guess) and breathing- real for us, just thru your words.
:thanks: :rose: :rose:
wpgrace wrote:And the amazing thing about this one, for me, is how you've brought him along from those early stories to this one. Here he is, not too long before we ourselves will meet him, and he's taken on a new life, or I should say a new lifestyle, just now. The life, in fact, in which we WILL meet him for the first time.

He is alternately mourning, pining, and feeling relieved of Coraline. He's resigned to being a vamp, but determined to be an oh so human vamp. He's gonna help the humans; he's gonna commit to that whole "do-gooder" thing he talks about later. He's made a rough peace with his brethren, and he has a rep, he's earned their respect. But he kinda keeps his distance too. He loves his BFF and they have a long and storied history together by this time, but it's changing a bit too, and Mick is the one driving that change... no more Red Room adventures for now. Mick doesn't drop out of the playa life from weakness tho... this Mick is all about strength. He's a powerful guy, not like Josef is, who just got a lot more financially powerful with his stolen intel :biggrin: , but powerful physically and mentally. He can do whatever he sets out to, and doesn't care what others think. He's an alpha. And Josef is having to accept that... tho as it turns out, isn't above using it for his own ends either.
Oh YUM, I love that description of Mick's physical and mental strength/power. It does take strength and courage to carve out your own path, especially when it wanders between two different (and frequently competing) worlds. He is an alpha, indeed.
wpgrace wrote:But Mick's got a secret weakness, and it seems that not even Josef really gets that--I don't know when Josef will get a clue about that, but at some point in the show he does. At any rate, Beth is both his strength and his weakness. She gives him calm and peace, but that means, all unknowing, she has his life (or undeath) in her little girly fingers. She has power over him that, now that Cora is gone, no one else does. I find that interesting about this piece, and I've never really thought of it like that until I read this. She's replaced Cora in her power to command how he feels about himself. How he sees himself.
:yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: Absolutely. From the moment Coraline kidnapped Beth, that path was set. Fate, kismet, whatever, would not be denied.
wpgrace wrote:I read these chapters all together and loved em all, but I MUST comment about the cleverness of chapter one. Besides setting up your story and nailing our guy, as usual, you also link this story to the show in such perfect ways. His own thoughts about the noir detective shows and how he sees himself a bit like them... thus explaining the V/O's in his head when we meet him and of course totally evoking the sets and the beauty of those eps. :cloud9: Brilliant and perfect... again, I'd never put together that Mick BECAME a PI while those suckers were still popular, but leave it to you to do so. :clapping: Also his Know-Your-Client-101 philosophy, expressed in The Ringer, but here too. Mick is always consistent, isn't he? Also love the "curiouser and curiouser" Alice in Wonderland reference... :twothumbs: Your details, as always rock. And your Mick could walk right off the pages... er, screen... here and take right up where we left him off.

D@mn I wish he would!!!!!!!!
Me too, sweetie. Me too. :cloud9: :cloud9: I love that you picked out those bits - I have a weakness for those old films and TV shows (and radio shows) and in many ways this story was about what Hitchcock referred to as the MacGuffin: the thing in the film everyone is racing around chasing, but is of only marginal interest to the viewer as they want to see who gets the girl and if the bad guy gets his comeuppance. The Maltese Falcon was the prime example - most people can't remember why the actual bird was so valuable - and it really doesn't matter. Hence the briefcase here. :biggrin:

As for Mick's consistency - well, consistently awe-inspiring, I'd say. :happysigh: :happysigh:

Thanks so much, honey.

Red

Return to “Knowledge is Power”