Alex in Madison Magazine

librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Re: Alex in Madison Magazine

Post by librarian_7 »

I think you make some good points. I'd LOVE to hear from someone who has seen the print version of the issue. I have checked the magazine, and know it's a reputable mag (or at least a REAL one...).

It's very possible these are composite photos...but I have to ask, if they are, what is the harm? We got to see some shots of Alex we hadn't seen before, right?

If this is an actual scan of the magazine, then it's publicity for Alex, which is good, regardless of the nature of the photos. While news photos are held to a high standard, and editing of them is considered unethical, these are fashion shots. Different animal.

If it's a hoax, then what's the point of it?

Lucky
bank1115
Fledgling

Post by bank1115 »

Unless this was taken directly from an advertisement for Budweiser Beer there is NO way Alex posed for this picture! He, along with every other celebrity, are very very careful not to be seen endorsing a product without signing a contract first. There are many pics of Alex holding a beer and he is always hiding the brand name from sight. This is quite obviously a fake. kays
Beautiful banner by Phoenix
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by Lilly »

I think Luna and kays make some valid points.

I’ve been away for most of the weekend and first saw these pictures from my phone. I couldn’t really investigate until I got home – but my first impression was that they were Photoshopped, perhaps to create a mock-up of a photo spread. I wasn’t familiar with Madison Magazine and didn’t know if it was legitimate or not, but these photos just struck me as something someone created, perhaps as an artistic challenge. There’s something about the lighting, shadow and contrast that seems off in most of them, and although that could be due to airbrushing the model, they just don’t look like they were in the same place when photographed. Even the "hair" shot is do-able in Photoshop.

I could nitpick each photo, but I don’t think there’s any point to that. Personally, I don’t believe any malice was intended -- but my gut reaction is that something isn’t quite right. :2cents:
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
Avatar from "Matasaburo of the Wind" © 2009 Alex Gross, used with the permission of the artist
lunalux
Fledgling

Post by lunalux »

Lucky, I agree there's no harm in it, and frankly, you are right to ask as to the motivation behind a hoax. It is more publicity for Alex so that is a good thing. I agree withLilly about there not being something quite right. I noticed the lighting also, and the black tee seems off to me - the color a bit too vivid. And of course, I completely missed the product endorsement angle that kays mentioned. An excellent catch.
Lucy
Ancient

Post by Lucy »

lunalux wrote:Hello everyone,

Not to rain on anyone's parade, and with all due respect to the experts, has anyone actually seen the hard copy of this magazine? The information is on a blog, right? Lovely as they may be, I'm not convinced that the pictures are real. Here's why:

Scale between Alex and Alyssa seems to be off - especially the shot of them sitting on the bed, and frankly the posing of that picture seems weird as does the pic where Alex is seated, drinking a beer. Alex's clothes also seem oddly reminiscent of a previous photo shoot in a similarly desert-like, derelict type building. White tee, denim work shirt, denim jacket, and haven't I seen those mirrored aviators before?

Secondly, if you go to the actual Madison Magazine site, unless I missed it, there is no mention of either Alex or Alyssa appearing in the issue, or anywhere else on the site, which seems odd considering they are (or are being touted as) Australian's sexiest model and hottest actor.

Finally, on the blog at the bottom it says: ArtVandelay @ tfs for Madison scans. If you were a fan of Seinfield, you will remember that Art Vandelay was a recurring pseudonym for the George Constanza character played by Jason Alexander. I don't know what "tfs for Madison scans" means, but if there was some reference, wouldn't it be to the magazine or the photographer?

Color me skeptical. I hope I'm wrong, but please, decide for yourselves.
:coffee: HAH! "ArtVandelay @ tfs for Madison scans." Change one letter to "M" and you have "scams"

Nothing like a Sienfeldesque turn of the page, huh?

OK, I am ready to celebrate "Festivus", especially the "feats of strength" :angel:
r1015bill
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by r1015bill »

I was very much in the "they are fashion pictures, there's no harm if they photoshopped them" camp. I figured the editors probably couldn't get Alex and Alyssa in the same place at the same time. I saw no harm in it.

But the spotting of "ArtVandelay" makes me wonder??
Phoenix
Moonlightaholic Founder

Post by Phoenix »

Hey ladies, I've been lost in the twilight zone for the past couple of days - meaning, I lost my internet access - and only just happened upon this discussion.

Not being an expert on Photoshop ... or anything else, really ... I can't shed any light on that aspect, but as soon as it's daylight again, I will make it a priority to hunt down a copy of Madison magazine and at least confirm / deny that the photoshoot is in the publication.

Watch this space for breaking news. :hyper2:
Beautiful tag courtesy of SirenSong.
Image My fanfic index. My banner art.

Each player must accept the cards life deals him. But once they are in hand, he alone must decide how to play the cards in order to win the game. Voltaire.
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

There's our loyal and intrepid Admin!! :twothumbs:

Thanks, Phee. :hug:
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by Lilly »

Well, I stand corrected about the photos being someone's pet project. Earlier today I emailed Madison Magazine:

Greetings! I live in New York and can't get my hands on a current issue of your magazine. Can you tell me if you have a photo shoot in your July 2010 issue featuring Alyssa Sutherland and actor Alex O'Loughlin? I heard that the photo group has been titled "On the Road." Any info you could give me about the shoot would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. Best regards, _____

I just received this response:

Hi _____,

Yes the ‘On the Road’ photoshoot was featured in our July 2010 issue and shot in America. I have attached the pdf copies of the pages for you.

If I can help you in any other way please let me know.

Kind regards,

Sophie

The scans she sent me are the same images we've already seen. The photos still leave me with an odd feeling, but now the magazine has taken ownership so I'll leave it at that.
Last edited by Lilly on Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: to clarify
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
Avatar from "Matasaburo of the Wind" © 2009 Alex Gross, used with the permission of the artist
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

Well you go, Lilly! :woohoo:

Getting to the bottom of the mystery in record time... part PI, part pushy reporter. :biggrin: :twothumbs:
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)
lynnrxgal
Fledgling

Post by lynnrxgal »

I, too, emailed the magazine and here is the email I received:
Hi Lynn,

Yes this is a real photo shoot featured in our July issue of Madison. The shoot was done over in America by our stylist Milka Prica who is based over there.
The models were not photoshopped together.

If you have any other queries please feel free to contact me.

Kind regards,
Sophie
Albra
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by Albra »

Thank you Lilly :flowers: and you Lynn :flowers:
:phew:
wollstonecraft61
Rogue vampire

Post by wollstonecraft61 »

Wow, we have some observant and crack-research people here on board. I am impressed. :notworthy:
Banner by the beautiful Alyssa Banner by the EXTREMELY talented eris
r1015bill
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by r1015bill »

Maybe part of the reason the pictures look odd is because the model's eye focus is kind of different.

With the photo on this page (Alex drinking Budweiser with the model on his shoulder), alternately cover each of her eyes. Her right eye (your left) seems focused somewhere to the right of the camera. Her left eye (on your right) is focused right on the camera.

I mean if Madison deliberately had the two of them act like the other one wasn't in the room it doesn't seem like a very fun road trip to me. What a weird vibe! Of course, it's made all the weirder because we know it was no road trip at all - just one location.
Tam
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by Tam »

I somehow missed this discussion before I could check out the pics for 'shops, but I did recognise the motel right away!
I love the B&W pic that the others have mentioned, it's very... :melts:

I like the conspiracy theories...but this is pretty much how our fashion spreads look as well, models not looking at each other, being all very snooty, no chemistry or interaction. I think it takes an actor to actually liven it up, the way Alex does :)

That said- the pink leggings...pants...thingy that the woman is wearing is very :nonono: But this thread is about Alex and he loks VERY fine in this :yes:

Return to “Pictures of Alex”