Finding Innocence - Conclusion - PG

Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Finding Innocence - Conclusion - PG

Post by Lilly »

Conclusion

“Mommy!”

Renee Williams snapped her cell phone closed and spun around to see Mick St. John moving gracefully through the nearly deserted lobby, his long black coat flaring behind him as he walked. Matthew was perched on his shoulders, smiling, and securing himself with two fistfuls of the PI’s hair.

“Matthew!” she cried, reaching out instinctively to gather up her son as Mick bent down to lower the child into her welcoming arms. Matthew squirmed as she hugged him tightly, silently willing him to never leave her sight again. She loosened her embrace just slightly, and pulled her head back to study the little boy’s face. She needed to make sure that he was truly all right. Running her hand up through his hair, she pushed it back off his forehead and replaced it with a long, tender kiss.

“Ouch.” Matthew responded.

Gently lowering Matthew to the floor, Renee turned to the PI who was solemnly regarding the reunion.

“I can’t believe he let you pick him up,” she marveled. “Mr. St. John. I – I can’t begin...”

When words failed her, she rushed forward, impulsively wrapping her arms around her son’s savior. Another impromptu display of affection - the second one that night. Mick stood stiffly, his arms raised out to his sides, unsure of whether or not to return the gesture. Before he could reach a decision, however, the awkward moment was interrupted by an insistent tugging on the hem of Renee’s jacket.

“Mommy? Mommy! Guess - what!” a small voice demanded. Mick drew in deep breath.

Releasing the PI, Mrs. Williams looked down at Matthew. “What is it, sweetie?”

“Mick’s a vampire!”

Renee Williams bent down to her son’s level, uncertain that she had heard correctly, and asked softly, “What did you say, Matthew?”

“Mick’s - a - vampire.”

Mick watched as the woman’s expression grew thoughtful and then serious. She seemed be searching her son’s face. As she rose slowly, Mick sensed her heart beating faster. Whether it was anxiety, anger, fear, he couldn’t tell. He braced himself and he waited.

“Mr. St. John,” her voice broke as she placed one hand protectively on her son’s shoulder. “Matthew doesn’t – connect – with very many people that he meets. In fact, most of the time, he just tunes them out. And he certainly isn’t in the habit of making up stories about strangers…”

Mick pursed his lips and turned his head away from her. He opened his mouth to speak, still unsure exactly what explanation, what lie or partial truth, he might offer, when Renee Williams continued.

“All I can say is - you must really be something special.”

“You should see his teeth!” Matthew suggested hopefully.

His mother raised her eyebrows and then smiled apologetically at the private investigator. Surprise was nudged aside by relief, as Mick found the subject quickly changed and mother and son hugging again and making small talk. After a few moments, Mrs. Williams turned back to him.

“Thank you for being so patient with us – with Matthew. Not everyone gets it. The way he is.” Her eyes welled up as she spoke. Her voice wavered. “Please, Mr. St. John, what do I owe you? For bringing him back to me?”

Mick lowered his eyes to Matthew, who was once again absorbed in his video game. Reaching down, he ruffled his hand through the boy’s hair and answered thoughtfully, “I happened to be in the right place at the right time. I’m glad I was able to help.”

“Ow,” came Matthew’s slightly delayed reaction.

The boy’s rescuer and the boy’s mother exchanged smiles. Handing her his business card, Mick added with a slight dip of his head, “If there’s ever anything you need.”

The PI hadn’t been looking for a new client that evening. He certainly didn’t expect payment. What he left unsaid, however, was that he’d already gotten more than he could begin to explain. Unrestrained acceptance, however brief, had no price tag.

---

Renee Williams didn’t believe in vampires. However, she did believe with all her heart that the remarkable man before of her, who had come out of nowhere to rescue Matthew, had made an uncommon connection with her son. It was as if she had been handed two miracles in one night. And she had dealt with autism long enough to know that you don’t question miracles – even if they come in the guise of vampires.

-------
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
Avatar from "Matasaburo of the Wind" © 2009 Alex Gross, used with the permission of the artist
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Re: Finding Innocence - Conclusion - PG

Post by wpgrace »

Sigh. Beautiful story for the boy, and for Mick.

God bless, sweetie.
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)
nutmegger911
Cleaner

Post by nutmegger911 »

Lilly,
This is a very sweet story. Thanks for posting.
NM911
LIVE WIDE
It ain't canon until they've shot it (and aired it) - I said that.
Trust the Muse. - Catmoon
The system isn't broken, it's fixed. - Billo
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by Lilly »

grace and NM -- thank you both so much!
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
Avatar from "Matasaburo of the Wind" © 2009 Alex Gross, used with the permission of the artist
RangerCM
Rogue vampire

Post by RangerCM »

Loved this one the first time I read it, and even more now. Thank you again for anther wonderful trip down memory lane.
banner by Cprav
seamus3333
Freelance freshie

Post by seamus3333 »

Lilly, You have a beautiful, deft touch with the character of Mick St. John. I enjoyed this very much. Thank you. Loved the child.
cassysj
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by cassysj »

Amazing. You have such skill with Mick. I'm glad I made time to read it today. This is outstanding.
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

I'm so thrilled to see this story being read again, and discovered for the first time by new readers. It's an extraordinary accomplishment.

Lucky
coco
Cleaner

Post by coco »

What a gorgeous finale to a sublime story Lilly. :biggrin:
coco's Fan Vids/coco's Graphic Art
Avi by TugaFanatic & banner by me. Thank you.

"Maybe it was her blood in my veins that let me feel her. The beating of her very living heart. Or maybe, we've always been connected." Mick & Beth - Moonlight

coco's YT channel
coco's Vimeo channel
100% Moonlight Tumblr
:twothumbs:
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by francis »

Lilly, this is an amazing story, touching the heart and warming the soul. Thank you so much for writing it. :flowers:
jmc
Rogue vampire

Post by jmc »

Thank you so much for writing this story. No other words. :rose:

:reading:

. . . Love is strong as death . . . - Song of Solomon 8: 6
"fiercely faithful"

My beautiful MickBeth avatar by Twilightdew. My beautiful banner courtesy of the very talented Phoenix.
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

This whole story has made me reach for a smilie I don't use terribly often: :cloud9: :cloud9:

It was simply wonderful.

Red :flowers:

Click here for my story index

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" - Emily Dickinson
starbucksjunkie
Logan's WoW nemesis
Location: Home drinking my own Starbucks and watching my DVDs. There's a recession on!

Post by starbucksjunkie »

Thank you, Lilly, for sharing this with us.

It's very special. :flowers:

"There is a degree to which . . . all literature, highbrow or low, from the Aeneid onward, is fan fiction . . . retelling and reimagining the stories that were told before us and that we have come of age loving--amateurs--we proceed, seeking out the blank places in the map that our favorite writers . . . have left for us . . ." -- Michael Chabon, Maps and Legends
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Lovely.

This beautifully tells a charming story about Mick and illustrates one of lifes' truths, that sometimes we get wonderful presents in suprising and unexpected ways.

Thank you for writing this!
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

Lilly,

Sigh...simply stunning. A warm tale of a little boy lost touching the heart of one who had been lost.

Yet Renee had the best philosophy of all
she had dealt with autism long enough to know that you don’t question miracles – even if they come in the guise of vampires.
Thank you so much for this :flowers:
darkstarrising
Love – the universal language, the story of Moonlight
View My Fanfic Index

Thanks to the talented and generous Phoenix for my beautiful banner!

Return to “Finding Innocence”