Trevor Munson - Angel of Vengeance - news, etc.

Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Re: Trevor Munson - Angel of Vengeance - news, etc.

Post by Lilly »

PNWgal wrote:Can he do that? That looks a hell of a lot like Mick, and I've gotta wonder if there's some kind of copyright issue here.
I'd also like to note that it's very unlikely that Trevor had anything to do with the image. :noway: We've learned elsewhere on the board that authors have very little control of the cover art for their books. It was most likely chosen by the Italian publisher and I would think that the publisher would be on top of any potential legal issues. :shrug:
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
Avatar from "Matasaburo of the Wind" © 2009 Alex Gross, used with the permission of the artist
PNWgal
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by PNWgal »

That's true...I'm sure they've covered all their bases.

It just IRKS me that they've used Mick's image. Trevor's made it pretty clear Mick Angel is NOT Mick St. John, and to use Mick's image just seems...deceitful to me.

Banner by the talented GuardianAngel

"It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." - George Eliot

"The dogs may bark, but the caravan passes on." - old Arab proverb

"Do the best you can do. Love many. Trust few." - Jack Ingram
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

Lilly wrote:
PNWgal wrote:Can he do that? That looks a hell of a lot like Mick, and I've gotta wonder if there's some kind of copyright issue here.
I'd also like to note that it's very unlikely that Trevor had anything to do with the image. :noway: We've learned elsewhere on the board that authors have very little control of the cover art for their books. It was most likely chosen by the Italian publisher and I would think that the publisher would be on top of any potential legal issues. :shrug:
There may be two questions here - does the image infringe on copyright and does Alex need to give his permission for using his likeness? :dizzy:
darkstarrising
Love – the universal language, the story of Moonlight
View My Fanfic Index

Thanks to the talented and generous Phoenix for my beautiful banner!
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

Legal issues aside, there's something about that face that is not quite Mick St. John. Something in the expression just looks, for lack of a better word, meaner. It's hard to put a finger on, but it's not the same. Strong resemblence, yes, but not the same.

And I'm betting the Italian publisher has the bases covered--but we also should be aware that the copyright law on such things varies wildly from country to country, and what might be illegal in the US, may be standard practice elsewhere.
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

It looks like a badly rendered painting of Mick St. John to me. I agree with Carol that the mouth and ears are wrong... and Lucky, I think it's that narrow mouth that makes him look meaner.

Note also that the anatomy of the neck and shoulders is weird. Look how deep the neckline of his shirt is. But I do wonder a bit about whether Alex would be entitled to compensation for the use of his likeness, however poorly done... :shrug:
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

This is why I think there may be an Alex - likeness issue - it's the same pouty expression - although Alex doesn't have blue eyes

darkstarrising
Love – the universal language, the story of Moonlight
View My Fanfic Index

Thanks to the talented and generous Phoenix for my beautiful banner!
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

I vote they give Alex money. Cuz this is clearly meant to evoke him, even if it is not a perfect likeness, whether that is purposefully imperfect or just a crappy artist. It's his image, and I doubt he sold the rights to it.

Plus the Henley, the hair, and the upturned collar are owed to whoever styled Alex as Mick.

Just wrong... unless they pay.
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)
mwj01
Courtesan

Post by mwj01 »

Lilly wrote:Probably the other way around. I think this cover version of Mick Angel is actually strongly influenced by the ML promo materials.
Yes, it is. :whistle: (Hi, all! :teeth:)

This is the reference photo that was used... (Borrowed Lilly's link for a side-by-side.)

ImageImage

"Damn this man and his eternal hotness!" -SirenSong
kath40
Cleaner

Post by kath40 »

Looks to me like an artist's rendering using some creative licence and this well known promo photo as reference.
If so they have used "Mick's" image for the cover. Hope they cut a deal somewhere that Alex gets a cut of 'cause it's HIS face.

kath40
Cleaner

Post by kath40 »

:snicker: mwj you beat me too it sister.

Never the less I kind of wish we got something like this for the American cover :winky:
Last edited by kath40 on Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Ahhhh, no wonder it looked so familiar!!! Dang. Alex definitely deserves to be compensated!! :madface:
mwj01
Courtesan

Post by mwj01 »

Of course I have no idea about legalities involved here as to rights either, but I can't get over how blatant this is! :madface: And poorly done imo.

"Damn this man and his eternal hotness!" -SirenSong
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Well, yeah... I have no idea either. :blushing: I'm only talking about what seems fair in an ethical sense. I'm sure there are all sorts of contract-ish and legalistic things that make no sense to non-lawyers... :sigh:
HotMicks
Ancient

Post by HotMicks »

They have probably skirted the copyright issues by altering the image (however slightly)... thus our comments that the artist had no talent ('coz Bob knows we have every inch of these images memorized). :snicker: In other words, what we consider lack of talent is probably intentional.

Sadly, copyright infringement on visuals is always harder to prove (as is the case here, where they've "altered" a photograph into an illustration). I remember when I was just getting started in "the journalism biz" many moons ago. The art director did a parody of the little "Operation" game guy to illustrate a story I wrote, and I asked her how she knew whether she changed it enough to avoid copyright issues. Here's what she said: 7%. I said, "Huh?" She said, "You have to change it by 7%." I said, "That doesn't make any sense... how do you know if you changed an image by 7% and where'd that 'random' percentage come from?" Her answer?

"A lawsuit."

:rolling:

I still don't believe her, but she did show me a school book she had with some examples of things that DID pass the copyright test (in court) and I gotta tell ya, some of them definitely looked like copyright infringement to me.

Of course, I've never heard that "7% line" ever again and once I became an editor, I just made sure we shied away from any copyright issues, since I didn't feel like going back to school to get a JD. :laugh:

It's definitely easier to nail infringement when it's words. :yes: And don't get me started on libel and slander. My employer was sued over slander for an article I wrote about a despicable company once :blushing: ... thankfully the judge threw it out as a SLAPP (nuisance) suit. :phew: I was pretty sure I was okay, though, I did pay attention in those classes... not wantin' to end up in jail and all. :snicker:

However, I'm of two minds on this... I hope it helps Trevor sell more books, but I feel bad for Alex and also wonder whether there's a potential for fan backlash from Italian Moonlight fans who don't know the book is different than the show ('coz this publisher is clearly banking on the show selling the book).
~ Hot Mick's Mistress of Chill
Fleur de Lisa
100% Moonlightaholic
Location: I wish I may, I wish I might, have the gorgeous man on the right>

Post by Fleur de Lisa »

How much input does the writer have in choosing the cover? If Trevor wanted to use Alex as a likeness, is there any possibility that he asked Alex for his permission to do so and Alex gave the go ahead?

Return to “Trevor Munson - Moonlight's Creator”