6. None (three p.m.) - G

allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Re: None (three p.m.) - G

Post by allegrita »

Oh, Red... this is simply lovely, and so wistful. The friendship between Mick and Bobby was one of my favorite parts of Moonlight. It represented so much of what being a vampire meant to Mick: the good (he could get information, go places, accomplish things Bobby couldn't do) and, most definitely, the bad. How precious that friendship was... all the more precious since Mick had to give it up. Yet another thing he had to deny himself, because he had a responsibility to the vampire community not to betray their secrets. The connection between those two men withstood the years, the distance, the mysteries and secrets--mostly because of Bobby's steadfastness (and willingness not to pry too much). But Mick couldn't meet Bobby halfway, however much he wanted to.

This story works perfectly within canon. It tells us how Bobby knew Mick had no kids, and even more, it reinforces the genuine warmth between the two men, the easy cooperation... and it shows us what a loss that friendship was to both of them. Bobby needed Mick's friendship, and Mick knew it--and couldn't give it to him. :Mickangel:

I love the Divine Office series, because in many ways, it's the "little" stories that capture my heart the most. The small, life-defining moments, the not-so-epic situations. Mick's had plenty of epic adventures in his long existence; but like most of us, his life is made up mostly of smaller things: human, real, "ordinary" stories that are the building blocks of a life.
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

:yes: :yes: :yes: Oh I agree - it's ALL about the small stuff and I think that's what weighs so heavily on Mick. I loved the scene in OoTP when Mick went to visit Bobby - both actors played it SO beautifully, with so much warmth - it was lovely to revisit that in this story.

Red

Click here for my story index

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" - Emily Dickinson
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

My goodness, red, with each subsequent chapter you tell us just a little bit more of the man we know as Mick St. John. Each of these stories stands alone, providing a glimpse of both man and vampire. By the time you're done, you will have woven all of these stories together into a magnificent tapestry that tells the story of the man who lost his life, but never his humanity.

In this chapter, you present us with a man touched by the plea of an old friend, one with whom he had a warm, honest friendship. He was invited into their home, shared their joy, and noted with sorrow the passing of a woman he admired. How hard must it have been to see Bobby after all these years, robbed of his youth, his vision, an old man, where 20 years later, Mick is frozen in time, forever young. Yet I wonder if Mick doesn't envy Bobby just a little bit, and the joy he shared with Ella and his daughter, knowing he never will have those experiences.

Wonderful :heart:
darkstarrising
Love – the universal language, the story of Moonlight
View My Fanfic Index

Thanks to the talented and generous Phoenix for my beautiful banner!
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

Thanks, dsr - I love that idea of the tapestry - although hopefully it is a Moonlight tapestry, not just Mick. The next story is all Josef, and the final one, Mick/Beth.

And ITA on Mick never losing his humanity - it may be his flaw (looking at it from Josef's perspective - or Coraline's) but it's also what makes Mick, Mick. I also agree about the bond between Mick and Bobby being about honesty. It's strange when there was so much Mick didn't, and couldn't, share with Bobby, but there was something real and true about their connection.

Red

GuardianAngel
Courtesan

Post by GuardianAngel »

This is the kind of story that makes you smile through your tears. There's such a connection between Bobby and Mick, one I know that Mick is loathe to let go.
osef had warned him to stay away; that the risks were too great; that an old, blind cop was still a cop; that he should let it go. But he couldn’t. More than that, he didn’t want to.
Even Josef couldn't keep him away. As broody and solitary as Mick can be, he's an emotional guy. He can't ignore what his heart wants. It's one of the things I love so much about him.

I loved the references to Ella as well. Mick sees in her what he could have had. What he thought he had when he married Coraline. *sigh*
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

Oh that's so lovely, GA. Thank you. :hearts: :hearts: I completely agree about Mick, both in terms of sorrow at what he's never had (a happy marriage, a home, children) and in his need for emotional connection. More than anything, that's what Coraline took from him - his ability to connect with friends and family. But he'd also had some hard experience of that with Ray and Lilah.

Poor Mick. If ever a guy deserved a little happiness... :Mickangel:

Red

rijane
Freelance freshie

Post by rijane »

Today is a very, very good day. I have sunshine, a glass of wine and a red fic to read!

I agree with eris that this is a tough time for Mick - when people are close enough to see, to touch and to talk to, but the vampirism stops him. In a way it's better if they're gone because then he can mourn their loss properly. These last drips and drops of time with Bobby are bittersweet.

I loved this sentiment on Angie's part:
redwinter101 wrote:She could forgive David for getting conned. She wasn’t sure she’d ever forgive him for making her father feel useless.
It's horrible for parents when their adult children get into messes they can't get out of, but the guilt of the children is biting as well, especially with Bobby, who would have been such a hero as an officer.
redwinter101 wrote:He slipped into the car, closing the door gently, taking a moment to stare back at the house. Jabbing his sunglasses on he started the engine and pulled away, sure in the knowledge that he and Bobby Desmond would never see each other again.
LOVE this ending. So poignant and yet hope springs eternal (and into reality).

Lovely work! Thank you!!! :heart: :heart:

Edit: Also LOVE the banner! I'm a little swoony just seeing it!
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

Thanks, Ri sweetie. :smooch: I love that you love my endings. :biggrin:

I agree on the bittersweet, too - as I said above, these are all small moments, but they add to the wellspring of sadness that is such a part of Mick.

And TY for the banner love. :happysigh: :happysigh:

Red :heart:

Shadow
Courtesan

Post by Shadow »

I think I must be anti-psychic - I must have checked the Divine Office for something new JUST before you posted this! I'm glad it wasn't too long before I had another free moment and checked again.

I just loved seeing a story about Mick and Bobby's friendship, especially right now since I was just re-watching that scene over and over for Nostalgia. I don't think I had quite remembered till then how special that scene was or just how emotional it was, especially for Mick. So wonderful to see that they had this other meeting back here in 2002. I especially like how you make it clear that Bobby's blindness doesn't really take away the problems involved with keeping up this friendship, that there is so much more involved and Mick still can't really be in his life. Seems like it almost makes it harder for Mick, since when he sees the cane he can hardly stop himself from opening that door and reaching out - but he still can't. ( :hankie: that so made me think of the end of Fever ... )

And so great how Mick tells him here about not having a family or kids; no wonder Bobby is so absolutely certain of that in the show. This whole scene at Bobby's house seemed somehow sun-drenched to me, even though the house was so sad and empty with Ella gone. Even the sad parts of a normal life are things that Mick is missing out on.

(I had to smile when Bobby mentions Mick's fee, for upkeep on that fancy apartment. I went to visit Mick's building back on that tour in 08 and the apartment manager let us hang out in the penthouse for a while, as it wasn't rented out yet. He said it could be ours for only $17,000 a month ....)

:reading: I just love this series, there is so much depth in all the stories. I love the contrast between the little stories and the huge ones, and how it can be hard to tell which ones are the most significant to the characters' lives.

(And on a completely different note ... that is an awesome banner!)
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

Thanks, Shadow. :hearts: I adore that scene - there's such warmth between them, played so beautifully by both actors it was so easy to believe that they were close friends. I'd wanted to write more about Bobby for ages but hadn't managed to come up with anything until this piece.
Shadow wrote:I love the contrast between the little stories and the huge ones, and how it can be hard to tell which ones are the most significant to the characters' lives.
I love that. So very true - you would think that in a vampire's long life it's only the huge events that remain memorable, but from what we saw of Mick, it's those small moments, the significance of which often doesn't become apparent until much later, that have shaped his character.

And $17,000... :gasp: :gasp:

Red

coco
Cleaner

Post by coco »

Oh I love this one so very much, Red. :hearts:

One of my most memorable little snippets from viewing Moonlight has always been that little scene between Mick & Bobby. All that history, emotion and nostalgia. Very old friends sharing a moment in time and I just adore that they had this earlier meeting. Once again, you've helped fill in the little moments that make that scene on screen what it was.

Just lovely. :cloud9:
coco's Fan Vids/coco's Graphic Art
Avi by TugaFanatic & banner by me. Thank you.

"Maybe it was her blood in my veins that let me feel her. The beating of her very living heart. Or maybe, we've always been connected." Mick & Beth - Moonlight

coco's YT channel
coco's Vimeo channel
100% Moonlight Tumblr
:twothumbs:
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

Thanks, coco - I felt exactly the same way about that scene. (And I was totally entranced by having two actors with such divine voices in the same scene.)

Red

Moonlighter
Rogue vampire
Location: Found my nice soft place, snuggled up next to Mick in th-this fr-fr-frigid fr-fr-freezer...

Post by Moonlighter »

Mmmm, just passing through for a re-read. Just wonderful.

I am eagerly awaiting Vespers and Compline. Will they refer back to Homecoming I wonder, or will they be completely different like some of these were? My brain is sputtering trying to guess!
Banner courtesy of the wonderfully talented, Moderator Most Awesome, soon-to-be-missed Phoenix!
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

Moonlighter wrote:Mmmm, just passing through for a re-read. Just wonderful.

I am eagerly awaiting Vespers and Compline. Will they refer back to Homecoming I wonder, or will they be completely different like some of these were? My brain is sputtering trying to guess!
:smooch:

Thanks, Moonlighter, - re-reads are SO fabulous, and very much appreciated.

Vespers is a Giuseppe story - so, very different from everything we've had to date - and Compline will be Mick/Beth but separate from the Homecoming-themed stories.

Red :hearts:

jen
Cleaner

Re: 6. None (three p.m.) - G

Post by jen »

Fabulous.

Again, it has been too long between rereads. I will need to visit your office more often.

How poignant, and sad. Mick yearns for Bobby's continued friendship but because of what he is now, those very things present a danger that he can't risk. Or a danger that he can't let Bobby and his family risk.

So he keeps his distance and when he was needed, he did what he could.

Lovely.

Thank you.

Jenna

:hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix

Return to “The Divine Office”