Resurgam - A drabble G 4/21/2010

A place for Darkstarrising's G to PG-13 stories
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Resurgam - A drabble G 4/21/2010

Post by darkstarrising »

Hi!! :wave:

The title of this drabble (and this time I got the number of words right) is Resurgam, which is latin for 'I shall rise again'. I remember this phrase from Jane Eyre, a story I've loved for a very long time. The word was inscribed on the tombstone of a friend of the young orphan Jane, whose death leaves Jane once again alone. Eventually, she finds herself and true love, but not without a lot of trial and tribulation, much like a solitary vampire we all know and love.

Please enjoy!

Resurgam

Another town, another life. Just as I was getting used to the old one, the script changes and I become someone else.

Again.

God, how I hate the questions. You’d think after all these years, they wouldn’t bother me. But they do.

Who am I now? Who was I last year? Sometimes it’s tough to keep it all straight, to look people in the eye and tell them about someone who really doesn’t exist.

Just love me, please. I promise, I won’t hurt you.

Then you drift back into the shadows.

Yourself again.

Whoever that is.

For now, alone.
darkstarrising
Love – the universal language, the story of Moonlight
View My Fanfic Index

Thanks to the talented and generous Phoenix for my beautiful banner!
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Re: Resurgam - A drabble G 4/21/2010

Post by wpgrace »

Awwww. Lovely. Sad. :smooch:
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)
Luxe de Luxe
Sire

Post by Luxe de Luxe »

that really packs a punch for so few words, darkstar. it totally captures the down side of eternal life and leaves you with a melancholy feeling. good stuff.

ETA : great title BTW.
Banner by the talented Hot Micks
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by francis »

My, this is painful to read. Must be even more painful to live. To reinvent yourself and start fresh can be liberating, depending on the life you leave behind, but it's also destroying everything you had. And he didn't keep the one who loved him. I love this. So much emotion in so few words.

And I totally dig the latin.
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Beautiful, sad, hauntingly poignant. This is a story for every immortal... it's what must be when you can't share your biggest secret with anyone: the fact that you'll outlive everyone you know. So you move on, rising again and again and again, changing and changeless. :Mickangel: Thank you, DSR.
AussieJo
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by AussieJo »

Haunting and brilliant.....and yes, very sad. :hankie:
Well done, DS! :hug:
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

This is lovely - and melancholy and very, very Mick.

I loved the last line - just that chink of hope that keeps him going. For now. ;)

Red

Click here for my story index

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" - Emily Dickinson
NightAir
Fledgling

Post by NightAir »

So very sad. Always having to hide your true self. Always living a lie. Always leaving everything behind, again. Always searching for love.
This is haunting and beautiful. :hearts:
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

wpgrace wrote:Awwww. Lovely. Sad. :smooch:
Thanks, sweetie :hug: I was in kind of a funk when I wrote this. How sad to have to re-invent yourself just to survive.
Luxe de Luxe wrote:that really packs a punch for so few words, darkstar. it totally captures the down side of eternal life and leaves you with a melancholy feeling. good stuff.

ETA : great title BTW.
Thanks, luxe :hearts: Mick was right - there is a downside to living forever, especially if you have to live alone.
francis wrote:My, this is painful to read. Must be even more painful to live. To reinvent yourself and start fresh can be liberating, depending on the life you leave behind, but it's also destroying everything you had. And he didn't keep the one who loved him. I love this. So much emotion in so few words.

And I totally dig the latin.
Thanks, francis :hug: Eternity alone isn't any fun and worse when those you do love leave you behind. I figured that after four years of Latin I should do something with it.
allegrita wrote:Beautiful, sad, hauntingly poignant. This is a story for every immortal... it's what must be when you can't share your biggest secret with anyone: the fact that you'll outlive everyone you know. So you move on, rising again and again and again, changing and changeless. :Mickangel: Thank you, DSR.
Thanks, alle :hug: and you're very welcome. This is for every immortal, not just Mick. You're right, you can't share your biggest secret, but you also can't share yourself. And perhaps, after a few decades, you begin to forget just who you really are.
AussieJo wrote:Haunting and brilliant.....and yes, very sad. :hankie:

Well done, DS! :hug:

Thanks, AussieJo :hearts: Yes, life without love is indeed sad.
redwinter101 wrote:This is lovely - and melancholy and very, very Mick.

I loved the last line - just that chink of hope that keeps him going. For now. ;)

Red
Thanks, red :hug: This is a Mick that might have been. One that never found love with Beth or that lost her somehow. And so he wanders from lifetime to lifetime, alone.
NightAir wrote:So very sad. Always having to hide your true self. Always living a lie. Always leaving everything behind, again. Always searching for love.
This is haunting and beautiful. :hearts:
thanks, NightAir :hearts: Yes, it is sad that you can't be accepted for who you are. You can't let them know the real you for fear they'll hurt you. And when they get too close, it's time to move on. Again.
darkstarrising
View My Fanfic Index

jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Karen

Love the ambiance of this drabble.

The feel of being trapped by the very cycle that protects the immortal from discovery; the absence of roots and stability--but then there is a sliver of hope, a glimpse of redemption.

Lovely

:flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers:
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix
Moonlighter
Rogue vampire
Location: Found my nice soft place, snuggled up next to Mick in th-this fr-fr-frigid fr-fr-freezer...

Post by Moonlighter »

Oh, this was sad and very moving. What an excruciating burden to carry for eternity. :Mickangel:
Banner courtesy of the wonderfully talented, Moderator Most Awesome, soon-to-be-missed Phoenix!
jenstc2003
Rogue vampire

Post by jenstc2003 »

This is just wonderful!
Jen

Mick's Synful One
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

I love it when a favorite pops up to active topics again. Just stopping by for a melancholy re-read... perfect for this foggy morning.
fairytoes
Rogue vampire

Post by fairytoes »

Wonderful! Sad and :bmoon: :hankie: haunting - but wonderful. Thank you dsr! :flowers:
Wonderful Banner by Redwinter
Gorgeous Avi by Lilly
Thank you!
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

jen wrote:Karen

Love the ambiance of this drabble.

The feel of being trapped by the very cycle that protects the immortal from discovery; the absence of roots and stability--but then there is a sliver of hope, a glimpse of redemption.

Lovely

:flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers:
thanks, jen :hug: The curse of immortality is that you're frozen in time, when everyone around you changes, then dies. And so the immortal must move around and change identity, but as you say, having no roots, leaves them adrift. And then there is a sliver of hope.
Moonlighter wrote:Oh, this was sad and very moving. What an excruciating burden to carry for eternity. :Mickangel:
Thanks, Moonlighter :hug: If there is no hope, there is no reason to live, yet there must be times when facing eternity alone is daunting.
jenstc2003 wrote:This is just wonderful!
thanks, jenstc2003 :hug: Just a little glimpse through the eyes of an immortal.
allegrita wrote:I love it when a favorite pops up to active topics again. Just stopping by for a melancholy re-read... perfect for this foggy morning.
thanks, alle :hug: Sorry for the melancholy, :comfort2: but it's gloomy on the other coast as well. Here's hoping for sunshine tomorrow.
fairytoes wrote:Wonderful! Sad and :bmoon: :hankie: haunting - but wonderful. Thank you dsr! :flowers:
thanks, fairytoes :hug: Eternity alone is sad, but there is always hope that the solitude will someday end
darkstarrising
View My Fanfic Index

Return to “Darkstarrising's Office”