What do you use to make animated gifs from videos?

A mosaic of Moonlight fan art
diane31
Fledgling

What do you use to make animated gifs from videos?

Post by diane31 »

Hi :hug:
I'm asking because I haven't found anything that I am truly happy with. I've been using video snapshot wizard, which as the name indicates is not primarily geared at making gifs, but I found the quality of the pictures themselves better than with anything else I've tried (including Premiere). But I find it really inconvenient to use unless you're ok with vamps and humans alike always moving at vamp speed. So... for those of you who do it, how do you do it?
Thanks in advance! :hearts:
maggatha3
Ancient

Re: What do you use to make animated gifs from videos?

Post by maggatha3 »

:bump:
-It never ends well...
-Never?
Gorgeous avatar by our talented Lilly .
Banner by the amazing friend Hot Micks!!! .
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

Hi Diane,

I use hi-res screengrabs and then use the CompuServe gif function in Photoshop.

Red

Click here for my story index

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" - Emily Dickinson
HotMicks
Ancient

Post by HotMicks »

I do the same as Red (Photoshop) and I think most people do use still photos rather than video captures to create animated GIFs (it's one less step to do... you don't have to create the "stills" from the video in the first place if you use the screencaps someone else already created :thumbs: ). I use the ML Love and ML Forever screenshot albums a lot (thanks to both of those sites :rose: ).

To create an animation in Photoshop, just go to the "window" menu and select "animation" to reveal the animation tools. The help menu in Photoshop can explain more how to use this feature. I've only ever created animated smileys, not ML animations, but it was very easy for me to learn how to use this feature from the "help" instructions.

(Here's one I created for work :biggrin: : Image )

Alternatively, you can create them online (though with much less control and more limitations on how many still images you can use). One such site I've used before is:

http://picasion.com/

You just upload your 3-4 photos and pick a size and a speed from drop-down menus and voila, you've got an animated gif. I'm sure there are other sites ... just Google "animated gif."

:flowers: Hope this helps. One of the things I love about this board is how we all learn from each other. I have picked up so many new "skills" from this place. :yahoo: :cheer:
~ Hot Mick's Mistress of Chill

Return to “The Studio”