Season 2, ep 4 'Mirror' (PG13)

Tam
Logan's WoW nemesis

Season 2, ep 4 'Mirror' (PG13)

Post by Tam »

Rating : PG13
Spoilers: Ep 1-16 of Moonlight, season 1, previous chapters of 'Season 2'
Summary : Mick is asked to investigate suspect behaviour of a teen actress. Continued storyline of the Legion-plot.
First posted : ff.net, November 2008

Disclaimer : The characters are not mine, no money is being made and no infringement is intended.

Ep. 20 - Mirror

Previously on Moonlight:

The Mark of the Legion is grafittied over a painting. Josef Voice-Over: "The Legion is a human organisation of vampire hunters. They formed in Europe during the Dark Ages to protect their settlements. They formed the basis of the Inquisition, who would later become infamous for burning alleged witches and devil-worshippers at the stake. They started keeping records of vampire activity. They track us, study us...Every century or so has its own catalyst - a vampire that goes too far, a killing spree that goes out of hand...and the Legion may rise up and decimate us."

Mick at his desk, labelling and sorting pictures into a folder. Mick Voice-Over : You might think that being a vampire makes for exciting and action-filled nights. But when you are immortal, things get old pretty fast. I became a P.I. to help people, and sometimes, I'd like to think I really made a difference in their lives. But here in Hollywood, most of my clients are only looking for proof of infidelity so they can divorce their partners without a financial settlement. And decades of watching humans cheat on each other doesn't exactly strengthen your faith in relationships. Which is why I didn't expect my week to end as it did.

((Flash forward : Mick and Beth in intense embrace, naked. Mick opens his mouth, his fangs lengthening. He looks down at Beth with pale eyes.))

Mick voice-over: But I didn't know that yet when I took this case.
A woman enters the office. She looks very glamorous and is wearing a large handbag and oversized sunglasses. Her hair is stylishly cut and toned. She takes off her glasses, revealing a very young face. Mick offers her a chair and she sits down, setting the large handbag on her lap and almost disappearing behind it.
"Are you...?" he asks, looking at her questioningly.
"Yes," she says, "So I'd really appreciate your discretion."
"Of course. What can I do for you?" Mick asks.
"It's my sister, Michelle," the woman says. "As you probably know, we do everything together. We've always had this bond- I guess that's normal for twins, but in our line of work, even family ties can break easily when money and stress are involved. And lately, I've been getting the feeling that something's wrong. I've asked her about it, of course, but she insists everything is okay."
"So what makes you think it isn't?"
"Because she's lying to me," the woman says. "It's probably hard for an outsider to tell..."
Mick Voice-over: Except when you're a vampire.
"...but I just know."
"Do you have any idea what it could be?"
"No," the woman says with a sad look. "I trust her, and I feel terrible for coming here...but I am worried about her. If she's getting herself into trouble...A secret boyfriend…drugs...I want to know."
"I'll see what I can find out," Mick says.

A film-set. Several screens divide a large industrial hall into high school scenes: a classroom in one corner, a part of a hallway with a long row of lockers in another, a box of bathroom stalls. Each scene is rigged up with lights and cables and green screens in front of the windows. A group of young actors is sitting in the classroom. Among them, the woman who was in Mick's office, and her twin. A camera crew stands around them. A man in blue jeans and a t-shirt is holding a hand-lens and peering through it.
"Alright," he says loudly. "Remember your places everyone. This is how I want it to look after lunch. Back here in costume at 2!"
The actors get up, talking. Several women group together. They head toward the open doors of the studio. Outside, a large catering truck is waiting. Plastic camping tables and seats are set out for actors and crew. Michelle stays behind, taking out her cell phone. She sits down and uses a pen tool to type a message. Mick, wearing dark clothes and a baseball cap, watches her from a distance. Time passes. The other actors return from the catering truck and go and get changed. Michelle gets up and joins them. Mick follows her with his eyes and sees her go into the wardrobe department. She changes and returns to the set. They record several scenes- Mick watches them, looking bored.

((Fast motion camera – Mick’s wristwatch counts up to 6 pm. The actors move around on the scenes, cameras are rolling. Michelle is in almost every scene. When she isn't, she's sitting nearby, typing into the small keyboard of her mobile phone))

"That's a wrap for today, guys!" The director says, and the group breaks up. Michelle and her sister stand together. A young man walks up to them, kissing Michelle's sister. Michelle looks away until they are done, and the three of them walk over to wardrobe. The two women get changed. Mick walks up to the man.
"Hi, I'm from set security," he says, nodding at the man in greeting. "Are you here with someone?"
"Yeah," the man replies, looking a bit surprised. "I'm Thelsa's boyfriend. Are you new here or something?"
"Filling in for someone," Mick says, "on sick leave." He looks towards the dressing room.
"So, do you want to see my I.D. or something?" the man offers, narrowing his eyes and looking at Mick suspiciously. Mick looks back at him, frowning a little distractedly.
"Yes, please," he says, and accepts the man's opened wallet. While looking down on the I.D. card, Mick focuses on the voices inside the dressing room.

"Oh, Michelle, come on, it'll be fun! And Michael won't mind, really."
"No, thanks, I'd just...I'd rather not. I'm just really tired, you know?"
"It's just a dinner, you won't be home late.”
"I know, but...next time, okay?"
"Is it Michael? Would you rather make it a sister's night out? Like old times? Cooking, talking..."
"No, that's not it. I like Michael. You’re good together. I...just need some time on my own."
"Well, call me if you change your mind. You can always meet us there later."

The twins leave the dressing room and walk up to the men. Michelle is wearing an overly large knitted vest, rubbing her arms. Thelsa gives Mick a look, but doesn't show any signs of recognition.
"Something wrong?" she asks, looking at her boyfriend.
"No, no, it's just security," Michael replies. "But I'm clear, right?"
"Yeah," says Mick, looking at Michelle, breathing in deeply. She looks back at him and then averts her eyes. Mick realises that the other two are waiting for something, and hands Michael back his wallet. He gives them an awkward smile and leaves.

Mick's apartment. Mick is slouching on the couch. His baseball cap is lying on the table before him, together with a few pictures of Michelle on the set. Mick is staring into space, looking tired. Someone knocks on the door. He gets up and checks the monitor. It's Beth. He smiles and opens the door.
"Hi," Beth says cheerily, walking in. "Did you sleep well?"
"Actually, I was up all day," Mick replies, walking over to the table and picking up the pictures before Beth can look at them. She raises an eyebrow in surprise.
"A client," Mick says by way of explanation, "confidential."’
"Oh, someone I know?"
"Well, it's confidential," Mick says drily.
"So it is someone I know," Beth states. "Is she pretty?"
"Not really my type, she's..." Mick stops himself and looks at Beth, a smile forming on his face. "Don't trick me into telling you."
Beth grins deviously. "I'll find out one way or another. I worked at Buzzwire, remember? No secrets are safe for me."
"I remember," Mick says, smiling and putting his arms around her waist. "So I'd better distract you. How about dinner? I know a fancy place we can go, you can dress up, I watch you eat...you could wear that little black dress."

Beth smiles hesitantly and steps away from Mick's embrace. "Err...No, I couldn't, actually, which is why we should better skip dinner. How about a movie? There's this high school-flick on, kitschy, but fun."
Mick Voice-Over : Not more highschool!

Day time, the film studio. Michelle is sitting on a folding chair, consumed with her cell phone again. The actors around her are arriving back from lunch. Several of them are carrying plastic plates with snacks back inside and talking animatedly. Mick is sitting next to a group of reporters. He looks down at his notepad. Mick Voice-Over : I think my client was wrong. After shadowing her for a few days and nights, I have nothing on Michelle - apart from some teenage angst about wanting to be alone and an addiction to her cell phone. She doesn't go out partying; she's not doing any drugs. She's not meeting any boyfriends. For a child actress who has been working since she was five, she's almost too normal.

Michelle gets up, and Mick follows her with his eyes. She enters the ladies' room and Mick looks back at the rest of the set, putting his notepad into an inside pocket of his coat.

Suddenly, a girl comes running from the bathroom, panicking.
"There's something wrong with Michelle!" she yells, "She just collapsed! Help, somebody help!"
Mick looks up, alert, and hurries to the toilets. A few girls are standing in a circle around Michelle.
"Call 911," he says, "and make some room."
He kneels down next to Michelle, and listens carefully.

Mick Voice-Over : There's no pulse. She's gone into cardiac arrest.
He starts applying CPR, pressing down on her chest and listening for a heartbeat.

((Flashback: "Lunch, everyone!" The director calls. All actors leave the set, save Michelle, who takes out her mobile phone and sits down on a corner. // "Cooking, talking..." says Thelsa, looking at her sister. "I...just need some time on my own," Michelle says. // An apartment. Michelle's sitting on a couch, her legs crossed, a laptop resting on her lap. She is wearing a woollen vest and has a large blanket wrapped around her as well. Next to her is a bowl of crisps. She is reaching in and bringing crisps to her mouth absent-mindedly, looking at her screen. Several empty bags litter the floor. A view from the apartment from outside - it is dark. Mick is standing on the fire escape, looking in through the window. From where he is standing, he can't look onto her screen. Michelle gets up, putting the laptop down on the couch. She leaves the room. A close-up on the screen shows an online forum. A user comment displays crying smilies and a comment : '125 today'. Another user has posted a glamorous picture of a frail woman in a silk dress. Her arms are very thin. In the bathroom, a toilet flushes.))

The crowd around Mick and Michelle parts to make way for the medical staff. Their uniforms carry the film studio logo. Mick gets up and steps away from the actress to make room. The medics take out defibrillation pads. One of them sets to work while another looks at Mick. "If she comes to," Mick says, "ask her how long she's been bulimic."

The hospital. Thelsa is sitting in a chair in the waiting room. Mick approaches her carefully. Her eyes are red from crying.
"I'm sorry I wasn't able to find out before it happened," Mick offers.
"Mr St John, she would have died for sure if it hadn't been for you! The doctors say your intervention may have saved her life. How did you know what to do?"
"I had some medical training," Mick says simply. "Is there any news on her condition?"
"Not yet," Thelsa says. "But the doctors say she has a chance. I...I can't believe I didn't notice. She's my sister!"
"It's not your fault," Mick says. He hands her Michelle's cell phone. Thelsa looks down on the screen. Its internet history shows several pro-ana websites. "They exchange tips on how to hide it."
Thelsa frowns and lowers the phone.
"If she hates how she looks," she says, more to herself than to Mick, "what does that say about me? We are identical twins."
"Maybe she wanted to change, to be different," Mick says.
A nurse walks up to them. She addresses Thelsa. "We were able to stabilize her. It's too early to be sure if any brain damage has occurred, but she will live." Thelsa sighs with relief. Mick smiles warily, and turns to leave.

Beth's apartment. Mick is dressed up and looking impatient. He glances at the bathroom door.
"You do remember it starts at nine, right?" he says loudly.
"I'll be right out," Beth calls from behind the door.
Mick smirks and starts walking around in the living room, putting his hands in his pockets. He pulls out several gum wrappers, looks at them for a moment, and then decides to throw them away. He walks over to the kitchen and opens the drawer underneath the sink. He lifts the lid of the waste bin, and is about to throw the wrappers in as he sees something. Inside the bin are three cans of SlimFast Diet Shake. He looks over at the bathroom again.

Mick voice-over : Beth!

He moves towards it at full vamp speed. He tries the door handle. It's locked. He uses force, dislodging the hinges and pushing the door open. Beth stands in front of the mirror, wearing a black dress with its zipper closed halfway up. She is reaching behind her, tongue between her teeth, looking frustrated. Then she sees Mick, and the state of the door.
"Hey, what's wrong with you?" she says irritatedly. "I said I would be right out."
"I...er.." Mick stammers, "I couldn't wait."
Beth blushes and looks down at her feet. "This dress...I'm afraid I don't fit into it any more."
"You are beautiful," Mick says, crossing the distance between them with a few steps, and enclosing her in his arms. He hugs her tightly. "You are so beautiful," he repeats. He touches her back where the dress fails to cover her. She looks up at him, relieved and happy, and he bends to kiss her.
"Let's stay in," he whispers against her lips, "then you don't have to wear anything at all."
"What about the play?" she asks, pulling back a little to give Mick a flirtatious look.
"I've heard that Godot never shows up," Mick says, closing his eyes to take in her smell. "But we can always go tomorrow night to make sure."
Beth smiles up at him and takes his head in her hands, guiding him towards her lips.

Beth's bathroom floor. Two slender legs are stepping out of a little black dress, kicking it away with an elegant arch. A man's shirt drops to the floor. // Mick and Beth move together - she is trapped between Mick's body and the sink, wrapping her arms and one leg around his naked back. He takes hold of her leg, lifting her up slightly and pulling her closer to him, capturing her mouth in a kiss. // Mick throws his head back in ecstasy. His eyes are closed and he is breathing heavily as they move in unison, his mouth opened. His fangs lengthen as he nears his climax. He opens his eyes and looks down at Beth's naked shoulder and neckline. He sees his reflection in the mirror behind her. With visible effort he turns his head away from Beth and brings up his hand, biting down on the base of his thumb and squeezing his eyes shut. A small drop of blood slides down his wrist. Beth moans. //((fade to black))

A phone rings. Mick's hand reaches out for his pants, which lie discarded on the bathroom floor. Looking slightly dishevelled, his picks it up.
"Mick St John."
"It's Kostan. He's gone mad," a female voice says. "You'd better come before he does more damage." She hangs up.
Mick looks at Beth, who has picked up the dress and is holding it up to cover herself, looking flushed.
"I have to go," he says, "It's Josef. Something's wrong."
Beth's initial disappointment quickly fades and turns into worries. "Should I come?" she asks.
"No, it's not safe," Mick says resolutely, stepping into his trousers. He picks up his shirt, shrugging it on, and makes as if to leave, then looks back at Beth. He walks over to her and takes her into his arms. "I love you," he says, kissing her softly on the forehead. "I'll call you when I know more."
Beth nods silently.

Mick drives up to Josef's house. An ambulance is standing on the driveway. He parks his old black Mercedes next to it and gets out, hurrying to the entrance. He walks into the living room, past the bar. The smell is overwhelming, and Mick clasps a hand over his nose and mouth. He looks around. The floor is splattered with blood. Several women dressed in dark, skin-tight outfits are walking around carrying garbage bags and picking up bloody rags. Mick hears the sound of a zipper, and looks over at the bar, where he sees a Cleaner closing up a body bag. He briefly sees a face before the bag closes. The eyes of the dead woman are staring up to the ceiling. Her neck is torn. Two more body bags are lying next to the entrance. One of the large windows that look out over the pool are shattered, a chair is lying outside, covered in shards of glass. Bella, the head of the Cleaners, walks up to him.
"What happened here?" Mick asks, frowning.
"I don't know," Bella replies. "Kostan must have lost it. All I know is that our contact at the emergency hotline intercepted a call coming from his place. One of the humans must have dialled 911." She nods towards the body bags.
"911 is being tapped?" Mick asks incredulously.
"We trace back all calls coming from high profile vampire dwellings. It's nothing personal," Bella says businesslike. "Kostan's outside. My team has him surrounded, but dawn is breaking and I can't leave them out to burn." Her voice holds a clear threat.
"I'll talk to him," Mick says determinedly, "I'll get him inside."

Mick steps through the empty window frame, the glass grinding beneath his shoes. The sun is starting to rise above the hills, outlining the Hollywood letters in a pink-orange glow. He looks around, squinting against the light, and spots Josef sitting on a pool chair, his back turned at Mick. He is bent over, his hands covering his face. There is tension in his back. His shirt is stained with blood and sweat. Mick approaches him carefully.
"Josef?" he asks, bracing himself. Josef turns to face him, lowering his hands. His eyes are bloodshot, and four vertical scratches run down his face on each side. They close up and heal over in seconds. He looks at Mick. There's a mixture of anger and despair on his face. Despite the blood on him and the horrors inside of his apartment, he looks like a confused child.
"Have you done this?" Mick asks, gesturing back at the house and trying to keep accusation from his voice. Josef looks past his friend, to the Cleaners who are still busy in the living room.
"I didn't-" he breaks off and looks back at Mick. "-mean to," he finishes blankly. He breathes deeply, his nostrils flaring out. He gets up from the chair and narrows his eyes. They shift colour.
"You have her all over you," he states dangerously.
"Beth and I..." Mick starts, but Josef holds up his hand, silencing him. He takes a deep breath.
"Just go, Mick. I can deal with this."
"Yeah, like you dealt with your freshies inside," Mick replies angrily. "Josef, tell me what happened!"
Josef grimaces, turning away from Mick. He closes his eyes and lifts his face up to the sun, unflinching at its warmth. A tear slides down his face.

"The Legion killed Sarah Whitley," he says finally.
wollstonecraft61
Rogue vampire

Re: Season 2, ep 4 'Mirror' (PG13)

Post by wollstonecraft61 »

Mick and Beth finally do the deed! And poor Josef! He has lost his precious Sarah!!! :hankie:
Banner by the beautiful Alyssa Banner by the EXTREMELY talented eris
Tam
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by Tam »

wollstonecraft61 wrote:And poor Josef! He has lost his precious Sarah!!! :hankie:
I know :( I regretted that a lot a few months later, when my Sarah-muse hit me and I got more appreciation for her character. But in this story, I want to make Josef more and more isolated from the things that bind him to mortals/humanity (dundundun), making him a more dangerous adversary to the Legion- and sadly that included hurting him on a personal level.
wollstonecraft61
Rogue vampire

Post by wollstonecraft61 »

It works. I never envisioned Sarah having a real role on the show, just a liability. I think you went in a believable, however sad, direction.
Banner by the beautiful Alyssa Banner by the EXTREMELY talented eris
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by francis »

Great story. So Mick is worried that Beth is dieting. And his best friend lost it over Sarah's death. Oh, this is getting good.
Tam
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by Tam »

francis wrote:Oh, this is getting good.
Thanks. Personally, I think it's the weakest chapter and I considered rewriting a couple of scenes. I might still do that at some point :)
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

`Tam:

This is great!!!!

:flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers:
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix

Return to “Season 2”