redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

4. Terce (nine a.m.) - PG

Post by redwinter101 »

Title: Terce
Author: redwinter101
Rating: PG
Disclaimer: I don't own Moonlight or any of its characters
Note: this is the fourth story in the Divine Office series - there is a separate A/N here explaining a bit more.

It's 9 a.m. on a very specific day - the same day as Mick is waking up at the start of FtP, enjoying those pillows and blankets and making his longed-for coffee. So while he was doing all that, precisely what were Beth and Josef up to?

*************************************************************************************************************

For Anthony

--- Terce ---

"Beth. How lovely to see you. Thank you for coming." Josef's invitation, delivered by hand the previous day, had left little room for refusal. The feeling of being summoned rankled but when the limo pulled up outside her apartment block, curiosity had trumped dignity.

"I was expecting to meet at your office." Her eye drawn by the stark decor and breathtaking view, Beth forced herself not to gape. A cast around the room took in quiet, background bustle, purposeful, discreet, and underneath it all, the smell of wealth, exclusivity, success.

Her reverie was broken by Josef's guiding arm at her elbow, "Ah. The office is still… out of commission. I hope you don't mind the venue." A twinkle of satisfaction; he knew the capacity of his home to impress. Beth took a seat and waited, lips clamped shut, determined to make him do the talking. Her knowledge of Josef might be limited, but she knew enough to assume this was no idle, social occasion.

Fragrant coffee and delicate pastries arrived and Josef reached for a cup and began to pour, "Shall I be mother?" He was amused both at his role as mein host and at Beth's obvious unease. She had no idea why she was there or the nature of this particular game; the feeling of being one pace behind unsettled her and delighted him.

"You cover lots of terrible crimes - the things people do to each other. Rape and murder, for example. Horrific, wouldn't you agree?" Beth nodded her non-committal acquiescence over the rim of the steaming demitasse, wondering if this was all some elaborate stratagem to get her to cover a story. Josef waited for her to take a sip, "I don't know how much Mick has told you about Coraline."

She winced at the scald of too-hot coffee as she gulped. "That she's gone; that it wasn't meant to be."

Josef smiled, a slight shake of his head, "Always so immediate. I didn't mean her most recent foray into Mick's life."

"Oh. Well… I know enough." There was a hint of bravado to her words; she knew as much as Mick had been prepared to tell her and she had been prepared to ask. The darkness that pressed in on them whenever Coraline's name was mentioned, the heavy sadness in Mick's voice, the regret that pulled him from her; she chose to push them away. Perils for a rainy day.

"Really? Well then you have me at a disadvantage; I always feel there's an awful lot between them that I don't know." Cursing her too-quick response, unsure if she was being baited or berated, Beth held her tongue.

Josef pressed on, "As I said, rape and murder."

"Rape and murder? I don't understand."

He fixed her, eyes narrowing, as he weighed how far to go. "That's what she did to him and he's spent the last half century trying to find a way to deal with it."

"Who? I don't…"

"She penetrated his body without his consent, what would you call it?" His rising cadence betrayed exasperation at her inability to keep up, but like so many of his questions, he neither wanted nor expected an answer, "Then she sucked the blood from his body while he fought for his life."

The pieces started to fall into place, "Mick told me he went to bed a happily-married man and woke up a monster."

Josef rose and sauntered to the window, back turned, his soft tone forcing Beth to crane to make out his words, "Mick is many things; a monster is not one of them."

"I don't need you to tell me that," she snapped, a flare of anger bringing her cup clattering down to its saucer.

"But above all, he is a practical man. He found a way, bit by bit, to go on. That's the great challenge of immortality - finding something to… keep oneself occupied. He pushed away the 'why' whenever he could and concentrated on survival. Existence. Persistence. Making his way in the world," an airy waft of his hand, "and all that jazz." He took a sip from his glass, fully aware that his audience was within his thrall. "Then everything changed when he had to decide to take a life, his wife's life, in order to save a child. And finally, he had his 'why'."

"I know the story, Josef. I don't see-"

"You know it but do you understand it?" Josef interrupted, one eyebrow raised in query. "I wish he'd found his reasons… elsewhere," he looked her up and down with a hint of sneer, "but that's not my call. He saved you, killed for you, protected you and still left you free to live your life, fall in love with the estimable Mr. Lindsey and never asked you for anything in return." He couldn't contain a snort of laughter, "Sounds like I'm nominating him for sainthood, doesn't it? Well I think he's a fool but he's my friend so I put up with it." Another swig smoothed his pained frown.

"I don't know why you're telling me all this. I-"

"I haven't finished," his glare silenced her. "So the unfortunate Mr. Lindsey finds himself on the wrong end of a gangbanger's bullet and you," Josef took a deep breath, setting down his drink and turning to face her, "you ask Mick to repeat what was done to him." His words were deliberate, controlled, his stillness a sharp contrast to Beth's agitation as she fidgeted with the hem of her shirt. Thoughts of vengeance, an unpredictable friend's punishment for her unintended cruelty, tightened the knot of fear in her belly. "It makes me wonder if you know him at all."

"You weren't there, Josef," her voice dropped to a whisper.

"So I'm wrong? You didn't ask him to turn your soon-to-be-ex-boyfriend?" There was a snap of disdain in Josef's voice and he began to pace, warming to his task. "And then, to top it all off nicely, in your 'grief' you throw Mick's own existence back in his face. 'Why do you go on living?' you cry." His whining mimicry stirred her anger but the knowledge that Mick must have recounted her words verbatim kept her silent. "The very question he's been asking himself every day for the last 55 years. Grief can excuse many things but…"

"I understand he's your friend, Josef, but this is none of your business. Besides, I've seen him since then and he's fine. We're fine." She couldn't help but wonder who she was trying to convince.

"Ah yes. The unfortunate Mr. Lindsey's-"

"Stop calling him that!"

A nod, a smile, "Very well, Josh's funeral. A touching scene. When all thoughts were of the dearly departed." He turned away to hide his sly smile as he sensed her shame. "Of course Mick's 'fine' as you put it. As I said, he's a practical man. Right at this very moment I'm sure he's enjoying his newly-rediscovered humanity and blissfully ignoring the fact that he's dying. And dying alone."

That stopped her cold; all thoughts of evasion disappeared, replaced with a panicky need for information, "Dying?" The quaver in her voice betrayed her fear, to Josef's satisfaction. He hadn't been sure he was on the right course until that very moment.

"Isn't that what a terminal illness is? The knowledge that in a very short period of time the body will die? In Mick's case that means he'll become a vampire again but I assure you, it is as significant and meaningful to him as to any other human." He glided closer, "So here you sit, wracked with guilt because your every thought is of him rather than Josh. Every time I mention Mick's name I can hear it, you know. Your pulse picks up, your breathing quickens, and," he darted forward, bending over her, inhaling deeply, "ah, the sweet scent of desire." He straightened, peering down at her, "So tell me, Beth, why are you here, going through the motions of a grief you don't really feel, while the man you love-"

"I loved Josh. No matter what you think, I loved him," she looked down at her hands, her naked ring finger.

Josef relented, taking a seat next to her, his voice softened with care, "While the man you love is across town counting each precious day, wishing he could spend it with you."

For the first time Beth saw the concern behind the steel. Angry protest died in her throat and she looked him straight in the eye, holding his gaze, seeking his understanding, "Thank you for the coffee, Josef." She rose, as sedately as she could manage and left without a backward glance.

He watched her measured stride to the door, calling after her, "Any time."

She managed to hold her tears of anger and humiliation until she was safely cocooned in the limo, sweeping along the drive, out of sight. She wanted to tell him he was wrong, to throw his judgement back in his face, but she couldn't. She couldn't lie to him any more than she could continue to lie to herself.

There was only one place she wanted to be today.

Taking a deep breath, smoothing greasy palms across her jeans she pulled out her phone and dialled, biting down the icy blast of fear that swelled in her throat. What if he didn't answer? What if she had passed the point of forgiveness?

One ring.

But she knew, as she'd always known, that point didn't exist for Mick.

Two rings.

Perhaps that was why she'd pushed him so hard, hurt him so carelessly; because she knew he'd take it and come back for more. The crushing realisation of how much she'd taken for granted, of the precious days she'd wasted, and of the limitlessness of his care for her.

Three rings.

Because devotion has no boundaries.

Because he loved her.

"Hey, Beth."

"Hey. I was wondering if we could meet. Lunch, maybe?" She had her answer as she heard his smile.

Today was a new beginning; today she would start to get to know Mick St. John.

Click here for my story index

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" - Emily Dickinson
mitzie
Courtesan

Re: Terce (nine a.m.) - PG

Post by mitzie »

Excellent story! The conversation between Beth and Josef was so immediate, urgent and intense. Beth, being so clueless by denying her own feelings for Mick. Using him in a way because she took it for granted that he would always be there. This story is another one of your gems that just has me saying Wow!!!! :yahoo: :yahoo: :hyper2: :hyper2: :hyper2: :Mickangel: :sigh: :angel: :yahoo: :yahoo: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :thud: :thud: :thud: :thud: :notworthy: :hearts: :flowers:

mitzie :mooncat:
AussieJo
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by AussieJo »

Ah Red, :hug:
This was great.
You filled the blank in the storyline in your usual inimitable style!
Josef spoke what we all felt, I certainly wanted to kick Beth up the backside!

Red, with all the exciting news about Alex, the movie coming out and the lead in H5-0,
the Moonlight universe is still a place where I love to be! :friends:
jenstc2003
Rogue vampire

Post by jenstc2003 »

As always, freaking BRILLIANT Red! And so very realistic. I can SOO see J doing something like this, too.
Jen

Mick's Synful One
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

Thank you, mitzie. :hearts: You can't beat a wow! :heart:

AussieJo, oh me too! All the way. I'm ridiculously excited about Alex's new projects (surprise!) AND I'm still entranced by everything Moonlight. (And I wanted to give Beth a kick too :snicker: )

jenstc2003, so great to see you, sweetie. Thanks so much for the lovely comment.

Red

PNWgal
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by PNWgal »

Now THIS made me smile, because I can so see this. :hearts:

Josef is nothing if not crafty, and I can absolutely see him calling Beth on the carpet for her treatment of Mick. He reminds me a bit of a cobra here...beautiful and deadly, something you don't ever want to remove your eyes from for fear he'll bite.

Beth may be tough, but she is no match for a 400-year old vampire:
He was amused both at his role as mein host and at Beth's obvious unease. She had no idea why she was there or the nature of this particular game; the feeling of being one pace behind unsettled her and delighted him.
Josef pulls no punches here, and lets Beth know exactly how he feels about what she asked of Mick when Josh was dying - to perpetuate the same type of crime that was done to him. He's angry and Beth knows it.
"I haven't finished," his glare silenced her. "So the unfortunate Mr. Lindsey finds himself on the wrong end of a gangbanger's bullet and you," Josef took a deep breath, setting down his drink and turning to face her, "you ask Mick to repeat what was done to him." His words were deliberate, controlled, his stillness a sharp contrast to Beth's agitation as she fidgeted with the hem of her shirt. Thoughts of vengeance, an unpredictable friend's punishment for her unintended cruelty, tightened the knot of fear in her belly. "It makes me wonder if you know him at all."
Yet underneath the anger, the thoughts of vengeance, Josef can't hide his affection for Mick and his suffering, and his reason for summoning Beth becomes all too clear - to give her the push she needs to take that first step towards Mick.
Beautiful line...perfect summary.

Thank you for this. :hug:

Banner by the talented GuardianAngel

"It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." - George Eliot

"The dogs may bark, but the caravan passes on." - old Arab proverb

"Do the best you can do. Love many. Trust few." - Jack Ingram
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Everything Red writes is so classic and this is predictably fabulous!!!

For tea today, Red has served up a much deserved helping of Beth's getting called on her insensitivities to Mick by Josef.

Beth was a total...not nice person to Mick in those episodes and even though she was going thru a lot and Mick, being the sweetheart that he was, just took it, I always wanted to see more of an acknowledgment or realization of what she put Mick thru. This fills in the blank perfectly. Of course, Josef would know. Even if Mick didn't tell him, he would,,,nose out the facts.

Lovely new story in an amazing new series! Thank you.

:hearts: :flowers: :hearts: :flowers: :hearts: :flowers:
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

PNWgal, I'm so happy this made you smile! And I love your description of Josef - beautiful and deadly. Perfect.

jen, :blushing: thank you so much. I love that you're enjoying this as a series; it's a challenge as the stories are unconnected, but I'm happy with how this Moonlight "day" is working out so far.

Red

GuardianAngel
Courtesan

Post by GuardianAngel »

I doubt Josef would go through this trouble for anyone but Mick. He's testing those waters, judging if Beth is worthy and nudging her in the right direction. But first he has to make her see things from his perspective - the one where Mick's too good for her. :teeth:

The description of Mick's devotion at the end made me think of his telling her on the rooftop that he could never hate her. I think that Beth does, at times, take that for granted.

I want to give Josef a great big hug about now. :heart:
Moonlightsonata
Rogue vampire

Post by Moonlightsonata »

Thank you Red. Great story and I really could see Josef doing this. I always thought it was such a shame that Mick and Beth didn't get together sooner while he was still human. Although she was still in mourning for Josh, she did treat Mick badly at the beginning. Josef knew that and called her on it. Thanks again.
Thank you Coco for the lovely banner.
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

GA, I'm sure Josef would always appreciate the hug. :smooch: I agree about Beth taking Mick for granted sometimes - and also just not understanding what being a vampire meant to Mick.

MS, :giggle: Mick had only been human for 6 days at this point and I was trying to provide an explanation of how that lunch at the beach came about so quickly. ITA though, at the beginning, even the depths of grief don't excuse some of the things Beth said to Mick. Thanks for reading. :ysmile:

Red

wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

I am sure he LOVED this... how could he not? :rose: :rose:

I am grateful for it. You are correcting a few irksome faux pas from the show (again!!!!! :smooch: ). Like Beth's odd about-face. Her casualness with her change of heart. Her sudden insight into Mick's feelings for her. And her willingness to go all-in at the picnic, and after. Even her BFF moment with Josef regarding the photog in the next ep. They have already HAD a moment, apparently. :biggrin:

And what a moment it was! :happysigh: What I love most about it is that even with Mick not in the action here, and this being purportedly about Mick and Beth advancing THEIR relationship, this is very much a Mick and Josef story too.

And Josef, as the cat playing with the canary, is always a joy. :snicker: :clapping:
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

Oh, *sniffle*. :smooch: :smooch: :smooch: :smooch:

And yeah, Mick and Josef all the way.

:flowers: :flowers:

Red

(I've run out of words so I'm making the smilies do the work.)

darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

red,

This series is just so enthralling, each story giving us a deeper look into a character or a moment. 'Terce' does both.

You've filled in the blank between the parting at the end of TMC and the beach in FTP. So just how did that meeting come about? Your answer is perfect - Josef. The one person who understands Mick's complexity and just how much regaining his humanity means to him. The one person who loves Mick as much as Beth does.

Josef is a master manipulator - he 'requests' Beth's presence
The feeling of being summoned rankled
but that's in fact what he's done - to confront the human who has caused his friend so much pain and seems oblivious to it. Thats' something that rankles him.

The way you have him put her at a disadvantage is masterful - she's on his turf, on his terms, and even the social pleasantries are laced with the disdain he feels for her. He continues to put her on the defensive culminating with a discussion of how what Beth asked Mick to do to Josh is what Coraline did to Mick - take his life and turn him into something he never wanted to be.

Little by little you have Josef force Beth to face the truth, as ugly as it is, that she's hurt Mick badly, after all he's done for her and feels for her...But this is the most telling:
"You know it but do you understand it?" Josef interrupted, one eyebrow raised in query. "I wish he'd found his reasons… elsewhere,"

With him. With Josef. Instead, Mick has squandered his love on an unappreciative human.

As different as they are, Beth and Josef share one thing in common - love for Mick.

In the end, Josef succeeds in making Beth understand what she's done, setting her on a course to strengthen her relationship with Mick. One has to wonder, though, just how much stepping aside cost him.
"Well I think he's a fool but he's my friend so I put up with it." Another swig smoothed his pained frown.
But he does
Anthony would be proud. :rose:
darkstarrising
Love – the universal language, the story of Moonlight
View My Fanfic Index

Thanks to the talented and generous Phoenix for my beautiful banner!
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

redwinter101 wrote:Oh, *sniffle*. :smooch: :smooch: :smooch: :smooch:

And yeah, Mick and Josef all the way.

:flowers: :flowers:

Red

(I've run out of words so I'm making the smilies do the work.)

Well, those little suckers really oughta earn their keep every now and again... I mean, they get to see, and appear along side, Mick pics for free and all... :biggrin:
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)

Return to “The Divine Office”