Adrift in the Dark (In Between 4 and 5, PG)

redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Re: Adrift in the Dark (In Between 4 and 5, PG)

Post by redwinter101 »

Somethign struck me this time round - the importance in your stories of dreams, both literal dreams and hopes for the future. The car journey back to LA from the motel with Beth seems like a dream interlude here, a precious moment of comfort and calm for Mick before the repercussions of what's happened begin to take their toll.

His dreams and Beth's are so important - revealing the past and foreshadowing the future, feeding into the conscious actions each chooses to take. And here, in another heartbreaking conversation, we find out more about the day to day agony of Elaine's life. Having read through to the end of the series, this episode is all the more poignant for how desolate she truly was at this point.

But then, of course, fate intervenes for all of them.

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Red

Click here for my story index

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" - Emily Dickinson
Shadow
Courtesan

Post by Shadow »

It was so interesting what you said about the dreams, Red! Until you wrote that I hadn't actually realized how important (or how prevalent!) dreams were in this series.

I had not ever thought of the car journey back to LA being a kind of dream interlude either, but I really like that idea. There were so many missing scenes in Fever that I desperately wanted to see . . . but that one most of all . . . .
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

Well, if you ever wanted to write any more of those missing scenes, there's a captive audience right here. :yes: :yes:

Red

Click here for my story index

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" - Emily Dickinson
Shadow
Courtesan

Post by Shadow »

redwinter101 wrote:Well, if you ever wanted to write any more of those missing scenes, there's a captive audience right here. :yes: :yes:
:biggrin: I will have to keep that in mind . . .
maggatha3
Ancient

Post by maggatha3 »

Would you believe it? I actually made it back to my reading ritual, and just watched Fever a while ago before reading your interlude. I know I have over-commented in that In between :snicker: , and it is actually one I love and almost know by heart. Just...tonight I was so overwhelmed with the scene in Mick's car, while Leni was driving. Such intimacy, such easiness between Mick and Beth. Both in bad shape, but finding refuge in each other's arms, and oh, it was so wonderful that Mick, in his fever, could warm Beth up with his body closeness. I would have expected them both to have beautiful dreams, but...I guess their minds were troubled for such a delight.

And I was so sad about Elaine... not good for her to compare her relationship with her husband to Mick and Beth's intense bond.

My Sire :rose:
-It never ends well...
-Never?
Gorgeous avatar by our talented Lilly .
Banner by the amazing friend Hot Micks!!! .
Shadow
Courtesan

Post by Shadow »

How delightful to see you back here, Maggatha! I do love that you picked out that one scene in the car . . . to me, it was such a conspicuously "missing" scene in the show, and I wanted so much to know how they had gotten back to L.A. and what had happened along the way . . .

Wouldn't it have been lovely if Fever had been a two-hour show? :melts:
Marigold
Courtesan

Post by Marigold »

This was another awesome chapter, Shadow! :hearts: :hug: I love how you alternated Mick's current situation with flashbacks.

The events in Fever were life-changing for both Beth and Mick. I've always wondered what else happened that we were not shown. Now, thanks to you, I know! :twothumbs: I enjoyed reading about how Beth "stopped" Mick during the feeding, and about how Mick slept and healed for the better part of eight days. [ETA: I forgot to mention how much I loved the car scene! :happysigh: ]

I really like your idea that Mick's body temperature was hot. I'd never thought of this, but it makes perfect sense. It was so nice that Mick was able to keep Beth warm... :melts:

Another thing I liked was how you mentioned other characters (Rosie, Rebecca, Tyler). Even though these people are just briefly mentioned, they help to create a backstory for Mick. Speaking of which, I loved the paragraph about Mick's war experience.

I'm so sad for poor Elaine. :hankie: Being rejected by Kevin was awful, and it was made even worse by the fact that Beth accepted Mick. :Mickangel: I hope we see Elaine again. :fingerscrossed:

Thank you, Shadow! :rose: See you tomorrow! :wave:
Fantastic banner by Kath40! Thank you!
Shadow
Courtesan

Post by Shadow »

So glad you liked this one, Marigold! And that you liked the flashbacks mixed in with this interval -- there were so many "missing scenes" during Fever. :sigh:

It's so great that you liked the little mentions of the other characters! I was hoping that would make Mick's backstory seem a bit richer. They'll all turn up again at some point . . . and Elaine will definitely be back.

Thank you so much. :hug:

Return to “In Between”