Do vampires have souls? (PG-13)

Luxe de Luxe
Sire

Re: Do vampires have souls? (PG-13)

Post by Luxe de Luxe »

redwinter101 wrote:Luxe, I can't see Mick as being anything other than Catholic (there were SO many hints to that effect) and I think the amount of time he spends brooding, this was bound to come up eventually. Plus this came from a story where he'd been lying staked for four days, so time wasn't an issue....

Red
I agree.... he has Catholic schoolboy guilt all over him.
Banner by the talented Hot Micks
Moonlighter
Rogue vampire
Location: Found my nice soft place, snuggled up next to Mick in th-this fr-fr-frigid fr-fr-freezer...

Post by Moonlighter »

redwinter101 wrote:Very thought-provoking, Carol. I agree about the lack of a soul being a get-out in Buffy - I think it's one of the reasons why Mick's struggles were so engaging. He had that human and spiritual part to him that, at times, was simply overcome by the physical nature of being a vampire, with all the ensuing angst and self-loathing.

Poor baby :comfort: . Without a soul, he wouldn't have cared about the bad things he'd done. And you're right, much as Josef describes humans as food, he has his scruples too and they are based on more than just expediency - they come from a moral centre and I think a soul is as good a description of that as anything.

Red
I wanted to make sure I read all the comments on this because I knew someone would point this fact out. Poor baby is right -- that Mick even doubts that he has a soul is indicative that he indeed has one, because as you stated, if he was without one, he wouldn't care about what he'd done in the past. I never watched Buffy, but I can see everyone's point that vampires not having a soul is sort of a cop-out for behaving badly. There is always a choice, no matter if you're human or vampire.

Lovely little thought-provoking piece here, Red.
:heart:
Banner courtesy of the wonderfully talented, Moderator Most Awesome, soon-to-be-missed Phoenix!
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

Thanks, Moonlighter - yet more proof that I spend way too long thinking about this stuff. :roll:

Red

Click here for my story index

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" - Emily Dickinson
Moonlighter
Rogue vampire
Location: Found my nice soft place, snuggled up next to Mick in th-this fr-fr-frigid fr-fr-freezer...

Post by Moonlighter »

redwinter101 wrote:Thanks, Moonlighter - yet more proof that I spend way too long thinking about this stuff. :roll:

Red
Hmmm, no more than I do. I just can't write it down as eloquently as you do.
Banner courtesy of the wonderfully talented, Moderator Most Awesome, soon-to-be-missed Phoenix!
one.zebra
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by one.zebra »

They do in my world.....
Banner and avatar by Twilightdew!

Travelling 33rpm in an iPod world
selene.sbp
Kostan Industries intern

Post by selene.sbp »

redwinter101 wrote:But Limbo was a place of hope too, where the soul dreamt of paradise and waiting sinners were beguiled by the promise of atonement. Everlasting peace beckoned.

But do vampires have souls? It was a question of faith on which Mick now had plenty of time to reflect. He had been brought up to believe in the sanctity of the soul above all else; but if the soul was the source of life and he no longer lived could he still have a soul?

He felt joy; he felt pain; he loved; he feared; if he had no soul then he was truly forsaken.

Wow Redwinter, I think this thinking that you do is very interesting.
Mick always refused to abandon his humanity, he refuses to drop into the darkness of your new nature ...

Mick is a very special vampire, he has very clear limits about right and wrong, he can love and he is able to give his life for that love ... but mostly he has something that is only when one has soul. Compassion.

Mick tries to atone for his past sins, he tries to open the doors of the cage in which his soul is locked when he was turned. He wants to deserve it...and the final reason for this may be the love

Your story is an interesting way to better understand Mick, thanks you Red

Kisses

P.S Excuse me my grammar, I hope you understand me
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Selene, what a beautiful image--Mick struggling to unlock the cage in which his soul has been captured. I don't think his soul is caught--he demonstrates over and over again that he truly does have a soul, and a beautiful one at that. But I do think he feels his soul has been captured by the monstrosity of being a blood-sucking beast. And that the key to the cage may very well be Beth's love. :hearts:

Compassion is exactly the right word. I loved your comment! :rose: :hug:
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

ML, :smooch:

one.zebra, :thumbs: I agree, my dear, I agree.

selene, what a beautiful comment. Thank you so much.

alle, agreed on ALL counts. :rose:

Red

jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

I love this one. Our Moonlight vampires have souls. Absolutely.

But Catholics do not have the market cornered on introspective brooding.

Trust me.

:flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers:
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

:giggle:

I agree, Jen. Plenty of brooding to go around...

Red

Return to “Drabbles”