Twists of Fate - Chapter 8 (PG-13)

francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Twists of Fate - Chapter 8 (PG-13)

Post by francis »

Betaed by redwinter101
Disclaimer: I don't own Josh, or Beth, or Mick, or anything in this fic, but I like to play with them, so bear with me.

Josh tries to find out Morgan's motives, and gets more but not what he wanted.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

A knock on Josh’s door told him his visitor had arrived. He led Morgan Vincent to a seat and took his place behind the desk. He decided to wait for her to speak first, maybe that would make her nervous and he would get some reaction out of her. But she was cold as ice, just sat there, smiled at him and waited.

He finally had to start the game. He didn’t have all day.

„Ms. Vincent, thank you for coming. Your photo actually helped us a lot in the trial against Mr. Fayed. I asked you to come here because I’m curious. How did you know back then that we were searching for Jack Toland? It wasn’t made official until the trial started again.“

She cocked her head to the side and gave him one of those dazzling smiles. „Glad to be of service, Mr. Lindsey. It was a contact at Buzzwire who gave me the information. I work for them from time to time.“

He was electrified. He never would have thought about a connection between Morgan and Beth.

„Can you give me a name?“

„Am I in trouble?“ Her voice was hesitant, faltering. There was fear, apprehension. He had her.

„Not really. I’m just curious because that information was confidential. It bugs me that an internet news agency had it.“

„It wasn’t official, and they didn’t use the information.“

He was impressed. She held her ground.

„Why did they give it to you in the first place?“

„She just needed to talk to someone.“ A slip. Her contact was a woman.
Morgan realized she had revealed something, hesitated, then went on. „She knew about the Fayed trial and was excited about the prospect of it going further. I was only there to give her material for another story.“

„And how did she know?“

„I don’t know. Maybe there’s a leak in your department.“

„So she must have had a photo of Jack Toland. Otherwise you wouldn’t have recognized him.“

„I’m a photographer, I see patterns. She had a photo of a business meeting between Fayed and lots of others. Toland was only one of them.“

„And you recognized him in beach trunks and from a distance?“

„As I said, I’m a photographer, I remember every face I see.“

He leaned forward, putting his hands on the desk. „Ms. Vincent, I need to know who gave you the information that we were searching for Toland. Because, frankly, I also suspect that there is a leak in my office, and this could have serious consequences.“

She licked her lips, then took her lower lip between her teeth. She looked adorable. He knew he was putting a lot of pressure on her, but he needed to know what her agenda was.

„Mr. Lindsey, you are putting me into a very difficult situation. I promised not to tell. I only gave you the photos because I thought it might help your case. If I give up my source, I will never work for Buzzwire again.“

„I understand. But if you don’t want to tell, don’t be surprised when I try other ways of finding out.“

She nodded and started to get up.

On the spur of the moment he asked, „Would you like to have lunch with me? Tomorrow?“

She looked up, surprised and wary. „You only want to butter me up to give you my source.“

He tried not to smile. She might have hit nearer than he cared to admit. But there was more. He found her intriguing; He wanted to talk to her, maybe spar some more.

„It’s fun to butter you up. So, would you?“

„Okay. There’s this really nice french restaurant I like. Maison Robert, on Mulholland Drive. You know it?“

„Never been there, but I’ll find it. Is 12.30 okay?“

„I’ll be there. Good bye, Mr. Lindsey.“

He led her to the elevator, said a quick good-bye and turned around. Kevin came from the copier and saw them. „She’s a real looker, isn’t she?“ he smirked.
„First of all, she’s a witness who doesn’t talk.“ Josh was surprised at himself when he realized he was angry. And not only at Morgan, but at Kevin, too. But he had no time to dwell on why he was angry. He had work to do.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Morgan Vincent was fashionably late. He had taken a table for two in a secluded corner on the patio, away from the street and the wind. He pulled back her seat, and while she studied the menu he admired the view. She was a classic beauty, dark hair, only a hint of tan, stylish clothes. Today she was wearing more make-up than when they met at his office, blood red lipstick, a hint of kohl, bringing out her dark eyelashes.

She ordered a dish that he couldn’t even pronounce, something French. „You speak french?“

„Yes, I learned it at high school and spent a few months in France.“

He had never been to Europe, but loved history, so he was curious. They talked about her portfolio, about French cathedrals and the landscape of Burgundy, about the morning light in Provence. That is, she talked and he listened, mesmerized by the way she was able to convey pictures with words. She was animated, full of energy.

She must have realized the effect she had on him, because she stopped describing the ruins of the ancient Roman theatre in Orange. She cocked her head, smiled and said, „Are you interested in me?“

He swallowed. „I have a girlfriend.“

„As if that ever stopped someone.“ She looked at him playfully.

He looked away. Was he? Interested, that is. He wasn’t sure. He had lots of friends, male and female, colleagues, his and Beth’s. But he wasn’t attracted to them. Morgan was – different, like she had a whole world behind her words. Without even trying she had a wisdom in her observations as though she had lived more than one life. And she was seriously sexy. Beth was kind of bland when she didn’t make an effort, in practical clothes, jeans and a blouse, hair just stashed away from her face with a clasp. She knew how to dress up, and she was fun, and they had lots of common interests, especially their work with crime and justice, but sometimes he had the uneasy feeling there was something missing.

Morgan was still waiting for a reaction. He shook his head. „Sorry, spaced out for a moment.“

She smiled, a dazzling, almost triumphant, but friendly, understanding smile. „It’s okay. Sorry. I won’t bother you if you have a girlfriend.“

He grinned. „But you’d try if I hadn’t?“

She looked at her watch. „I have to go.“

He was satisfied that she changed the subject right at that moment. It gave his pride a boost; it was the only answer he needed. After paying for their lunch he helped her into her jacket and guided her through the labyrinth of chairs and tables towards the entrance.

„Thank you for the conversation.“ he said, trying to sound professional and neutral. „We have to do this again some time.“

„Yeah,“ she said, distracted, searching for her car keys. „Maybe. Bye, Mr. Lindsey.“

„Josh,“ he insisted.

„Bye, Josh.“

She smiled, just a glance over her shoulder, then hurried to her car and got inside. He stood there, hands in his pockets, until she pulled away. Then he walked to his own car, grinning like an idiot. Morgan was something else. He felt like he was being drawn into a spider’s web, but it was fun and exciting. As long as he knew what he really wanted, there was no danger of being trapped.

But he still hadn’t found out who her contact was.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

link to chapter 9: viewtopic.php?f=75&t=548
Last edited by francis on Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Raven
Fledgling

Re: Twists of Fate - Chapter 8 (PG-13)

Post by Raven »

Undercurrents of Coraline...makes up for her absence in the show (not that she was missed by me. :lol: ) Love the splash of color you use...She's a dark beauty, dark eyes, dark hair, a dark presence...blood red lips.
She manipulates Josh pretty well. Being human certainly does not make her less of a vampire...
Great update francis.
Thank you TugaFanatic for my brilliant avi.
Thank you moonnoir for my wonderful banner.
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

If Mick was totally out of his league with Coraline, Josh is even more so!

Mick had internal resources that enabled him to finally recover himself from the snare but I don't think Josh has a chance. Maybe Josh is stronger than I think he is.

Absolutely intriguing!

:hearts: :flowers: :hearts: :flowers: :hearts: :flowers:
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Hi, Francis. I'm rereading this wonderful series and just read my previous comment.

Nah. I don't think Josh has a chance with Coraline. He's roadkill and will never see what hit him.

This is exquisite!

Thanks!!!

:hearts: :hearts:
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix

Return to “Twists of Fate”