A Moonlight Christmas Carol, Ch 4 (PG-13)

librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

A Moonlight Christmas Carol, Ch 4 (PG-13)

Post by librarian_7 »

A/N: I’m guessing since this is chapter four, you’ve already seen the author’s note beginning chapter one. If for some unknown reason, you didn’t read the first chapter first, you probably should.

As far as the formal stuff goes, I guess I owe apologies to Mr. Charles Dickens, and the disclaimer that as usual, I don’t own Moonlight, or any of its characters, here is…the fourth and final part of my version of:

A Moonlight Christmas Carol

Chapter 4

Christmas Eve, 1984

I hadn’t had a lot of time to think things over, when I heard a faint rustle of cloth, and looked up, expecting to see something fearsome, from what the Ghost of Christmas Present had said. I thought I’d have to listen to a harangue about my future.

What I saw was shocking, all right: the wide blue eyes of a frightened child.

She was maybe four or five. Dressed in a pink and white printed cotton nightgown, high neck, long sleeves, and ruffles at the hem. Cute. A pretty kid, too, with her straight blonde hair hanging on either side of her serious face. I tried to think if I’d ever seen a girl that looked like this before, but none came to mind. Vampires don’t tend to hang out with children, much. It’s just one of those things.

“You?” I asked, trying to sound as non-threatening as possible. “”You’re the Ghost of Christmas Future?”

The little girl never blinked, but as she nodded, she slipped a thumb in her mouth.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to make you nervous.”

She nodded again and held her other hand out to me. I hadn’t noticed it with the others, but this spirit’s tiny hand was warm in mine. A pure touch against my skin.

I hadn’t doubted the cleanliness of my hand before, when Christmas Present had asked. Now, faced with this childlike innocence, I wondered what stains my life, my actions, had left on me. But somehow, I couldn’t pull away. I put my hand in hers.

Her blue eyes widened, and I never even saw the gray transition.

I was expecting grim, and I got it. The first stop we made-it’s hard to describe. Have you ever been somewhere in between two facing mirrors?

It was like that. Sort of. Standing there, with that little girl ghost hanging onto my hand, what I saw, was me. Images of me, stretching out into infinity in either direction. I was sitting the way I had earlier, in my leather easy chair, a book in one hand, a glass of blood in the other. My perfect Christmas Eve. And it was replicated, off into a distance I couldn’t even comprehend.

Okay, I thought, no big deal. Smoke and mirrors. Then it hit me.

That endless parade of lonely Christmas nights-it wasn’t one image. Each one was slightly different. I don’t age, but my clothing, the book I held, even the glass of blood in my hand varied. It wasn’t a prediction of the future-it was a photograph. It crushed in on me, all that sameness, all that emptiness. I don’t go down easy, but I felt my knees start to give.

“Take me away from here,” I whispered. “Please.”

I felt her hand tighten in mine, and the scene faded and changed.

We were back at Josef’s. I almost wondered if he knew that ghosts were trooping through his house uninvited; he looked sharply in our direction, sharply enough the spirit moved closer to me.

“He can’t see us, can he?” I asked.

She shook her head, but huddled closer to me all the same, that thumb still firmly in her mouth.

Josef was doctoring a couple of tumblers of scotch with a few drops of blood from a Waterford crystal decanter. Nothing but the best for Josef.

“It’s Christmas, Coraline. What’s so urgent it won’t wait? Possibly a decade or so?”

“Yes, I noticed I didn’t receive an invitation to your Christmas Eve party. Or perhaps it was lost in the mail?”

“The post office can be so unreliable.” He handed her a drink, and settled into a nearby chair.

If Coraline recognized the evasion in his answer, she didn’t comment. Then again, she’d known Josef a long time. Maybe she expected it.

“I’m worried about Mick,” she said.

Josef snorted. “I told you all along, he wasn’t cut out to be a vampire.”

“I can’t just let him go.”

“You can’t give him what he wants, either,” Josef replied, then corrected himself. “What he thinks he wants.”

Coraline shivered. “You talk to him, Josef. What can’t I give him?”

Josef considered, or pretended to, taking a long, deliberate sip of his drink. I could tell he was shifting into his “dispensing wisdom” mode. He shook his head. “Mick is one of those men who’s always going to want what he can’t have.”

“I’ve tried playing hard to get, Josef. It doesn’t work anymore.”

Josef smiled in that especially nasty way he could. “No offense, Coraline, but he’s had you. That’s not what I’m talking about.”

“Then what?”

“He wants—and don’t ask me to explain it—to be ordinary. A dull day job, a boring wife, 2.4 children. A house in the suburbs, and a pet cat. Never mind that he’d be happy with that for about two weeks, it’s what he thinks he wants.”

Coraline frowned. “I can’t give him that. I can’t make him human again.”

“You asked what he wanted.” Josef shrugged. “I told you.”

“But—“

Josef leaned forward, his voice becoming intense. “Then let him go, Coraline. Just—let him go.”

I hadn’t asked the spirit to take me away, but the scene faded, even while Coraline started to speak again.

I was in darkness, with a cold wind blowing. Even vampire eyes take a few seconds to adjust, but when I could see again, I realized we were in a cemetery. An old one. The headstones nearest me were leaning, the graves sunken with age. I was knee deep in rank weeds, and there were vines growing over the tombstones. Here and there, in the distance, I saw a mausoleum rearing against the overcast night sky, but mostly, the graves were simple.

The spirit had slipped her hand from mine, as I looked around me, and was standing a little apart.

“I don’t understand,” I said. “Why are we here?”

She shook her head at me, and pointed at a grave.

“What?”

She pointed again, more insistently, and I took a closer look. I couldn’t read anything, for the weeds and the vines over the inscription. I had to know what was on that tombstone. Now.

I crouched down, started ripping away the vines, uprooting the weeds that blocked it. It was hard to see in the darkness, but eventually I’d clawed the stone free of vegetation. There was no name, and only one date. The inscription sent a shiver down my spine.

“Killed by Mick St. John, 1952,”

I reeled back from the grave, and stumbled over another one. I cleared it, too, and it said, “Killed by Mick St. John, 1954.”

In a daze, I went from one grave to the next. The dates differed, but every single one of them read, “Killed by Mick St. John. Killed by Mick St. John.”

I put my hands to my eyes, to block out the sight of all the graves, then spun around, looking for the spirit.

The rolling hills of the cemetery stretched as far as I could see, and I was alone. I started running among the graves, screaming for the spirit, but the child had vanished. As I went, I was seeing every grave the same. The dates were getting more recent, the stones more clear, but the inscription never changed. I got clumsy, banging into headstones, hitting an elbow here, a knee, a hip, there. The pain was immaterial. I had to keep going.

Finally, I thought I spotted fresh digging. An open grave.

I ran to it, hoping, praying, it would be a grave for me. As I reached it, the headstone of black granite caught a shaft of the moonlight, as the moon came out from behind a cloud. I saw “Mick St. John” carved into the black granite, and fell on my knees, gasping for the breath I didn’t need.

The cloud shifted a little, and the light moved. I could read the rest of the inscription. “Killed by Mick St. John.”

I pounded my hands against the fresh-turned earth, clawed at it. I would not accept this. I would not accept this.

&&

A crash startled me, and I sat up. The glass of A positive was shattered on the floor beside me, droplets and shards spread across the hardwood floor.

I’d been dreaming. I had to have been dreaming. And just because my subconscious had gone the full Dickens on me, didn’t mean I was going to be running out and buying a Christmas goose for Tiny Tim, right?

I’ve got to wonder, though, if Christmas Past manifested as Coraline, and Christmas Present as Josef, who was that little girl? The future? How was I supposed to change that, when I didn’t even know her? If I believed any of this, I had to believe she was out there somewhere, and somehow she had to be the key to something better. Something besides all those graves. I think I’ll be keeping my eye out, for a small blonde girl with a serious face, and blue eyes that see right through me.

Okay, the logical part of my brain tells me, it was all a dream. What else could it be? But I’ve got one more question.

Why do I have dirt underneath my fingernails?
eris
Sire

Re: A Moonlight Christmas Carol, Ch 4 (PG-13)

Post by eris »

Awesome ending, Lucky. Young Beth, the one he's yet to meet, as Christmas future is perfect. As is the idea of Josef's "secret to making Mick happy" being the tipping point for Coraline's soon-to-be kidnapping of her.

Very creepy, but right in line with Dickens' "future". Mick's nightmare would definitely be a field of stone he planted himself by killing.
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by francis »

Little Beth with the thumb in her mouth, mute – what genius to let her be the Ghost of Christmas Future. The perfect innocence, the perfect horror.
I hadn’t doubted the cleanliness of my hand before, when Christmas Present had asked. Now, faced with this childlike innocence, I wondered what stains my life, my actions, had left on me. But somehow, I couldn’t pull away. I put my hand in hers.
And then the mirrors – the endless immortal emptiness of Mick’s future. It made me recoil, and what an impact it must have made on Mick.
Coraline seeking Josef’s advice – wicked. Will she try another scheme soon to get him back, will she try to give him the 2.4 kids, was it Josef’s advice that triggered the plan to take Beth?
Oh, and the cemetery. All his victims, and then he himself his own victim. That’s cruel – and true. Truth is cruel.
And now Beth is his future, and he has to decide what to do with it. When he sees her again, he will know it’s time.
Great writing, fantastic in conveying the mood, the emotions, the implications. And a killer last line.
cassysj
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by cassysj »

Little Beth is perfect for Christmas future. I also liked the Coraline/Josef conversation. This was really a great homage to Dickens and I enjoyed it immensely.
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

Thanks for the comments. I'm a Christmas Carol junkie...have seen more versions on screen than I'd care to admit to, and read the original a number of times. So I wanted to do a decent job reinterpreting the story. And it sounds as though at least a few people think I might have succeeded.

Lucky
moonlight_vixen
Courtesan

Post by moonlight_vixen »

Young Beth as the Ghost of Christmas Future was just perfect! I enjoyed this story very much--it was perfect for the holidays! :twothumbs:
Banner And Avatar By Me
______________________________________________________________________________________
Proud Josef Exclusive+
Proud Co-Founder Of Maroon-A-Holics
THINK KOSTAN!
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

Incredible ending to your Christmas Carol, Lucky!!!

Ebenezer saw his death in his future, while Mick saw decades of never ending undead loneliness. What greater horror for Mick than to see all the deaths he was and would be responsible for.

But the ending is perfect, with Mick trying to reconcile what he knows (Coraline and Josef and how each has influenced his life) with what he doesn't know (the child Beth). How could a small, innocent child unknown to him keep him from the horror he has seen?
I’ve got to wonder, though, if Christmas Past manifested as Coraline, and Christmas Present as Josef, who was that little girl? The future? How was I supposed to change that, when I didn’t even know her? If I believed any of this, I had to believe she was out there somewhere, and somehow she had to be the key to something better. Something besides all those graves. I think I’ll be keeping my eye out, for a small blonde girl with a serious face, and blue eyes that see right through me.

Okay, the logical part of my brain tells me, it was all a dream. What else could it be? But I’ve got one more question.

Why do I have dirt underneath my fingernails?
FWIW, I'm a bit of a Christmas Carol junkie myself. We have a holiday tradition of watching a rendition that my other half and I really enjoy - the 1951 black and white version with Alister Sim

Thank you so much for this :hug:
darkstarrising
Love – the universal language, the story of Moonlight
View My Fanfic Index

Thanks to the talented and generous Phoenix for my beautiful banner!
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

darkstarrising wrote:
FWIW, I'm a bit of a Christmas Carol junkie myself. We have a holiday tradition of watching a rendition that my other half and I really enjoy - the 1951 black and white version with Alister Sim

You're so welcome!

And that version is my favorite, too...with George C. Scott close behind. (Heck, I even have a soft spot for the one Henry Winkler did, "An American Christmas Carol." And Susan Lucci's version is a riot!)

Lucky
Phoenix
Moonlightaholic Founder

Post by Phoenix »

The rolling hills of the cemetery stretched as far as I could see, and I was alone. I started running among the graves, screaming for the spirit, but the child had vanished. As I went, I was seeing every grave the same. The dates were getting more recent, the stones more clear, but the inscription never changed. I got clumsy, banging into headstones, hitting an elbow here, a knee, a hip, there. The pain was immaterial. I had to keep going.
Poor Mick. :bmoon:
Beautiful tag courtesy of SirenSong.
Image My fanfic index. My banner art.

Each player must accept the cards life deals him. But once they are in hand, he alone must decide how to play the cards in order to win the game. Voltaire.
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

I'm glad you got a chance to read this one, Phoenix! I really enjoyed writing it.

Lucky
cassysj
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by cassysj »

librarian_7 wrote:
darkstarrising wrote:

You're so welcome!

And that version is my favorite, too...with George C. Scott close behind. (Heck, I even have a soft spot for the one Henry Winkler did, "An American Christmas Carol." And Susan Lucci's version is a riot!)

Lucky

The 1951 version is incredible but I thought I was the only person who liked An American Christmas Carol.
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Oh, man... what a perfect ending. This story is a wonderful homage to Dickens, and absolutely true to the Moonlight mood. What better spirit of the future for 1980's Mick than the little girl who will completely change his life!? The warmth of her hand, the thumb in her mouth, the pink nightie and the serious expression on her face... she seems such an unlikely harbinger of Mick's doom. The doom of a lonely, friendless existence, stretching into infinity... what a nightmare for a man whose childhood was so filled with warmth and light. :bmoon:

The conversation between Josef and Coraline is really telling. Josef's right, of course... Coraline can't give Mick what he really wants. He really does want to just be normal, and human--the antithesis of everything Coraline is. But the thought that this is the conversation that might have inspired her to steal Beth from her bed is...well, it's eerie, and creepy. And believable, which is also creepy...

And for Mick to see the graveyard, that physical representation of all the lives he's ended... well, wow. I can imagine Mick looking back on that image as he tells Beth that he's done terrible things since becoming a vampire. A guy who was a medic in the war--to be a murderer thousands of times over? That's just not how Mick wants to see himself.

So he wakes up to a splash of blood and glass, and thinks to himself that of course it was a dream. Except for those pesky fingernails... :confused2:

I agree with francis--that's a killer last line. :notworthy:
RangerCM
Rogue vampire

Post by RangerCM »

This part hit me right in the heart.
And then, before I had a chance to catch my breath, you hit us with the very next, heart wrenching part!
That endless parade of lonely Christmas nights-it wasn’t one image. Each one was slightly different. I don’t age, but my clothing, the book I held, even the glass of blood in my hand varied. It wasn’t a prediction of the future-it was a photograph. It crushed in on me, all that sameness, all that emptiness. I don’t go down easy, but I felt my knees start to give.
:confused2: :confused2: :hankie: :hankie: :hankie:

Beautifully written. Not a parody, but a wonderful "Moonlight" rendering. A new Christmas favorite. :yes:
banner by Cprav
MickLifeCrisis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by MickLifeCrisis »

Just catching up to the last chapter now, Lucky. Awesome! :thumbs: The endless Mick's in the mirrors, the cemetery at the end, little Beth as the Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come... a perfect retelling in every way! It even gave me the shivers!

For the record, our favorite version is the George C. Scott one - we try to watch it every year. This year we ended up watching A Muppet Christmas Carol instead. :snicker:
MickLifeCrisis
Many thanks to Twilightdew for my banner and avi.
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

Woot! Lucky! I missed the ending before I went out of town... and now have thoroughly enjoyed it...

I particularly loved the conversation between Josef and Coraline. Josef SO has Mick's number, and of course you SO have Josef's...
librarian_7 wrote:Josef considered, or pretended to, taking a long, deliberate sip of his drink. I could tell he was shifting into his “dispensing wisdom” mode. He shook his head. “Mick is one of those men who’s always going to want what he can’t have.”

“I’ve tried playing hard to get, Josef. It doesn’t work anymore.”

Josef smiled in that especially nasty way he could. “No offense, Coraline, but he’s had you. That’s not what I’m talking about.”

“Then what?”

“He wants—and don’t ask me to explain it—to be ordinary. A dull day job, a boring wife, 2.4 children. A house in the suburbs, and a pet cat. Never mind that he’d be happy with that for about two weeks, it’s what he thinks he wants.”
This was enormous fun to come home to. :heart:
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)

Return to “A Moonlight Christmas Carol”