Let in the Light (In Between 1 and 2, PG)

Shadow
Courtesan

Re: Let in the Light (In Between 1 and 2, PG)

Post by Shadow »

diane31 wrote:I love the way you interpret the little details.
My very favorite thing to try to do .... ;)

There are a lot of those little things that didn't quite make sense to me as I was first watching - I guess I always had to come up with some sort of explanation for them! I'm so glad you've liked the interpretations I've made. (I really wondered why he would leave that shirt on, when it would only remind Beth of what she thought she'd seen happen to him. )

Thanks so much, Diane.
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

I started reading your lovely story last night, Shadow, but wanted to re-read the first chapter of what I can tell will be a wonderful odyssey. First off, what an imaginative concept, weaving the episodes together like this, filling in the blanks as you go :rose:

You've captured Mick's emotions right from the start, wanting, yet fearing the touch of another.
He was paralyzed for an instant, not certain what to do. As she clung to him he stood with his arms held away from her, not daring to touch, but then she tightened her grip on him and he moved as if in a dream, letting his arms close around her and holding her in turn. He felt her relax in his embrace, felt the utter trust she was giving him, and he found himself nearly in tears. He couldn’t help but remember the first time Beth had flung her arms around him, when she was little, trusting him completely when she had no reason at all to do so.
It's as if he's woken from a dream. He's been in the shadows so long, watching the little girl grow up from a distance, with photos his only way to keep that connection real. But now she's here, in his arms,and just as the child had done so long ago, she trusts in him and gives him hope.

I like how you show Mick's desire to show himself to Beth, not just by stepping out of the shadows near the fountain, but when he fails to change his shirt....and the flimsy excuses he gives himself for not doing so. He denies that he wants her to recognize him, but deep down you get the feeling he does.

In leaving out the pictures for Josef to see, however, he's throwing down a gauntlet - admitting who the reporter is and daring Josef to do something about it. Josef's comment about Beth's dying maybe 'being for the best' earns him his friend's displeasure. Yet Josef fears his friend will ultimately be hurt.
“Mick, this is a really bad idea.” Josef’s voice was suddenly low and concerned, and he looked down, away from Mick. “Getting close to a human – it doesn’t work. They’re like mayflies. There one second, gone the next – unless you turn them.”

“I’m not turning anyone. Ever.”

“I know that, Mick. And that’s the problem.”
As for Beth, I really liked the tie-in to her kidnapping, with the now adult Beth, looking at her savior in just the manner she did so long ago. That must have really tugged at Mick's heart.
The little girl let go of Mick and held on to her mother tightly, and Mick started to turn away. But then Beth pulled back from her mother and swung around to look at him, her head tilted a little to one side, her eyes huge, and it seemed that she could see all the way into his soul.
This is a wonderful beginning to what I'm sure will be an amazing series :rose:
darkstarrising
Love – the universal language, the story of Moonlight
View My Fanfic Index

Thanks to the talented and generous Phoenix for my beautiful banner!
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Shadow

This is wonderful to reread.

Thnk you!

Jenna

:hearts:
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix
Shadow
Courtesan

Post by Shadow »

dsr, what a heavenly review of this chapter! I'm so very thrilled that you're trying out these stories. I'm not sure what possessed me to start attempting to link all the episodes together - well, beyond all those unanswered questions :laugh: - but it's been an interesting journey.
darkstarrising wrote:It's as if he's woken from a dream. He's been in the shadows so long, watching the little girl grow up from a distance, with photos his only way to keep that connection real. But now she's here, in his arms,and just as the child had done so long ago, she trusts in him and gives him hope.
That's really what it felt like to me, an awakening. Even though Mick had let Beth see him and start to get to know him, I'm not sure if he quite believed - until that moment, when he returned her embrace - that he could really be part of Beth's life.

And I really loved that you mentioned this ....
darkstarrising wrote:He denies that he wants her to recognize him, but deep down you get the feeling he does.
I always had the feeling that on some level, from the beginning, Mick wanted Beth to recognize him and wanted her to know his secret. (And that would explain a lot of the odd little questions like why he didn't change that bloody shirt - and why he didn't close the door behind him at the end of episode 2!)

It was lovely to get such a wonderfully detailed comment, and I'm so glad to know you enjoyed this chapter! :cloud9: :cloud9: :cloud9:
Shadow
Courtesan

Post by Shadow »

jen wrote:Shadow

This is wonderful to reread.

Thnk you!

Jenna
Thanks for coming by again, Jenna! It's so wonderful to know you've been by for a re-read.

And I've just gotten a new chapter posted as well, for the 11-12 interval. :biggrin:
susieb
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by susieb »

How have I not read this?! Only the first chapter and I can tell I've missed out on a gem.
But though he still held her close in his arms, he could feel his secret standing between them, a dark shadow keeping them apart.

I wish she knew. I wish this could be real.

It can never be real.
So lovely. And, as we all know, even when the secret came out, Mick's lack of self-acceptance took over the "dark shadow keeping them apart" role.
Susie

Sometimes the past doesn't catch up with you, it haunts you.
Shadow
Courtesan

Post by Shadow »

:wave: Susie, how wonderful to see you here and get your comment!! Especially as I know what excellent taste you have in reading material .... :biggrin:

So nice how you picked out that little section near the beginning. And this is so true:
susieb wrote:And, as we all know, even when the secret came out, Mick's lack of self-acceptance took over the "dark shadow keeping them apart" role.
Glad you liked this -- and I see that you've already been by the next chapter! :cloud9:
susieb
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by susieb »

Hi Shadow :wave: Let's face it, we both have excellent taste in reading material! :yes: I honestly don't know how I missed your stories, especially because I'm a fan of your videos. :slaphead: RL these days prevents me from reading at the pace I'd like, but I'm relishing this In Between series of yours. :twothumbs:
Susie

Shadow
Courtesan

Post by Shadow »

There's no doubt about it, Susie! :biggrin:
I have the same problem with reading, too. There are things on my list that I just don't know when I'll get to. And *sigh* RL also prevents me from writing at the pace I'd like, which is why I still have a few chapters to go on In Between. (Well, okay, it's true that the video-making interferes too -- especially right now -- but I'm sure it's mostly the fault of RL. ;) ) I'm so glad you're liking this series. That does help me write faster, in spite of everything! :hearts:
maggatha3
Ancient

Post by maggatha3 »

I have always wondered of how he took Beth home after hugging her and leaving his appartment that first night... how complex his feelings would have been..nice to have a clearer image of it through your story.. :wave:
-It never ends well...
-Never?
Gorgeous avatar by our talented Lilly .
Banner by the amazing friend Hot Micks!!! .
maggatha3
Ancient

Post by maggatha3 »

Well, Shadow, it got to me and I am doing it..reading the in betweens again while watching the episodes..exactly where they fit..I enjoyed it so much better. I loved how Beth insists on going to her door by herself. She is a strong woman, no matter what. But, also Mick insists on keeping an eye on her from afar, still being her guardian angel. And he chose to reveal her real identity and connection with him to Josef. He , on the other hand is so stiff, so indifferent on humans from episode one and in your story ,too. All is explained once we get to know about Sarah...sex with a human, yes..love,noooo. Going to watch ep.2.. :wave:
-It never ends well...
-Never?
Shadow
Courtesan

Post by Shadow »

:hyper2:
Maggatha, that is so great! I so love that you're reading these in their places as you watch the episodes. (And see, I've given you a great excuse to watch all the episodes again. I do have to wonder what your husband thinks of this part of your new addiction . . . ;) I think maybe he'll be laughing a bit!)

It's funny but when I started writing these I never imagined anyone reading them that way. A couple of other people mentioned doing so a while back, and it just floored me, even though it is such a reasonable idea. And it still amazes me now! I'm really delighted that you're enjoying the story better with it in place between the episodes. That's so good to know.
susieb
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by susieb »

I'm chuckling. That's exactly what I was doing: watching the episode and then reading the In Between. (Well, I cheated and read your most recent one out of order). Your stories just make the show juicier. :yes: This is why I haven't continued - not enough time to watch the ep and then read!
Susie

allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

It's an absolute joy to reread these... to see how beautifully you tied everything together, even from the beginning. :hearts:
maggatha3
Ancient

Post by maggatha3 »

oh, I just read under alleggrita's comment..

Difficult...Dangerous....Complicated
..And worth it..

I liked it so much...totally worth it, allegrita :rose:
-It never ends well...
-Never?

Return to “In Between”