Three Rivers - news, links, discussion - part 11 *SPOILERS*

r1015bill
100% Moonlightaholic

Re: Three Rivers - news, links, discussion - part 11 *SPOILERS*

Post by r1015bill »

allegrita wrote:

I'm glad Alex let go and allowed himself to emote in that last ep. If he'd done so before, instead of being intimidated by trying to "live up to" a character based on Gonzo Gonzalez-Stawinski, I think he might have been able to salvage Three Rivers. But oh lord, that's a big burden to put on our guy.
:yes:

Can I get on the soap box with you, allegrita? It was clear that Alex as well as Carol Barbee were in absolute awe of what they had seen during their research and that got in the way of the entertainment part of the show. It's a fine line to entertain and to educate.

I do not fear the same thing happening on H5O. :thumbs:
r1015bill
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by r1015bill »

Fleur wrote:Now, if he only would've picked up that annoying cop by his throat and lifted him about 3 feet off the ground while talking through clenched teeth, we really would have had the complete Mick effect!
:twothumbs: :twothumbs: :snicker: :snicker:
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

Hmm, how to have saved TR...a mysterious brunette seduces Dr. Andy, and turns him into a vampire...he finds a really stylin' loft to move into...and meets a cute blonde reporter and makes friends with a really snarky rich guy, who buys the hospital.

Yeah, works for me!

Lucky
Fleur de Lisa
100% Moonlightaholic
Location: I wish I may, I wish I might, have the gorgeous man on the right>

Post by Fleur de Lisa »

librarian_7 wrote:Hmm, how to have saved TR...a mysterious brunette seduces Dr. Andy, and turns him into a vampire...he finds a really stylin' loft to move into...and meets a cute blonde reporter and makes friends with a really snarky rich guy, who buys the hospital.

Yeah, works for me!

Lucky
:rolling:
And there you have it: 3Rivers, a/k/a the Moonlight prequel!!
It's plausible. He was a medic, after all...
HotMicks
Ancient

Post by HotMicks »

:cloud9: :vac: <---- that's you Fleur, always looking for the silver lining... :rolling:

And DSR & Alle, thanks for so adeptly voicing what so many of us felt watching this episode. (Actually, I must admit I only looked up when I heard Andy or Kuol speaking. I was pretty much already done with this show a couple of episodes ago, so after that, it was kinda background noise until the Alex parts. :biggrin: ) As you said, Alle, we finally saw Alex get settled into the role and let go, and the emotions were genuinely his (as we all recognized :snicker: ). And DSR, way to describe, hon! That's exactly why we saw Mick this time out. :notworthy:
~ Hot Mick's Mistress of Chill
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

Hmmm... I have to admit that I was ever ONLY interested in the Alex bits of 3R. It wasn't just a final-eps phenomenon.

And I don't think he was more Mickish in the final ep just because he finally let himself go and get into the character. I don't think, except for the rare exception, that they wrote any particularly emotional lines FOR him until these last few eps. So he really didn't have much chance TO show any Mick qualities.

If you think about those FEW moments in the first 8 eps when his scenes did not involve a medical meeting or an interaction with a patient, he was wonderful in those. There just weren't many of them. For example, in the Romeo and Juliet ep, when he and Miranda are standing outside the boy's room after the surgery, and he's telling Miranda about his early days with Rena... a quiet, lovely, scene that conveys his nostalgia for his marriage. Or in the ep with Rena, at the end, when he's trying to get her to stay and she tells him it's over, he's quite emotional and sad and kinda sweet and pathetic. And in the last ep before the long hiatus, where he confronts his uncle and gets up in the face of the big burly guy at the bar... he was smaller than that guy but he was angry and unintimidated... pretty Mick-like there, if by that you mean he shows emotion and guts. That whole scene was good, his irk with his uncle and yet his sense of not having control over this situation and his discomfort with that, with the past coming up to bite him on the bum.

But he can't act what isn't written. I agree he got better at playing Andy as the eps went by, AND that they gave him a bit more camera time in the final eps, which allows a bit more character development. Moreover, WHEN featured, he had more scenes without patients in them. So HE got better, but frankly, his material also got better.

Still, that wasn't gonna save the show. Cos look at all the rest of the parts without Andy in em. SOME of those parts were pretty good. SOME of those parts were boring as hell. SOME were just painful to watch.
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)
Fleur de Lisa
100% Moonlightaholic
Location: I wish I may, I wish I might, have the gorgeous man on the right>

Post by Fleur de Lisa »

I think that any actor hits their stride after playing a character for a certain amount of time. While Alex has always had a knack for emoting, I think that as the eps for 3R progressed, he was settling into the role more and more, thus being able to expand his acting ability as far defining and capturing the essence of Dr Andy. While he showed small glimpses of Mick in previous eps, he was able in this last episode to really expound upon that. As Mick, he wore his heart on his sleeve. As Dr Andy, his heart was an open wound where Kuol was concerned, which allowed us to see much more of his acting range than we had in previous 3R eps. Sure, he may have exhibited frustration and sadness in previous episodes, but I felt that in this last one, it all came to a head and we got to see more of the real Dr Andy. He was in such a bind: trying to get a heart for Kuol, trying to convince Dr whateverhisnameis to give the heart to Kuol instead of his patient, dealing with the possibility of the money being pulled for the surgery and facing the very real possibility of having to either rat his uncle out or get into legal trouble himself. That was a hell of a lot to deal with!

He not only showed his frustration and overwhelming helplessness at being unable to help this sweet man who had gotten completely under his skin, but it was refreshing to see him also show some cockiness towards the cop that was harassing him. It was an ep that, for me, showed so much more of a range in Alex that previuos eps didn't. As grace said, if it ain't written, he can't play it---and that was the glaring problem with that show.

So, in summary---if I haven't put anyone to sleep yet--I am that much more hopeful that H50 will succeed for Alex where previous endeavors haven't. ML got screwed, plain and simple, I won't belabor that point any longer, and 3 Rivers was inconsistent. H50 has a history already, so, we won't have to spend several eps giving viewers a huge backstory on the basics of the show. It also has much more $$ behind it than ML ever did and buzz that is just phenomenal. Therefore, it really can't get screwed like ML. If they pull in the numbers, that show is golden. I am going to continue to remain positive that more money and more buzz also equals better writing, directing and the like. That is where H50 will succeed where 3R didn't. And it gives Alex a chance to show so much more of his range. Not that he was limited with Mick, but there was a whole lotta angst and brooding! As Dr Andy, he couldn't be the class clown, b/c that would not have played well as a high powered doctor. On H50, he can play funny, sexy, sarcastic, cocky, tough, brooding, sexy, charming...I really think that role will be the one to put him on the map.

For the rest of the world.
For us, he's been a fixture on the map for quite a while.
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

So not really 3R news, but I read in the paper this morning a review of Laura Linney's new tv show about cancer, The Big C. Robert Bianco--who excoriated both 3R and BUP, as I recall, doesn't like The Big C all that much either, but he loves her.

And at one point he defends the show, from those who have spoken about it being an improbable set of circumstances and characters and reactions to her diagnosis. He argues the show isn't supposed to be about how, in RL, such a person's life might actually proceed: "...drama can't survive if limited to functioning as a public service announcement."

Note to poor poor Carol Barbee...

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

That's really interesting, grace... and if only Carol were capable of subtlety, perhaps she'd get the hint. But no, she probably won't. :banghead:
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

allegrita wrote:That's really interesting, grace... and if only Carol were capable of subtlety, perhaps she'd get the hint. But no, she probably won't. :banghead:

I agree, Darlin', lost cause if there ever were one... :shrug:
I just want her to leave Alex A-LONE!

allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Well, evidently she's a writer on episode (I think) 2 of H50. But as long as the showrunner does a good job, her writing on one episode can't ruin the show.
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

allegrita wrote:Well, evidently she's a writer on episode (I think) 2 of H50. But as long as the showrunner does a good job, her writing on one episode can't ruin the show.

*putting fingers in ears and singing la la la la la la... *
See no evil, hear no evil... :whistle:

Cos her potential, rumored, supposed involvement ascares me!!!!!! :chair:

HotMicks
Ancient

Post by HotMicks »

Me too, Grace, me too... :scary:

:fingerscrossed: Maybe they're just gonna have her write for the extras - you know, the ones who don't have any lines. She could be writing their stage directions/blocking, "When Steve walks by X, Extra #2 evinces a really tortured, overly dramatic eyebrow twitch, with violins" ... and the extras could interpret that... however. :snicker:
~ Hot Mick's Mistress of Chill
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Let's go with that, because it's comforting.
r1015bill
100% Moonlightaholic

Re: Three Rivers - news, links, discussion - part 11 *SPOILE

Post by r1015bill »

Owiso Odera has updated his actor reel.

http://owiso.com/video/

See "My Name is Abdi Khalif". This is NOT our loveable Kuol!

Return to “Past Projects”