A Moonlight Christmas Carol, Ch 2 (PG-13)

librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

A Moonlight Christmas Carol, Ch 2 (PG-13)

Post by librarian_7 »

A/N: I’m guessing since this is chapter two, you’ve already seen the author’s note beginning chapter one. If for some unknown reason, you didn’t read the first chapter first, you probably should.

As far as the formal stuff goes, I guess I owe apologies to Mr. Charles Dickens, and the disclaimer that as usual, I don’t own Moonlight, or any of its characters, here is…the second part of my version of:

A Moonlight Christmas Carol

Chapter 2

Christmas Eve, 1984

“Mick St. John.” The voice calling my name woke me, and I started up, surprised. I knew the voice, but she wasn’t usually so formal. I think the nicest thing she’d called me the last time we spoke was “ungrateful son of a bitch.”

Coraline Duvall. Or as she sometimes signed it, Mrs. St. John.

As you’ve gathered, we don’t always get along so well. It had been a couple of years since I’d seen her. 26 months, two weeks and three days, not that I was counting.

She was wearing some complicated white flowing dress, not like her usual style, which ran to tight, black or red, and revealing. She looked a lot like she had the day we got married, back in 1952.

“Aren’t you going to say hello, Mick?”

“Hello, Coraline.”

Her scarlet mouth curved into a smile. “I’m not Coraline.”

“Oh. Changed your name?”

She shook her head, that damned teasing, bewitching smile firmly in place. “I’m not her, Mick. I just look like her.”

I cocked an eyebrow. This was a little strange, even for Coraline.

“I’m the ghost of Christmas past,” she said, a little annoyed that I hadn’t asked.

I laughed. “You’ve got to be kidding me.”

Okay, I really should have known better. Laughing at Coraline, or even a reasonable facsimile of her—never a good idea.

“You always were the stubborn one,” she said. She floated over to me, that white dress moving like something in a dream. “Touch my sleeve.”

“What?”

“The sleeve, Mick,” she said impatiently. “We don’t have all night. Just touch it.”

Well, it certainly wasn’t the strangest thing she’d ever asked me to do. I put a hand out and laid it on her arm.

I’m not sure how to describe what happened next. Closest I can come is that it was like being pulled through a waterfall, out of reality, and then being dumped back into it with a jolt. Thing was, it wasn’t the same reality.

We were standing on the sidewalk in front of a row of old houses. After a second, I recognized the neighborhood where I grew up. I’ve got to say, the place looked exactly the same as I remembered. I hadn’t even driven down the street here in years, thinking someone might see me. For all I knew, Ray and Lilah still lived in his family’s old house, just down the block.

Now here I was, standing out in full sunshine across the street from where I used to live. It was winter sunshine, weak, but it was still too much. It should be, anyway. I started to put a hand up to block the light, and the Coraline-spirit laughed.

“Sunlight can’t hurt you here,” she said.

“So tell me what we’re doing.”

She cocked her head to one side, the way she always did when she wanted something from me. “Oh, come on, Mick. You know the story. Use those detective skills of yours.”

“We’re in the past?” I checked the street again. There weren’t many cars moving, but the ones I could see were all early ’30s vintage. Some older than that.

I was about to comment when the screen door across the street squealed—apparently I’d remember that noise forever—and my mom’s voice floated out into the morning. “Michael, don’t you let that screen door—“ Bang! The door slammed as a boy darted out onto the porch, a baseball glove on one hand. He was ten, maybe eleven, tops.

“Sorry, Mom,” he called out, and I knew from the careless tone of his—my—voice that he wasn’t sorry at all, as he galloped down the front steps into the yard.

I couldn’t hear Mom’s sigh, but I remembered it well enough. I’d heard it often, growing up.

Three doors down, another kid was hitting the street.

“Ray! Hey, Ray!” my younger self called out.

The other boy waved, then shoved his empty hands into his pockets as young Mick ran up to him.

“Hey, Ray, Santa—well, Pop—got me this swell glove. He said he guessed my hands would be growing soon, and I—“ He noticed for the first time that his friend’s expression was sober. “Your mom?”

Ray nodded. “She’s sick again.”

“Aw, gee, Ray, I’m sorry. And on Christmas, too.”

“Yeah, well, my dad says I’m getting too old for this Christmas stuff anyway. It’s just another day. I s’pose he’s right.”

The boy I used to be, nodded and looked thoughtful.

I’d been concentrating on the boys, and didn’t notice the girl skipping down the sidewalk to them. Mick and Ray noticed, though.

“Hey Ray, hey Mick,” she said.

Ray gave her a smile. “Hey, Lilah.”

“We’re busy,” Mick said. I wasn’t always so gracious as a kid, I guess, and I wondered about the point of all this. The Coraline-spirit seemed to read my mind.

“Just keep watching,” she said.

Young Mick seemed to make a decision, and turned his glove over to show a large red apple tucked into the palm of it. “My mom gave me this apple. You want to share it?”

Ray nodded. “Lilah, too?”

“Yeah, sure, it’s Christmas. Lilah, too.”

And I watched the three of them walk up to the front stoop, and sit on the steps while Mick pulled out his pocketknife, and started to cut the apple into thirds.

I could hear Mom coming to the door, and had a sudden flash of memory of her bringing us Christmas cookies, her special ones decorated with red and green sugar, but before I saw her, the day grayed, and shifted.

“Wait!”

“Can’t do it, Mick. You need to see some other Christmases.”

We were standing in the middle of the living room, beside a Christmas tree, and my mother was crying while a version of me somewhere between the boy and fully grown stood in front of her, looking defensive.

“I had to do it, Mom. I had to enlist. It’s war.”

1941, then.

Mom sagged into a chair. “And you chose to tell me on Christmas?”

“I report for basic training tomorrow. I didn’t want to tell you until I knew for sure.” He dropped down on one knee in front of her. “Mom, it’s going to be all right. I’ll be in the same outfit with Ray—we’ll take care of each other.”

“Ray, too? He’s leaving Lilah?”

“It’s the right thing to do, Mom. And I’ll come back to you, I promise. I’ll always come back.”

She put her handkerchief to her eyes, and sighed. “It won’t be Christmas again, until you do.”

I couldn’t look anymore. I turned to Coraline, or the ghost, whatever she was. “I’ve seen enough. Get me out of here.”

She nodded. “One more stop, and I’ll take you back home, Mick.”

Somehow I wasn’t even surprised when the final stop on this tour turned out to be a house I recognized too well. Coraline’s glass castle, dominating the landscape from its hilltop. There was a fire in the open fireplace, and soft jazz playing in the background. Coraline was pouring drinks at the sideboard, and I—my age now, as I would be forever, but still mortal—was sitting on the couch, legs crossed awkwardly. It made me a little crazy, just to see the way my mortal self was watching Coraline. But I was like that, in 1951. Before I knew the real Coraline.

“I still don’t see why you couldn’t come over to my folks’ place for Christmas dinner,” past Mick was saying. “I know, it’s a little tame, but they’d like to meet you.”

Coraline shrugged, looking beautiful as always in one of those fancy hostess/lounging get-ups rich women used to wear back then, her hair curling around her face in a way that still made me want to sweep it aside and cover her with kisses. “It’s just not the right time, Mick,” she said, avoiding my eyes. “I don’t know why it’s such a big deal.”

Then-Mick smiled at her, willing to forgive anything. “I want to show off my best girl,” he said. “Can’t blame a guy for that, can you?”

I’d forgotten the effect the sight of her with flames making the highlights of her dark hair dance used to have on me. She handed then-Mick a drink, then nestled down beside him on the couch. “There now,” she said, “isn’t this cozy? Do we really need anyone else?”

He laughed down at her, and put his untouched drink aside. “Yeah, it’ll be Christmas again before I know it. Mom and Pop can wait.”

The Coraline-spirit shook her head. “You were so easy, Mick.” And there wasn’t even that gray gap, this time. We were simply back in my apartment, in 1984. Or I was. Coraline was nowhere to be seen.

I was alone.
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Re: A Moonlight Christmas Carol, Ch 2 (PG-13)

Post by francis »

Three very different Christmas days. The easy friendship of the childhood, with a tinge of sadness for Ray, and the cynicism of children who already know that there's no Santa. The decision to break free by going to war, breaking a mother's heart. And then the infatuation with a sexy woman, making him forget that there's a family and they won't wait for him forever. Well, they will, soon. He will break his mother's heart and probably never gave her a second thought. It was always about what he wanted.
I'm looking forward to what he will experience next, and what kind of moral he will draw from it.
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

Wow, I've been anxiously waiting for this update and you haven't disappointed... :rose:

The three scenes that you show us Mick's past are all revealing - a child for whom Christmas is still very much alive, sharing what he has with his friends, a young man, putting aside the joys of Christmas to go to war, and a slightly older man for whom personal pleasure has become priority.....Christmas has lost its meaning....

But I have to applaud your exchange between Mick and the Coraline ghost of Christmas past
“I’m the ghost of Christmas past,” she said, a little annoyed that I hadn’t asked.

I laughed. “You’ve got to be kidding me.”

Okay, I really should have known better. Laughing at Coraline, or even a reasonable facsimile of her—never a good idea.

“You always were the stubborn one,” she said. She floated over to me, that white dress moving like something in a dream. “Touch my sleeve.”

“What?”

“The sleeve, Mick,” she said impatiently. “We don’t have all night. Just touch it.”

Well, it certainly wasn’t the strangest thing she’d ever asked me to do. I put a hand out and laid it on her arm.
Perfect. I wonder what the Ghost of Christmas Present will bring?
darkstarrising
Love – the universal language, the story of Moonlight
View My Fanfic Index

Thanks to the talented and generous Phoenix for my beautiful banner!
moonlight_vixen
Courtesan

Post by moonlight_vixen »

I love how you incorporated Ray and Lilah into this chapter, and the exchange between Mick and the "Coraline Ghost" was priceless!

I, too, wonder what The Ghost of Christmas Present will bring...
Banner And Avatar By Me
______________________________________________________________________________________
Proud Josef Exclusive+
Proud Co-Founder Of Maroon-A-Holics
THINK KOSTAN!
eris
Sire

Post by eris »

I loved that you included a childhood scene with Ray and Lilah. It was a great peek into the beginnings of what would be both happy and torturous memories for Mick down the line. The Christmas enlistment was heartbreaking (and sadly realistic) - - war doesn't take holidays.
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

I think there must've been a lot of heartbroken, weeping mothers at Christmas, 1941...it seemed to fit.

Thanks for the comments, and the next chapter will be up in a few days...

Lucky
MickLifeCrisis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by MickLifeCrisis »

I enjoyed chapter 2 very much! Bittersweet memories for Mick of Christmases past. Looking forward to chapter 3! :wreath:
MickLifeCrisis
Many thanks to Twilightdew for my banner and avi.
mitzie
Courtesan

Post by mitzie »

Great look into Mick's past. Sad, revealing. Loved the spirit's interactions with Mick!!! :whistle: I love this story and can't wait for the third chapter... :yahoo: :yahoo: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :hyper2: :Mickangel: :hankie: :sigh: :shrug: :devil: :yahoo: :yahoo: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :thud: :thud: :thud: :thud: :thud: :notworthy: :heart: :hearts: :rose: :flowers:

mitzie :mooncat:
cassysj
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by cassysj »

Three very different Christmases. I really like Coraline as the ghost of Christmas Past and I think she's right that he was easy. Look forward to the rest.
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

Loving this Lucky... Wonderful past moments to show us, and Mick... and LOVE the image of Coraline/Not Coraline taking him thru all of this...
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)
fairytoes
Rogue vampire

Post by fairytoes »

Great chapter! I liked the little look back to Mick's Christmas when he was a little boy. I felt sorry for Mick's Mum, and the look back to his Christmas with Coraline, well he dissapointed his family and I had the feeling that he didn't feel too bad about it. But then again, he was a man in love, so I can understand that -- somehow.

And this one
librarian_7 wrote:

Well, it certainly wasn’t the strangest thing she’d ever asked me to do.
made me :giggle: .

Looking forward to the next chapter! :flowers:
Wonderful Banner by Redwinter
Gorgeous Avi by Lilly
Thank you!
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Oh, my. Coraline-who-isn't-really-Coraline. Who better to embody the Ghost of Christmas Past? I love the touches of humor--especially his reaction when she told him to touch her sleeve. Such a "Mick" thought! :snicker:

This chapter really gets to me, because it portrays Mick as a person who never saw the value of what he had, and squandered that gift again and again. Mick believed that his family would always be there for him, just out of sight, ready to shower him with love and cookies and stability. It was so much a part of him that he didn't even know it was there... and isn't it telling that it's that intangible thing, that stability and love, that Mick misses most now? I love this chapter, because it shows Mick how callow he's always been, how emotionally stunted in some ways. He's never taken responsibility for making things right. He just waits for other people to do it for him.

The heartbreaking scene between Mick and his mom was almost more than I could bear. No wonder Mick begged to be taken away from it. And where did he go? To another Christmas where he didn't appreciate that family love...didn't realize it was a treasure that could be lost to him. :sigh: Did his mom's words echo in his mind as he watched himself falling under Coraline's spell? “It won’t be Christmas again, until you do.” He took Christmas away from his family when he was turned...it wasn't just his loss, was it?

Poor baby. And there are more hard lessons to come...
Albra
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by Albra »

Wonderful story !

Allegrita must read my thoughts :
allegrita wrote:Oh, my. Coraline-who-isn't-really-Coraline. Who better to embody the Ghost of Christmas Past? I love the touches of humor--especially his reaction when she told him to touch her sleeve. Such a "Mick" thought! :snicker:

This chapter really gets to me, because it portrays Mick as a person who never saw the value of what he had, and squandered that gift again and again. Mick believed that his family would always be there for him, just out of sight, ready to shower him with love and cookies and stability. It was so much a part of him that he didn't even know it was there... and isn't it telling that it's that intangible thing, that stability and love, that Mick misses most now? I love this chapter, because it shows Mick how callow he's always been, how emotionally stunted in some ways. He's never taken responsibility for making things right. He just waits for other people to do it for him.

The heartbreaking scene between Mick and his mom was almost more than I could bear. No wonder Mick begged to be taken away from it. And where did he go? To another Christmas where he didn't appreciate that family love...didn't realize it was a treasure that could be lost to him. :sigh: Did his mom's words echo in his mind as he watched himself falling under Coraline's spell? “It won’t be Christmas again, until you do.” He took Christmas away from his family when he was turned...it wasn't just his loss, was it?

Poor baby. And there are more hard lessons to come...
:rose: :rose:
MoonShadow
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by MoonShadow »

"I think there must've been a lot of heartbroken, weeping mothers at Christmas, 1941..."

Lucky,
You have to most amazing ability to reach out and touch the very heart. These few words tell their own story.
Thank you for a lovely chapter.
Banner by Lilly

Be bloody, bold, and resolute; laugh to scorn
The power of man, for none of woman born
Shall harm Macbeth.

Macbeth, 4. 1
Phoenix
Moonlightaholic Founder

Post by Phoenix »

“Mick St. John.” The voice calling my name woke me, and I started up, surprised. I knew the voice, but she wasn’t usually so formal. I think the nicest thing she’d called me the last time we spoke was “ungrateful son of a bitch.”

Coraline Duvall. Or as she sometimes signed it, Mrs. St. John.
:rolling:

*ahem* Poor Mick. :sadface:
Beautiful tag courtesy of SirenSong.
Image My fanfic index. My banner art.

Each player must accept the cards life deals him. But once they are in hand, he alone must decide how to play the cards in order to win the game. Voltaire.

Return to “A Moonlight Christmas Carol”