Recoil Chapter 9

Post by MoonShadow »

Episode: Loosely based after Sonata
Pairing: The whole gang
Rating: PG13 Occasional language
Spoilers: I wish it had a spoiler
Beta Thank You: Morbius
Summary: Nothing happens by chance, beware of coincidences

CBS & Paramount owns Moonlight, No copyright infringement is intended.

Recoil
By Moonshadow

Chapter 9

David walked into the cavernous silence, glanced about with satisfaction then headed to the coffee maker for his first cup of the morning. Pouring the chocolately black brew into his cup and stirring in the powdered creamer he smiled. The small marks on his wrist glinted as they caught the light. All these years … He’d gotten used to the distance between them but he cherished the bond they still shared. The memory of her bite woke a visceral response in his gut. His scars tingled and he felt himself tighten as he stared at the silvery white scars on his arm. With a shake of his head he cleared the memory away, grabbed his mug and headed towards his desk to start the day.
He sat down at his desk absently sipping the coffee, glancing about for the paper when it caught his eye. Something’s not right. Then he saw it. The file cabinet, someone’s been in there. The cabinet drawer had been opened and the latch never reseated itself without being forced, it caused the drawer to sit askew. They’d joked about it and she said it was their silent security system. At the time, he’d laughed but he remembered the haunted look she’d had in her eyes. Now David understood the cold bite of fear. A shiver walked over his scalp, how the hell did they get in here?
His first instinct was to grab the phone and tell her to hide, beg her to stay safely away from here. The rush of adrenaline slowed as her words echoed through his head, the best defense is to hide in plain sight. David shoved down the growing panic, picked up his coffee cup, rocked back in his chair and braced a foot against the desk. He scanned the room for any sign of them. Unable to see any other trace, he sipped the cooling cup leisurely, scratched, and yawned before he glanced at his watch. David leafed through the front pages of the newspaper before snagging the sports section and heading for the bathroom. Her voice steadied him; Never let them know that you’re on to them. their training had been consistent over the years; he knew it like he knew his own name. David took his time, knowing that he had at least 40 minutes before John was due to clock in.
David assumed that the outside of the warehouse was being watched. His car might also be tagged. That meant the only clean line of communication was the disposable phones she had passed out the night before. He glanced again at his watch, hoping he didn’t appear nervous. David walked back to his desk, dug about in the drawer fishing the keys out, and headed out to his car, locking the door behind him. Don’t break your routine. That way, whoever is hunting you doesn’t know that they’ve lost the advantage. He decided as he drove, the bagel shop would be good cover. He parked the car and stepped into the bakery making a show of fumbling about for his phone. Avoiding the growing line, David walked out a side door to the fenced patio took a deep breath and dialed her private number.
Impatiently listening to the ringing, praying to whatever that she would answer. The thought of her being dead nearly buckled his knees. He slid into a chair and wrapped an arm over his head,oh, god, don’t let her be dead. By the fourth ring his heart began to leap erratically in his chest, clammy sweat made the phone hard to hold. A fifth ring.

“Tell me you didn’t break your routine.”

“I’m springing for Blue Mountian bagels this morning, nothing but the best.”

“Assume they have a long range mic on you.”

“Yeah, he answered, I like them better that that other joint down the street.” David’s hand shook as he closed his eyes in relief.

“Can you safely get in and out of the warehouse?”

“Okay, a sesame seed bagel with garden veggie cream cheese for you. Got that, what about John?”

“Let him come in and then send him out to Warner Brother’s security. He can work the job we have lined up on the foothills film shoot. He won’t raise any suspicion that way.”

“Yeah, John always gets poppy seed and plain cream cheese, got that one.” David switched the phone to his left hand and grabbed a pen from his chest pocket to write the list they were talking around. “What about Diedra?” He paused, waiting for her reply.

“So they got into the warehouse and the file cabinet.”

“Yeah she likes blueberry but last time she got cinnamon and sugar.” David replied rambling to give her time to formulate a plan.

“Go to Kosten’s place and check in with security. Tell them you are there to work security for the party tonight.”

“Okay, cinnamon and sugar it is. The lines clearing out, so I should be back in about 30 minutes, max. Keep the coffee hot.” David stood, went back into the bakery and ordered.

She snapped the phone shut, tossed it onto the freezer lid, grabbed her robe, slid into the silken embrace gathering her hair and poured it’s ebony length over her shoulder. Worry marred her face and she sighed as she dialed Josef. She’d hoped she wouldn’t have to make this call. While the phone rang she thought of the warehouse, it’s contents and memories. She’d love nothing more than to trap the whole nest of them inside and burn it to the ground. Filthy vermin. They made her skin crawl.
The voices of long dead friends and lovers whispered warnings to her. Be safe little one. Hide. Remember us. Don’t let my death be in vain. They were tattered fragments floating gently on a ghostly breeze, really nothing more than cobwebs between her past and her present.

“How bad is it?” Josef’s snarl erupted from the phone.

“The warehouse has been compromised. I’m sending David to your office. I need him alive Josef.”

Josef’s voice soothed the fear in her heart. “I understand. Call Mick and meet me at my office. Do we have any hard evidence it’s them?”

“No, not yet, but the slayings, the methods used, the secrecy all point that direction.”

“I agree it looks suspicious.”

“My teams have already been alerted. When they don’t show tonight our hand will be tipped.”

“So, we have 12 hours head start on them, if it is them. We’ll discuss options when you get here”

She ended the call and headed for a cool shower, needing the time to compose herself.

Josef tossed his phone onto the desk and grabbed his robe. Wrapping it carelessly he jerked the belt into a fast knot as he evaluated plans, mentally selecting the best and tossing others aside. Josef spun the dial on the shower to cold annoyed that he was allowing frustration to dictate his plans.

--------------------------------------------------------

Mick woke to the repeated ringing of his cell phone, Startled, he flipped the freezer open and clambered out, Beth, what’s wrong with Beth. The floral scent of her perfume was still fresh on his skin. He’d been dreaming of the discussion they’d had after he’d surprised her with his proposal. He glanced at the clock on his phone as he silenced the incessant buzz. Mick frowned at the number, scrubbing the sleep from his eyes as he answered, “Mick St John.” Beth wouldn’t be awake yet, he realized, he’d just barely been asleep when the phone woke him.

“I know who I called” snapped the voice, “you need to meet me at Josef’s office immediately.”

Mick took a deep breath, squared his shoulders before he responded with a puzzled, “okay?”
Realizing the call had already been disconnected; Mick shook his head, glanced at his pajama bottoms then decided to head for the shower instead. He paused, reached back flipped the freezer door closed and tossed the phone onto it the plastic surface.
Last edited by MoonShadow on Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Banner by Lilly

Be bloody, bold, and resolute; laugh to scorn
The power of man, for none of woman born
Shall harm Macbeth.

Macbeth, 4. 1
lorig
Fledgling

Re: Recoil Chapter 9

Post by lorig »

Uh-oh the cleaner is calling Mick... :confused2:

What happened between Mick and BEth?... :chin:

:twothumbs: :clapping:
Gorgeous banner by PinkiePie
Tag by Mags and coco
MoonShadow
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by MoonShadow »

:whistle: lorig
I promise I will give the details of that conversation, I jus needed to keep the story focused in another direction... for just a little bit. :teeth:
Banner by Lilly

Shall harm Macbeth.

Macbeth, 4. 1
draco
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by draco »

Don't mind the story for now! Give us details!!!! (just joking of course) :whistle:
This is getting more tense and really serious if the Cleaner is calling Mick :confused2:
lorig
Fledgling

Post by lorig »

MoonShadow wrote::whistle: lorig
I promise I will give the details of that conversation, I jus needed to keep the story focused in another direction... for just a little bit. :teeth:

No worries, I'll be waiting patiently...or at least I'll try to be patient :9to5:
Gorgeous banner by PinkiePie
Tag by Mags and coco
helloeeze
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by helloeeze »

I just read all nine chapters. This reads like a Moonlight episode which is a treat. I'm curious why Mick had to ask Beth to marry her.
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by francis »

Oh my, who is "them"? Can't wait to find out.
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

I must admit, I had all but forgotten about David, as my attention was totally involved in the cleaner and the murders, but that was careless. You don't leave casual details like that. David is also a wonderful original character and his ability to think clearly and react calmly under extreme pressure is both a credit to him and the training he has received from this remarkable Cleaner.

Fabulous chapter.

Thank you!
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix
MoonShadow
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by MoonShadow »

I loved creating David, if there were women vamps, I knew they had to have freshies of their own.
This complex intricate relationship wasn't just something that the male vamps experienced, it was the soul source of sustenance for
centuries.

Thank you so much for reading and enjoying!
Banner by Lilly

Shall harm Macbeth.

Macbeth, 4. 1

Return to “MoonShadow's Office”