Recoil Chapter 8

Post by MoonShadow »

Episode: Loosely based after Sonata
Pairing: The whole gang
Rating: PG13 Occasional language
Spoilers: I wish it had a spoiler
Beta Thank You: Morbius
Summary: Nothing happens by chance, beware of coincidences

CBS & Paramount owns Moonlight, No copyright infringement is intended.

Recoil
By Moonshadow

Chapter 8

Josef moved about the room, the lab was nearly empty. The echoing hollowness of his heart tasted bitter. It was time to release Sarah from the hell that he’d bound her to. The Chemist had confirmed he deepest fear; nothing in either compound would help. It is time.

The Chemist was a liability he could not afford to sustain. Your time had come. Whoever was hunting in LA had to be stopped. You’ve had too much time to play.

Josef had yet to decide if Lola’s sire was behind this or if it was an older far more sinister foe. At this point the who didn’t really matter. What did matter was far more valuable and each step now would tip the scale one direction or another. Josef planned on making sure that tip would be in his favor.

Mick stepped through the doors. Watching Josef carefully, Mick knew. “I’m sorry”.

Josef didn’t move, his voice never wavered, but the pain was still there. “It’s time.”

“Why now?”

“It’s time Mick, one thing you will learn. When the time comes, it has to be embraced. Ignoring opportunity will get you killed. That time has come.”

“Is that how you see it?” Mick asked, “After all this time, that’s all Sarah is? Just opportunity?”

Josef turned to face Mick, his face was stone. Mick bit back his next words, looking into Josef’s eyes. The years, the agony, the guilt were etched there forever. Mick’s silence filled the space between them. Josef accepted the unspoken apology with a single nod.

“Let’s go get a drink”.

Josef stood a moment longer, shrugged his jacket into place and tugged the lapels flat. “Tell me you’ve found something I can use.”

Mick shook his head, “I wish I could. Whoever is behind this is good. There’s no trace of the vamp that The Cleaner is looking for. I’ve gone over the files carefully, reviewed everything. Josef this is too clean. Whoever did these hits is a well trained pro. Fast, efficient and I have no idea what their agenda is.”

Josef nodded as he walked, head down taking in the information matching it to what he knew of the hunters. Hands shoved deep into his pockets Josef led them through the complex back to the offices he preferred. “Mick, be ready to move. This is going to get ugly.”

Mick glanced over at the somber face.

“If you plan on taking Beth with you, you’ll need to be ready to do it. I wouldn’t begin to tell you what you should do, but this would be a hell of a lot easier if she was one of us.”

Mick’s hackles rose in protest, “Look you’re the one that wished us luck.”

“Mick, you’re going to have to learn when to take advantage of opportunity.”

“You keep talking about opportunity, but all I’m seeing right now are blank walls and a whole lot of unanswered questions.”

Josef’s step slowed, “Mick, this isn’t going to be pretty. Coraline is in Europe answering for her shenanigans. That Chemist is a liability to them. They’ve kept that substance hidden for 300 years. Hell, I didn’t even know about it. Do you think they’ll let that little tidbit of information go? Trust me, the less said about that substance right now, the better. I will not stand for any more exposure.

“You think they’re behind this? Coraline’s family?”

Josef opened the heavy door to his private office, walked to the center of the room and dismissed everyone present. “Mick, this whole affair, what Lola started, ends here. The focus has to be on finding who or what is hunting us.”

“What do you intend on doing?”

“I’m going hunting Mick, I’m taking advantage of the opportunity. I will not be cornered.”

“So you’re giving this opportunity for the liability to get out? What? Before you hand Beth and me over? Would you do that?”

Josef turned, “You would ask that question? After what I’ve done for you? Mick since you got involved with Beth you’ve been nothing but stupid. It’s time for you to start thinking like a vamp again. It’s what you are and it’s the only way you will survive this.”

Mick stood, What’s left to say? In war good people die, decisions have to be made, God help us, this feels like it’s nothing less than war.

Josef watched Mick retreat, he felt old. The lessons his sire had taught him haunted his days and echoed through his nights. His position required much from him, granted the rewards were delightful but knowing what level of sacrifice could be ahead weighed heavily on him.

Beth answered the door with her usual smile. Mick loved the glow of sapphire that danced in her eyes when she smiled at him “Beth” her name on his lips.

Her smile deepened before she tilted her head quizzically, “Come on in. You okay? You look like something’s up” She closed the door behind them watching him. Liquid heat rushed through her, igniting fire. Electricity seemed to follow him into the room.

“Beth, I need. We need to talk.” Mick paced about the small apartment searching.

Shadows threatened her heart as she watched each step he took.

“I think we need to get married.” He turned finally to look at her. Surprised at the expression on her face. “That’s not the response I expected.”

Beth continued to gape wordlessly, before sinking limply into the nearest chair.

“Okay, well that didn’t go so well.”

Beth flipped up a hand, “Wait.” Opening and closing her mouth again wordlessly. “Why?” she squeeked out staring at Mick’s face. Taking a deep breath and blowing it out slowly. “Boy, you don’t waste anytime do you.” She smiled wanely at the shocked look in his face.

“You don’t want to uhm.. well, uh”

“Wait a minute. You want to explain what’s behind this first?”

Mick shoved his hands into this pockets and nervously shuffled his keys through his fingers.

“You walk in here and propose marriage expecting me to believe there’s nothing behind it?” Color rushed to Beth’s cheeks as her shock gave way to irritation. She stood hands on her hips, “You literally run when I say speed dating and then waltz in here and ask me this!?! Just what’s going on?”

Mick retreated to the kitchen placing the island between them pressing his hands flat on the cool tiles. “Beth”

“No! Don’t you Beth me! What’s going on?”

Mick swallowed, searching for the words wishing he’d thought this through better. Somehow anger was not the response he’d expected. But then again, he thought maybe he had. “I’m sorry.”

“Not good enough.”

Mick looked at her, walked across the room in three quick strides, engulfed her shocked and angry body and kissed her deeply. He felt the heat of Beth’s desire overcoming her annoyance.

She couldn’t think, she felt her body going from fire to ice and back again. Damn him. Hunger erupted from her and her body answered. Beth felt that she could gladly drown in his kiss and never miss another breath. She breathed deep the smell of him, placed her hands on his shoulders and pushed away. “Uh, huh Mick. Answers, not bribery.”
Banner by Lilly

Be bloody, bold, and resolute; laugh to scorn
The power of man, for none of woman born
Shall harm Macbeth.

Macbeth, 4. 1
draco
Logan's WoW nemesis

Re: Recoil Chapter 8

Post by draco »

Damn does Mick have some explaining to do... I guess Beth imagined a proposal to be a bit more romantic
Lets see how his explanation goes...
lorig
Fledgling

Post by lorig »

I love it, Beth is so on to him!! :clapping:
Gorgeous banner by PinkiePie
Tag by Mags and coco
MoonShadow
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by MoonShadow »

I always thought Beth had a lot of Mick figured out. I will give you that conversation I Promise! :type:
Banner by Lilly

Be bloody, bold, and resolute; laugh to scorn
The power of man, for none of woman born
Shall harm Macbeth.

Macbeth, 4. 1
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by francis »

Beth sees right through Mick here. If he wants to propose he better explain why he's in such a hurry. :laugh:
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Somewhere--I forget where now--I heard something that fits really well here:

'What the mind doesn't know, the heart fills in.'

It's just one of those fabulous lines that fits in so many different situations.

Beth may not intellectually know the details of 'why' but her heart has already made its choice. The same may be said for Mick. He may not have any idea how this is going to work out, but a future without Beth Turner is unacceptable. Everything else is just minor details.

Looking forward to the next chapter!

Thank you!
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix

Return to “MoonShadow's Office”