Follow That Freshie - A Thanksgiving Mystery Ch.6 Final (G)

MickLifeCrisis
100% Moonlightaholic

Follow That Freshie - A Thanksgiving Mystery Ch.6 Final (G)

Post by MickLifeCrisis »

Lorig and I cooked up a fluffy little mystery for you for Thanksgiving. (She wore padding this time so as not to be bruised by bouncing ideas flying her way.) We hope you enjoy it!

Disclaimer: I do not own Moonlight or any of its characters.
Characters: Mick, Beth, Josef and an OC.
Rated G

Thank you Barnabas for the perfect story banner!

Previously in Follow That Freshie...

Mick had removed his apron and was in the process of tying it around Josef’s waist. In a low voice, Josef growled, “I’ll get you for this, St. John. I feel like the Pillsbury Doughboy!”

“Smile, Josef. Remember to smile,” Mick replied, enjoying every second.

Chapter 6 - Final

Back at the mansion, Josef poured scotch into four glasses on an ornate tray as his guests sat down and propped their feet up. “You know Mick, I’m not sure I should even have to pay you for your investigative work. Father Ambrose told me everything.” Josef carried the tray to Mick and Beth seated together on the couch, and to Kylie in one of his chairs.

“Of course you have to pay me!” Mick said indignantly, as he took his glass. “First, you wouldn’t even have met Father Ambrose if it hadn’t been for my diligent and excellent investigative skills which led you there.” Beth chuckled and elbowed him in the ribs. Mick laughed and put his arm around her shoulders. “And second, I’m now one of your Vice Presidents. I should be drawing a salary every week.”

Josef guffawed as he took his own drink and sat down on the arm of Kylie’s chair. “That’ll be the day!”

Mick took a sip of scotch and continued in a more serious tone. “Besides, Father Ambrose didn’t tell you everything. You still don’t know why Kylie serves at the mission every weekend.”

Josef turned to Kylie. “He’s right, I don’t. What’s that all about?”

Kylie looked down at the drink in her hands. She looked at Mick for encouragement, and he nodded. She saw Beth, smiling warmly at her. Kylie sighed, and looked up at Josef as she broke the awkward silence.

“Josef, my real name is Judy Warden. My mother and I had to sell our farm in northern California when my father died because we couldn’t keep it going. We bought a small house in town, but the bank foreclosed on it when my mom lost her job and we missed the payments.” She looked down at her lap again, her voice growing softer. “We had to move into a homeless shelter. It was so humiliating. I changed my name and used the last money we had to buy a bus ticket to LA so I could make my way as an actress.” Kylie took a sip of her drink. The burn gave her courage to continue. “I vowed if I ever had the means, I would help others who are going through what I went through. So I volunteer at the shelter once a week. Since I’ve worked for you, I send most of my money home to my mother.” Kylie looked up and smiled, her eyes dancing. “She has a little apartment now!”

Josef cupped her chin and stared into her eyes. “Why didn’t you feel you could tell me?”

She pulled her head away from Josef and looked down again. “It was too embarrassing. I changed my name to leave my old life behind. I didn’t want anyone to know.”

Josef took a drink and said brightly, “Well, we all know now and no one seems to mind. I don’t see any reason why you can’t continue to serve there once a week. Maybe take one of the other girls with you so you aren’t alone.”

“Really Josef?” Kylie said, smiling at him.

Mick cleared his throat. Kylie looked over at him silently pleading, but she knew he wouldn’t let her off the hook. Her smile faded, and she hung her head again.

“Um, Josef? There is something else I need to tell you.”

“I’m listening.” Seeing her forlorn expression, he added, “Come on, it can’t be as bad as all that?”

“Josef, I’ve been taking food from the kitchen and giving it to the shelter.” Josef sat in stunned silence.

“Why, Kylie?”

“It was just going to waste! The other girls eat like birds. They’re always worrying about their figures.” Kylie hadn’t realized she had raised her voice. She blushed. “When you have to go without, you come to abhor wastefulness.” Her voice grew animated again. “There was hardly anything wrong with the items your chef was disposing of, and the cooks at the shelter can do so much with even a small amount! So, well, I took the food and gave it to the mission.” When she glanced around the room and noticed everyone staring at her, she became defensive. “I never took anything that was needed or wanted. No one went without. Chef told me you only wanted the best of everything, and when the potatoes would get a few sprouts or the apples started getting a few bruises, he would just throw them away. I was shocked! But he told me tonight that from now on, before he threw anything away, he would ask me first if I could use it.” She looked up at Josef hopefully. “Would that be alright?”

Josef looked at this fresh faced young spitfire of a woman and smiled. Leaning over he put his arm around her shoulders and kissed the top of her head. “Kylie my dear, you may have all the leftover food you want for your mission. In fact, in addition to that I will make a donation of fresh food once a month to the shelter. I will also begin making a monthly monetary donation to the cause, in your honor. I’ll call it the ‘Kylie Jenkins Fund’.”

Kylie jumped up and hugged Josef, pulling him to his feet. “Oh Josef! Really and truly?”

He laughed at the excited freshie hugging the stuffing out of him. “Yes, Kylie, really and truly.”

“And you’re not angry? About my sneaking off? And taking the food?”

“No, I’m not angry,” he said, looking into her eyes. “A little disappointed maybe. I wish you felt you could have come to me.” Josef turned towards the others in the room and cast his eyes down as he swirled his drink. “You know, it was a humbling experience for me tonight. It has been a long time, centuries in fact, since I have had to do without the extravagances of living I have come to know and love, let alone go without the bare necessities of existence.” He raised his glass in a toast. “And so, while I don’t give a damn about turkey, dressing and cranberries, I am thankful for the friends and those I consider family,” he looked directly at Mick and Beth, “here in this room tonight who make my eternal life worth living. Happy Thanksgiving.”

“Happy Thanksgiving!” the rest said in unison and they all took a drink.

“And if one word of that speech leaves this room, or if anyone ever mentions ‘Pillsbury Doughboy’ in my presence, the tarpits will be too good for you,” he said in a menacing voice, baring his fangs.

Kylie giggled, and gently nudged the vampire. “Oh, Josef! You old softie!” The whole room erupted in laughter. “There is one thing, though,” she said hesitantly when the laughter died down. Josef looked at her expectantly.

“And what might that be?”

“I don’t want you to think I’m ungrateful, but…well, could we name your donation the ‘Martha Warden Fund’ instead? After my mother?”

“Oh, that’s a wonderful idea!” Beth exclaimed.

“Of course we can, Kylie. Whatever you want.”

Kylie hugged Josef again. “Thank you, Josef. For everything. Happy Thanksgiving.”

“Happy Thanksgiving, Kylie.”

The End.

Lorig and I would like to wish you all a Happy Thanksgiving! We hope you enjoyed our little tale and we thank you so much for reading and commenting! :hug:
Last edited by MickLifeCrisis on Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MickLifeCrisis
Many thanks to Twilightdew for my banner and avi.
kpyle
Freelance freshie

Re: Follow That Freshie - A Thanksgiving Mystery Ch.6 Final (G)

Post by kpyle »

A wonderful ending to a great Thanksgiving story! You ladie work well together, and I hope to see you work some more magic in the future! Thanks for sharing this! Wishing you both a Happy Thanksgiving!!! :hug:

Kelly
Thank you Pinkie for my Amazing Banner!
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Brava! :clapping:

What a nice Thanksgiving present, lorig and MLC! Thank you for working together to create this little gem for us. :ghug:
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by francis »

Happy thanksgiving, and thanks for this story. Let's appreciate what we have and be thankful for it!!!
draco
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by draco »

I love happy endings :hearts:
It's very generous of Josef to donate food and money to the shelter and of course not giving Kylie a hard time about her, lets say, lacvk of trust in him.

I think in the end that was one of the best Thanksgivings Josef has ever had in his long life.

Can't wait for the next story the two of you come up with :rose:
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

And a happy Thanksgiving to both of you, MLC and lorig, with my thanks for such a delightful story.

Red

Click here for my story index

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" - Emily Dickinson
MickLifeCrisis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by MickLifeCrisis »

Thank you everyone so very much for the lovely comments! :flowers: Just a little fluff piece for the holiday and I'm glad you enjoyed it. It was my first attempt at writing Josef. He was a good sport about it! :snicker:

Happy Thanksgiving! :thanksgiving:
MickLifeCrisis
mitzie
Courtesan

Post by mitzie »

This is a lovely story about caring and sharing and spreading positivity. I love it!!!! :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :hyper2: :hyper2: :woohoo: :woohoo: :biggrin: :whistle: :devil: :eat: :yahoo: :yahoo: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :thud: :thud: :thud: :thud: :hyper2: :hearts: :flowers: :thanksgiving:

mitzie :mooncat:
cassysj
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by cassysj »

What a lovely Thanksgiving story, thanks so much for sharing it.
AussieJo
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by AussieJo »

Ah, Josef.
God love him!
He can be nice when he wants to be!
Happy Thanksgiving to you both.
This is the second Thanksgiving I have shared with my online friends, and I am still giving thanks for you all. :ghug: :ghug:
nutmegger911
Cleaner

Post by nutmegger911 »

Thank you, Lorig and MLC, for dishing up such a lovely Thanksgiving treat! :hug: :hearts:
NM911
LIVE WIDE
It ain't canon until they've shot it (and aired it) - I said that.
Trust the Muse. - Catmoon
The system isn't broken, it's fixed. - Billo
MickLifeCrisis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by MickLifeCrisis »

Thank you so much! I'm glad you all enjoyed it. I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

:thanks:
MickLifeCrisis
jen
Cleaner

Re: Follow That Freshie - A Thanksgiving Mystery Ch.6 Final

Post by jen »

That was a wonderful, charming, heartwarming story!

Made even more fun by the fact that two of the participants in serving the Thanksgiving feast were vampires.

Thank you!

Jenna

:hearts: :flowers: :hearts: :flowers:
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix
MickLifeCrisis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by MickLifeCrisis »

Thank you so much for reading and commenting on each chapter, Jenna! i just love picturing Mick and Josef carving and serving turkey! And Josef actually learned something about helping others in the process. I guess you're never too old to learn!

Thanks again! :flowers:
MickLifeCrisis
Marigold
Courtesan

Post by Marigold »

What a great ending! :twothumbs:

Thank you MLC and Lorig, for the wonderful story, and Barnabas, for the beautiful banner! :rose: :flowers:
Fantastic banner by Kath40! Thank you!

Return to “Follow That Freshie - A Thanksgiving Mystery”