10,000 and counting - make that 20,000

A place for redwinter101's G to PG-13 stories
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

10,000 and counting - make that 20,000

Post by redwinter101 »

I thought about posting this note in the "Real Life in General" forum as it's not a story, but that forum sits in "Off The Moonlit Path" and this post is ALL about Moonlight, so I'm posting here in my office.

I should warn you, this post is pure self-indulgence. You see, it's my 10,000th post on this board and that's got me all reflective ( :roll: ) so there are a few things I wanted to say.

I came relatively late to the ML fandom and via a circuitous route - the LivingTV forums in the UK to Hey!Neilsen and then eventually to MLL, where I lurked for ages before finally joining in some time during the writers' strike. I had no experience of fandom or any online community and I was amazed at what I found at MLL. It became more than my online home - it became a place of joy and delight. Views were exchanged, jokes were told, friendships were formed and a generally good time was had by all. For a time it was an amazing place and I loved being part of it.

It was because of the community I found there, with all its wondrous variety and artistry, that I found myself encouraged and inspired to write fiction again for the first time in nearly a decade. The writing community there encouraged me to keep going and I was hooked. I wrote (and kept on writing) and discovered other writers who thrilled and inspired me. It was there I went to rail against the fates when ML was cancelled and I threw myself wholeheartedly into campaigning to bring ML back to our screens.

I know it's a familiar story to most, but what then happened at MLL is also precious to me. As realisation finally dawned that Leeser was not the person I had believed her to be, Busgate broke, the bannination began and battles lines were drawn, this amazing community banded together. People on all sides showed their true colours and for the most part they were a display of peacock-like beauty. Members spoke eloquently of right and wrong, supported those who had been treated so shamefully and sought to ensure that one woman's wrongs would not be allowed to continue without one hell of a fuss. It was terrifying and exhilarating and awful and wonderful all at the same time. But it also signalled the end of a wonderful, wonderful time.

Like most other members, post-MLL I set up camp at VLF and was very happy there, for a time, until January this year when I had a parting of the ways with Gina and upped sticks. For a terrifying few days, I had no online home, no ML meeting place, and nowhere to post my stories. I seriously thought at that time that was the end of my fandom experience until, out of the blue, I got a message from Phoenix about a new site she was thinking of starting. We'd known each other a little at MLL and VLF but her message was still a delightful surprise (and I thought she was a little bonkers for wanting me to be a mod!). She held out the prospect of a new site that could be everything I'd loved about MLL and VLF - and more. Moonlight only. Focused on writing. A place where members can relax, take a breath, a place where there would be no need to fight or argue any more. Needless to say it didn't take me long to sign up - especially since Phoenix was gracious enough to listen to my views on the site and took the time to understand why I couldn't bear a repeat of my MLL or VLF experiences.

So here I am, 10,000 posts later. Because this site has become everything I could possibly have hoped for - and a whole lot more. Yes, we are a small band. It's inevitable given the cancellation and then the fracturing in the fandom. Some people have moved away from ML altogether, on to other passions and I wish them well, even though I miss them terribly. For others, the same urgent need to talk about ML every day has faded with time - I understand that and cherish the time that they choose to spend here. And then there's the rest of us. The Moonlightaholics. The happy little crew who don't care that others don't get our continuing, undiminished love for this show and these characters. You wonderful people are the real reason I spend so much time here and have so much fun.

Phoenix, you have built something beautiful and I am grateful to you every single day.

allegrita, Librarian_7, Lilly, PNWgal, my fellow mods, you put up with my rants and raves, my strange vagaries and horrible moods and you do it with grace and style. Ladies, it's a privilege.

All the other members here, you are random, erudite, funny as hell, passionate, kind, creative, talented, tolerant and seventeen different shades of awesome. As long as this site is here, I will be too (so, er, sorry if you thought you'd get rid of me) and I look forward to another 10,000 posts in your wonderful company.

My sincere thanks, best wishes and love to you all.

Red :heart:

Click here for my story index

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" - Emily Dickinson
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Re: 10,000 and counting

Post by darkstarrising »

Bless you red...with every one of those 10,000 posts we have all benefitted.....your wonderful works of fiction, your kind words of encouragement, your providing information about everything Moonlight.

Congratulations on the 10,000th post and may you have many, many more to come :rose:
darkstarrising
Love – the universal language, the story of Moonlight
View My Fanfic Index

Thanks to the talented and generous Phoenix for my beautiful banner!
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by Lilly »

Damn, Red, you went and made me cry. :hankie:

I was going to say "congratulations" on hitting the 10,000 mark, but I think "thank you" is more in order. You've done so much to make this site what it has become. You are an integral a part of Moonlightaholics, and we are certainly richer, in so many ways, for your presence here.

I'm going to stop now before I get too mushy again. :flowers: :heart:

Here's to you!

Lilly

My Fanfic Index
Avatar from "Matasaburo of the Wind" © 2009 Alex Gross, used with the permission of the artist
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

Thanks, dsr. :smooch:

And a big mushy :hug: for Lilly.

Red

PNWgal
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by PNWgal »

Thank you, Red - this was wonderful and helped me more than you know.

It's so nice to be part of such a great community, especially in light of what we as ML fans have gone through and you're such a big part of why this is a pleasant place to be. (although I will admit that I had to look up 'vagaries' :blushing: )

So I'll raise a :whitewine: to you and to your next 10,000 posts. :hug:

Banner by the talented GuardianAngel

"It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." - George Eliot

"The dogs may bark, but the caravan passes on." - old Arab proverb

"Do the best you can do. Love many. Trust few." - Jack Ingram
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

:hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:
:flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers:
:happysigh: :happysigh: :happysigh: :happysigh: :happysigh: :happysigh: :happysigh: :happysigh: :happysigh: :happysigh: :happysigh:
:smooch: :smooch: :smooch: :smooch: :smooch: :smooch: :smooch: :smooch: :smooch: (nothing BUT slash, but you know that... :heart: )
:hyper2: :hyper2: :hyper2: :hyper2: :hyper2: :hyper2: :hyper2:

And last but never least...
:rose: :rose: :rose: :rose: :rose: :rose: :rose: :rose: :rose: :rose: :rose: :rose: :rose: (MSJ smiley of course... :heart: )
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

PNWgal, a :drinking: to you too. I'm looking forward to the day I can toast you in person.

And Grace, my sweet Grace, big slashy kisses to the best partner in crime a fangirl could ever want. :giggle:

Red :rose: :rose: :rose: :rose: :rose:

librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

Red, it's been a privilege and a pleasure to get better acquainted with you on this site...even when we butt heads (not often, folks, if that had you wondering) you always have my respect.

This site is very special to me, and you are one of the reasons.

Here's to our little oasis of Moonlight (in)sanity!

(Can we all link arms now, and sing Kumbayah?)

:heart:

Lucky
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

:giggle:

Oh honey, you don't ever wanna hear me sing, trust me.

Red :smooch:

allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Aww....... :hankie: :hankie: :hankie: :hug: :hearts:
When Phoenix told me she was thinking of starting a new forum and said she'd like me to be a mod, I was scared to death of the idea. The fact that she'd asked YOU to be a mod here as well was one of the biggest factors that convinced me to put on the big scary green hat. It has truly been a privilege to work with you. I'm proud to call you my cyber-friend and I look forward very much to meeting you in person.

This really is a special community. I love being part of it and helping it run smoothly. And I'm very, very glad that you chose Moonlightaholics for your home--and that you've put so much time, effort, blood, sweat, tears, creativity, and love into this forum. It really shows.

Lilly's right--I want to say Congratulations, but even more, I want to thank you for all you do for Moonlightaholics, my online home. :rose:

Cheers!
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

It's unanimous then... we're keeping her. So don't even TRY to get away from us, Red... :biggrin:
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)
mitzie
Courtesan

Post by mitzie »

:hankie: :hankie: :hankie: :hankie: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: Thank you for being here Red and congratulations!!!! :hearts: :hearts: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :hyper2: :hyper2: :hyper2: :hyper2: :hyper2: :hyper2: :hyper2: :hyper2: :hyper2: :hyper2: :thud: :yahoo: :yahoo: :rose: :rose: :rose: :rose: :rose: :rose: :rose: :rose: :rose: :rose: :rose: :rainbow: :rainbow: :rainbow: :rainbow: :rainbow: :rainbow: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hearts: :hearts: :rose: :flowers: :champs: :champs: :redwine: :redwine:

mitzie :mooncat:
Moonlightsonata
Rogue vampire

Post by Moonlightsonata »

Thank you Red. So glad you are here. Thanks for your posts and stories and thanks to all of those who gave us a place to continue to honor a show that means so much to us.
Thank you Coco for the lovely banner.
cassysj
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by cassysj »

Congratulations Red. I was very glad when I found out about the party over here and so many of my favorite writers had landed.

I wrote my first slash stories in your inspired Slash off on VLF which actually lead me to write a number of different types of stories that I never would have imagined even one year ago.

So I raise a glass of whatever refreshment you would like

:champs: :whitewine: :redwine2: :cocktail: :teacup:

to your first 10,000 posts and onward and upward.
GuardianAngel
Courtesan

Post by GuardianAngel »

I've been kind of busy with RL lately and (gasp!) sorta drifting. This is exactly what I needed - a reminder of why this place is so special and just how much I love it.

It looks like ML has been the catalyst behind drawing many of us out of our shells, braving a lot of 'firsts'. There are so many reasons to be thankful for our wonderful little show, its cast and this fantastic forum.

Thank you, Red. And congratulations on the 10,000 posts.

Return to “redwinter101's Office”