Per Diem: Peek 1 - That Time (PG-13)

A place for GuardianAngel's G to PG-13 stories
GuardianAngel
Courtesan

Per Diem: Peek 1 - That Time (PG-13)

Post by GuardianAngel »

My thanks to rijane for beta-ing for me. I'd be lost without her generosity and wondrous skills.

All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. They are not mine, never have been, never will be. Bummer, I know.

That Time

SLAM

The sound of the door slamming shut had Mick out of the freezer, donning his pants and racing down the stairs.

“Beth?”

No response. Frowning, he listened for any sound in the apartment. Targeting a heart beat in the kitchen, he headed that way.

“Beth?”

The sight that greeted him was one he savored. The petite blonde had her back to him, bending over and rummaging through the fridge. His fantasies came to a screeching halt when she pulled something out, stood up and slammed the door shut. Again.

Mick jumped back before she could plow him down as she passed him and banged a container onto the counter and turned to pin him with a heated glare.

Feeling like something was expected from him, he raised his brows and asked “Bad day?”

“You could say that.” She all but spat at him. “Ben was in a bad mood today and it didn’t help that I was late.”

Beth slapped her sandwich onto a plate.

“I wouldn’t have been late except that someone borrowed my car and didn’t fill the gas tank.”

When she picked up a knife Mick took a step back but she only used it to spread some mustard before tossing it in the sink. The wicked gleam in her eyes told him that she hadn’t missed his subtle movement and she thought he had made a wise choice.

Not sure whether she expected an apology or if it would be better to stay quiet, Mick kept a blank face and took another step back out of her way.

Beth shook her head, rolled her eyes and, with plate in hand, brushed past Mick to make her way to the table.

His nose twitched at the change in her scent.

A quiet, amused “Oh” escaped before he could stop himself.

Beth turned and suspiciously eyed his innocent expression, the small smile hidden behind his hand, knuckle under his nose.

“Oh, what?”

“Nothing.” Thinking it wise to get her mind off his error, he turned to get himself a glass of blood and offered to get her a drink as well.

He should have known better.

Beth set her plate on the table but didn’t sit. “Forget the drink. What did you mean by that, Mick?”

Oh shit. His mouth opened but no words came. He lifted his hand, palm up and prayed that inspiration would hit.

Beth’s head cocked.

“I realized you were a little…..emotional….today.” And for the next four days he silently added in his mind.

More confused than annoyed, Beth shook her head. “Why would I be emotional today?”

Mick groaned and his expression became pained.

“Well….it’s that time…..your time.” Disgusted with himself he closed his eyes and sighed. “It’s your time of the month.”

Beth smiled.

Mick’s blood ran colder. He wondered if he could make it out of the room before she gathered enough air to begin. His thoughts were interrupted by her first question.

“So you think that I'm PMSing? That I’m just being emotional? It couldn’t be that I started off the day on the wrong foot because you borrowed my car and left me with no gas? It couldn’t be because being late pissed off my boss and put me on his shit list all day? Or that it was your turn to do some shopping and all there is to eat is cold cuts.”

Beth cocked her head and shook it sarcastically. “No. It couldn’t be any of that. It must be because I have my period. How stupid of me.” She punctuated the last words by hitting her palm against her forehead.

Mick may be old-fashioned, but he wasn’t stupid. If he let her go on any more he’d be on the couch. That just wasn’t acceptable. Sex during Beth’s time of the month was exceptional. He wasn’t above a little groveling to ensure his place beside her in bed. Donning her favorite grin, he sauntered towards her.

“You think it’s funny?”

“Not at all. I’m sorry about the gas. It was inconsiderate of me.” Mick stood in front of her with a repentant smile and ran a hand down her arm. “Here, I’ll sit with you while you eat and you can tell me all about your day.”

With one last searching, suspicious perusal, Beth sat down and began to eat.

As Mick listened to the blistering description of Ben’s treatment of her after she arrived at work he inwardly counted his blessings. An angry Ben wasn’t going to make passes at Beth. He, Mick was safely off the hook. He inhaled. And he had a very promising night before him.
coco
Cleaner

Re: Per Diem: Peek 1 - That Time (PG-13)

Post by coco »

Just re-visiting my favourites. I think Mick is right to stay on Beth's good side ;)
coco's Fan Vids/coco's Graphic Art
Avi by TugaFanatic & banner by me. Thank you.

"Maybe it was her blood in my veins that let me feel her. The beating of her very living heart. Or maybe, we've always been connected." Mick & Beth - Moonlight

coco's YT channel
coco's Vimeo channel
100% Moonlight Tumblr
:twothumbs:
Moonlighter
Rogue vampire
Location: Found my nice soft place, snuggled up next to Mick in th-this fr-fr-frigid fr-fr-freezer...

Post by Moonlighter »

coco wrote:Just re-visiting my favourites. I think Mick is right to stay on Beth's good side ;)
ITA, coco. Mad Beth = Sad Mick. And we don't want that, do we?

Nice, GA!
Banner courtesy of the wonderfully talented, Moderator Most Awesome, soon-to-be-missed Phoenix!
lila
Freelance freshie

Post by lila »

Oh, this is excellent! Heh, Mick is just one manipulating bastard, isn't he? And yet, somehow, that makes me love him even more... And makes me hope that you'll get the inspiration to write what comes after, GA! ;)
Thank you to Heartgram_lala for my beautiful icon.
starbucksjunkie
Logan's WoW nemesis
Location: Home drinking my own Starbucks and watching my DVDs. There's a recession on!

Post by starbucksjunkie »

:snicker: :snicker: :snicker:

Pissy Beth and scheming Mick. Loved it then, love it now.

"There is a degree to which . . . all literature, highbrow or low, from the Aeneid onward, is fan fiction . . . retelling and reimagining the stories that were told before us and that we have come of age loving--amateurs--we proceed, seeking out the blank places in the map that our favorite writers . . . have left for us . . ." -- Michael Chabon, Maps and Legends
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Now this is just cute and proof that Mick has learned a lot in his eight and a half decades.

Nicely done!
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix
helloeeze
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by helloeeze »

I think for someone who has been not romantically involved with a human in 50 years, Mick knows how to handle one. It's true that sometimes women need to talk and have someone listen. Mick has learned that pretty quickly. Sadly, some "real life" men never learn that about women. Again, Mick's skills are far above and beyond most men, in the bedroom and out!
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Just slipped in for a reread.

Charming. The minor, one sided bickering was just spice to the relationship and you handled that beautifully!

:hearts: :flowers:
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

GA,

the Coffee house has steered me to this little gem! Loved the way Mick read Beth's danger signs and carefully keeps out of her way, but one little "Oh!" gets him into trouble.
He wasn’t above a little groveling to ensure his place beside her in bed.
But our boy knows how to get out of trouble as well :snicker:
darkstarrising
Love – the universal language, the story of Moonlight
View My Fanfic Index

Thanks to the talented and generous Phoenix for my beautiful banner!
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

Very cute, GA...I can see this playing out on screen.

And thanks to the Coffee House for steering me in this direction...it's one I hadn't read before.

Lucky
Phoenix
Moonlightaholic Founder

Post by Phoenix »

When she picked up a knife Mick took a step back but she only used it to spread some mustard before tossing it in the sink. The wicked gleam in her eyes told him that she hadn’t missed his subtle movement and she thought he had made a wise choice.
Eeeeek. :confused2:

Nicely done, GA. :flowers:
Beautiful tag courtesy of SirenSong.
Image My fanfic index. My banner art.

Each player must accept the cards life deals him. But once they are in hand, he alone must decide how to play the cards in order to win the game. Voltaire.
RangerCM
Rogue vampire

Post by RangerCM »

The type of scene all the men in our lives, dread. :snicker: :snicker: :snicker:

I love the way this story moves so smoothly along, intertwining situational comedy throughout.
banner by Cprav
cassysj
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by cassysj »

This is absolutely adorable. Men can't win when it's "That Time" so they should just keep the lady happy.

Very funny.
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

I have read this often, loved it every time and commented (somewhere...) but I'm grateful to the Coffee House for sending me back again. This really is just perfect in every way. You have the cadence spot on - their conversation, mannerisms, the to and fro:
GuardianAngel wrote:A quiet, amused “Oh” escaped before he could stop himself.
Oh man I can SEE Mick.
GuardianAngel wrote:Beth smiled.

Mick’s blood ran colder. He wondered if he could make it out of the room before she gathered enough air to begin.
Sigh. So cute, funny - and just real. Perfect.

ML should have been on cable. Then we might, just might, have seen something as marvellous as this.

Red :heart:

Click here for my story index

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" - Emily Dickinson
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

Totally Mick-humor. If Mick himself were to read fanfic, he would find this story MOST amusing.
I love that about this one. :happysigh:
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)

Return to “GuardianAngel's Office”