Wolf in Sheep's Clothing - Part One (PG-13)

A place for GuardianAngel's G to PG-13 stories
GuardianAngel
Courtesan

Wolf in Sheep's Clothing - Part One (PG-13)

Post by GuardianAngel »

This is part one of a three part story.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. I do not own these characters (although try telling that to my subconscious mind between 12:00 and 6:00 am)

Spoiler: Takes place shortly after Sonata. This Mick and Beth are from Just Right. They’ve already declared their love for one another and have no more secrets. Or do they?

I would like to thank PNWgal who was kind and generous enough to listen while I worked this all out in my head. And, of course, to my beta, rijane, who assures me that this was okay to post but I still have some work ahead of me in the next chapter. lol.

Wolf in Sheep’s Clothing

Dean Foster was missing.

Mick didn’t think it was such a tragedy and was sure a lot of people would agree with him. Unfortunately, LAPD was not among them. Lt. Davis and a couple uniforms had paid him a visit. He didn’t need vampire abilities to know they didn’t believe him. He wouldn’t believe him. That meant he had to find out the story – the real story. So, after a call to Logan for research, he set out to find the Lost Boys. They weren’t too hard to find. He got lucky at the second celebrity hotspot. Getting them to tell him what they knew about Foster was a little more difficult. And he never expected to hear just how well they knew what happened. Or who put them up to it.

Now, Mick sat in his vintage Mercedes staring sightlessly out at the end of workday flow of employees exiting the Kostan building. It was not the fact that Josef had Foster killed that bothered him. He just couldn’t figure out why; nor could he ignore the feeling of unease coiling in his gut. Something was wrong here. Knowing there was only one way to find out, Mick pulled the keys from the ignition and bounded out of the car. Josef had some explaining to do.

Mick strode into the newly renovated, luxuriously appointed office. Noting that Josef was on a call he sat himself in a plush chair facing the desk and the deceptively young looking tycoon. He watched as Josef paced while toggling from spitting commands to nodding in agreement. The mogul’s eyes jumped from the impressive view out his floor to ceiling length window to his guest’s drumming fingers and smiled. The small motion wasn’t lost on Josef; Mick was impatient.

Ending the call, he turned to Mick.

“Hello Mick. So, what do you think of the new office?” Josef pointed to the chair the investigator was sitting in. “You have no idea how hard that chair was to find.”

“Josef.”

“That leather…”

“Josef!”

“All right. But you really should take some pointers. Your office can stand some remodeling.” Knowing he’d pushed about as far as he could, Josef sat down at the desk and gave his full attention to Mick. “So, if not to praise my exceptional taste in furnishing, what brought you here this evening?”

“Dean Foster.” Leaning forward he added, “Or, more accurately, the lack of one Dean Foster.”

“Should the name ring a bell?”

“Since you had him killed, yeah, I think so.” Josef’s only response was a slight, condescending smile which bordered on a smirk. Mick wasn’t in the mood for it.

“No use denying it. I want to know why. Why, did you have him killed Josef?”

Throwing off the veneer of frivolity, Josef sat up and withdrew a file from small shallow draw on his right. He dropped the file on the desk between them and motioned for Mick to open it.

The P.I. slid the file across the glossy agarwood desk and flipped it open. “What’s this?”

Josef left his chair, circled the desk and sat at the corner, facing Mick. “Foster took them.”

The large glossy photos slid through his fingers as Mick looked at one after another: him being hit by a car, him on the ground, Beth helping him up, walking away with Beth under his arm.

“How….where did you get these?”

“Wrong question. The correct question is how did he get them?” Josef was beginning to work up a little steam himself. “When you took that job with the paparazzi princess you made yourself a target.”

Mick flipped through the photos again trying to get his bearings. What was Foster doing following him around? “But once the killer was arrested there was no reason to follow me anymore.”

“No? Well I guess Foster didn’t get the memo.”

“How did you find out? Who gave these to you, Josef?”

“That’s not important.”

Mick jumped up and began to pace. “Not im……” He stopped and turned to Josef with a scowl as a thought occurred to him. “Did you have me followed? Do you distrust me that much?”

“Man, and you call me paranoid?” Josef quickly swiped his bangs to the side before sliding off the desk and walking to the well stocked bar conveniently hidden in an antique secretary.

“Scotch?”

“No. Talk to me Josef. What the hell is going on here?” Something wasn’t right. The coil in his gut cranked up a notch and began to burn.

“Why can’t you just leave it alone? Accept that there is someone looking out for you and the situation was taken care of. If you had just been careful, this never would have been necessary in the first place.”

“Something’s going on here Josef. I have the LAPD snooping around and I need to know what it is.” Mick slowly walked up to older vampire and grasped him by the shoulder. “Who’s been watching me Josef? Who sent you those photos?”

“The police won’t be able to find anything. You have nothing to be worried about. Relax.”

Mick threw his head back in frustration and ran a hand down his face. No one could frustrate him quite like Josef. But he wasn’t leaving without some answers.

“Hey, how about we double date? I’m going to take Simone to a new club that just…”

“Stop. Just stop. I’m not leaving until you tell me how you knew about Foster and how you got those pictures. So spill.”

The two vampires stood for several moments staring eye to eye. Each sizing the other up, trying to decide just how far they would go to do what they needed to. The one with the most to lose caved first.

Josef looked away.

“Mick, look. Someone came to me in confidence and I can’t say who it was. There was no intent to hurt you. Quite the opposite. It was to protect you.”

“I don’t need…” Mick was interrupted by his phone. He intended to turn it off but quickly changed his mind when he saw Logan’s number.

“Logan, what did you find?”

Josef watched Mick’s face as Logan told him what he wanted to know. At least what he thought he wanted to know. As the truth dawned, Mick’s face fell.

The world weary vampire turned to stare out the window. He could hear Logan calling Mick’s name on the other end of the phone. And then silence. “So now you know. Feel better?”

“You son of a bitch.”

“Yes she was, and then some.”

“How could the two of you do this behind my back? How could she?”

Mick began to pace, running his hands through his hair. Josef watched him quietly knowing that nothing he said would make a difference.

Mick felt as if he were suffocating. Beth? Beth was NOT a cold blooded killer! His mind searched for some foothole, a way to make this acceptable. “She didn’t understand what telling you would mean.”

“Don’t delude yourself. She understood.”

Mick turned and faced the older vampire, furious. He couldn’t accept this. This was something Josef would do, not Beth. “She knew you were going to kill Foster?”

“Why do you think she called ME? She knew I wasn’t going to play patty cake with the guy. If it makes you feel better she didn’t take it lightly.”

“That’s supposed to make me feel better? You’ve made her a murderer.” Mick struggled with the burning rage threatening to choke him. But in truth, it wasn’t all directed at the other vampire. “I’ve made her a murderer!”

Josef watched as the setting sun cast hues of orange and red across Mick’s livid face. Much like the hues of guilt and humanity he was casting on his soul. He couldn’t help but shake his head and snicker.

Realizing that there wasn’t much else to be accomplished by staying, Mick stalked to the desk and grabbed the photos. He didn’t say anything else as he passed Josef on his way out.

Joseph had no doubt that Mick was on his way to see Beth. With a twinge of conscience he thought about calling her to give her a heads up but quickly decided against it. No one warned him. And she baited the wolf. Now let her deal with it.
mitzie
Courtesan

Re: Wolf in Sheep's Clothing - Part One (PG-13)

Post by mitzie »

Great start! Beth should have known better than to hide this from Mick!!

Off to read Part Two!! :o

mitzie
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

Love this story....you've captured the repartee between Josef and Mick perfectly. I could see and hear Josef's demeanor change from banter to blunt honesty. the visuals of Mick pacing and running his hands through his hair were also spot on. These last few lines were fabulous and captured their personalities perfectly
Josef watched as the setting sun cast hues of orange and red across Mick’s livid face. Much like the hues of guilt and humanity he was casting on his soul. He couldn’t help but shake his head and snicker.

Realizing that there wasn’t much else to be accomplished by staying, Mick stalked to the desk and grabbed the photos. He didn’t say anything else as he passed Josef on his way out.

Joseph had no doubt that Mick was on his way to see Beth. With a twinge of conscience he thought about calling her to give her a heads up but quickly decided against it. No one warned him. And she baited the wolf. Now let her deal with it.
darkstarrising
Love – the universal language, the story of Moonlight
View My Fanfic Index

Thanks to the talented and generous Phoenix for my beautiful banner!
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

GuardianAngel wrote:Mick threw his head back in frustration and ran a hand down his face. No one could frustrate him quite like Josef. But he wasn’t leaving without some answers.
Oh I can so see Alex/Mick doing that!

I love this story too... so decided it also needed a re read... I always love your Mick/Josef... so spot on... and what can be better than that?
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)
Kara
Fledgling

Post by Kara »

Uh-oh. If I were Beth, I'd get out of town for a while, lol. Brooding vamp would surely not understand she did it to protect him.
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Mick needs to work thru this. This should show him that his Beth is committed to this relationship. That he is not the only one willing to sacrifice and make the hard choices.

Wonderful start! I have read this before and it is even better the second time!

:hearts: :flowers: :hearts: :flowers: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :flowers:
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Had we gotten a second season like we SHOULD have (not that I hold a grudge or anything...) I feel relatively certain we would have seen something like that.

Beth took several steps into the vampire community with going to Josef as she did. She loves Mick and would do just about anything to protect him.

Absolutely wonderful---off to read the next part :teeth:

Jenna

:hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Love this.

Just another one of the many loose ends left hanging and you have showed us a continuation of those events.

Wonderful!
Luxe de Luxe
Sire

Post by Luxe de Luxe »

God, how did I miss this, GA? This is sensational. I couldn't read the lines fast enough and oy, what lines... LOVED this...
GA wrote:She knew I wasn’t going to play patty cake with the guy
You've really hit on a juicy issue here. Mick IS so terribly protective and I, as a viewer, was shocked by Beth's decision, knowing what it meant, how on earth would MIck react. Cant wait to read on and find out.
Banner by the talented Hot Micks
maggatha3
Ancient

Post by maggatha3 »

Great Mick / Josef dialogue! Mick was really not ready for what he was to find out!

:clapping:
-It never ends well...
-Never?
Gorgeous avatar by our talented Lilly .
Banner by the amazing friend Hot Micks!!! .

Return to “GuardianAngel's Office”