Twists of Fate Chapter 21 (PG-13)

francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Twists of Fate Chapter 21 (PG-13)

Post by francis »

The usual disclaimers still apply. Betaed by redwinter101, who really helps me to get it right. Thank you! :rose:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
link from chapter 20:
viewtopic.php?f=75&t=4071
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

When I came back to the office the sun was about to go down, and Carl was preparing the bouncer. I was sitting at my desk to go over some last minute paperwork when Beth arrived.

I could see that she hadn’t slept well, maybe not at all. My first thought was she might only be here to get an inside scoop on her drug story. She wasn’t supposed to use me as a source, and now that we weren’t an item anymore it was odd that she was showing up. But maybe I was being too harsh.

„Rough night?“ I asked.

„You could say that.“

„I’m, uh, I’m glad you’re here. I need to talk to you.“

She startled. „Look, I’m sorry if I was insensitive about your case. I know it’s important to you.“

If that was why she was here, I should apologize for my patronizing behaviour too.
„I don’t know what I was thinking trying to order you off a story.“

„The fact that I was in the club, it was just work. I’m sorry if I embarrassed you.“

I nodded. Maybe I should tell her that it wasn’t my place to be embarrassed any more. Maybe I should ask her about Mick. But how could I ask her if she knew that he was a vampire? Morgan trusted me not to spill the secret, and I needed to think about how to deal with Mick before I said anything.

„I shouldn’t have made such a big deal out of it. It’s just this case driving me crazy. I really messed up. The drug evidence vanished.“

„It’s gone?“ she asked, worried, maybe a bit relieved. Could she know that it was a vampire drug, or how it worked?

„We seized the drug, but there’s nothing illegal about it. Toxicology couldn’t even get a read on it.“

She had that far-away look that she sometimes got when she was mulling over something that she couldn’t tell me. I decided to take a risk and added casually:
„You know, I tried a bit of the drug myself. It was an odd experience.“

She gazed at me, and I saw her face changing quickly between alarm and astonishment. After a long silence she asked: „How did it feel?“

„It was as if I could feel everything, as if my hearing and sight and even smell and taste were enhanced. I didn’t take much, but it lasted for a while. An hour or so.“

She smiled. „After you admitted taking a drug I feel like I can admit that I snatched some of it and tried it, too.“

I felt anger bubbling up, but I suppressed it. Now wasn’t the time for hypocrisy. „So, what did it feel like for you?“

„The same. In fact, I felt so invincible and desirable that I walked over to Mick’s and tried to seduce him.“ She looked down and fiddled with her purse, embarrassed.

I experienced an odd mix of jealousy and contentment when I asked: „Did it work?“

„Partly. He tried to get me down by putting me under a cold shower, but later, when he peeled the wet clothes off of me we… you know.“

I sighed. „You know, this would really hurt me if I hadn’t done something similar with Morgan. She came over this afternoon, and we… you know.“

We exchanged an embarrassed smile, painfully aware that something final had happened, that we were back at being just friends. Somehow it made me happy that it was possible to stay friends after all this. It felt good to talk to her about the case, about life. The awkwardness of not knowing where we stood was over, and I wasn’t even jealous. Not much anyway. I had no right to be.

Which brought me back to Mick.
„Um, Beth… did you notice something about Mick when you were with him?“

„What do you mean?“

„I mean, was he different?“

„Different than what? Do you ask me if he was A better lover than you? I hope to God you’re not that insecure.“

„No, Beth, that’s not what I meant at all. It’s just that I suspect him to be… different. He has some abilities that I noticed that are… off.“

She was clearly alarmed now, so she must have known something that she wasn’t supposed to tell. „I don’t know what you mean. He’s just Mick. I won’t go into discussing his shortcomings and advantages with you. That would just be too awkward. Anyway, I need to go. What will you do now that you can’t find anything illegal in that drug? It’s not as if you can take your own experience to court.“

I smiled about her very unsubtle change of subject, but I understood that Mick’s secret, if Morgan was right, wasn’t hers to tell. „The guy we got from the club is giving us the manufacturer. It’s some woman named Lola. Maybe if we get her, we get the ingredients of the drug.“

There was a knock, and when I opened the door, Carl was outside telling us the bouncer was wired and ready. He told me that he had given them the position of the warehouse. When he saw Beth he was surprised, but greeted her like nothing was different.

Beth took her leave and gave me a good-bye-kiss on the cheek. I went over the final preparations with Carl and then headed out. When we left my office through the other door, Beth was still standing there, calling someone. Shit, after everything she still got her scoop. She had caught on where the raid would be, so she probably got her team together. Well, I had learned a long time ago to work around her and just ignore the camera, so I would do it again.

xxxxxxxxxxxx

The raid was a mess, but in a way it was just like Morgan wanted it to be. At the exact moment when Carl started to tell everybody where to stand and what to do, the whole warehouse complex exploded.

I had seen Beth standing somewhere in the trenches. I was glad she wasn’t standing nearer, as the fire was fierce. While we waited for the firemen to come in, she took her position in a corner from where the camera could pan over the whole site and gave her report to camera. I admired her nerve; in the midst of mayhem she calmly set up a news report.

The fire was so hot that even after the firefighters were through, there was hardly anything recognizable for the CSI team to find. Their report indicated that there had been some kind of laboratory in the back, and there were a few remnants of bodies but not enough to identify them or to tell what they had been wearing. Maybe they were the people working on the drugs. They had not been found where the lab was, so they were probably caught by the explosion on their way out. I concluded that Lola or some of her people had set the explosion in motion when they saw us coming, and sacrificed their witnesses. What a cold blooded killer she was. If Mor-, Coraline was right, she was a vampire with little regard for human life. I had seen what that could entail. For the first time I wondered if Coraline was dangerous, too. And what about Mick? Were they all killers? And if they were – what was I going to do about it?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
link to chapter 22:
viewtopic.php?f=75&t=5238
Last edited by francis on Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coco
Cleaner

Re: Twists of Fate Chapter 21 (PG-13)

Post by coco »

Killer last line, francis. :thumbs:
For the first time I wondered if Coraline was dangerous, too. And what about Mick? Were they all killers? And if they were – what was I going to do about it?
The plot indeed thickens for Josh. How will he handle things from here? And how will Mick or Morgan/Coraline or even Beth hinder his investigation.

I adored Josh and Beth's conversation after the Club. You kind of felt this was a conversation they should have had with each other on the show at some point instead of carrying on as if nothing was changing between them.

Excellent chapter once again, francis. :clapping:
coco's Fan Vids/coco's Graphic Art
Avi by TugaFanatic & banner by me. Thank you.

"Maybe it was her blood in my veins that let me feel her. The beating of her very living heart. Or maybe, we've always been connected." Mick & Beth - Moonlight

coco's YT channel
coco's Vimeo channel
100% Moonlight Tumblr
:twothumbs:
kpyle
Freelance freshie

Post by kpyle »

Great update, and happy to tsee it!

I loved the conversation between Josh and Beth! So nice to see that Mick did let that wall down, and Beth admitting that things happened between them to Josh! That's what should have happened on the show!

Now, what is going to happen when Mick finds out about Coroline? And what are her plans really? She has to playing Josh, doesn't she?

Can't wait for more, so I hope your muse cooperates!! :hearts:

Thanks
Kelly
Thank you Pinkie for my Amazing Banner!
mitzie
Courtesan

Post by mitzie »

So happy to see this new chapter!!!! :hyper2: :hyper2: I like your version of what happened after Mick removed her wet clothes much better than the episode!!!! :yahoo: :mdrama: Josh and Beth talking, now he considers them just friends, sort of. I'm glad he's questioning himself about Coraline. But I think he'll forget all that when he's with her again!!!! :slaphead: :devil: So, Mick didn't start the fire??!! :chin: :dizzy: I love this story and can't wait to see what happens next... :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :clapping: :clapping: :hyper2: :hyper2: :thud: :gasp: :eek2: :dizzy: :devil: :angel: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :thud: :thud: :thud: :thud: :heart: :notworthy: :flowers: :rose:

mitzie :mooncat:
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by francis »

Oh, Mick did, but Josh doesn't know that. This is what he assumes has happened, and Mick and Beth will be quite happy with that assumption, you know. As will Lola, probably. :laugh:
Kylara
Fledgling

Post by Kylara »

I really like this chapter, but I have the feeling there will me more things to come....So Josh knows that Beth Knows something about Mick ? And what is Coraline doing, does she still want Josh to become a vampire ? And did Lola survive the fire ?
Banner by Phoenix
wollstonecraft61
Rogue vampire

Post by wollstonecraft61 »

Ewww, that Coraline/Morgan can start some s**t!!! If Josef finds out about Josh's knowledge, will he let Josh live? Does Coraline even care about that (probably not)? Great chapter, francis!!!
Banner by the beautiful Alyssa Banner by the EXTREMELY talented eris
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Another fabulous chapter.

I must admit that I am spoiled. I just discovered this wonderful story yesterday and have read it all in two days. Not an unpleasant way to spend a few hours.

Really hope to see an update soon!

Pleeeeeeeeeeease???

(shamelessly beggng for new material)

:hearts: :flowers: :hearts: :flowers: :hearts: :flowers: :hearts: :flowers: :hearts: :flowers: :hearts: :flowers: :hearts: :flowers: :hearts: :hearts:
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by francis »

My muse has been absent since summer, jen, but with enough new comments (hint!) and maybe a bit of less RL stress it might come back.
ghostdream
Mortal

Post by ghostdream »

This is such a wonderful story and I have been waiting for an update for such a long time. Wake up little musie, wake up. :whistle: :reading:
mitzie
Courtesan

Post by mitzie »

So...francis, is your Muse still playing hide and seek with you??!! I love, love, love this story and would really love to see a new chapter!!!! :yahoo: :yahoo: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :thud: :thud: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper2: :hyper2: :hyper2: :hyper2: :twothumbs: :biggrin: :devil: :dracula: :eyes: :eyes: :seesaw: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :thud: :thud: :thud: :thud: :heart: :rose: :flowers: :hug: :wave:

mitzie :mooncat:
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Wonderful!!!

And Josh knows about vampires.

Really getting good!

:hearts: :flowers: :hearts: :flowers: :flowers:
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix

Return to “Twists of Fate”