All About Mick #20

Locked Mick St. John threads can be found here
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Re: All About Mick #20

Post by allegrita »

I just checked several online dictionaries, and the pejorative term for person of Irish descent was the only one I found for Mick...and that's the only way I've ever seen "Mick" used.

This is the best one I found for Mickey Finn: http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/mickey-finn.html
HotMicks
Ancient

Post by HotMicks »

^ Sorry, should have included this (bold emphasis added; and acknowledging that Wiki is not always accurate):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mick

Mick may refer to:

* a common nickname for Michael or Victor
* an ethnic slur for a person of Irish heritage (possibly deriving from the patronymic Mac or Mc in many Irish surnames)
* a Roman Catholic of Irish descent
* The Mick, a nickname for Mickey Mantle
* an enemy creature in the NES video game, Kid Icarus
* a character in the Game Boy Color video game, Dragon Warrior Monsters
* a commonly used slang term used in rural parts of South Australia to refer to a friend, usually replacing words such as mate, bloke and lad
* A character in novel The Heart is a Lonely Hunter.

This disambiguation page lists articles associated with the same title. If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.

And also:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mickey_Finn_(drugs)

Mickey Finn (drugs)
This article is about the knockout drink. For other uses of the term, see Mickey Finn (disambiguation).

A Mickey Finn (or simply Mickey) is a slang term for a drink laced with a drug (especially chloral hydrate) given to someone without their knowledge in order to incapacitate them. Serving someone a Mickey Finn is most commonly referred to as slipping a mickey, sometimes spelled "slipping a mickie".

History of term
The Mickey Finn is most likely named for the manager and bartender of a Chicago establishment, the Lone Star Saloon and Palm Garden Restaurant, which operated from 1896 to 1903 in the city's South Loop neighborhood on South State Street[1][2]. In December 1903, several Chicago newspapers document that a Michael "Mickey" Finn managed the Lone Star Saloon and was accused of using knockout drops to incapacitate and rob some of his customers[3][4][5][6].

(There's more at the Wiki site...)
Phee, thanks for illuminating the topic - probably was 'slang' in the 1840s. :rolling: And again... will make up for the :weird: with some pics:

~ Hot Mick's Mistress of Chill
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

Pics are good, HM... go sin some more... :snicker:
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)
HotMicks
Ancient

Post by HotMicks »

^ Okay... I'm in a Mick mood anyway. Is this what penance looks like, Grace?

~ Hot Mick's Mistress of Chill
diane31
Fledgling

Post by diane31 »

Moonlighter: I know I don't have to say how much I agree and feel so very, very much the same... I know that you know just how much...
And yes, with all due crossed-fingers to Alex, October is going to be very, very tough...
To slightly divert the topic from Mick's first name to his surname (and I am really really sorry if this has been discussed before, I haven't caught up with all archive threads yet... :blushing: :blushing: :blushing: Just tell me if it has) does anyone remember what inspired the choice of "St John"? I remember Trevor explaining it in an interview, and I remember it had to do with a religious (catholic?) historical character with John in his name, but beyond that...????

Oh and let me add: Lily OMG, I can never resist a vamped Mick pic!!! Soooooo beautiful... literally awesome! :heart: :heart: :heart:
nutmegger911
Cleaner

Post by nutmegger911 »

HotMicks wrote:^ Okay... I'm in a Mick mood anyway. Is this what penance looks like, Grace?

Maybe it's just me, but this looks more like the precursor to penance. Just a thought. :whistle:
NM911
LIVE WIDE
It ain't canon until they've shot it (and aired it) - I said that.
Trust the Muse. - Catmoon
The system isn't broken, it's fixed. - Billo
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

HM... I LOVE your kind of penance... :hearts:

ETA: NM! :coffee: :coffee: :coffee:

And Diane, honey, that's an interesting question, and I don't remember us discussing it before. And I don't think I ever heard that Trevor discussed it, so if anyone DOES know... would love to hear it!
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)
coco
Cleaner

Post by coco »

In honour of our upcoming watch and chat tonight:

coco's Fan Vids/coco's Graphic Art
Avi by TugaFanatic & banner by me. Thank you.

"Maybe it was her blood in my veins that let me feel her. The beating of her very living heart. Or maybe, we've always been connected." Mick & Beth - Moonlight

coco's YT channel
coco's Vimeo channel
100% Moonlight Tumblr
:twothumbs:
coco
Cleaner

Post by coco »

A couple more cos I can never have enough Mick. :happysigh:

:melts: :melts: :melts:
coco's Fan Vids/coco's Graphic Art
Avi by TugaFanatic & banner by me. Thank you.

"Maybe it was her blood in my veins that let me feel her. The beating of her very living heart. Or maybe, we've always been connected." Mick & Beth - Moonlight

coco's YT channel
coco's Vimeo channel
100% Moonlight Tumblr
:twothumbs:
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by Lilly »

Looks like we've filled up another one. :yes: never fear -- Mick is waiting over on thread #21....
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
Avatar from "Matasaburo of the Wind" © 2009 Alex Gross, used with the permission of the artist

Return to “The Mick St. John Archives”