Interlude-- PG13

A place for MoonShadow's G to PG-13 stories
MoonShadow
Logan's WoW nemesis

Interlude-- PG13

Post by MoonShadow »

NOTE: This is a Freshie Fiction It contains characters from the WFS in addition to our beloved Moonlight regulars

Episode: Loosely based after the Mortal Cure
Pairing: Moonlight regulars plus the WFS Freshies
Rating: PG13 Occasional language Spoilers: I wish, but this is pure fiction!!!
Beta Thank You: Morbius and librarian_7
Summary: Nothing happens by chance, our decisions direct everything around us past and present

CBS & Paramount owns Moonlight, No copyright infringement is intended.

Interlude
by Moonshadow
Chapter 1

Moonshadow took a deep breath, looked up from her desk and glanced out the glass checking the sun. Good, almost down, she thought. Not so early as to be rude and not late enough as to be an interruption in the work day. She laughed at herself and her nervousness. You’d think I was in high school again waiting for a prom date. She stood and reread the hand writing on the invitation for the final time. Alright girlfriend, get a grip. She tucked the note inside, heated the wax and sealed it.

Reaching for the phone Moonshadow paged the courier service, glad that the Annex provided the service to its occupants. Moments later the security panel buzzed the presence of the courier. Moonshadow handed over the elegantly lettered bundle and gratuity. The young man was so obviously a fledgling that she smiled in spite of herself. “As addressed and as quickly as possible please.” She added. He glanced at the name, his eyes widened and nodded curtly to her as he spun in a blurr. “Newbies!” she chuckled.

Mariel looked up from her desk at the fledgling standing before her. Standing was an understatement she thought, the kid was literally vibrating in place. She kept her face carefully neutral as she extended her well manicured hand.

Looking up as Mariel entered his office, he watched as she smiled to herself. He was in full speed pacing, talking as he spun and returned to the far side of the office. His look of concentration lightened briefly as she placed the envelope on his desk, turned, then politely retreated, an exercise in perfect motion.

The snap of the phone announced a pause in the normal flow of his day, curious he turned towards the desk, scenting the hand that had written whatever lay there. As the recognition registered and his curiosity increased, he weighed the unspoken information as it lay in his hand. The paper was quality, the wax seal unbroken and the spider fine script formal; it spoke volumes about the intent held within. Circling gracefully about and seating himself at the desk he stilled himself, allowing this request for his attention. Breaking the seal, sliding the paper from within, he read the words, leaned back and spun the chair about. Staring out the glass his mind worked through the starlit night, savoring the scent.

Moonshadow stretched as the pain stabbing relentlessly down her neck and back, laying the pen aside she stood and padded in stocking feet to the kitchen, jerked open the fridge door and scowled at the brilliant flood of white. “Crumb!” Groceries had been low on the list of priorities. Now however, the reality of an empty fridge and her empty stomach had moved that priority back up the “to do” list significantly.

“Okay, order in or get dressed,” she sighed and grabbed a die. “Odds in, even out” and tossed the ivory cube across the countertop. Laughing at herself she dug for her phone. No one understood the simple pleasure of not having to make a decision these days.

Dialing the number she reflected upon the craving, the driving need humanity exhibited in it’s need to feel “in control”. She shook her head; control was highly overrated and more elusive than a shadow.

Placing her order she turned to stare at the phrase stenciled above the bookcase in her library.

Life happens, the foolish deny it, the wise praise it, and the brave endure it.
She picked up a pencil and had circled around the desk to make a note when the buzz of the security panel grabbed her attention. Checking the screen she was surprised to see the courier standing there. It was the same fledgling as before and he looked annoyed as she keyed the lock, no correct that, he looks hungry she thought. Opening the door she tilted her head briefly, the faintest flash of silver crossed his eyes, she was right he was hungry. Gesturing for him to come in she closed the door behind them. He shoved an envelope at her. Annoyance washed over her before her customary patience took hold,

Walking to the kitchen she said over her shoulder, “Stay put, I have something for you. Gads, she thought, this was such a hard phase for them. She opened the smoked glass door of the wine cooler reached in and withdrew a blood bag. Glancing at the label, waved him into the dining room, “It’s O positive, it’s all I’ve got right now.” She handed him a glass.

“Aren’t you a freshie?” he asked irked at the embarrassment he felt eating at his pride.

Moonshadow let the comment pass. There was no use in teaching a lesson right now. “Eat, then talk” was all she said returning to her desk taking the envelope in her hand. A thrill ran down her spine as she looked at the hand writing on it. So, the opening dialogue has begun.

“Your sire did a pretty lousy job,” Moonshadow threw out as the fledgling finished the glass. She didn’t have to be a vamp to catch the flush that pinked his cheeks. She didn’t even look his way, instead she sat quietly waiting, watching without looking. This fledgling was different, there was something about this kid that made her radar go off.

“Okay let’s back up” she looked over at him, “What happened to your sire?” His eyes closed her out and he refused to look her way, instead he focused on the skyline and the blackness beyond.

Wrong question, she stood and walked over pouring the glass full again, and moved off. His body english was screaming at her, if she could only get him to talk, there might be a chance of getting this kid back on the right track. “Living on the streets isn’t a crime. There are a lot of dos and don’ts you need to be aware of with Freshies. That is unless; you don’t care about seeing your next sunrise.” The flinch was so subtle she almost missed it. Hmmm… touched something with that one.

“What’s all that” he asked indicating the avalanche of paper on her desk, file cabinet and floor.

“With luck, it’s going to be a new business. If not, it’s just a bunch of wasted trees.”

His snort of laughter was the first indication that she was getting past his armor. “Whatcha ya selling?”

“Clean air. Your sire?”

He shrugged, “Awesome legs, pretty brown hair, French,” his throat bobbed as he swallowed, “dumped my ass after the big surprise.” His face looked ragged, “happy?” he snapped.

Moonshadow looked out the window. She took a deep breath to still the storm that roiled within her heart. No way! A rogue? “Wait a minute let me get this, You got turned and dumped?” Ergh, it was her turn to blush, “Lousy choice of words. Sorry. How did you end up here?”

He shrugged and sneered, “Just lucky I guess,”

“Look I just want to know how you got in here.”

He looked down as the narrative flowed out of him, “I was jackin this sweet ride and this dude caught me. He like… took this big drag off me, grabbed my shirt and threw me across the street. I figured I was a goner. I mean hey, who parks a Mercedes in the warehouse district? Anyway, big dude walks over, picks me up, I’m thinking awh shit this is it. And he shoves this card at me and walks off. So, like here I am.” He leapt to his feet looking lost.

Mick, it had to be Mick. He was the only vamp she could think of that would give this kid a second chance.

Where do you stay during the day? Funny, she thought, I didn’t even think of him as a fledgling that time.

“Around.” He eyed the glass hungrily.

Moonshadow rose thinking fast. Around? Who moves a freezer around, the lights clicked on, oh Duh Ace, he’s on the street. As she refilled his glass it come together, he doesn’t have one.

She looked over at the pile of paper still waiting for her attention and sighed this really wasn’t a great time to be taking on another project, but then it never was.

“Sit down and eat,” Moonshadow said walking around the end of the table.

“Nothing happens by chance does it?” As she waved off his reply Moonshadow added silently; and it is our actions that define us. The words echoed through her heart.

“Okay, look you caught one break and didn’t blow it so tonight’s your lucky night. You just got another one. You stay in my fridge tonight. I’ll make some calls and find you somewhere to stay.”

“Why” he fired off defensive.

Clearly this kid had lived by the seat of his pants and the speed of his fists for awhile. “It’s just something I do. Take it or leave it. You got a death wish then leave now and someone else will be happy to take your place.”

He stood glancing about obviously at a loss as what to do next. “Listen what I said before.”

She shook her head, “No need.” The kid at least had the decency to be ashamed, she added, “Listen, just because you sire did a crappy job doesn’t mean you have to throw away good opportunities.”

Walking to the desk, she pulled out a drawer and took out a twenty, headed for the door and opened it. Handing him the money smiled drily, “Oh, and the question you need to consider is Willing.” She emphasized the word.

“I’m sorry.” He mumbled.

Moonshadow smiled, if only all lessons in life could be this easy she thought to herself.

She shrugged and gestured for him to leave. Halfway through he paused, turned and practically bowed as he mumbled, “thanks”.

As the electronic lock clicked she snorted and shook her head. God she felt old some days.

Chapter 2

Looking down at the envelope laying on the glossy surface of her desk, her breath caught, Moonshadow, this is stupid, a thank you note would have worked. Picking up the envelope she noticed the exquisite writing. Admiring the artistry she slowly turned the envelope over, looked at the seal. How like him to respond in kind, she thought smiling. Well here goes nothing. She broke the seal slid the note from its embrace carefully unfolded it and read. Dropping both on the desk, Moonshadow slowly walked to the window and looked out across the sea of lights.

The initial offer had been countered. Dialogue had moved to the negotiation phase, she smiled at the analogy. Opening her phone as she walked to her closet and dialing Moonshadow quickly confirmed plans, made reservations and scheduled appointments. By the next business day, everything would be in place.

Now back to the problem of her fledgling. Moonshadow caught herself and burst out laughing. Mick had no idea she thought as she ran a hand through the mess on her head. Pulling the clip that was awkwardly hanging there she dialed her phone with the other hand. “Hey Mick, Moonshadow.”

The alarm went off to an empty bed. Moonshadow walked from the bathroom, absently shut off the alarm and circled back to finish brushing. The security panel buzzed. Right on time, she noted looking at the clock on her way to the door.

As she opened the door he jumped and looked about. He sidled in and shoved his hands into his pockets, ducked away from the salmon glow of the dawn.

“This way” Moonshadow jerked open the fridge, glad that she hadn’t gotten groceries yet. The look on his face was priceless, she nearly burst out laughing.

“I thought you were kidding. Hey lady, No way.” He swung around moving towards the door. “Too friggin weird!”

“Most use a freezer, it slows the decay of your body and it’s safer than an overpass. Or are you using a storm drain?”

He stopped in midstride, shoulders hunched over and defensive as hell again.

“I told you I’d find you a mentor. There’s a lot to this vamp stuff. So, climb in or get out. I’ve got a wicked schedule today and I need to leave.”

“How do you know I won’t clean you out once you’re gone?”

Turning away from him Moonshadow walked into the living room. “Mick meet Carjack. Carjack meet Big Dude with the card.”

“Shit”

Mick looked at the fledgling, “Lesson one mouth, respect. Moonshadow’s done a lot for you already. Don’t give me a reason to call the cleaner.”

Moonshadow stood slightly behind Mick at ease in her customary place. “There’s another bag of blood in the wine chiller. I’ll have something for you when I get back at sunset. Besides,” she added as she followed Mick to the door, “who’d try to hock books.”

Mick held her laptop as she gathered up the usual paraphernalia that her days required. Looking at each other they listened as the fledgling tried to get settled into her fridge for the day.

“Are you sure you want to do this?” Mick asked curiously.

Dropping a hand to his arm as they walked, Moonshadow smiled. “Mick what do you know about this kid?”

“I know who turned him but I don’t know how he survived.”

Moonshadow swung her gaze up to his troubled profile.

“Coraline and her favorite sidekick were turning rogues and killing them.”

Moonshadow said nothing as they walked letting Mick work out what he wanted to say.

“They were experimenting on vamps.”

Her hand tightened imperceptibly on his arm. “Is he in danger?” she asked softly.

“No, Coraline’s gone. But he is a danger.”

“I thought Mariel might consider,”

Mick shook his head interrupting her. “Shadow, no one’s going to want to take on the responsibility of a rogue.”

She looked levelly at Mick, the blue grey of her eyes growing dark. “I did.”

The silence lasted several minutes; Mick blew a breath of resigned air, laid his hand over hers and squeezed it gently.

She smiled and leaned into his shoulder, “How’s Beth?”

Chapter 3

Mariel’s phone vibrated in her jacket, walking to the closet she fished out the device and glanced at the ID before answering. “Yes?”

Moonshadow really had no idea how old Mariel was or where she came from. The stoic calmness that Mariel embodied always conjured up the image of Mother Superior for Moonshadow. Unfortunately, it also brought up the memories of her days in the principle’s office answering for the misdeeds of the day.

“Mo- Mariel, Moonshadow, I apologize for disturbing you.”

“Not at all, how may I help you Moonshadow?”

“I need to make arrangements for the corporate jet and limo transportation.”

“For what date and time?”

“I’ll fax the entire agenda to you.”

“Thank you that will be most helpful. I will confirm the arrangements with you upon Mr. Kostan’s approval.”

“Err, that’s a bit of a problem. Mariel this is a surprise for Mr. Kostan.”

“Do you think that wise Moonshadow? Mr. Kostan prefers to be apprised of all scheduled events in advance.”

Moonshadow cringed at the reprimand. Gads she could almost smell the floor wax and chalk dust. “Mariel this is a gift.”

“Please fax the agenda and I will confirm the arrangements.” The call disconnected.

Moonshadow’s nose crunched as she gritted her teeth and hit send on the fax. She knew better than to keep Mother Superior waiting.

As she worked through the numbers and documents again the nagging problem of her house guest kept popping up. Finally, with a sigh she dropped the pencil, grabbed her jacket and headed for the gym. Thirty minutes on the elliptical would help sort out the fuzziness.

She slammed the locker shut wiping the sweat from her face satisfied with her workout. A few things had fallen into place. First, Carjack would have to demonstrate a desire to move up. Second, throwing this kid to the vamps was a sure way to get him killed and last but not least until she knew a little more about him she couldn’t ask anyone to assume the responsibility of sire. Mick had agreed to research the kid’s background and give her a run down on what he found.

The warm water splattered about the shower as she stood lost in thought.

“Hey MS! You asleep?”

She jerked and looked over at the familiar voice, “Hey yourself!”

Three stalls down Susie’s blond head bobbed about. “I could use a nap.”

Moonshadow laughed, “Yeah vamp hours are killers aren’t they!” The standing joke was a welcome break in her thoughts. Toweling off and grabbing a robe she tied it tightly about herself, stepped over the threshold and walked back to the lockers. “Long time no see Susie. How goes the job?”

“Good, I’m off to D.C. again. I’ve got a training seminar next week.”

“Let’s have lunch when you get back.”

“Sounds good.” Susie buckled her shoulder holster into place and grabbed her makeup bag as she walked to the mirrors. “You been busy?” She hollered over the roar of her blow dryer.

“Yeah, I’m putting together another business proposal.” Moonshadow laughed. “You know me, too many irons in the fire and not enough good sense to know when to quit.”

“Isn’t that the truth!” Susie laughed as she finished blowing her hair.

As more Freshies wandered into the locker room, the noise level rose ending the banter.

Sliding on her shoes Moonshadow grabbed her own makeup kit once again lost in thought. She stopped, grabbed a notebook and pencil, stopped at the mirrored counter and jotted several notes before plugging in her own blow dryer and setting to work on the tangled mess.

Moonshadow sipped on the Pinot Grigio as she waited for her lunch to arrive. She looked up as Lilly and Lucky walked through the entrance and waved. Lilly looked tense and nervous. “Want to join me?” she offered. “Where are Faction and Allara?” Moonshadow asked looking for the missing faces.

“Not going to make it today.” Lucky replied holding up her phone, showing a text message there. “They got tied up and cancelled on us.”

“Please grab a seat, I already ordered. It’s going to be a short lunch for me today.” Moonshadow added.

“What’s up?” Lilly asked softly as she placed her order.

Moonshadow laughed softly, “Just a typical work week, too much to do and not enough time to get it all done.”

They toasted as the drinks arrived, “Isn’t that the truth!” Lilly laughed.

Mick had emailed everything he’d found on Bryon W. Kopec. It turned out Bryon was twenty and possessed a short juvie rapsheet, mostly minor stuff. With one charge of petty theft, for stealing some old lady’s yard gnome. Evidently, she’d gotten tired of the kids stealing it. Bryon had been cold cocked by the electric fencer she’d wired up to it. Slowed him down though, Moonshadow thought with laugh, it was his last court record. Either he learned to look for hot wires or gave up gnome ‘napping.

Bryon had been a average student, nothing spectacular in his school record. He did show an above average mechanical aptitude. In fact he’d earned a VICA scholarship based on his ability.

She looked out the window, Well that explains his appreciation for a “sweet ride” as he put it. She smiled at the thought of Mick’s 1965 Mercedes Benz 250SE. Carjack was spot on, with that opinion, the Benz is one sweet ride.

Well, that was one talent that could prove beneficial and it gave her another idea. She looked back at the information on her screen. Parents divorced a couple of siblings, no address, and no recent work record. Something happened to this kid between graduation and twenty. Moonshadow’s pencil tapped the desk giving voice to her irritation. What ever it was; it didn’t show up in the paper trail. Rather it showed up because of the void that existed there.

Well enough about you Carjack aka Bryon. I need to find a dress. She shut off the computer system, gathered her phone and checked her purse for her PDA. Moonshadow pulled on her coat and locked the door she thought about the stores she needed to shop at. Shoes, I need to find a new pair of shoes.

“Madam, you’ll have to set the Blackberry aside if you want the hem to be correct.”

Moonshadow blinked and snapped her head upright, Madam?! She scowled into the mirror searching for wrinkles and gray hairs. Stab me and slab me, sheesh. “Here, would you set my PDA by my purse?” Twit.

Moonshadow twisted on the dais, setting off a swirl through the elegant sweep of silken black fabric. Smiling at the sight, perfect she added as the delicate straps of leather slid past her view beneath the hemline.

Chapter 4

Heading back to her office Moonshadow swung by Mick’s place. He had agreed to pick up a bag of blood for Carjack. She knew full well it was more about keeping her safe than it was about taking care of a homeless vamp. Mick hadn’t appreciated her joke about he and Carjack being blood brothers. She snorted at the memory of Mick’s face and the distaste he’d expressed for that idea.

Beth might be the best thing that ever happened to Mick but Moonshadow didn’t envy her. Coraline had done permanent damage to Mick’s heart and Moonshadow knew it would take Mick years to get past it, if he ever could.

What was truly repugnant was the disregard that Coraline continued to display not only towards humans but also towards her own kind. It appeared that, to Coraline, all life was disposable as if it were nothing more than a tissue to be used and discarded.

Moonshadow sighed and the motto that had become her personal mantra echoed through her once more. Our actions define us. To Moonshadow it didn’t matter, if you were human or vamp, male or female, young or old. How you chose to act, defined who you were and nothing could change that but your own actions.

The late afternoon haze had settled over the city. Spring was quickly giving way to summers heat. Moonshadow stepped from her car, locked it behind her and headed to the FoS. Glancing at her watch she knew Mick would be asleep. Moonshadow punched in the code and waited in the column of light that shone from overhead. Dust motes danced in a stately waltz endlessly performing for the haunted eyes of the art that hung there. The panel beeped its acceptance and the locks slid free allowing the door to pop slightly.

She pulled the heavy weight open, slipped into the silence and stood absorbing the welcome sense of home. It happened to her every time she entered this room. Moonshadow was still unable to explain it logically either to herself or anyone else. The temptation to linger felt like a visceral hunger, an aching need in her very soul. Moonshadow knew hours could, and often would, vanish in the zen like calm of this place.

The trust she was trying to build with this kid was at a very fragile point and a no show on her part would shatter everything she’d worked to accomplish up to this point. Staying was impossible, this time.

Walking to the kitchen she opened the secret fridge where Mick kept his bagged blood. Pulling out the bags Mick had marked with a post it note Moonshadow glanced down at the label, O positive again. She set the bags on the stainless steel counter opened a drawer and took out a pad of paper and pen.

Moonshadow folded the note and stood it on a shelf by the glass decanters that glimmered and sparkled in their mirrored reflections. She knew Mick would spot it immediately, but most of the Freshies would miss it. Keeping Bryon protected was becoming a priority with her. Once this kid understood how his world really worked she would introduce him to a couple of Freshies but right now, her instincts told her that wasn’t a good idea. One thing Moonshadow had learned to trust was her instincts.

Bryon was just waking when she keyed her own front door. “Hungry” she hollered out as she stashed her purse and jacket.

“Ya offering?”

“Nice try Carjack”

“Can you blame me?”

Moonshadow laughed as she handed the bag to Bryon and stashed the other in the wine cooler. “I’ve got some feelers out but nothing firm yet. So, you are welcome to come back here at sunrise.”

“Why you doin this?” he asked guardedly as he sucked greedily from the glass, his eyes silver.

“It’s personal with me.” Moonshadow answered softly as she walked to the window. She crossed her arms, leaned against the glass and listened to the sunset, longing to be across the plaza.

“You were right you know”, Bryon added.

Moonshadow didn’t move, giving him time to test his ground.

“the cold, the fridge, was right. Man it was the best sleep I’ve had since…” His voice fell off.

Well that’s a start she thought. She nodded her head still staring out at the fortress walls. “I’ll plan on seeing you at dawn then.” She called out as he reached for the doorknob. “Bryon, it will get better, I promise.”

The fax beeped to life and spat out a sheet of paper. Mariel had the dates and times confirmed. Moonshadow smiled as she read the notation, Reservations per Freshie request. Efficient as ever at putting everything and everyone into their places Mariel left little doubt regarding her opinion. Moonshadow blew out a long breath of air; everything was ready. Hopefully this would turn out as well as she hoped.

Beat and ready to call it a night, she locked the door and walked to her bedroom. Tomorrow she was scheduled to pitch the new business proposal to the board. Moonshadow wanted all the rest she could get and gratefully she fell into a deep and dreamless sleep.

The alarm went off to an empty bed again. Moonshadow trotted in from the bathroom, shut off the annoying buzz and grinned, “Game on boys let’s go”.

Chapter 5

Moonshadow walked to the door, concerned that Bryon was late. It wasn’t what she had come to expect from him. So far he had a pretty decent track record. Granted it was a short track but she usually wasn’t wrong. Just then the door buzzed, Moonshadow opened the door and Bryon look embarrassed as he held out a bouquet of flowers.

“I didn’t know how to say thanks. Some of the other Freshies said you liked flowers.”

“Come on in, I’ll be out of here in just a minute”.

Moonshadow smiled, the naïve innocence of his gesture touched her as it also worried her. “Thanks kiddo!” Pleased his face flushed scarlet again. “Listen I have to run and I won’t be back until tomorrow. I’ll be out of town so I made some arrangements for a freezer to be delivered to one of the empty apartments. Your code key is on the counter. I also had a fridge delivered and a blood delivery will be dropped off at the courier office for you. It’s O positive again but it’ll be enough to get you by.”

The look on his face grabbed her heart. She didn’t want to hurt this kid but she didn’t want him to misunderstand her actions either.

“Bryon, I have an idea about a pretty good job that you’d be good at but I won’t know positively until after the meeting this morning. Can I call you later with the details if it’s a go?”

“Yeah sure,” came the shuffling reply.

She knew there was more to be said.

“You never said why you’re helping me. What am I to you? A pity project? Good deed for the week, oh let’s fix Bryon.”

It was painful to see the emotion roiling so obvious in his eyes. They walked to the kitchen in the salmon gold light of dawn.

“Bryon, you are far from a pity project. I told you it’s personal for me. It’s a very long story that I don’t have time to share right now, but the jist of it is this. I believe that how we treat ourselves and everyone around us reflects the kind of world we live in.”

The fledgling looked haunted and Moonshadow knew; he had killed.

“Learning how to exist as a vamp isn’t easy. You need someone to fill in the gaps if you’re going to make it.”

He looked up, penetrating her with his stare. “You believe I’m gonna make it?”

“Yes I do. I believe you have what it takes. Once we give you a fighting chance it’s going to be up to you to prove it.”

“You keep talking about a chance. Who’s out to get me? The Boogieman? I mean shit, look at me. I can’t stand food anymore, I crave blood and it hurts like hell to be out in the sun. How much friggin worse could it get?”

A lot worse Moonshadow thought sadly. “Listen, there’s a lot of info that a sire passes on to a fledgling. Even a Freshie isn’t privilege to the whole scoop. So trust me on this?”

She offered her hand; slowly he reached out and took it. As she shook the cool hand that was clasped in her warms one he looked her in the eyes. Moonshadow knew that he was hurt. But, the sooner Bryon understood the sooner he’d move on. Who knew she thought, maybe in a couple of years they’d be good enough friends that they could laugh about high school crushes.

Moonshadow always found it ironic that infatuation was referred to as a crush. Whoever came up with that certainly understood how devastated your heart could feel.

“Let’s get these into some water, they are beautiful and thank you. I do love flowers.”

She grabbed a vase filled it with water and took care to arrange the stems. As she set them on the table she turned the vase with care to show them off to their best advantage. She watched him staring at the fridge.

Moonshadow dried her hands, collected up her keys, purse and headed for the door. As she swung the strap of her laptop bag over her shoulder she caught the sound of him climbing into the fridge. She smiled as she locked the door behind her. If he thought it was weird sleeping in a fridge, how did he think she felt about having a vamp sleeping in her fridge? She shook her head and decided she’d just have to buy a new one. The thought of putting food back into that one was just a little more than she could handle.

Once the elevator door closed she dialed Mick’s office and left a short message. Moonshadow didn’t want to call his cell; she knew that he would be down for the day by now.

The drive to the office helped clear her head. The Annex had been a success. She had a solid proposal. The cash flow was good and the economy had positioned the market in her favor. It was time to make a go of this, Moonshadow smiled confidentially.

Mariel placed the bound portfolios before each member of the board as Moonshadow opened her laptop, dropped the screen and introduced her new business. Four hours later she walked out, exhausted and elated.

Chapter 6

The afternoon flew by, Moonshadow moved through her list of to do items methodically. She’d even taken the liberty of treating herself to a massage and a nap. This evening was going to be special; an event that she wanted to cherish for a long time to come. When she rose to meet Josef’s chauffeur deep inside Moonshadow felt like a princess. But this princess had gotten here by her own strength, stamina and determination. And, she laughed to herself, Josef was definitely no Prince Charming, charming yes, but definitely no prince.

The liquid black silk whispered as she approached the limo, she knew Josef was watching, Moonshadow smiled as the door opened. “Secrets I like Shadow, surprises, not so much.”

“Josef! Didn’t your mother ever make you wait for your presents?”

“Mysterious and delicious as ever. We’re flying I know that.”

We are. I thought you might like a little; interlude this evening.”

The private jet landed in San Francisco, taxied to the private hanger and was met by another limo. The moon had risen over the horizon as they stepped out, the gentle breeze from the bay moved warm and soft tugging at her silk wrap. A short ride brought them to the entrance of the Davies Symphony Hall.

“Well done Shadow. You succeeded in surprising me. So, just how did you know I like classical music?”

Mooshadow laugh softly, pleased to see a genuine light of anticipation in his eyes. “Oh, this is just the start of the surprise.” As they entered the private box Moonshadow handed him a copy of the program. “When I saw who was playing combined with what had been selected. I knew I wanted to share this with the one person I knew who would truly appreciate it.”

She waited as he scanned over the concert itinerary. The Berlin Philharmonic in conjunction with the People of Genoa are proud to present this tribute to Nicolo Pagaini. Josef looked quickly at Moonshadow, she smiled and nodded. “They brought it.”

“How did you know?”

“It wasn’t hard to put all the pieces together”

The house lights dimmed as young Mr. Anar Ibrahimov walked on stage to the crashing applause of the crowd. “Moonshadow, sometimes you surprise even me.” The opening strains of the Rachmaninoff soared.

The Liszt and Brahms were lovely but both knew the real delight of the evening was coming. At the intermission Moonshadow accepted a glass of wine, sipped the syrah and turned to Josef.

“I’m curious, why did you give him the Guarnerius? You knew he had a gambling addiction.”

Josef smiled at the question, “Shadow! I’m surprised. You know dead men tell no tales.”

“You sir are far from dead.”

“But the wealthy French merchant that gave away that Guarnerius has been dead for a very long time.”

Moonshadow laughed softly, finished her wine and took Josef’s arm as they walked back to the box.

Standing in the spotlight, the opening notes of the Caprice 24 washed away everything and everyone else. It spoke with an ethereal golden throat reaching deep into their souls.

Moonshadow smiled softly as she elegantly slid her left hand into his, meeting Josef’s eyes honestly. Josef could count on one hand the number of times that he had savored her complex flavor. She turned her palm upwards and lifted it; her offer a perfect motion, perfectly placed within the dulcet notes of Paganini’s best piece. The motion dovetailed the swirl of notes as it sweep about them filling their senses erasing all else.

The music rose in an achingly sweet crescendo, notes whipping about in inhuman speed and complexity. Moonshadow felt her heart rise with the sweep of the melody, the beat strong and wild, unifying them both. Her eyes closed, Moonshadow allowed the music to take her. She smiled as she felt Josef wrap his handkerchief about her wrist. She’d never even noticed when he’d withdrawn it from a pocket.

When he placed a single kiss in the cup of her open hand she opened her eyes surprised and his whispered Merci touched her heart. Moonshadow slid a length of the black silk wrap over her arm wrapping it once over the handkerchief, shielding the mark from view.

As they rose applauding Josef held her elbow and leaned into her ear, “Shadow a thank you note would have worked.”

She smiled and nodded softly, “True, but our actions define us don’t they.”

~~finis~~

Historical note:
The Guarnerius violin discussed here was in fact, lost in a poker match by Pagaini. It was later donated to the city of Genoa by an unknown wealthy French gentleman. It is also believed that Pagaini wrote the Caprice 24 based upon the inspiration that sprang from the beautiful voice of that violin.
Banner by Lilly

Be bloody, bold, and resolute; laugh to scorn
The power of man, for none of woman born
Shall harm Macbeth.

Macbeth, 4. 1
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Re: Interlude-- PG13

Post by francis »

This was a very intricately woven story, the business deal, the surprise for Josef and the rescue of the fledgling all put together. As I don't have any backstory on Moonshadow I would really love to see what happened to the fledgling later, and how Moonshadow came to be who she is. But this is altogether lovely, especially the ending.
MoonShadow
Logan's WoW nemesis

Re: Interlude-- PG13

Post by MoonShadow »

francis,

This story was fun to write, the Caprice24 was on the radio and research about the Guarnerius evolved from that performance. Josef told me the "inside" story and somehow the fledgling stumbled in along the way, :snicker:

I am delighted that you enjoyed the story, I hope others will give it a chance. It's one of those tidbits that would have made a fun sidestory for a seasonal episode.

Salute'
Banner by Lilly

Be bloody, bold, and resolute; laugh to scorn
The power of man, for none of woman born
Shall harm Macbeth.

Macbeth, 4. 1

Return to “MoonShadow's Office”