Facing Demons. PG-13 (sequel to Family Reunion)

Phoenix
Moonlightaholic Founder

Facing Demons. PG-13 (sequel to Family Reunion)

Post by Phoenix »

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original character, Emma, and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

Characters: Coraline; Mick; plus Emma; Beth; and Lance.

Rating: PG-13 for adult themes, occasional coarse language.

A/N: This story is a mix of canon and AU. In order to create a timeline, I borrowed from my Josef & Emma series. Accordingly, this takes place after the events of Sonata. The most important things to know are that Josef is married to his fledgling, Emma, and Coraline knows that Beth struck a deal with Josef to have Dean Foster, (the photographer in Click), killed.

This story is also the second part of the Family Values trilogy, which begins with Family Reunion, (written as a collaborative effort with Grace for Champagne Challenge #106), and ends with Six Months, (written for Champagne Challenge #107).

This was an incredibly difficult and depressing story to write, because to me, canon Mick’s inaction never made sense. While I take full responsibility for this story, before anyone sends hate mail, please remember that the opinions expressed by the characters are not necessarily shared by the author.

Dedication: To Grace and GuardianAngel, who both asked if I intended to continue the story that began with Family Reunion.

Back to Family Reunion.

Facing Demons.

“Busy as my husband is these days, he will notice if I’m not home before sunrise,” Emma quipped as she pulled on her coat.

“That’s good,” Coraline laughed. “Even though there’s nobody waiting for me, I need to get home, too.”

“Coraline, wait,” Mick rumbled. “Can you stay for a few minutes?”

“Sure – if it’s important.”

Mick nodded once.

It’s important.

Emma looked a little concerned as her gaze shifted from one friend to the other. She walked across to Coraline, who was standing with her back to the sink, and the two women embraced.

“Thank you so much for the lessons, Coraline,” Emma said. “I think I’m slowly getting the hang of it.”

“You’re doing really well.” Coraline smiled warmly. “You’ll be speaking fluently in no time – then Josef will have to swear at me in German, instead of French...”

Emma stepped back, shook her head and muttered, “I’m trying to get him to stop swearing at you in any language!” She turned towards Mick. “Thank you for your hospitality, and for the lesson, Mick.”

“You’re welcome, Emma,” he replied, and confirmed his words with a lopsided grin.

When Mick and Emma reached the door, she turned back to face Coraline.

“Are we still on for tomorrow night?”

“Of course. I’m looking forward to it.”

“Great.” Emma looked up at Mick. “See you in a couple of days then?”

He nodded, and closed the door behind the young vampire. As he walked back towards the kitchen, he looked intently at his silent ex-wife. With her artfully applied make up, black pants and elegant blouse, she looked barely older than Emma. The women could easily pass as sisters, even though their age difference was measured in centuries.

“So what’s the deal tomorrow night?”

“We’re going shopping and then on to a club that’s just opened.”

Mick paused mid-step, and his eyebrows knitted together.

“Emma looks like she’s got complete control, but remember that she’s still a fledgling.”

“What do you take me for? I love Emma. She’s like a combination of the sister I always wanted and the daughter I should have had.” Coraline tilted her head slightly and regarded Mick. “I’m not going to let any harm come to her.”

“Just don’t let her harm anyone else, either,” he responded sharply. “She’s not like any other vampire you know. If she hurts someone, she’ll never forgive herself.”

Mick stopped next to the staircase and ran one hand through his hair.

Okay. Time to stop stalling.

“What’s on your mind, Mick? You’ve been giving me strange looks all night.”

“No I haven’t.”

“Emma noticed, too...” He studied the floor until Coraline finally gave in and filled the silence. “She’s a quick study. If we could just do something about her appalling accent–”

“I think her Aussie accent is cute,” Mick interjected as he met Coraline’s gaze.

“So do I – when she’s speaking English. But French spoken with an Aussie accent is just...” Coraline closed her eyes and shuddered.

“With any luck, she’s gonna pick up your accent ... over time.”

“Maybe,” she sighed. “I’d love to take her to Paris for a week – you know, to really immerse her in the language and culture.”

“I don’t think Josef would trust you to take care of his fledgling for a whole week.”

“Emma is Josef’s wife, not his property, so she can make her own decisions.” Coraline looked at her watch. “Well, if we’re done discussing Emma’s French lessons, I’d better get going. I guess I’ll see you on Monday?”

“Lance came to see me.”

“Really?” Coraline responded in a noncommittal tone.

“Yeah.”

As if you didn’t know.

“Mick?” Coraline waved as though she needed to catch his attention. “Are you going to make me ask what he wanted?”

“He came to talk about you.” Coraline stiffened, but her expression remained serene, so Mick pressed. “Lance told me what your sire did to you ... after he took you away that night...”

“I really don’t want to talk about the past, Mick.”

Damn you’re good. You look so innocent.

“So was the surprise visit your idea or his?”

“I had no idea that he planned to see you.” She shook her head for emphasis. “He hates being away from Europe, so I had no reason to suspect–”

“You expect me to believe that?” Mick demanded.

Coraline noticed that his voice had risen to a mellow tenor, instead of his usual baritone. Mick was far more upset than his expression revealed, so she responded carefully.

“You’re the one who brought the subject up. Not me.”

Coraline looked over to where her coat and purse were laying on the sofa. Mick moved quickly and grabbed her upper arm.

“Your brother claimed that you almost died.”

Tell me that’s not true.

“What else did he say?”

“Why don’t you tell me what the two of you rehearsed?” He leaned closer, his fangs visible behind his tight smile. “And I’ll tell you if he stuck to the script.”

“You know, Mick,” Coraline spoke softly as she placed her cool hand squarely in the centre of his chest, “fighting with you was kinda fun when we were married ... when there was make-up-sex to look forward to. But under these circumstances...”

She pushed him a little, but he didn’t budge; he only tightened his hold as he glared down at her.

Abruptly, Coraline’s eyes flashed silver and she snarled, “You’re hurting me. Let me go!” He did. She took a few steps away from Mick, and then smiled. “I know you won’t cheat on Beth. But that doesn’t change the fact that you still want me.”

“I don’t,” he stated flatly.

“Liar.”

Mick turned his back on his sire, and took two glasses from a shelf.

“I’m gonna have a drink. Would you like one?”

“Only if you have wine.”

Coraline settled herself on the sofa and waited in silence. A minute later, Mick approached and handed her the wine glass. He sat rigidly in the chair opposite and took a slug of his scotch. Coraline sighed and put her glass on the table between them.

“Exactly what do you want to know, Mick?”

“I need to know if Lance was telling the truth.”

Please, Coraline, for once, tell me the truth.

“That night,” she began in a carefully modulated tone, “he took me back to France. Our sire was ... displeased ... with me. He told me he was going to make an example of me, so that others would be more respectful of the rules in the future.” Coraline closed her eyes. “He held me for months. Lance used to visit from time to time. We talked about you, Mick. Often. Eventually ... on a night we both thought was my last ... Lance told me that you were a vampire – again – and that you were with Beth.”

Mick scrubbed his hand across his face.

“Did Lance tell you about my re-turning?”

“No. Josef did ... shortly after I came home. He even laughed when he told me how easy it was for you to throw away your mortality.”

“Bullshit!” Mick snarled, as he shot out of his chair and started to pace. “Josef knew it wasn’t an easy choice!”

“Of course, Josef always tells the truth. Always. Especially to me,” Coraline stated calmly. “Pay attention, Mick. I’m not the one who said it was easy.” She took a sip of wine. “You know there’s no love lost between me and Josef. And your surrogate-sire couldn’t wait to twist the knife in my back...”

She put down her glass, stood and collected her coat and purse. Mick watched from the kitchen as she started towards the door.

“Beth needed me.”

Coraline kept walking.

“She’s not like you.”

Coraline stopped and whispered, “Meaning?”

“You’re always in control.”

“How dare you?” Coraline spun around and spat, “Did I look like I had any control when Lance plunged that stake into my chest?”

“You went with him willingly!”

“To save your life, you ungrateful bastard. And you knew it.” She stalked back to the sofa and sat down. She was trembling. “All these years, you’ve hated me. Blamed me. Told everyone that I was responsible for turning you into a monster. Well, news flash, Mick! I turned you into a vampire. The monster part was all your own work. Look me in the eye and tell me you don’t love the power.”

“I don’t.”

“Liar.”

Mick barked a laugh, and resumed his seat opposite Coraline.

“That’s rich coming from you, considering that our entire marriage was based on a lie.”

“It’s true that I withheld certain information. And I misjudged your reaction to my wedding gift. But I didn’t lie to you, Mick. I always loved you.” She sighed. “Even after you staked me and set me on fire.”

Mick dropped his head.

“I had to save Beth–”

“By burning me alive? That was one hell of a crime of passion. You couldn’t think of a less extreme way to deal with the situation?”

“No.”

“Does Beth know what you’re capable of?”

Mick silently regarded his scotch.

“I’ll take that as a big ‘no’. That’s funny, actually, considering that you just said that our marriage was based on a lie.” Coraline laughed softly. “And you have no idea what your innocent princess is capable of, either.”

Mick took a deep swallow of his drink, and snarled, “Leave Beth out of this.”

“You’re the one who keeps bringing her into the conversation, Mick. I’m just surprised that with you being a PI and all, that you don’t know her better. You certainly have no problem interrogating me.”

Mick looked up, and his hazel eyes bored into Coraline’s deep brown ones.

“Not. Another. Word.”

Coraline picked up her wine glass, leaned back on the sofa, and waited. After a few minutes, Mick stood and went into the kitchen. He returned with his scotch in one hand and the wine bottle in the other.

Coraline proffered her glass, and Mick poured.

He sat down and took another gulp of liquor before he broke the silence.

“Lance implied that your sire may have been ... less harsh ... if I’d gone to plead on your behalf.”

Coraline’s hand fluttered elegantly before coming to rest on her lap.

“Perhaps.”

Mick leaned forward and said, “I need you to understand why I didn’t go after you.” He waited for a reaction, but Coraline only took a sip of her wine. “So much happened so quickly.” Mick frowned. “I’m not sure how much of this you already know. Josh – Beth’s boyfriend – had been murdered. You gave me The Cure ... and being mortal again felt so good. Then Beth and Talbot were taken by a vampire-plastic surgeon, who had a nice little sideline in rare blood types. I found out the hard way that I couldn’t protect Beth as a human, so Josef turned me back in order to rescue her. After that, I took a job as a security adviser to Tierney Taylor.” Mick paused just long enough to rub the bridge of his nose. “And then a vampire business associate of Josef’s threatened the safety of the entire L.A. vampire community. Justice was done – but that night, Beth and I hit a crisis point in our relationship.”

Mick looked at his ex-wife sitting opposite, but she merely regarded him silently, with her chin resting on one hand.

“Coraline? Are you gonna say anything?”

“Like what, Mick? That I completely understand why you just got on with your immortal life here, while I was being tortured every night in France?”

“After everything you’ve done ... all the pain you’ve inflicted–”

“Do not try to tell me what happened was justice!” She could see Mick was seething, but at least he had enough sense to keep his thoughts to himself. “At the time we met,” Coraline continued, in a softer tone, “well let’s just say I had plenty of suitors ... but I fell in love with you, Mick. I fell hopelessly, desperately in love for the first time in my long life. Everything I did from that point was for you. I took Beth because you wanted a family–”

“You destroyed her life!”

“How? By giving her a beautiful room that was every little girl’s dream? Worse things than that happen to children every day.”

“You still don’t get it, do you?” Mick demanded icily.

“Get what, exactly? What am I supposed to understand, Mick? I know that Beth broke into my home, went through my possessions, and then hunted me down and stabbed me with a wooden stake! That was premeditated almost-murder. But Beth gets a free-pass on everything because when she was four years old, she spent a few days in a beautiful room.” Coraline leaned forward. “In all the years we were married, did you ever once wonder what I had to do just to survive until I was old enough to escape from my family?”

“Coraline–”

“You started this, Mick. Now let me speak. I persuaded Cynthia to study biochemistry just to help me research The Cure, for you. I incurred the wrath of my family, for you. And I literally traded my life for yours when I went with Lance.” Coraline closed her eyes. “So don’t you dare try to tell me that I got what I deserved. I have been paying for decades for the crime of falling in love with Mick St. John.” She stood up and pulled her coat on, before turning back to Mick. “As I explained at Emma and Josef’s wedding, I only returned to L.A. to recover. I haven’t interfered in your relationship with Beth. And I adore Emma. So I plan to stay for a while. For all our sakes, Mick, I hope we can put this behind us.”

Coraline walked across the room, but stopped a few feet from the door and looked back.

“You said you need me to understand why you didn’t make any attempt to save me. Well, I think I understand the whole situation better than you understand it yourself. To Beth, you’re her sexy vampire. To Emma, you’re her perfect big brother. And when Lance and his servant caught us in the alley, you fought so hard to protect me, even though you knew you didn’t stand a chance. You should have run, but then you were always a brave knight errant.” Coraline smiled sadly. “But you know something, Mick? Whenever it was that you made the ruthless, pragmatic decision to forget about me ... that was the moment you really turned into a monster.”

Coraline paused to let her words sink in. Mick just stared at her with a slack-jawed expression, looking like he’d forgotten how to speak. She took one step towards him, but stopped herself from taking a second, because at that moment the distance between them was insurmountable.

The pain etched in his face broke her heart.

Nevertheless, she refused allow Mick to continue to dismiss her sacrifice.

“No matter what you told yourself – or anyone else – it was never about me being a Bitch Goddess; it was all about your pride. You’re the toughest vampire in L.A. and you revel in it. Lance is the only one to ever get the better of you, and your pride couldn’t take that. With your alpha-male ego, it was easier for you to pretend that I didn’t matter anymore, rather than admit that you weren’t strong enough to rescue me. That’s your Achilles heel, Mick.” She opened the door and added, “Just remember that pride is one of the seven deadly sins, so if you’re looking for absolution, I suggest you try a church.”

Without looking back, Coraline pulled the door closed behind her.

She drove home in the pre-dawn light, and immediately retreated to her freezer. Yet even safely wrapped in the cocoon of numbing darkness, the memories flooded back and overwhelmed her.

Forward to Six Months.
Beautiful tag courtesy of SirenSong.
Image My fanfic index. My banner art.

Each player must accept the cards life deals him. But once they are in hand, he alone must decide how to play the cards in order to win the game. Voltaire.
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Re: Facing Demons. PG-13 (sequel to Family Reunion)

Post by wpgrace »

Oh they do fight! And this seems so typical of them... they say ugly stuff, they say true stuff, she gets up to leave, she sits back down, they keep drinking together (and he keeps politely refilling her glass...) all thru the confrontation... SOOOO Mick and Cora!

This IS reallllly sad. And they're both right and they're both wrong. They never quite see the same event from the same perspective, do they? And they never quite get satisfaction from one another... she got the last word in, but she didn't leave contented; and I gotta guess he's still roiling after she walks out... bless em both. And I don't envy Emma, when the 3 of them gather once again... talk about awkward...

Mick not going after Coraline, after her sacrifice, was so counter to his usual personality and it has bugged many of us ever since TMC and all that followed. It didn't make any sense for him... but she's right; why else WOULD he have done it but he was absorbed in Beth (which is not a crime, but still... honor and duty) AND, very interesting supposition on Cora's part, he didn't like being bested by Lance (and I love how you have her really seeing Lance as her brother; he's a jerk, but he's her brother and they DO seem to have their relationship...).

Btw, I love Cora's assertion that she made Mick a vampire; the monster part is his own contribution. I'm not so sure that THAT wasn't the coup de grace in this encounter... :clapping:
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by francis »

This was really great. I love how you manage to use dialogue to convey emotion. I think they both don't have it quite right, but they each are entitled to their interpretation. But I also think they both have something here. He never asked for Coraline again, and he made no attempt to go after her, not even asking about her anymore. I know he could just blame it on the writers of the show, but maybe it really was fear of Lance, or the fact that he wanted to savour the cure and knew he couldn't save her anyway while human, and then he just tried to make it work with Beth conveniently forgetting about his crazy ex-wife, again, like in 1984. But she haunted him all the time, how could he forget her like that?
It hurt Coraline, and I understand her point. On the other hand, I'm not sure it was pride on his part. He might have rationalized his actions by thinking he couldn't do anything, he finally should get over her, yada yada. But it sure was cruel.
I love that this story is making me think. What more can a reader ask for? I don't have to have the same opinion on things that the characters have, right? Wonderful story. :wave:
coco
Cleaner

Post by coco »

I'm in total agreement with francis here. This is a really, really great story, Phee. I read it earlier and had to stop and think about what I wanted to post in response. Not because I didn't want to say anything but just that the story made me stop and pause and think about things. I don't necessarily agree with some of what the characters said here but I do adore that it has this effect on me.

You can add me to the list of people who always wondered why he just left her. Totally not a Mick thing to do. His reasons for it - well you've certainly given us all something to think about. :thumbs:
coco's Fan Vids/coco's Graphic Art
Avi by TugaFanatic & banner by me. Thank you.

"Maybe it was her blood in my veins that let me feel her. The beating of her very living heart. Or maybe, we've always been connected." Mick & Beth - Moonlight

coco's YT channel
coco's Vimeo channel
100% Moonlight Tumblr
:twothumbs:
Phoenix
Moonlightaholic Founder

Post by Phoenix »

wpgrace wrote:Oh they do fight! And this seems so typical of them... they say ugly stuff, they say true stuff, she gets up to leave, she sits back down, they keep drinking together (and he keeps politely refilling her glass...) all thru the confrontation... SOOOO Mick and Cora!

This IS reallllly sad. And they're both right and they're both wrong. They never quite see the same event from the same perspective, do they? And they never quite get satisfaction from one another... she got the last word in, but she didn't leave contented; and I gotta guess he's still roiling after she walks out... bless em both. And I don't envy Emma, when the 3 of them gather once again... talk about awkward...

Mick not going after Coraline, after her sacrifice, was so counter to his usual personality and it has bugged many of us ever since TMC and all that followed. It didn't make any sense for him... but she's right; why else WOULD he have done it but he was absorbed in Beth (which is not a crime, but still... honor and duty) AND, very interesting supposition on Cora's part, he didn't like being bested by Lance (and I love how you have her really seeing Lance as her brother; he's a jerk, but he's her brother and they DO seem to have their relationship...).

Btw, I love Cora's assertion that she made Mick a vampire; the monster part is his own contribution. I'm not so sure that THAT wasn't the coup de grace in this encounter... :clapping:
Thank you, Grace. :hug: I'm so glad you, um, appreciated the story. (Clearly enjoy is not the right word.) It was extremely unpleasant to write, as I'm sure it's extremely unpleasant to read. I'm underwhelmed with it, but it was driving me nuts so I just had to let it go. :slaphead:

Yeah, Coraline got the last word, but it broke her heart to get it. I hate to think what Mick was like after she left. And I don't want to know what Emma's next lesson was like. Would anyone like a knife to cut that air? :whistle:

It was incredibly difficult to try and get into Mick's head and figure out why he behaved as he did. :sadface: And as strange and complicated as their sibling relationship is, Cora and Lance did grow close ... as is explored in the final story.

And I told you Cora got the real zinger in. :?
francis wrote:This was really great. I love how you manage to use dialogue to convey emotion. I think they both don't have it quite right, but they each are entitled to their interpretation. But I also think they both have something here. He never asked for Coraline again, and he made no attempt to go after her, not even asking about her anymore. I know he could just blame it on the writers of the show, but maybe it really was fear of Lance, or the fact that he wanted to savour the cure and knew he couldn't save her anyway while human, and then he just tried to make it work with Beth conveniently forgetting about his crazy ex-wife, again, like in 1984. But she haunted him all the time, how could he forget her like that?
It hurt Coraline, and I understand her point. On the other hand, I'm not sure it was pride on his part. He might have rationalized his actions by thinking he couldn't do anything, he finally should get over her, yada yada. But it sure was cruel.
I love that this story is making me think. What more can a reader ask for? I don't have to have the same opinion on things that the characters have, right? Wonderful story. :wave:
Thank you, Francis. :hug: For the record, I agree with both of them on some points, and absolutely disagree with both of them on other points. :dizzy: (Just please don't ask me which is which, because I'm not prepared to answer that in public.)
coco wrote:I'm in total agreement with francis here. This is a really, really great story, Phee. I read it earlier and had to stop and think about what I wanted to post in response. Not because I didn't want to say anything but just that the story made me stop and pause and think about things. I don't necessarily agree with some of what the characters said here but I do adore that it has this effect on me.

You can add me to the list of people who always wondered why he just left her. Totally not a Mick thing to do. His reasons for it - well you've certainly given us all something to think about. :thumbs:
Thank you, Coco. :hug: I am thrilled that it's making readers think about the situation (again).

To all three of you, I'm incredibly grateful for your feedback. I'm normally nervous before I post, but I almost abandoned this story altogether. It was just so dark, difficult, and depressing. So many unhealed wounds.

Yet it needed to be written. :quill: :witsend: :hankie: :confused2: :banghead:

(I'm gonna write some completely gratuitous smut next, before I get back to Josef & Emma's dramas...) :sigh:

Each player must accept the cards life deals him. But once they are in hand, he alone must decide how to play the cards in order to win the game. Voltaire.
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

I agree Phee... this needed to be written. One does not have to "like" or "get" Coraline to note that NOT going after the damsel in distress, whatever you may attribute her motivation to have been in sacrificing herself for him, is just not in character for Mick. So something had to be done about that horrible oversight on the writers' part... and since we all buy into the mythology that Mick actually lives, no HE can't blame his actions on the writers... :snicker:

And I did enjoy it... vamp fan. A little dark, or actually a whole lotta dark in this one, is actually enjoyable...

Tho I WILL take the smutty smut anytime, Sister-Phee! :clapping:

Btw... GA DID write a fic where, even in their bliss, Mick announces to Beth that he needs to go after Cora. Belated, but he did come around...
If anyone is interested and hasn't read that one, it is called Promise Forever, and here is a link: viewtopic.php?f=63&t=2480
So at least one other author HAS tried to contend with Mick's behavioral aberration...
I'd love to know if there are any more that I'm either forgetting or just haven't seen...
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)
GuardianAngel
Courtesan

Post by GuardianAngel »

Thank you, Phoenix, for continuing this story. I really needed to see them hash this out. Although I don't think you can call it closure - I don't think there will ever be closure for these two.
“To save your life, you ungrateful bastard. And you knew it.” She stalked back to the sofa and sat down. She was trembling. “All these years, you’ve hated me. Blamed me. Told everyone that I was responsible for turning you into a monster. Well, news flash, Mick! I turned you into a vampire. The monster part was all your own work. Look me in the eye and tell me you don’t love the power.”

“I don’t.”

“Liar.”
Cora gets major props for calling him on this. Vampires get to choose how they act, right? Mick himself is a perfect example. The life he's chosen to live right now is totally different than before. I've always thought the man had a dark side - one that was there BEFORE he became a vampire and Coraline had nothing to do with it.
Mick leaned forward and said, “I need you to understand why I didn’t go after you.” He waited for a reaction, but Coraline only took a sip of her wine. “So much happened so quickly.” Mick frowned. “I’m not sure how much of this you already know. Josh – Beth’s boyfriend – had been murdered. You gave me The Cure ... and being mortal again felt so good. Then Beth and Talbot were taken by a vampire-plastic surgeon, who had a nice little sideline in rare blood types. I found out the hard way that I couldn’t protect Beth as a human, so Josef turned me back in order to rescue her. After that, I took a job as a security adviser to Tierney Taylor.” Mick paused just long enough to rub the bridge of his nose. “And then a vampire business associate of Josef’s threatened the safety of the entire L.A. vampire community. Justice was done – but that night, Beth and I hit a crisis point in our relationship.”
It's true, but boy did that sound lame. He'd have been better off not filling her in - this was no excuse at all.

I like that Coraline is consistant. She believed she gave Mick the greatest gift she could by Turning him. She thought the same thing when she kidnapped Beth and she unapologetic about it. She doesn't see what the fuss is all about. She does not see being a vampire as a curse. But she does acknowledge that Mick does. Which is why she's looked into The Cure. For him. And she's got nothing in return from him. Only heartache.

Mick treats Coraline as if she is incapable of pain. But anyone who can love can be hurt.

I have trouble believing that Mick would have left Coraline to meet whatever punishment awaited her in Paris. Yes, he sees himself as the injureed, wronged party in their relationship because she took away his choice. But he loved her once, even if he doesn't any longer. And she sacrificed herself for him. No way would he just put it out of him mind.

ETA: :hug: grace, thanks for the plug. I hate that the show writers dropped that storyline. It didn't ring true that Mick would have dismissed it.
Phoenix
Moonlightaholic Founder

Post by Phoenix »

wpgrace wrote:I agree Phee... this needed to be written. One does not have to "like" or "get" Coraline to note that NOT going after the damsel in distress, whatever you may attribute her motivation to have been in sacrificing herself for him, is just not in character for Mick. So something had to be done about that horrible oversight on the writers' part... and since we all buy into the mythology that Mick actually lives, no HE can't blame his actions on the writers... :snicker:

And I did enjoy it... vamp fan. A little dark, or actually a whole lotta dark in this one, is actually enjoyable...

Tho I WILL take the smutty smut anytime, Sister-Phee! :clapping:

Btw... GA DID write a fic where, even in their bliss, Mick announces to Beth that he needs to go after Cora. Belated, but he did come around...
If anyone is interested and hasn't read that one, it is called Promise Forever, and here is a link: viewtopic.php?f=63&t=2480
So at least one other author HAS tried to contend with Mick's behavioral aberration...
I'd love to know if there are any more that I'm either forgetting or just haven't seen...
What is this "mythology" you speak of? We all know that Mick lives in L.A., with an increasingly complicated bunch of friends. :whistle: Those folks who were chronicling the lives of Mick & co. really messed up, though, neglecting to inform us that he did actually rescue Coraline.

I'm glad you enjoyed it, Grace. I managed to make myself completely miserable writing it, for a number of reasons. :bmoon:

The smut is a work-in-progress. :hyper: (She found a novel use for champagne...) And that story will be improved by a beta, so it will read better than the last three I've written. :blushing:
GuardianAngel wrote:Thank you, Phoenix, for continuing this story. I really needed to see them hash this out. Although I don't think you can call it closure - I don't think there will ever be closure for these two.

“I don’t.”

“Liar.”
Cora gets major props for calling him on this. Vampires get to choose how they act, right? Mick himself is a perfect example. The life he's chosen to live right now is totally different than before. I've always thought the man had a dark side - one that was there BEFORE he became a vampire and Coraline had nothing to do with it.
It's true, but boy did that sound lame. He'd have been better off not filling her in - this was no excuse at all.

I like that Coraline is consistant. She believed she gave Mick the greatest gift she could by Turning him. She thought the same thing when she kidnapped Beth and she unapologetic about it. She doesn't see what the fuss is all about. She does not see being a vampire as a curse. But she does acknowledge that Mick does. Which is why she's looked into The Cure. For him. And she's got nothing in return from him. Only heartache.

Mick treats Coraline as if she is incapable of pain. But anyone who can love can be hurt.

I have trouble believing that Mick would have left Coraline to meet whatever punishment awaited her in Paris. Yes, he sees himself as the injureed, wronged party in their relationship because she took away his choice. But he loved her once, even if he doesn't any longer. And she sacrificed herself for him. No way would he just put it out of him mind.

ETA: :hug: grace, thanks for the plug. I hate that the show writers dropped that storyline. It didn't ring true that Mick would have dismissed it.
Thank you, GuardianAngel. :hug: ITA, it isn't closure for either of them - but it needed to be said, nevertheless.

I also agree that Mick was a bad boy when he met Coraline. I love Mick, (which looks really bad written down :blushing: ), but he does do a lot of whining about being turned, when we've all seen that he intimidates every vamp bar Josef and Lance, and Mick enjoys it.

Yeah, when Mick tried to justify his inaction, he was in a hole and he just kept digging. :slaphead: Coraline can be selfish and totally ruthless, but I believe that she loves Mick, and always has.

For the record: this trilogy evolved on the back of an established series, rather than being planned as a 'stand alone' set. If I had planned all three in the beginning, I may have gone in a different direction with the story, but these vignettes needed to fit into an already written time-line.

allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Phoenix, I loved this story. You absolutely NAILED Mick and Coraline here. The two of them, each with their own view, unable to see each other's point, each one's view distorted by their own baggage. Mick desperate to explain his confusing failure to go to France on Coraline's behalf, and failing miserably. Coraline still baffled by Mick's response to her wedding gift, and unable to understand why Mick thought she had been wrong to want to turn Beth when she was a child. Both of them (sometimes) telling the truth as they see it, but hopelessly unable to make the other see that truth in a way that they can accept it. Both of them deliberately saying things to hurt the other, out of pain and frustration. :sigh: I really do ache for both of them.

This story is the perfect encapsulation of Mick's and Coraline's relationship. Full of passion, misunderstanding, anger, pain, love, hate, frustration, and yearning. They want so much to reach across the gulf between them. The parts of them that can reach across are the love and the passion--and the hurtfulness, too--but not the understanding. :bmoon:

For what it's worth, I think Coraline is probably right that Mick allowed himself to dither and find excuses for not rescuing her, because he was afraid of failing. To me, it must have been incredibly chilling for Mick to see Josef's opinion of Lance and the DuValls. Mick had already had a good taste of Lance's strength. Knowing that Josef wouldn't risk an encounter with him? Eeek. So Mick uses his mortality, and then his new job, and then the Emma/Dominic/Jackson crisis, and then his own crisis and new relationship with Beth as excuses. Mick is a bit of a passive-aggressive anyway, and this situation would bring that out in a big way. He'd put off the decision till it made itself. Not such a knight in shining armor, but then again, Mick doesn't always live up to his own--or anyone else's--standards.

I'm curious-- does this story take place before Emma and Coraline go to Sidney...? (Ties that Bind, Ch. 2) If it does, it would offer some insight into that limo ride home from the airport... :whistle:
Phoenix
Moonlightaholic Founder

Post by Phoenix »

allegrita wrote:Phoenix, I loved this story. You absolutely NAILED Mick and Coraline here. The two of them, each with their own view, unable to see each other's point, each one's view distorted by their own baggage. Mick desperate to explain his confusing failure to go to France on Coraline's behalf, and failing miserably. Coraline still baffled by Mick's response to her wedding gift, and unable to understand why Mick thought she had been wrong to want to turn Beth when she was a child. Both of them (sometimes) telling the truth as they see it, but hopelessly unable to make the other see that truth in a way that they can accept it. Both of them deliberately saying things to hurt the other, out of pain and frustration. :sigh: I really do ache for both of them.

Thanks, Allegrita. :hug: This story was so hard to write, on many levels; emotionally, first and foremost, but also technically, as the plot needed to dovetail with a story written a year or so ago. Twice, I was moments away from deleting the story, as I felt it wasn't working and was beyond being salvageable.

I felt both empathy, and extreme dislike, for both of them in this "scene".
allegrita wrote:This story is the perfect encapsulation of Mick's and Coraline's relationship. Full of passion, misunderstanding, anger, pain, love, hate, frustration, and yearning. They want so much to reach across the gulf between them. The parts of them that can reach across are the love and the passion--and the hurtfulness, too--but not the understanding. :bmoon:
As Lance would say: That's true.
allegrita wrote:For what it's worth, I think Coraline is probably right that Mick allowed himself to dither and find excuses for not rescuing her, because he was afraid of failing. To me, it must have been incredibly chilling for Mick to see Josef's opinion of Lance and the DuValls. Mick had already had a good taste of Lance's strength. Knowing that Josef wouldn't risk an encounter with him? Eeek. So Mick uses his mortality, and then his new job, and then the Emma/Dominic/Jackson crisis, and then his own crisis and new relationship with Beth as excuses. Mick is a bit of a passive-aggressive anyway, and this situation would bring that out in a big way. He'd put off the decision till it made itself. Not such a knight in shining armor, but then again, Mick doesn't always live up to his own--or anyone else's--standards.
Lance DuVall was - to me - the most terrifying vampire we ever saw. :eek2: Josef's reaction to hearing about him made it all a hundred times worse. I don't blame Mick at all for not wanting to cross paths with Lance again. While I do believe that Lance lives by a certain code of ethics, it's one that he created for himself over several centuries, and is probably difficult for anyone else to understand.

I hadn't consciously thought of Mick as being passive-aggressive, but ITA with you.

BTW, for those unfamiliar with this "alternative universe", Mick has taken on the role of big brother to Emma, (Josef's fledgling-bride), and she absolutely adores Mick. Emma looks at Mick as though he can do no wrong, and he enjoys playing the hero for her.
allegrita wrote:I'm curious-- does this story take place before Emma and Coraline go to Sidney...? (Ties that Bind, Ch. 2) If it does, it would offer some insight into that limo ride home from the airport... :whistle:
Yes, it takes place before Emma & Cora take their mini-vacation to Sydney. And the limo ride when they get home. :rolling: (Sorry for laughing, Mick...)

mitzie
Courtesan

Post by mitzie »

This is so intense and powerful that I've read it 3 times. Mick and Coraline's perceptions about each other and themselves are both warped. I don't think they will ever understand each other. I do not believe Mick was anywhere near being a saint when he was turned. I think he had baggage that he brought with him when Coraline turned him.

This is so heartbreaking and gut wrenching!! :hankie: :sigh: I truly enjoyed it as I love the darker stories, this makes me think and feel. It is truly excellent and needed to be written and posted!! This one is a true gem!!!! :notworthy: :worship:

:thanks: :thanks: for writing this!!!! Your writing is absolutely exquisite!!!!!! :yahoo: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :hyper2: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :thud: :thud: :thud: :thud: :notworthy: :worship: :heart: :flowers:

Bravo!!!!

mitzie :mooncat:
Phoenix
Moonlightaholic Founder

Post by Phoenix »

mitzie wrote:This is so intense and powerful that I've read it 3 times. Mick and Coraline's perceptions about each other and themselves are both warped. I don't think they will ever understand each other. I do not believe Mick was anywhere near being a saint when he was turned. I think he had baggage that he brought with him when Coraline turned him.

This is so heartbreaking and gut wrenching!! :hankie: :sigh: I truly enjoyed it as I love the darker stories, this makes me think and feel. It is truly excellent and needed to be written and posted!! This one is a true gem!!!! :notworthy: :worship:

:thanks: :thanks: for writing this!!!! Your writing is absolutely exquisite!!!!!! :yahoo: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :hyper2: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :thud: :thud: :thud: :thud: :notworthy: :worship: :heart: :flowers:

Bravo!!!!

mitzie :mooncat:
Awww, thanks so much, Mitzie. :hug: I've read it more than three times - but I had to. :?

Mick and Coraline's relationship is so intense, it magnifies the good and the bad aspects. Obviously, Coraline was trouble, but Mick was no choir boy when they met. :noway:

Thank you for your very kind words ... and all the emoticons. :giggle:

cassysj
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by cassysj »

I loved this story. Coraline is right Mick is blind to Beth's faults and what she's willing to do. Also, the nerve of Mick wanting to make himself feel better by explaining his reasons. Coraline's right go to confession. :clapping:
Phoenix
Moonlightaholic Founder

Post by Phoenix »

cassysj wrote:I loved this story. Coraline is right Mick is blind to Beth's faults and what she's willing to do. Also, the nerve of Mick wanting to make himself feel better by explaining his reasons. Coraline's right go to confession. :clapping:
Thanks, Carol. :hug:

RangerCM
Rogue vampire

Post by RangerCM »

The confrontation that had to be. Yep. Yep.
banner by Cprav

Return to “Family Values ~ Coraline, Lance & Mick”