1986 Independence Day Forgiveness Series

cassysj
100% Moonlightaholic

1986 Independence Day Forgiveness Series

Post by cassysj »

I do not own any recognizable characters no copyright infringement is intended.

"Sarah I need to talk to you about something. Anne said.

"Sure. What’s going on?

"I want to go to New York for the hundredth anniversary of the Statue of Liberty.

"We used to go to the Statue of Liberty so often when I was little. I don’t think Charles will mind as long as you stay with Hope."

"Sarah that’s not my problem. Riley wants to take me to New York for the celebration."

"Riley? Why Mother you’re not even engaged. Sarah reprimanded

"Sarah that’s only part of my problem. I don’t think he realizes I’m too old for him."

"Mother, Riley is almost 150 you’re 74."

"But he only looks 50. Such a young looking 50 too. I’ll look like his mother.

"He doesn’t think of you that way. Since he moved to LA the two of you go out all the time."

Anne frowned "I know but last time we went out someone said. How nice for a son to take his mother out for the day.
As if I were on a day pass from the old folks home. "

"Well Mother if you’re not comfortable tell him you don’t want to go with him.

"But I do want to go with him! Did you know he lived in New York when the Statue arrived in 1886? That was the last year he was human. He went with his wife and daughter and new born grandson. He also wants me to fly out with him a week before the holiday to see his great great great granddaughter graduate Yale."

"He’s kept track of his family. Sarah said curiously

"Oh yes. They don’t know who he is but he’s attended every college graduation and funeral. I want to go with him. This is his first Ivy League graduation he’s so proud he wants to share it with someone."

"I think you should go. Sarah said.

"Sarah even if I didn’t look like an old woman next to him. It’s not appropriate. As you said we’re not even engaged.

"Mother times have changed. It’s all right to travel with a man. Sarah said

"A lady never would have done that in my time.

"If you’re not comfortable staying in a hotel with him stay with Hope.

"That’s fine in New York but what about Connecticut? When we go to Yale he’ll want to stay in the same hotel. It’s not proper for a lady to be by herself in a hotel."

"Mother who’s going to find out?

"Sarah it just goes against how I was raised. It’s scandalous! Could you come with me? If I shared a room with you it wouldn’t be inappropriate."

"Mother you know Charles won’t let me go to New York with you. He’s afraid we’d run into someone we knew.

"Sarah please ask him. Anne begged

"He’ll say no. If you ask him, he might agree. He has trouble turning you down."

"I can’t talk about this with Charles.

"Why not?

"I’d have to tell him I want to go away with a man. He’d lose all respect for me."

"Mother this is silly". Sarah looked at her mother and she was so disappointed.

"Mother I’ll figure something out.

"I knew you would.

Later that evening.

"Charles, Mother wants to go to New York for the Independence Day celebrations.

"Well as long as she stays with Hope. Charles said dismissively

"She wants to go with Riley. They want to go to New Haven for a few days and then New York."

"Anne’s become liberated. Charles said. "As long as she’s with an approved vampire it’s fine with me.

"She wants me to go with her.

Charles put his paper down. "No. It’s too risky."

"She doesn’t think it’s respectable to stay in a hotel room alone.

Charles shrugged. "Then tell her to sleep with Riley.

"Don’t you dare tease her about this Charles Fitzgerald. She really wants to go but she’s stuck in 1930’s mentality."

"You can’t go to New York with her, Sarah."

"What about New Haven? I could chaperone there and she would stay with Hope in New York.

"Sarah this is ridiculous but I can live with that.

"Great now you have to let Mother think it’s your idea.

"Why?

"Because you can’t know she even considered going away with a man by herself. You won’t respect her anymore.

"I'm almost 400 years old. Respectability has changed through the centuries. You can't be serious.

Yes I am

"All right. I’ll come up with something.

The next evening.

Sarah and Anne are playing cards when Charles comes home from work.

"Anne I’m so glad you’re here.

"Hi Charles.

"I had a very strange phone call today.

"From who?

"Riley. He called me and said he wants to take you on a vacation.

"Yes. New Haven and New York for the Fourth.

"I told him I thought New York was fine and you would probably stay with Hope.

"Absolutely. I love visiting with Hope. But New Haven……

"I told him you’re a lady and I am not going to let him sully your reputation. If he wants to take you to New Haven I’m sending Sarah to share a suite with you.

Anne was beaming. Sarah thought she was old-fashioned but Charles understood the importance of such things.

"I think that’s a wonderful idea. Anne said. Does Riley have a problem with that?"

"Of course not. He is a gentleman after all.
Last edited by cassysj on Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Re: 1986 Independence Day Forgiveness Series

Post by francis »

I love how your theme of forgiveness goes through the years, having conflicts and making up is what makes life. And you always manage to find something that ties in with the holiday you write about, like independence this time.
:heart: :flowers:
cassysj
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by cassysj »

Thank you! They just re-opened the Statue of Liberty in New York and it reminded me of the big celebration twenty years ago. I decided Anne would definitely want to be there.
cassysj
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by cassysj »

Giving a little bump to my Sarah and Charles story.
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

I need to go back and read this whole story. I love this little snippet! Good for Josef (oops, I mean Charles) for respecting Anne's feelings. :hearts:

Return to “Forgiveness”